• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther becomes top grossing super hero movie in the USA

TheMikado

Banned
I mean, there's being a smashing box office success and then there's charting up there with the likes of Star Wars, Titanic, and Avatar.

Ironically I’m not a fan of Star Wars (I liked rogue one), tried to watch Titanic 5 different times and never finished it, and really don’t like avatar.

Infinity war is going to beat Black Panther's record.
It's definitely possible but somehow I doubt Infinity War can reach the usually untapped audience that Black Panther did. Even if Disney suddenly markets BP front and center in Avengers it doesn't have the same themes and pull as his solo movie. It's probably more realistic to expect IW will do AoU numbers + new fans attracted by Panther to see it once (not multiple times as was the case in BP).

Future

Avengers is taking the best of all the new: panther, spidey, guardians, wakanda, along with the original avengers cast. It’s gonna shatter all records

llien

Just realized that out of all superheroes, I find the BP the most likable.
(movies only)

Last edited:

Ke0

You could be right I haven't seen them all but I imagine it goes.... Guy assumes power, people get mad, guy tries to fight for what is good, bad guy wants the opposite, they fight, good guy wins.
Such a reductive description. You probably shouldn't watch any movies, shows, books or games, because almost all of them are the same.

There's a protagonist(s), supporting characters, and antagonists, conflict, resolution, end.

Overwatch is a great game but I don’t care much for it. You don’t see me going into a thread talking about overwatch’s awesome sales to say how much I literally don’t care about it.

People who have an axe to grind are the ones that do that. They usually think they’re really sleek and totally not transparent too. Like, just the fact that you gave enough of a **** to tell us how much you don’t care and can’t seem to grasp the irony in that is **** hilarious.

Don't feed the trolls.

Ironically I’m not a fan of Star Wars (I liked rogue one), tried to watch Titanic 5 different times and never finished it, and really don’t like avatar.

They're both overrated, IMO. I didn't even watch Titanic myself, but hey, James Cameron was coming off Terminator 2, and Kate Winslett and Leo DiCaprio were the new hotness. People really really loved that nostalgic Oscar-bait about a bunch of of rich people dying on a large boat during the segregation era.

Avatar was a white savior film conveyed through eye candy that had been never-before-seen. I understand why it was successful. Titanic? *shrug*.

Star Wars is the classic (though boring) story of good vs evil in space.

Those films put butts in seats, so regardless of how you or I feel about them, they are the upper echelon, and a movie like Black Panther, that features only three characters with speaking roles with only two of them being of consequence, has pulled up a chair a the table. That's impressive.

TrainedRage

Banned
Such a reductive description. You probably shouldn't watch any movies, shows, books or games, because almost all of them are the same.

There's a protagonist(s), supporting characters, and antagonists, conflict, resolution, end.
I mean, I don't watch some movies because they are too simmilar in plot. Superhero movies in my opinion are the most obvious example. I find your reductionist view of my choice wrong.

My feelings toward the movie is the same as when I initially saw it, decent but ultimately just that, one thing I cannot understand however is people calling Killmonger one of the greatest villains ever to me he's almost just like every other Marvel villain undeveloped and only weak as piss, pretty much every other character was better, which is a shame because the actor was damn good, personally I believe they should have cut Klaw and spent more time developing Killmonger as it stands his side of the story felt rushed which killed his character for me.

krazen

My feelings toward the movie is the same as when I initially saw it, decent but ultimately just that, one thing I cannot understand however is people calling Killmonger one of the greatest villains ever to me he's almost just like every other Marvel villain undeveloped and only weak as piss, pretty much every other character was better, which is a shame because the actor was damn good, personally I believe they should have cut Klaw and spent more time developing Killmonger as it stands his side of the story felt rushed which killed his character for me.

Yeah, he kinda sucked. They gave him a good motivation (being mad at Wakanda for doing nothing while everyone around them suffered) but the second he got into power he became cartoonishly evil and started doing malevolent things almost randomly effectively deflating his righteous sense of purpose. It made his speech in the end kind of random also.

Funny thing is that Marvel's got a great history of anti-hero type villians (Magneto, Doom), but they just can't pull it off on screen. Only time they nailed it was with Loki and as a result they've gone back to that well again and again

Last edited:
Funny thing is that Marvel's got a great history of anti-hero type villians (Magneto, Doom), but they just can't pull it off on screen. Only time they nailed it was with Loki and as a result they've gone back to that well again and again

There's still Vulture. He was pretty good in the relatable villain department. And Killmonger's actions weren't really random, they were a natural extension of his father's ideals which is pretty much all he had growing up. His actions going against tradition are also in line with both his training and the fact that those same traditions essentially cost him his family.

krazen

There's still Vulture. He was pretty good in the relatable villain department. And Killmonger's actions weren't really random, they were a natural extension of his father's ideals which is pretty much all he had growing up. His actions going against tradition are also in line with both his training and the fact that those same traditions essentially cost him his family.

If that's the case for Vulture id also throw in Sandman in Spiderman 3. While it was a train-wreck of a movie Hayden Church's take on the character was a perfect "villain" with a cause (shit, now I think about it so was Doctor Octopus in Spiderman 2...Sony's Marvel licenses somewhat redeemed?) My issue with Killmonger was that he chose the asshole route; killing his girlfriend, beating up old ladies. He was just vicious for no reason; which is why I think they tried to give him that tragic backstory to balance it out but it didn't work imho (particularly). I don't know if he could necessarily wave those away as collateral damage

Last edited:
Top Bottom