• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade - One of the Greatest Movies Ever?

Adam Blue

Now, I know claiming a movie as "the greatest ever" is nearly impossible, even though there's a general consensus for films like The Godfather and Citizen Kane.

But Blade is very unique. There's a lot behind it that makes it stand out, but I want to go ahead and get some basics out of the way - cinematography, lead characters, and motives. For me, they are all top-notch and have been influential to me. So let me add some important points:

- Pre-MCU comic movie - even before X-Men and Spiderman
- Rated R Comic Book Movie
- A black lead

So, a black lead in a rated R comic book movie!

The scene with Blade and Frost in Daylight was very memorable to me. The slow-mo of the bullets flying out of Blade's gun was a very unique style and that sequence stuck with me. Right before that time, in high school (I wrote a lot), I always envisioned an action sequence with warriors dodging throwing stars in stylized slow-motion. I saw this in that sequence and it was important to me - everything I wanted for action films going forward.

But who can forget the opening dance club scene with the Confusion song? Nothing like that has ever happened. The closest feeling would be 2nd half of From Dusk till Dawn. I saw Blade opening day with my dad and there was cheering all during that first scene. And speaking of music, the Blade soundtrack is incredible from start to finish. Techno with high-quality action scenes was definitely set to a higher bar. When Ghost Dog came around, I immediate had a connection - sword fighting black lead, RZA soundtrack (and I was and still am more of a punk/metal fan).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6UXQ_9IRo8

I also loved Blade as a character He didn't speak much, but when he did, he was on-point. The fist pump after the stake shot, the smile right before throwing his blade around the circular room, and catching his sunglasses after cutting off Quinn's head - queue the techno!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3BcIftlU0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTuGK7Ob2QI

I really liked the Karen character, as she seemed to hold her own and be sort of a partner for blade without worrying about making her a love interest. In fact, the film did a good job not bothering with that, while allowing her to make Blade look vulnerable. When on the other-hand, Mercury didn't have that depth, but was a side girl for Frost, so maybe that was the extent of her character.

If there's one 'aging' aspect of the film, it would be some of the CGI. Mainly the 'blood' sequences, from it running across the marble to the regeneration of Frost's hand. But the other CGI is certainly passable (though I'm not one to be picky about CGI - just like I can tell if something is an animatronic or puppet, I'm at peace with special effects). The scene with Karen and Mercury was poorly put together IMO, which kills momentum in an otherwise amazing sequence. Also, I think there should have been more scenes with Blade and Frost, to continue that build-up until the reveal.

On a family vacation, when Blade was just about out of theaters, we were in a hotel that had Blade to rent from their TV service. We had brought a mini TV/VCR combo, and my dad hooked it up and we recorded Blade. I took it home, got a red VHS clam shell, got a mini blade poster I put in as the sleeve, and had my very own early copy of Blade, watermark and all. Then, when it came out on DVD, it was the first DVD I bought. Either Blade or Army of Darkness was the first time I witnessed the concept of alternate ending.

Anyway, I could go on and on and I don't want to go into the sequels - maybe that can be another thread for later.

Sephzilla

Blade is definitely one of the better, and also one of the most under appreciated, super hero movies ever made.

giphy.gif

When your protagonist is played by Stephen Dorfffff, your movie is ineligible for "best of all time" status.

It's like nobody reads the handbook.

entremet

Great movie. Very fun and rewatchable. It's one of Quentin Tarantino's faves too. Sequels were poor.

It's a bit under-rated, but its not quite that good.

I do think its very good though. And especially for its time, that opening fight sequence was just fucking awesome. It's still pretty sweet now.

Don't know why Marvel hasn't rebooted this franchise. Seems like a no brainer.

Adam Blue

Blade 2 used to be my favorite, and I still love it so much. But, it gets a little too cartoony for me, and there's some cinematography blunders (even though it generally has fantastic style and I'm a huge fan of Del Toro).

It's actually my go-to Blade film when I need some Blade action. The first is slower-paced, but just overall better made.

Plus, The Force Awakens reminded me of it. The endings are very similar. Blade nearly dies, and uses blood to come back as a badass, quickly dispatches the the head henchmen and catches his sunglasses. Plus, the female lead had horrible scenes and they forced a romantic relationship. Anyway, I really didn't want to get into the sequels, but I guess it's inevitable.

I watched it for the first time a few months back and thought it was awful. Is it the sort of film you had to have been around for its release to appreciate it?

It's a bit under-rated, but its not quite that good.

I do think its very good though. And especially for its time, that opening fight sequence was just fucking awesome. It's still pretty sweet now.

Don't know why Marvel hasn't rebooted this franchise. Seems like a no brainer.

I remember the techno song that played during that vampire club, and how it was just called the "blade song". Then blade 2 came out with the "blade theme" and confused everybody.

I watched it for the first time a few months back and thought it was awful. Is it the sort of film you had to have been around for its release to appreciate it?

Oh, absolutely. It's not quite in "so bad it's good" territory, but keep in mind that the movie came out well before any comic book movie met any real success.

Daffy Duck

Blade and Blade 2 are the best vampire films ever.

So damn good. I imagine we are ripe for a re-boot soon.

Funnily enough I am listening to I Love Trance and Public Domain - Operation Blade is playing. That song was amazing for the club scene.

Edit: But then I remember From Dusk Til Dawn.

Blade 1 and 2 are fantastic

I cried when marvel got the rights back coz they could never pull something as good as the original 2 movies off

ExInferus

I always loved it back in the day. Haven't seen it in ages though.

Baffled by the Blade 2 love. That was generic hollywood teamup mediocrity. The original is visionary in comparison.

Blade and Blade 2 are perfect movies that are infinitely rewatchable for me.

Come on marvel, get Snipes back and pretend Trinity never happened.

Blade 2 is king.

But Blade 1 is so good and the greatest one liner of all time by Snipes is memorialized in it.

I want a blade reboot so bad but I do not accept any casting that is not Wesley Snipes. I dont care if he is 60. Motherfucker IS BLADE.

Sojgat

No.

Some aspects are dated, and none of the action set pieces can top the blood rave scene, but it's still one of the best superhero movies ever made.

What did you find so bad about it?

Snipes was God-tier casting, though.

A shame he was phoning it in by Trinity. :/
Yeah but Snipes is also notorious on sets. He knew the movie was just lunch money so I dont blame him one bit for phoning it.

We need Guillermo Del Toro at the helm to make this happen again.

TimmmV

Wouldn't go as far as saying one of the greatest films ever, but its definitely the greatest Marvel film imo

Sojgat

Blade 2 is king.

But Blade 1 is so good and the greatest one liner of all time by Snipes is memorialized in it.

I want a blade reboot so bad but I do not accept any casting that is not Wesley Snipes. I dont care if he is 60. Motherfucker IS BLADE.

Any reboot can't just have someone doing an impersonation of Snipes' version, it would pale in comparison no matter who was cast. They'd need to go back to the original British version of the character or something.

firelogic

I love Blade and Blade 2 (even though the team sucked and they WASTED Donnie Yen). Definitely two of the best comic book movies of all time. It's kind of a shame that they came out before the comic movie boom. They could have made a lot more money had they released 10 years later.

More R-rated comic book movies please!

Another damn shame is that they never got Michael Jai White to play a villain Daywalker. Imagine that. Snipes vs White in their primes. Better yet, cut back to the hospital scene and where it leaves off in Blade, it continues and they take out another baby. Fraternal twins!

Blade 1 & 2 are still among the best Marvel films alongside X2 and Spidey 2.
Such a shame that they're not doing anything with him these days. His last comic was fucking garbage. He'd be perfect for a cool third person action game or a mid budget movie reboot, Deadpool style. Oh well.

Any reboot can't just have someone doing an impersonation of Snipes' version, it would pale in comparison no matter who was cast. They'd need to go back to the original British version of the character or something.

I just can't accept Blade being British for some reason. I guess Snipes' version was too iconic.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Blade 1&2 are better than a lot of the MCU movies...IMO

Hell Blade 3 is better than most of the Sony Marvel flicks

Fucking Spawn is better than a lot of that DC Crap that isn't Batman or Wonder Woman

Adam Blue

I've had each of these since they were released:

If they made another one, I'd also prefer it be Snipes or no movie at all, but for director I'd love Sam Raimi's style - comic book, but horror - and then bring back Donnie Yen as fight choreographer. I'd be fine with Del Toro as long as they dial back on the Hollywood-ness, with the crazy blood tubes, lack of spatial awareness(?) for locations, horrible dubbing, goofy enemies. Even the lighting was too much.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Obviously the parts of 3 where green lantern is cracking wise are awesome but the rest of it? Actually I just remembered Jersey Dracula and Katniss Timberlake. Ugh.

The scene with Blade and Frost in Daylight was very memorable to me.

That bit still annoys me to this day. If it were that easy for vampires to be out in daylight they'd all be doing it.

And I've often wondered if that scene was supposed to be a dream, but Frost says he knows everything about Blade, and when they're in the temple at the end he again says after switching off the sword's booby-trap handle "I told you; I know everything about you", so it's presumably supposed to be real.

Daffy Duck

I've just discovered (via Wikipedia) he was English, and that origin story sounds like a great plot idea for a film. I can just imagine early 30's England with vampires and hunters.

I really want this now.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT BALLS, I just read about a Civil War storyline with Blade.....damn these comics sound like they are amazing.

Acidote

I remember how hard it was for me back in the day to find the name of the song Deacon Frost was listening to in the library scene. I was eleven when I watched the movie and my English proficiency was... lacking. Source Direct - Call and Response. Thank you, dial-up internet. I think I was one of those motherfuckers trying to ice-skate uphill. But I did it.

Umbooki

Can't tell you how many times I watched it on VHS as a kid. Blade seemed like the fiercest dude on the planet when he was punting vampires across the room.

Adam Blue

I remember how hard it was for me back in the day to find the name of the song Deacon Frost was listening to in the library scene. I was eleven when I watched the movie and my Englosh proficiency was... lacking. Source Direct - Call and Response. Thank you, dial-up internet. I think I was one of those motherfuckers trying to ice-skate uphill. But I did it.

LOL! This was the same for me. I think the end credits too, because they are not on the soundtrack.

Lupercal

Banned
Twillight even stole the shiny vampire in day light look.

Truly a movie ahead of it's time and better than 70% of current comic book movies.

Top Bottom