• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade - One of the Greatest Movies Ever?

SRG01

Blade 1 > Blade 2 just for the opening rave scene alone

Yeah, but Blade 2 is way better with everything else.

Both movies have a special place in my heart as the standard to which I compare other superhero movies... probably because I grew up with them in my formative years.

We won't talk about Blade 3 :p

The nightclub scene in the beginning is one of the coolest things I've seen in a movie.

But the CGI just makes the movie unwatchable for me. sadly.

Elandyll

Banned
Blade 2 was imo much better, and even though I love it I would never put it in the category of "best" movies though.

The first Blade was a fun romp though, and gotta give it cred for all the things it did well or first for the Comic book movie genra.

dl77

It's alright but one of the greatest movies ever? Not a chance. Hell it's not even one of the greatest superhero movies ever.

Aside from having a black main character as a superhero I really don't see anything special about it. It wasn't brilliantly shot, the effects were pretty poor even at the time, the story was formulaic and the villain was plain crap.

Frankly if it hadn't been for Wesley Snipes performance I don't think it'd be remembered with any particular fondness, which makes his descent into mediocre DTV fodder all the more depressing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Blade 2 had some good action choreography...and Wesley really owned the role. But that's all I got. I wouldn't even put it in my Top 200.

Zhylaw

Neo Member
not close to perfect but definitely cult classics. I even sorta liked the third in a so bad its good kinda way.

Blade 2 better?... lol no.

Blade is one of my favs of all time. Seen that shit so many times. Its been a while. I know what I'm watchin tonight.

jstripes

Banned
giphy.gif

"Some motherfuckers always tryin' to ice skate uphill."

I don't know why people have such a hard time with this line.

I need to rewatch these, because I remember basically nothing about them other than the fact that I enjoyed the first two, and Trinity was dumb.

All I remember is a scene on a train track in a tunnel or something.

nOoblet16

The fight scenes were great and so clear. I guess it helps when the actor is a martial artist, as they don't need to rely on shaky cams and quick cuts to make the actor look like they know how to fight or to hide the stunt double's face.

Ronin Ray

Movie single-handedly made comic book movies viable again and put them back on the map and started off this whole comic book Revolution we are still in.

Blade deserves another movie done old man Logan style.

Nah, it's a fun vampire though. The finale features some really rough 90's CGI, but other then that most of the fights are pretty flawless.

I always loved it back in the day. Haven't seen it in ages though.

Baffled by the Blade 2 love. That was generic hollywood teamup mediocrity. The original is visionary in comparison.

Actually I think Blade 2 is more of a visionary / directors film then the original, which was made by a creature sculptor who only had made one film prior, and whose career seems to have taken a hit following The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which wasn't entirely his fault though.

golem

Blade 1 and 2 were really fun films. I fear for any reboots without the Snipes though, he added alot to those movies (and 3 lol)

I really did like Blade 2. I even like Nomak better as a villain then I liked Frost. But the first one still shits on it.

brawly

It's amazing for the time but there are better comic book movies, let alone movies in general.

However, Wesley Snipes as Blade is one of the greatest casting ever. Right up there with J. K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson.

phanphare

Banned
It’s the last one-liner after the big bad dies.

Is he the hill?

Deacon Frost underestimated his steepness and length?

Blade is the hill, Frost is the person trying to ice skate up said hill

it should go without saying that he did not get up said hill

Yes.

Also it made me realize vampires could easily own the world with lots of clothes and sun screen. There any vampires fiction that does that?

kikiribu

Blade 1 and 2 were the last great Marvel movies for me. I'm not a fan of their cinematic universe at all.

Bring Blade back, please.

("Bring Blade back" sounds like such a crazy tongue twister)

It’s so good I forget I’m watching a superhero movie. I tried watching Dr. Strangelove on Netflix the other day but couldn’t get passed the first 30 minutes, the formula Disney is using is just too tiresome at this point

Metalmarc

Blade 2 is the best Blade Film, then Blade 1

Blade 3 I am thankful for because without that we probably wouldn't have Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, and then we have that TV show, which I never really watched proper.

I'll never let Blade 2 off the hook for the unforgivable sin of Vampires. Needing. Flashlights.

They're vampires! They are obligate nocturnal predators! They wear their sunglasses at night and it's no problem! I know it makes for cool, spooky mood when they're hunting the mutants, but it doesn't make any sense in vampire fiction.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yeah, but Blade 2 is way better with everything else.

Only thing Blade II does better is CG.

Blade is fantastic all the way through.

Blade 2 is closer to Underworld. Let's make it bigger, but in no means better. The enemies are now hybrids, introduce a bunch of supporting token cast members to be killed off, super secret true empire of vampires running everything, etc. Blade was just a much tighter film and it had such better scenes. If they could redo the action sequences a bit, it would be perfect.

kikiribu

Only thing Blade II does better is CG.

Blade is fantastic all the way through.

Blade 2 is closer to Underworld. Let's make it bigger, but in no means better. The enemies are now hybrids, introduce a bunch of supporting token cast members to be killed off, super secret true empire of vampires running everything, etc. Blade was just a much tighter film and it had such better scenes. If they could redo the action sequences a bit, it would be perfect.
Nah.

In addition to better CGI, Blade 2 has the better soundtrack, better and more memorable villain, the most badass fight scenes (Blade vs Nomak, Blade vs Reinhardts dudes, Blade vs vampires in cave area), scarier than the first, I actually think it does everything better than the first movie, and I love the first.

Lol at regarding IMDB scores as anything more than a joke.
Some people for some reason treat IMDB and RT like anything more than an opinion site. It's like they wouldn't dare call a movie one of the best they've ever seen unless RT and IMDB gave them the ok to think that. They forget most people don't post their opinions on websites.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I didn't know that I needed a Blade: Special Edition. (No changes except swapping out CGI elements)
Thanks for bumming me out, guys.

And no, Blade II is not better. WTF

Garlador

This is such a cool movie.

The final scene in Russia is atmospheric as can be.

Guillermo Del Toro summed it up pretty well with his commentary on Blade 2. "Wesley is a living superhero. Every pose in every shot: superhero pose."

Top Bottom