• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade & Soul |OT| Kiss From A Rose

Trace

Banned
I would be more into this game if Lyns were removed.

Yes I realize it's Korean and my friend is hella into them as well, but I just can't bring myself to play it with that as an exclusive option for a class.

ShinMaruku

I see, I will definitely try that class out. Though I'm having conflicting feelings choosing this game as my main mmo due to the release of black desert online in NA as well. Though atleast blade and soul is f2p so that is that.

What does this game have over black desert online? I researched that this is more comparable to Tera, while BDO is more vindictus.
This has a much more rich End game pipeline than Black Desert. All their endgame is just pvp and it's not as fleshed out as bewb and soul due to this having esports. This also has a decent story and classes playing differently. I was on Black Desert till I saw it was all pvp and that sent me 100% to Blade and Soul

So this game is the source of this gif? Interesting.
What other game would have a booty slider that allows such magic?

Oh hi again shin, remember me from DFO? Did everything there die?

Also I'm more of a PvE person, I absolutely loved vindictus bosses... But nexon. Basically that dark souls feeling of fighting bosses

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I played in a beta weekend and couldn't get into it. Gonna try again.

Maybe it was just because Monk was kind of boring. Why can't I make Lyn Monks/Assassins? NCSoft plz.
I tried Monk for a tiny bit and couldn't get into it either. Then learned the sword counter cost 1 vs 3 with way less tight timing. That was forever ago though. Game just boiled down to same old grind and run. Shame.

Maybe it's a lot better now, but I doubt it. Combat simply wasn't engaging.

If by 'Monk' you meant 'Kung Fu Master' then that's a tank class in this game and it's only fun if you love to wait for enemy to attack and mash the Counter button.

I'll just warn you now that Blade Master is also a tank class.

If your goal is to Hulk Smash everything in sight, pick any of the other classes and you won't be expected to tank, hold the boss still, use the Block/Counter button, or build and hold aggro. Everyone will be happier if people who don't want to tank things don't play tanks.

Eridani

So, which server will most people from Europe be rolling on? Since this game has an action based combat I assume playing on American servers would not be a great idea.

Alright I'll bite

How does this game compare to PSO2? I'm looking for more actiony and less carrot on a stick content.
Also looking for a class that can get away with a lot of mistakes like Fiona(Counter/TankNSpank Playstyle) in Vindictus but able to bring their DPS to the table.
Or just outright heal yourself because :v

Granted, I didn't play much of blade and soul, so I'm really not an authority on high level gameplay, but I did play a bunch of PSO2. I definitely found PSO2 more "actiony", simply because Blade and Soul has cooldowns on dodges and skills, which felt a bit limiting - especially compared to infinite airdashing that gunners in PSO2 have. This likely improves at max level where you have more skills though. Something like TERA is a pretty good comparison to Blade and Soul.

High end PVP in Blade and soul does look insanely actiony though, and the game has some pretty elaborate combos, which is an improvement over PSO2. I also cannot speak much about carrot on a stick content, since that would likely appear later in the game. Lower levels felt like a pretty standard MMO in that regard, but leveling was decently fast and I was able to progress through the game by only following the main storyline, without doing any grinding, which was definitely not the case in PSO2.

Nopren

How do you keep the game from downloading to C: drive? The BnS_Lite_Installer keeps automatically installing to my C: drive and I do not see an option to change it.

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
what up i'm checking Burton yeah just moved but I will have my Internet working 100% for full game this Friday Cant wait to hit lvl cap in couple days than help you everyone else who didnt get early release

Speaking of names, I'm curious: what's the sort of "linguistic base" of the NPC/story character names, if you want a name that matches the world setting? I'd guess Korean, but I don't want to make any assumptions and the race names had me wondering a little. I'm going to be a F2P plebian on this one so no character creation until the 19th, but it'd be nice to know what kind of names to look at in advance.

Jindrael

Banned
I'm pretty hyped for the headstart!

I only got into CBT 3 and 4 but was hooked almost immediately because of the combat.

Only problem is that I can't decide on which class I want to play =(

Maaaaan, I remember when this game was first unveiled and the visuals were unbelievable. Now it looks like a really fun game with massively dated visuals.

It's a cycle for Korean games in the West. I remember being hyped for Aion's visuals when I was playing Lineage 2. Then when Aion finally released I got hyped about Blade and Soul's visuals. Now that Blade and Soul is releasing I'm hyped about Black Desert's visuals. When that game finally makes it over here I'm sure it'll look bland compared to whatever Korea has just created.

Reyben

For those of you who have already played blade and soul in China, Russia or somewhere else: is it true that you can reach the level cap in 25 hours? I keep reading this on the official forums but it sounds unrealistic for an mmorpg...

For those of you who have already played blade and soul in China, Russia or somewhere else: is it true that you can reach the level cap in 25 hours? I keep reading this on the official forums but it sounds unrealistic for an mmorpg...

Why not?
You can do that in most themepark mmo nowadays.

Not in the Chinese version though, as there's a daily stamina system that limits your exp gain per day.

So what is the endgame of this game like ? i'd like a game where i can PvP in a party with my friends and do some challenging PVE.

Endgame in B&S is all about dailies, both pvp and pve.

So what is the endgame of this game like ? i'd like a game where i can PvP in a party with my friends and do some challenging PVE.

I think in the coming updates there will be new dungeons among one being the Mushin Tower that is a difficult solo challenge where you need to "get gud".

That's all I really know about future content. There's probably more than that coming.

Correct!

Good news! You can do world pvp or arena pvp with friends and this game has quite a bit of challenging end game PvE dungeons. :)

Nice ! World pvp is done via a flag (a tunic you wear) is this correct ?

Endgame in B&S is all about dailies, both pvp and pve.

Ok thanks for the answers guys, but what kind of pvp dailies if you know ?

Anyway i will easily convince my friends to try this game, the MMO drought is strong in us.

Just to double-check, BnS_Lite_Installer.exe is the correct file for the new and final client right? I'm currently downloading 8.5gb.

Also will GAF have any guild on EU servers? :eek:

Zand

Neo Member
Just to double-check, BnS_Lite_Installer.exe is the correct file for the new and final client right? I'm currently downloading 8.5gb.

Also will GAF have any guild on EU servers? :eek:

Yes, it should download 8.5g, then do a 3g update.

As for EU, I'm sure GAF is there. =) (Windrest is the most popular server in EU, I think).

Yes, it should download 8.5g, then do a 3g update.

As for EU, I'm sure GAF is there. =) (Windrest is the most popular server in EU, I think).

Alright thanks :) And okay I plan to play on Windrest with my friends anyway so I'll see if there's an official guild announcement then.

Ichabod

Banned
Excellent OT! New NA B&S player reporting in. I tend to favor glass cannon classes so I'm leaning toward FM, but Sin is looking pretty tempting too. Looking forward to the 19th ^^b

arimanius

So what's the closes game that this plays like? I downloaded the game yesterday but still on the fence about it. My friend is thinking of buying the founders pack so he can start playing this Friday. To me it looks like maybe it's close to Tera. That close?

Hollow

This is one of the few MMO's I'm interested in. The combat looks so fun.

Makes me wish I had a decent PC or at least had a PS4 version.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So what's the closes game that this plays like? I downloaded the game yesterday but still on the fence about it. My friend is thinking of buying the founders pack so he can start playing this Friday. To me it looks like maybe it's close to Tera. That close?

Its probably a little more action-y than TERA.

I actually lost interest in this game since it saw it how many years ago. After watching some recent streams, I want to try it out.

Is there going to be a GAF guild or anything for this release? Those who played recently, how has it held up?

wrongway

This is finally coming out over here eh? The original footage from the game's announcement a million years ago looked pretty neat. Will check it out when it's open to plebs. :D

Any word on what class balance is like? Is Force Master any good?

Eridani

Do we know if the Europeans servers will be located in Europe, or somewhere else like FFXIV used to do ?

They are in Europe (around Frankfurt I think). During closed beta I had a very good ping from central Europe, so unless things have changed since then that shouldn't be a problem.

mcz117chief

The game isn't half bad, fans of World of Warcraft style games are going to feel right at home (Guild Wars 2, Lord of the Rings Online, Star Wars the Old Republic, etc.) but if you are looking for something really new then this is not the thing. Graphics, sound, story (somewhat), classes, art direction, cinematography are all good but the combat is your standard tab targeting skill bar key mashing business, which is kind of a shame because if this game had a combat like Ninja Gaiden or Metal Gear Rising it would be phenomenal.

ShinMaruku

It's not the tab targeting type of game though, it's much closer to Tera than it s to GW and those games, while it's pace may be faster than Tera I feel tera is just a tad more accurate but the pace makes up for it a bit.

She's a keeper!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Is there going to be a GAF guild or anything for this release? Those who played recently, how has it held up?

Most definitely. We're still deliberating on a name so any offers that have a G A F theme would be great. I'll post a couple we came up with in the cbt thread when I get home later today.

Nice ! World pvp is done via a flag (a tunic you wear) is this correct?

Bingo!

Kudo

Lyn Blade Dancer and of course Crimson Legion, who wants to be the good guys? Pfft.

If there's other people from EU planning to play would be nice to hear server recommendations before it starts.

Also can I download the client now? Can everyone do name reservation or just for people who bought the game?

Cheers, looking forward to launch.

Kitoro

I've got a few questions!

Is it possible to flag for PvP without taking off one's favorite costume? Basically, can the tunic be equipped as an item rather than having to outwardly wear it?

Second, I noticed that the Master's Pack weapon skin is only usable for one character's weapon. Am I right to believe that every character only uses one single weapon that's powered up through the game? Can I apply the weapon skin to my main character right at the start and enjoy it all the way through?

Lastly, what time on the 15th does the head start begin?

Thanks so much!

TalonJH

This is one of the few MMO's I'm interested in. The combat looks so fun.

Makes me wish I had a decent PC or at least had a PS4 version.

I asked them about the chances of a console version and they Told me, "Not at this time. We won't say never, but it's not something we're currently looking into."

I'm checking it out on PC for now.

Top Bottom