• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin prices hit new record high of over $2200 (10/13 Update: peaked at $5,829)

FreezeSSC

Bitcoin is the grandfather, if you will, that's stuck in the past. Eth is the rebellious grandson that will overthrow his grandfather's legacy. ETH hype is real

What makes ETH so great? Just looked it up and didnt really understand what makes it better than bitcoin.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Can someone give me a quick run down on something.

What was up with the various exchanges that went under? Did those people lose money?

The wallet's that people put on their own hard drives, since their is a ledger are those people able to copy the file for backups?

How long would it take to cash out let's say 11,000 bitcoins? Would you be able to withdraw it all? Would it equal 22 million $ in your bank account?

kotodama

What was up with the various exchanges that went under? Did those people lose money?

The wallet's that people put on their own hard drives, since their is a ledger are those people able to copy the file for backups?

How long would it take to cash out let's say 11,000 bitcoins? Would you be able to withdraw it all? Would it equal 22 million $ in your bank account?

Those exchanges that went under, either got hacked, didn't have enough volume or were doing some shady Madoff type stuff. I know people did lose money on the Mt. Gox thing and I definitely got screwed by Bitfinex.

When your money is on an exchange, it's not in your wallet so you can't save that. A good rule of thumb is if you don't control the wallet then it's actually not your money.

If you're doing Over The Counter trading or something like Gemini Auctions then you could probably liquidate 11,000 BTC in a day or a couple weeks.. don't know if the price would survive that action, but it did during the WhaleBear incident. Something like 30,000 btc was sold in a couple hours, but that was like around $300USD/BTC.

Brandson

What makes ETH so great? Just looked it up and didnt really understand what makes it better than bitcoin.

In addition to being used as a currency, ETH has the ability to have programmable logic associated with it, has much faster and cheaper transaction times, and could allow large application-style functionality to be more easily built on it than Bitcoin. There is a lot of potential there that several big tech companies and financial institutions are experimenting with. In the future there are also plans to transition the underlying verification of transactions from a proof-of-work system to a proof-of-stake system, where dedicating your ETH store to the blockchain is used to verify the transactions, as opposed to mining. That should cause prices to get a big bump if that is actually implemented successfully.

Some of the current price increase is driven by hype, and some by forward-thinking companies acquiring ETH now while it's cheap, to be used for their future applications later, in the event that Ethereum actually becomes the home base for future application layers.

The delays in getting verified on an exchange and being able to deposit funds there are currently causing a 1-3 week delay between news hitting and price movement occurring. There was just a lot of news released this week which caused a big bump, but also more public awareness. So people are just finding out about Ethereum this week, and if they want to buy some, it will take them a few weeks to act on it, so the benefits of this week's news will likely be felt for a while still. The exchanges need to get faster at verifying new users.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!

Well I lost the 200,000 Dogecoins I had in Cryptsy. thankfully I knew to never put all my eggs in one basket.

reKon

Banned
For the GAFers who have invested in bitcoin and are benefiting off this, once you sell and become rich, please help me pay off the remainder of my student loan. I'm not an asshole person (i.e. Trump supporter).

Thanks in advance!

Kenstar

For the GAFers who have invested in bitcoin and are benefiting off this, once you sell and become rich, please help me pay off the remainder of my student loan. I'm not an asshole person (i.e. Trump supporter).

Thanks in advance!

If ETH hit's $1k a pop I will send you .5ETH
If it dives at 999.99 you get nothing
you have my word, favorite this page or whatever
Do you agree to the terms and conditions listed above?
[ ] Yes
[ ] Ok

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Those exchanges that went under, either got hacked, didn't have enough volume or were doing some shady Madoff type stuff. I know people did lose money on the Mt. Gox thing and I definitely got screwed by Bitfinex.

When your money is on an exchange, it's not in your wallet so you can't save that. A good rule of thumb is if you don't control the wallet then it's actually not your money.

If you're doing Over The Counter trading or something like Gemini Auctions then you could probably liquidate 11,000 BTC in a day or a couple weeks.. don't know if the price would survive that action, but it did during the WhaleBear incident. Something like 30,000 btc was sold in a couple hours, but that was like around $300USD/BTC.

Coinbase has a daily sell limit.. it takes weeks.

Well I lost the 200,000 Dogecoins I had in Cryptsy. thankfully I knew to never put all my eggs in one basket.

Thanks for the answers. Damn, I feel really dumb for not getting into bitcoin when I first heard about it. I even remember people starting to build rigs to mine them even before there were many out there.

About the wallet on a drive, can you make backups of them?

Brandson

Thanks for the answers. Damn, I feel really dumb for not getting into bitcoin when I first heard about it. I even remember people starting to build rigs to mine them even before there were many out there.

About the wallet on a drive, can you make backups of them?

If you have a significant portfolio of cryptocurrency, consider getting something like a Ledger Nano S hardware wallet (ledgerwallet.com), and even better, a pair of them so you can use one as a backup, with the ability to use them interchangeably. Then if one dies or is lost, get another one so you always have 2. If you have less than $1000 in value, then a hardware wallet might not make sense until that value grows.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bitcoin surges 11% to all-time high above $2,700; Has now doubled in May

In another intraday jump of more than $300, bitcoin surged to a record Thursday on strong Asian demand overnight.

Bitcoin jumped more than 12 percent to an all-time high of $2,791.70, more than twice its April 30 price of $1,347.96 according to CoinDesk. The digital currency later lost some ground to trade at $2,779.81.

At Thursday's record, bitcoin has now gained more than 45 percent in a week and more than 180 percent this year.

"There is no question that we are in the middle of a price frenzy," Brian Kelly of BKCM said in a note to clients Thursday. "There will be a correction and it could be severe, but it's unclear if that correction will start from current prices of $2700 or from some place much higher."

Kelly, a CNBC contributor, manages a hedge fund focused on digital currencies.

The globally traded asset swept past $2,400 and $2,500 on Wednesday Eastern Time, following a late Tuesday announcement that brought some resolution to a heated debate about the future development of the digital currency. The Digital Currency Group said in an online Medium post that 83 percent of bitcoin miners supported a "Bitcoin Scaling Agreement" for a specific technological upgrade.

Bitcoin prices then pushed higher overnight as demand from Japan, China and South Korea remained solid.

Trade denominated in the Japanese yen accounted for about 31 percent of trade volume Thursday morning Eastern Time, while Chinese yuan and Korean won accounted for 16 and 12 percent, respectively, according to CryptoCompare.

Japanese interest in bitcoin has risen ever since the government approved bitcoin as a legal payment method in April. Over the weekend, yen-denominated trade volume accounted for more than half of total volume, helping send bitcoin above $2,000 for the first time.

Gains in bitcoin accelerated this week amid two major digital currency conferences in New York: Consensus and the Token Summit.

Digital currency enthusiasts at the summit's pre-event reception Wednesday evening attributed bitcoin's rise to increased uses for the currency, the scaling agreement, and interest in other cryptocurrencies such as ethereum, which some see as a potential structure for a decentralized, next-generation internet.

Also called ether, the currency has run up more than 2,000 percent this year, while bitcoin has more than doubled in price.

XxYBejP.png

FTF

Ok I'm completely ignorant on this subject...how does one go about buying, selling and trading bitcoins?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BTC crashing hard currently, down 13% in a matter of minutes :lol

Not surprising considering how high it peaked.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-price-blows-past-2500-2600-and-2700-2017-5

The bitcoin rally looks like it's finally running out of steam.

The cryptocurrency blew past $2,500 and nearly touched $2,800 for the first time on Thursday, before giving all the gains back.

It hit a high of $2,799, up $360, before surrendering its gains. The cryptocurrency is now trading down 2.2% at $2,400 a coin. It has gained in 26 of the past 29 sessions, tacking on more than 107% over that time.

Bitcoin had climbed as much as 25% since Tuesday's close, propelled by news that the Digital Currency Group, representing 56 companies in 21 countries, reached a scaling agreement at the Consensus 2017 conference in New York.

The announcement was the latest bit of good news for the cryptocurrency. In early April, Japan announced bitcoin had become a legal payment method in the country. Additionally, Ulmart, Russia's largest online retailer, said it would begin accepting bitcoin even though Russia had said it wouldn't explore the cryptocurrency until 2018.

But the market is still waiting on a ruling by the US Securities and Exchange Commission on whether it will overturn its decision on the Winklevoss twins' bitcoin exchange-traded fund. The SEC was accepting public comment on that decision until May 15, but it hasn't announced whether it will overturn its rejection of the ETF.

Bitcoin has gained 156% this year.

s7ALTpx.png

Somnid

Considering getting some ETH. The main reason I never dabbled with Bitcoin was I didn't understand any of it but since then I've been reading a lot more white papers and actually digging into the protocols and attempting to build a few smart contracts in Ethereum. So I feel a little more comfortable knowing what is happening and what I'm responsible for.

I guess the most surprising thing is how many people jumped onboard Bitcoin without ever understanding any of it, how it works, future issues as a result of the protocol, attack vectors etc.

commedieu

Banned
Is there any other site to buy BTC than coinexchange.

I've tried for the past 3 days, the site is going up and down quite frequently.

I want to buy some btc, and throw them into siacoin. I'd appreciate some help.

Krakatoa

Yeah coinbase has been flaky, but after persistence I finally got my PayPal account attached.

Try different a different browser. I used Firefox, also the iPhone app works fairly well.

Bedlam

I'm using Anycoindirect to buy currency and Exodus as my wallet.

I literally got started with all of this yesterday, with a bit of support from a colleague/friend. Created the account, uploaded the necessary documents and did webcam certification all within two hours in order to have my account fully unlocked for trading (level 5).

Bought a bit of ETH yesterday and now some more during the dip. Yolo! %)

BraXzy

I bought a single ETH yesterday just to dip my toes in the madnes. What ifs galore are killing me inside at the minute. So many absurd gains on these alt coins over the past year or so.

What the hell caused the near-cryptocurrency-wide dip?

Wedge7

What wallet do you guys recommend for Ethereum?

Have a bit of BTC that I use mostly for online gambling, dont really view it as an investment, more of a convenient way to bet online for sports. Might convert a couple BTC into some Ethereum for the hell of it. For BTC I use bread and Electrum.

julrik

Jesus.. Registering on Coinbase is a nightmare! I get an error every time I try to add a payment method and it asks me to re-verify my ID over and over again?

Tried signing up to Kraken as well. Just says my information is "processing" and can't buy anything.

Yay..

Kenstar

Jesus.. Registering on Coinbase is a nightmare! I get an error every time I try to add a payment method and it asks me to re-verify my ID over and over again?

Tried signing up to Kraken as well. Just says my information is "processing" and can't buy anything.

Yay..

These places are getting hammered with new users as the high increases make headlines

commedieu

Banned
Yeah coinexchange has been flaky, but after persistence I finally got my PayPal account attached.

Try different a different browser. I used Firefox, also the iPhone app works fairly well.

I'm using Anycoindirect to buy currency and Exodus as my wallet.

I literally got started with all of this yesterday, with a bit of support from a colleague/friend. Created the account, uploaded the necessary documents and did webcam certification all within two hours in order to have my account fully unlocked for trading (level 5).

Bought a bit of ETH yesterday and now some more during the dip. Yolo! %)

I meant to say coinbase.

I finally got to add my card without errors. The site says they'll charge you 2 times to verify the card.

It charged me 3x. I tried putting in the "first and second charge" and got locked out for 24 hours.

its bullshit.

Arkage

Banned
People who have stashed coins early will keep doing huge selloffs to translate it into liquid cash, making these rate fluctuations part of life.

I view these coin currencies as basically an income redistribution method for tech industry early adopters and investors, where early adopters essentially become the new upper class and late adopters become the new poor, with starting income levels playing very little role. Anyone believing that people convert to coin for reasons other than 1) profiteering 2) silk road type purchases or 3) novelty with cash to throw out the window, is deluding themself.

Kenstar

People who have stashed coins early will keep doing huge selloffs to translate it into liquid cash, making these rate fluctuations part of life.

I view these coin currencies as basically an income redistribution method for tech industry early adopters and investors, where early adopters essentially become the new upper class and late adopters become the new poor, with starting income levels playing very little role. Anyone believing that people convert to coin for reasons other than 1) profiteering 2) silk road type purchases or 3) novelty with cash to throw out the window, is deluding themself.

Starting income plays a huge role

if I had 10k of play money to put in Eth instead of 1k back in march I'd have 40k now and 100k if ETH cracks $1k

meanwhile a savvy high schooler who got in early for $10 wont see jack comparatively, $990 in profit for him vs 40k for the high roller who got on late

Arkage

Banned
Starting income plays a huge role

if I had 10k of play money to put in Eth instead of 1k back in march I'd have 40k now and 100k if ETH cracks $1k

meanwhile a savvy high schooler who got in early for $10 wont see jack comparatively, $990 in profit for him vs 40k for the high roller who got on late

In terms of temporary investment and profiteering, you are correct. My argument was specific to the long term hope that a particular coin will displace cash as a global currency. On that scale, the inflation of coin value would be so tremendous that your $10 vs 10K difference would be the same as comparing a millionaire to a quadrillionaire. Imagine that 2000% increase eth just had in a few months time, and imagine that increase continuing steadily throughout the next decade as people globally adopt the coin and continually drive demand. Your equity-to-coin ratio (and thus real-world equity assuming coin takes over cash) plummets lower every day you delay, driving constant demand for coin for fear of cash continually losing value against it, combined with the trend of switching to coin because "everyone is doing it." Which is what it would actually take for a coin to displace cash.

Is ETH what I should be buying now?

I feasibly only have a few hundred I could try investing in something weird.

you can very likely make some money on ETH. but the cost of entry is fairly high at $185 dollars or whatever its currently at

as far as a huge pay day goes, i think you'd have to take a gamble on an altcoin that currently sells for pennies or less than pennies, and hope it takes off

Yamauchi

Banned
These numbers seem so crazy. I got into bitcoin at $300 and thought that was an astronomical price. I might actually sell everything if BTC ever hits $10k.

Brandson

Yay..

Coinbase's auto ID verification can't read my driver's license. It failed at least 100 times over multiple days, so I gave up. This is apparently a known problem for well over a year, that they can't be bothered to fix. Their support hasn't replied to my email sent 2 months ago about this either, so I'll be avoiding them forever. If anything goes wrong just for you, it could take a long time before it gets fixed. That they seem to have the best mainstream name recognition is also perhaps another reason to avoid.

Kraken's first few tiers verified quickly earlier this year. Tier 3 verification took around a week. Not sure what the timeframe is like now.

Coinbase's auto ID verification can't read my driver's license. It failed at least 100 times over multiple days, so I gave up. This is apparently a known problem for well over a year, that they can't be bothered to fix. Their support hasn't replied to my email sent 2 months ago about this either, so I'll be avoiding them forever. If anything goes wrong just for you, it could take a long time before it gets fixed. That they seem to have the best mainstream name recognition is also perhaps another reason to avoid.

Kraken's first few tiers verified quickly earlier this year. Tier 3 verification took around a week. Not sure what the timeframe is like now.

I've had nothing but issues with Coinbase all day and I'm still waiting on Kracken verification so I can jump in on some Eth. Stupid coinbase messed up my CC verification so now I need to wait 24 hrs, hoping the price tanks a bit more tomorrow to buy in a bit lower.

Top Bottom