• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

Jedi2016

bad analogy, Hammond built those dinos to not be able to breed.
And they did it anyway. Wallace built his replicants not to be able to disobey, and they did it anyway. Quite an apt analogy, I think.

As far as the whole point of replicant disobedience, you have to remember that they're biological... physically human, not machine. You can't just install programming like a computer, or even flip a switch in a gene to make them docile and obedient (don't listen to Attack of the Clones). The only way you'd be able to do something like that is through brainwashing. Probably subliminal into whatever they use to educate them, or implant the memories into them. But like any brainwashing, it can be overcome by the individual at any time if they have the right motivation. They knew this was a possibility, hence the baseline testing.

Oberon

Banned
Finally watched. It was everything I imagined I wanted and then some. Good thing nobody wanted to go watch that movie with me because I could barely hold the tears.
Edit: also, I didn't think they could make a more uncomfortable "love" scene than the first one. I was wrong!

I've never read it, but I'm curious, is the sequel novel Blade Runner 2: Edge of Human still "canon" (or at least, could it still plausibly fit in the timeline)?

I've never read it, but I'm curious, is the sequel novel Blade Runner 2: Edge of Human still "canon" (or at least, could it still plausibly fit in the timeline)?

I never read them (there were a series of sequel novels) either, but no. I think they tried to consolidate the book and movie and treated them both as valid. I've read the wikis on them and they seemed pretty nuts.

Transcript for the first baseline test I found on Reddit:

It's so unique and intense and amazing, perhaps iconic in the years to come. Of course it also hints at things to come for K.
Don't know if its been mentioned already but that baseline test was shaped by Gosling's line memorization technique he learned from an acting coach.

Window

I can't believe that qualifies as an article worth publishing, not because it's a topic which doesn't have merit but there's so little effort put into it.

Xun

I can't believe that qualifies as an article worth publishing, not because it's a topic which doesn't have merit but there's so little effort put into it.
My thoughts exactly.

It feels like a clickbait article with very little substance to back up the viewpoints made.

The Wikipedia plot summary of that is really weird. Both John Isidore (from the novel) and JF Sebastian (a film character who is based on Isidore, but with high, savant-like intelligence and genetic engineering skills) appear as distinct characters. Rick's colleague Dave Holden discovers that the Rachael who runs off with Rick at the end of this novel is really Tyrell's niece and Rachael is dead. Where the "real" Roy Batty fits in here is anybody's guess.

I've no idea what happens to Iran Deckard, who is very much a loving wife to Rick at the end of the original novel. In the film Rick has an ex-wife only referred to once, in the hated voice-over of the original 1982 cut. What a mess! That's before I even check whether this novel is set in Los Angeles like the film or San Francisco like the original novel.

It was endorsed by Philip K Dick's estate, but this can only have been for the money.

If Dave Holden's discovery in that novel is true and this Rachael is human, 2049 breaks continuity with Edge of Human by making Rachael an android again.

Then that has a sequel in which, absurdly, Rick is living on Mars and working on a film about his days with LAPD, to be called Blade Runner. And he has Roy Batty in a suitcase. And did I mention Rachael is a ten-year-old? I'm not going there. And wild horses wouldn't get me to comment on the sequel to that, which apparently features Scrappy the Owl from the original book.

I started rereading the novel today and I had a small question, I hope someone has an answer. Why does Pris introduce herself as Rachael the first time she meets with JF? I can't recall if it was explained later, but I don't believe that's the case.

Oberon

Banned
I initially wanted to go watch the movie with a friend, but ( she didn't have much free time) and said that they trailer didn't do anything for her. I hadn't watched the trailer because I wanted to go in as raw as possible. Watching the trailer now I can see how it's not great.
I feel like it's hard making a trailer for this movie to make people want to watch it that aren't fans of the original already.

edit: Also, if I had sum up the movie in one spongebob image, it would be this

DMBkpHsUEAA4E0a.jpg

Came back from a second viewing last night. Everything's crystallizing for me in a big way and really loved the movie more than I did the first time.

Only thing I actively disliked:
The line that went "Dying for the right cause is the most human thing we can do". Far too easy, and actively misleading given what actually happens in the end.

NateDog

Saw this on Reddit.

tl;dr: Ryan Gosling wrote the baseline test scene that they used in the movie.
Doubt it will be but I'd be very curious to see the full thing as an extra when the home release comes out. Also this really makes me want the art book l, but it is pricey.

I started rereading the novel today and I had a small question, I hope someone has an answer. Why does Pris introduce herself as Rachael the first time she meets with JF? I can't recall if it was explained later, but I don't believe that's the case.

In the novel, Pris is the same model android as Rachael Rosen, a Nexus-6. The other androids are all acquainted with Rachael. Pris is in hiding, and she's wary of John. On the spur of the moment, she gives Rachael's name. Perhaps she thinks a false name will help her to cover her tracks, and is hoping he's too dim to recognise the surname. When he does, she laughs it off and gives her real name. She says it's her married name, but also insists she be addressed as Miss Stratton. She comes across as cunning but naive to me.

In the novel, Pris is the same model android as Rachael Rosen, a Nexus-6. The other androids are all acquainted with Rachael. Pris is in hiding, and she's wary of John. On the spur of the moment, she gives Rachael's name. Perhaps she thinks a false name will help her to cover her tracks, and is hoping he's too dim to recognise the surname. When he does, she laughs it off and gives her real name. She says it's her married name, but also insists she be addressed as Miss Stratton. She comes across as cunning but naive to me.
Thanks! Yeah, if she didn't want to give her real name she might as well have given a made up one, instead of a real/famous one. Maybe she was testing him somewhat.

That doesnt sound like a convincing explanation to me. Its not something Wallace would allow to happen, ie my Replicants are obedient until they start thinking they are special... there is no fail safe in that and whoever approved the production of new replicants because of this would be naive to say the least.

To me, it seemed like he was just broken. At that point, he was pretty much 100% sure he was human. I imagine their "programming" uses the logic "I am made for a purpose, so I will follow orders", but that died when he fully believed that he wasn't a replicant.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Came back from a second viewing last night. Everything's crystallizing for me in a big way and really loved the movie more than I did the first time.

Only thing I actively disliked:
The line that went "Dying for the right cause is the most human thing we can do". Far too easy, and actively misleading given what actually happens in the end.

There is no way to know if the rebels want Deckard dead once K saved him. K knows where the kid is before Deckard does, yet they don’t ask him to kill himself. Anyone who knows where she is could be captured. Presumably, the rebels think D knows where the kid is, and since Wallace has kidnaped him they think he will find out where the kid is. K is tasked to kill D, but instead takes the harder route and saves him instead of blowing up the spinner, since he’s the hero and all.

There is no reason to think that:

1- He is not on friendly term with the rebels.
2- That the rebels still want D dead now that he has been saved, and is no longer under Wallace’s grip. If they still wanted him dead, they would be doing so out of fear that he would somehow be captured again and lead Wallace to the kid, but the rebels know where she is and would be as much of a threat.

So the idea that K rejected the rebels is unfounded. I know people want to believe he did because the rebels plot is the weakest part of it, but it’s not founded to say he isn’t on their side.

kirblar

K isn't rejecting the Rebels, he's ignoring their desires because he knows something they don't regarding the nature of their "Messiah". Deckard's daughter is not a fighter, and she's already done far more for their cause through her memory creation than she ever could as a nominal leader.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
K isn't rejecting the Rebels, he's ignoring their desires because he knows something they don't regarding the nature of their "Messiah". Deckard's daughter is not a fighter, and she's already done far more for their cause through her memory creation than she ever could as a nominal leader.

Show me what he knows that they don’t about her? Where is this messiah stuff? They know Deckard impregnated Rachel. K knows nothing more than they do.

Adry9

Has this article been posted?

Am I wrong for thinking "that's the point"? The world is meant to be fucked up and backwards.

After reading that I'm debating whether to laugh, roll my eyes or get angry for that minute of my life that has been wasted.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think with Joi it's definitely left ambiguous how much was just her programing and how much was her really loving K. However, I think it's clear by the end that K believes that none of it was true and she was just doing what she was programmed to do.

She does truly love K, but it's due to her programming. The Joi's are programmed to be anything that the buyer wants them to be. K needed love and a companion, so that's what Joi was.

If he needed a motherly figure, she would have been that too.

Has this article been posted?

https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/evpwga/blade-runner-2049-sexist-misogynistic-mess

Am I wrong for thinking "that's the point"? The world is meant to be fucked up and backwards.

At the risk of a spoiler alert, there is one woman (Carla Juri's Dr Ana Stelline) who is held to be more precious than the others, but she is holed up in a literal glass cage and infantilised to fuck, living in fantasy worlds of her own making.
What a complete imbecile.

Adry9

I am still trying to adequately formulate this thought, but I think one key element of what we see in Joi’s story, and what makes it so integral to the plot, is her attempt at manipulation of K in the same way that all the other forces around him also try to control his actions. It’s not as overt as his slave-like relationship with the LAPD or the replicant army attempting to co-opt him, but it’s there.

Ultimately Joi is a product, and on the surface her purpose is to serve K in whatever he wants. But when you take the notion that Wallace, while a hippie megalomaniac, is ultimately just a businessman, then it makes more sense that K is actually the product, and Joi is a means to an end. Think of it like the way Facebook works today. You “use” Facebook as a user, but ultimately the platform exists to squeeze as much information out of you as possible, sell you as a product to advertisers, and keep you engaged with it at all costs.

Joi walked hand-in-hand with K on his journey of trying to find his “specialness,” but at the same time as he was discovering some greater purpose than going home at the end of the day to her and a bowl of protein sludge, she began grasping at straws to try to draw him back to her. That’s why she pulled the Her thing and hired a prostitute. That’s why at the very threat of her own “death,” her defense mechanism was to say to K “I love you” to try to get him to protect her. In that case he couldn’t stop what was going to happen, but with Joi being a mass produced product, I can see it being a repeatable algorithm. Like when you try to deactivate your Facebook account, it starts showing you pictures of your friends and saying, “Do you really want to miss out on this?”

I think she just realized that was the end and wanted to tell him that before dying.

Idde

Just came back from the theatre, and it left me speechless. What a great movie. So many things worked so very well.

I really liked the love scene between Joi, Mariette and K. Just as I liked the love scene in 'Her', though this was even weirder and more abstract. I saw it as a consensual threesome between two replicants and an AI. K liked Mariette (as Joi noted), K obviously liked Joi, and I got the impression Mariette liked K as well, aside from needing to get close to it. The scene was weird, highly abstract, but for me it worked really well.

I loved the ending, and the twist leading up to it. Throughout the entire movie you see K turn in to Joe, only to have that taken away. But here comes the central theme: what does it mean to be human? Wallace is human, but has no regard for human and replicant life. K thinks he is born, and therefore 'a real boy'. When he finds out you see hem holding his hands out to feel the drops of rain. In the end he saves Deckard, and proves he is more human than Wallace. He is also far off baseline, which indicates he's not a LAPD slave to be used anymore. And in the end he stretches his hand out again, even after finding out he's not the child.

Like in the first movie, it doesn't matter if you're human or not (Deckard loves Rachael), in 2049 K did so many things that make him human. My take away from this aspect. Man, I love this movie.

They do not. They know it's a girl. K is able to put 2 and 2 together and figure it out, but does not share that information with them.

Yes. Although there are other tenable interpretations of the film's ending, the cause Joe chooses to die for in this scenario is love. He knows the value of Ana's memory, the feelings it has awakened in him. He wants to unite father and daughter because he knows how much it means to them.

Kinyou

Maybe this has been posted here before but I really like this point Denis Villeneuve makes about the sex scene.

“You have several things happening for the first time in the scene,” said Villeneuve, who met with Vulture over the weekend to discuss a sequence that he had labored to keep secret for months. “You have a man who’s being touched by a woman for the first time. You have a hologram that feels she can be real for the first time. And you have a prostitute who’s being kissed by a man with love for the first time, and she’s not sure how to deal with that.”
http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/blade-runner-2049-threesome-sex-scene-how-did-they-make-it.html

It was also one of the most complicated effects in the movie and they had to work about a year on it.

Top Bottom