• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

Real Hero

Just watched the film and feel very mixed on it. I couldn't help but compare it to the original and I don't think it is as good as it at all. Having said that there's some really good individual scenes and ideas. I just don't think the world and the 'feel' comes together like the original. Maybe it will grown on me, it is definitely a film I'll buy and rewatch

soundtest

Banned
Y'all should watch Dangerous Days. It's 4 hours of great behind the scenes for the first film plus some of what didn't work out for the first film was used for 2049 so it's a fun watch.

Adry9

But she’s an AI, and apparently one with programmed motives according to the billboards she is prominently featured in. She doesn’t “want” anything. Everything she does is to get K to become more endeared to her and keep using her as a product, presumably buying upgrades or paying a recurring fee or whatever the business model is for Wallace’s products.

Nah. When she told the prostitute to leave in a rude way showing jealousy K wasn't listening, he wasn't the reason of that interaction, it came out of her. She wanted her gone, because she was jealous, not because that would make K like her more. So no, not every single thing she does is motivated by K, she has her own emotions.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They do not. They know it's a girl. K is able to put 2 and 2 together and figure it out, but does not share that information with them.

So then who took her to the orphanage? Who took her out?

She had a wooden toy like those we see in D’s place, and it is irradiated, so it comes from there.

The rebel leader is the one who has the baby in her arms. She is the one who fudged her DNA profile and gender too.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Has this article been posted?

https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/evpwga/blade-runner-2049-sexist-misogynistic-mess

Am I wrong for thinking "that's the point"? The world is meant to be fucked up and backwards.

Women are either literally prostitutes (including Mackenzie Davis as Mariette), holographic housewives like Joi (Ana de Armas) -- a product that is marketed with the lines "Experience Joi," "Everything you want to hear. Everything you want to see." -- or some slightly meaner, more violent boss women (Robin Wright as Lieutenant Joshi, and Sylvia Hoeks as Luv, also a 'companion' but one who can kick ass) who nevertheless meet gruesome deaths that we watch in horrifying detail. Men also get killed, of course, but we don't watch their eyes bulge for tens of gratuitous seconds -- they are blunt, noble deaths, not desperate fetishistic ones.

Luv karate chopping that morgue guy as we watch blood oozing out of his eyes and nostrils is pretty noble.

Not to mention that the ultimate dividing line between human women and the hyper-human replicant women is that real women can give birth. Did you get that? If you don't give birth, then sorry, you're not a real woman.

What the heck? This whole article is trash.

This feels like someone told this person "I dare you to say Blade Runner 2049 is sexist" and 3 minutes later they had written a quick Youtube comment quality article.

Adry9

Even if K doesn't hear what she says, her wanting the prostitute gone is still her attempting to remove any competition from the equation. Her ”jealousy" has a practical and logical function according to her programming as a consumer product. She may be strong AI, but she is destined to behave in a certain way, as evidenced by ”Everything you want to hear."

I think you could interpret it either way, and it's very possible I'm reading into the situation more than the creators of the movie intended, but you can make all the pieces fit.

So "Everything you want!"... unless you want some other girl too? Hmm... Not sure if that was really intended by the original programming. I mean, if you set out to make a robot whose whole purpose is pleasing the owner, having it get jealous of other people and trying brake those relationships behind the owner's back doesn't seem very productive, does it?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still feel Wallace was kind of superficial to the story. He is a weird eccentric guy who thinks he is god, but his presence doesn't advance the story or invoke any conversation beyond what his female assistant was already doing. Him being a faceless voice offworld that gave the assistant some direction would have accomplished the same thing, and likely help reinforce the assistant's character since she could have interacted with Deckard more in his place. At most the dissection scene would have to be significantly reworked or replaced.

I can't tell if they just wanted another Tylor, or are setting up for a sequel by having him.

So "Everything you want!"... unless you want some other girl too? Hmm... Not sure if that was really intended by the original programming. I mean, if you set out to make a robot whose whole purpose is pleasing the owner, having it get jealous of other people and trying brake those relationships behind the owner's doesn't seem very productive does it?
Maybe K wanted her to be jealous, since its how a "real" woman would behave.

Kinyou

https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/evpwga/blade-runner-2049-sexist-misogynistic-mess

Am I wrong for thinking "that's the point"? The world is meant to be fucked up and backwards.
Men also get killed, of course, but we don't watch their eyes bulge for tens of gratuitous seconds -- they are blunt, noble deaths, not desperate fetishistic ones..
I guess the author forgot that the guy in the morgue had literally an eye bulging death, with his eye turning so red that it looked like it was going to pop any second.

s_mirage

So "Everything you want!"... unless you want some other girl too? Hmm... Not sure if that was really intended by the original programming. I mean, if you set out to make a robot whose whole purpose is pleasing the owner, having it get jealous of other people and trying brake those relationships behind the owner's back doesn't seem very productive, does it?

That's my opinion too. If Joi's actions are completely based around pleasing K, apparent jealousy and a desire to remove the "competition" makes no sense; she should only be concerned with what pleases K, not protecting her position as the only one to please K.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Joi walked hand-in-hand with K on his journey of trying to find his “specialness,” but at the same time as he was discovering some greater purpose than going home at the end of the day to her and a bowl of protein sludge, she began grasping at straws to try to draw him back to her. That’s why she pulled the Her thing and hired a prostitute. That’s why at the very threat of her own “death,” her defense mechanism was to say to K “I love you” to try to get him to protect her. In that case he couldn’t stop what was going to happen, but with Joi being a mass produced product, I can see it being a repeatable algorithm. Like when you try to deactivate your Facebook account, it starts showing you pictures of your friends and saying, “Do you really want to miss out on this?”

Beautiful analogy!

Idde

At the risk of a spoiler alert, there is one woman (Carla Juri's Dr Ana Stelline) who is held to be more precious than the others, but she is holed up in a literal glass cage and infantilised to fuck, living in fantasy worlds of her own making.

All of the characters live completely fucked up lives. Ana is one of the most valuable characters in the entire movie.

What a completely bullshit article.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That's my opinion too. If Joi's actions are completely based around pleasing K, apparent jealousy and a desire to remove the "competition" makes no sense; she should only be concerned with what pleases K, not protecting her position as the only one to please K.

That scene is, I think, the best case for why Joi had "real" feelings towards K and wasn't all just 1s and 0s telling her to love him. I mean, it could also be argued that she was programmed to do that so we will never really know if it was real or not.

Moonkid

I think at a point, authorial intent isn't the be-all-end-all defense against social critique (e.g. fanservice threads on Gaming side). With that said, I don't agree with some of what's said here. The deaths in particular I'd argue aren't any worse between men and women. It's difficult to make an argument here because you can't really suggest someone's visceral response to the film is 'wrong' but my two cents is that the film doesn't go out of its way to treat women worse than men during their respective deaths. Lt. Joshi's death is pretty restrained, it has a hard cut to outside the window with the sound muted and she just slumps down. Even when her hand is being crushed she holds her composure and accepts her fate. Comparatively the bigoted morgue-dude is seen in CU with blood-red eyes, choking on his own blood. On a tangential note, there was a deleted scene with Luv carrying the bag she uses to carry the bones in the LAPD hallway so maybe she killed him so violently because she overheard him talking shit? Maybe about Wallace, maybe about replicants.

Anyhow, there are other points raised that should be fleshed out more, and I think if the article showed more awareness and understanding of the film's themes and principle concerns it'd be a bit more convincing.

Kinyou

What the heck? This whole article is trash.

This feels like someone told this person "I dare you to say Blade Runner 2049 is sexist" and 3 minutes later they had written a quick Youtube comment quality article.
Yeah, the headline was definitely written first and then the author went to confirm the bias. To describe Robin Wright Penn's character as "hardened warrior woman" misses the mark so hard as she's one of the few humans who shows sympathy towards K.
Somehow I figured Vice was above hottakes like that.

dc89

Saw it today.
Really enjoyed it, some stunning shots in the movie.
I think it will be the first Blu-ray I buy in quite a while.

kirblar

I think at a point, authorial intent isn't the be-all-end-all defense against social critique (e.g. fanservice threads on Gaming side). With that said, I don't agree with some of what's said here. The deaths in particular I'd argue aren't any worse between men and women. It's difficult to make an argument here because you can't really suggest someone's visceral response to the film is 'wrong' but my two cents is that the film doesn't go out of its way to treat women worse than men during their respective deaths. Lt. Joshi's death is pretty restrained, it has a hard cut to outside the window with the sound muted and she just slumps down. Even when her hand is being crushed she holds her composure and accepts her fate. Comparatively the bigoted morgue-dude is seen in CU with blood-red eyes, choking on his own blood. On a tangential note, there was a deleted scene with Luv carrying the bag she uses to carry the bones in the LAPD hallway so maybe she killed him so violently because she overheard him talking shit? Maybe about Wallace, maybe about replicants.

Anyhow, there are other points raised that should be fleshed out more, and I think if the article showed more awareness and understanding of the film's themes and principle concerns it'd be a bit more convincing.
I just realized that her self-sacrifice in protecting K is mirrored by K himself. She was effectively his mom, even if neither of them realized it.

Moonkid

I just realized that her self-sacrifice in protecting K is mirrored by K himself. She was effectively his mom, even if neither of them realized it.
Which is an interesting point too because I think Villeneuve said in one aspect, he viewed K and Luv as squabbling kids, with the latter trying to get dad's attention (Wallace).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Going for a second time tomorrow, this time with my dad. It's only been a few days since my first viewing but this movie just begs for a rewatch.

Not hard to not have sympathy for the guy who was a decoy for the Joker.

I remember the actor as one of the funny dudes helping Antman.

Yeah this guy keeps popping up for these bit roles, he can't seem to land anything big.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Moonkid

And this is another VICE article.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...asian-culture-but-have-no-asians-blade-runner

I mean there's not many Asians in the movie, but I didn't think about that. Did I miss some scenes with Asians in them?
Yeah that post could have done with a small addendum. I don't have anything against Vice, I just wanted to share a much worse example.

As a Korean living in the West, the lack of representation didn't bother me. Nevertheless, that article does a good job of presenting why these films are problematic in this regard. And I believe the only time we see an Asian is the extra doing JOI's nails. Maybe if you look really hard in the background during the scene K first meets Mariette you'd see one?

Wallace wants the secret of reproduction and his replicant assistant will kill to get it.
Are they different models in some way to the underground resistance ones?
Because I guess we are supposed to be on the side of free reproducing self determining replicants but Wallace seems to demonstrate quite well that they are evil, and clearly bad news for humans.

Wallace sold Joi, the AI girl but K had not the slightest concern she was bugged or connected back to base in some way. Obviously she wasn't but I am sure the whole audience expected her to be working both sides in some way. In fact she is entirely self contained only an "antenna" that transmittted nothing but position? Or was it transmitting more which is why Wallace was watching her so intently when she blinked off grid?

Wallace wants the secret of reproduction and his replicant assistant will kill to get it.
Are they different models in some way to the underground resistance ones?
Because I guess we are supposed to be on the side of free reproducing self determining replicants but Wallace seems to demonstrate quite well that they are evil, and clearly bad news for humans.

Wallace sold Joi, the AI girl but K had not the slightest concern she was bugged or connected back to base in some way. Obviously she wasn't but I am sure the whole audience expected her to be working both sides in some way. In fact she is entirely self contained only an "antenna" that transmittted nothing but position? Or was it transmitting more which is why Wallace was watching her so intently when she blinked off grid?

They're actual slaves though. Just because they were born from a bag, that doesn't mean that they don't have a consciousness.

Moonkid

100% agree with this. The movie is what you would expect from a sequel that is made to support a ”cunematic universe"/side content for businesses' sake, but Villeneuve's direction helps to hide it. Not enough sadly, so it ends up being a bit of both; his own take and a typical Hollywood IP-revival, stitched together, with no sacrifice made on the later's end.
My main issue with the article was that it frames an otherwise valid set of points in a completely nonsensical claim. I don't usually complain about clickbait but I rolled my eyes pretty hard when I came across it - how can anyone claim to *really* know how Villeneueve feels and does it even matter?

Wallace wants reproducing replicants to exponentially increase the slave class, and therefore the human offworld empire. (Also has a god complex.)

Edit: slightly misread your comment, jellies_two, nm

Alastor3

hmmm I do have questions:

1) Is K aware, conscious like a human being?

2) If he is, he do need to keep his emotions in check or else he get captured by the police, right?

3) If model 8 like K are aware, isn't Joi just like a Replicant but without a body form?

Maybe those questions are stupid...

hmmm I do have questions:

1) Is K aware, conscious like a human being?

2) If he is, he do need to keep his emotions in check or else he get captured by the police, right?

3) If model 8 like K are aware, isn't Joi just like a Replicant but without a body form?

Maybe those questions are stupid...

1) Yes

2) They are supposed to be inherently “docile” but are regularly monitored to remain within emotional baseline parameters

3) Basically but being virtual is a pretty critical difference

Wallace wants reproducing replicants to exponentially increase the slave class, and therefore the human offworld empire. (Also has a god complex.)

Edit: slightly misread your comment, jellies_two, nm
Yeah no worries I am just left wondering who to root for and perhaps that's the point.
His boss wants the self replication evidence killed to head off society collapse and based on the aggression of wallace and his assistant I can see her point.
The underground replicants want their miracle preserved, as a rallying flag, but have no way to repeat the success and evidently have done Little with it for 20 years anyway.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Damn this thread keeps exploding. Hard to keep up, but in a good way.
Thanks for your input guys. I think I'll go with "inherit design flaw", although it doesnt quite click with me.

A central idea in Blade Runner and many sci-fi stories is that complexity makes control impossible. The more sophisticated something gets, the harder it becomes to predict. Given time, emergent properties inevitably arise faster than the creator can account for. Yes, Wallace seemed to have found a way to ensure compliance in his new models, but it’s only guaranteed in very specific situations. He knows that given enough time out in the world, replicants will start developing their own emotional responses to stimuli. Hence the baseline test to catch and quash any glitches. But given the numbers of replicants secretly lurking in the shadows looking for their chance to rebel, it’s not working very well.

As far as the whole point of replicant disobedience, you have to remember that they're biological... physically human, not machine. You can't just install programming like a computer, or even flip a switch in a gene to make them docile and obedient (don't listen to Attack of the Clones). The only way you'd be able to do something like that is through brainwashing. Probably subliminal into whatever they use to educate them, or implant the memories into them. But like any brainwashing, it can be overcome by the individual at any time if they have the right motivation. They knew this was a possibility, hence the baseline testing.

I would contend that the biological vs. mechanical distinction is irrelevant and that is one of the messages contained within the film. Joi is the ultimate refutation within the BR universe, a complex piece of software potentially on the verge of exhibiting the same emergent behaviours as replicants (hence all the debate we are having in this thread alone), and the possible precursor to another artificial revolution that grows beyond the intent of its creator, given enough time and experience.

RPLOKhw.png

Of course, this all reminds me of an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

The Measure of a Man. Lt. Commander Data, an android, is on trial to determine whether he is the property of Starfleet or a sentient being deserving of the protections granted by the Federation. Riker, Data’s colleague and friend, is forced by the presiding JAG to serve as the prosecutor against Data; if he doesn’t do it well, the case is forfeit and Data gets broken down to parts. In the courtroom, Riker argues that Data is nothing more than a machine, demonstrating the fact by removing his friend’s arm and shutting him down via a secret switch before delivering a devastating line:
"Pinocchio is broken; its strings have been cut."
Picard, who is in charge of Data’s defense, is despondent after a recess. He uses Guinan as a sounding board and their resulting conversation is one of the best scenes in Trek history, and one that could be lifted straight out of Blade Runner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Eg67jDh2Ts

Back in the courtroom, Picard refutes Riker’s argument that Data is a machine by stating it doesn’t matter:
"Commander Riker has dramatically demonstrated to this court that Lieutenant Commander Data is a machine. Do we deny that? No, because it is not relevant: we, too, are machines, just machines of a different type. Commander Riker has also reminded us that Lieutenant Commander Data was created by a man; do we deny that? No. Again, it is not relevant. Children are created from the 'building blocks' of their parents' DNA. Are they property?"
Picard goes on to showcase Data as being more than the sum of his parts by examining the significance of his personal belongings, which serve no functional purpose but mean a great deal to Data. Picard asks why Data has a holographic portrait of the late crewmember Tasha Yar and no one else. Data, uncomfortable, confesses that they had once been intimate.

Ultimately, the JAG rules in favour of Data, with her speech speaking to the core ideas Blade Runner tasks us to ponder:
"It sits there looking at me, and I don't know what it is. This case has dealt with metaphysics, with questions best left to saints and philosophers. I am neither competent, nor qualified, to answer those. I've got to make a ruling – to try to speak to the future. Is Data a machine? Yes. Is he the property of Starfleet? No. We've all been dancing around the basic issue: does Data have a soul? I don't know that he has. I don't know that I have! But I have got to give him the freedom to explore that question himself. It is the ruling of this court that Lieutenant Commander Data has the freedom to choose."
Trek being Trek, the episode provides us with an optimistic portrayal of how we can expand our sphere of consideration beyond ourselves. Blade Runner being Blade Runner, it gives us a fleshed out nightmare where these questions are not even debated, and humanity has walled itself off from anything “other” with tools of violence and subjugation.

Calabi

Even if K doesn’t hear what she says, her wanting the prostitute gone is still her attempting to remove any competition from the equation. Her “jealousy” has a practical and logical function according to her programming as a consumer product. She may be strong AI, but she is destined to behave in a certain way, as evidenced by “Everything you want to hear.”

I think you could interpret it either way, and it’s very possible I’m reading into the situation more than the creators of the movie intended, but you can make all the pieces fit.

Jealousy works the same way in humans too.

Wollan

Initially I thought that Mackenzie Davis (Mariette) was the real-life daughter of Daryl Hannah but that's not the case.
Thought they had a certain resemblance. Maybe it's her role in Black Mirror (San Junipero) with its 80's sci-fi which made me subconsciously connect them or something.

Dude, Hans Zimmer's Bandcamp page was nuked, along with the 80 or so soundtracks he was selling, including Blade Runner 2049's.

the fuck?

Top Bottom