• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle coming to PS4/Switch/Steam

MrCarter

I would pick this up if the Switch had a d-pad and I’m not going to buy the pro controller due to how overpriced it is.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Cool will pick this up on switch, have a pro controller and that cheaper hori controller (got for $8 thanks walmart clearance) not that I'm good enough at fighters for it to matter.

Tizoc

Cool will pick this up on switch, have a pro controller and that cheaper hori controller (got for $8 thanks walmart clearance) not that I'm good enough at fighters for it to matter.
Take it from soneone who has played most of this gen's fighters
Any of them can be played casually whther they have easy input option or not

Take it from soneone who has played most of this gen's fighters
Any of them can be played casually whther they have easy input option or not

I magic/auto comboed into easy super in mvci story so I'm down for that but with a good roster on switch :p

TrueBlue

Man, I wish I was more familiar with the non-RWBY cast. I only played the first Blazblue briefly and have only played Persona 5.

Yep, which is awesome. I assume this is a 4 button game like blazblue, but there has to be another for tags, right? I suppose you could map that to a shoulder button

it's 5 buttons with 3 attack buttons (A, B, C) and one button for Tag and another one for Assist

The Cowboy

Vita was actually the first handheld that was able to do console-parity ports (like Blazblue) but, unlike Vita, Switch has no real D-Pad so that makes it kind of a terrible platform for handheld fighting games.
I play SF2 on mine all the time along with various 2d platformers such as shovel knight etc, I find the separate button setup on the Switch is just fine in these types of games. I can understand why some don't like it over a proper D-Pad, but its far from terrible. Sure i would love a proper D-Pad left Joycon, but the current setup is easily useable (and in fact i prefer it over the Vita setup).

Zalman

I honestly don't think the Switch "D-pad" will be a big deal to most. From my experience with USF2 and other 2D games it works just fine. If you're really serious about the game and play competitively, then yeah, I see your point, but otherwise it's perfectly fine.

I play SF2 on mine all the time along with various 2d platformers such as shovel knight etc, I find the separate button setup on the Switch is just fine in these types of games. I can understand why some don't like it over a proper D-Pad, but its far from terrible. Sure i would love a proper D-Pad left Joycon, but the current setup is easily useable (and in fact i prefer it over the Vita setup).

It's surprisingly easy to pull of Street Fighter moves with it. I find it easier than the Pro Controller.

The Cowboy

It's surprisingly easy to pull of Street Fighter moves with it. I find it easier than the Pro Controller.
It really is, before I got SF2 on my Switch I honestly thought it would be next to impossible to perform certain moves on the separate buttons - but for me it just works and I find it perfectly playable (and its miles better than the horrid 360 D-pad :D) - i recon its due to how close the buttons are as your thumb rests in the middle easily.

MrCarter

I honestly don't think the Switch "D-pad" will be a big deal to most. From my experience with USF2 and other 2D games it works just fine. If you're really serious about the game and play competitively, then yeah, I see your point, but otherwise it's perfectly fine.

Not really. A D-pad is crucial for fighting games as it’s much easier to execute certain moves with it, 2D side-scrollers and adventure games are fine without it as they are more simple in terms of execution. You don’t have to play competitively to prefer playing this way.

ggx2ac

I was always playing with the Pro Controller so I just tried playing Garou: Mark of the Wolves and KoF '98 with the split Dpad on the Joy-Con and it worked fine doing command inputs.

So yeah, it's optional for people to want to use something else. It's not difficult to play with the split Dpad compared to say playing a fighting game using a keyboard.

Zalman

Not really. A D-pad is crucial for fighting games as it’s much easier to execute certain moves with it, 2D side-scrollers and adventure games are fine without it as they are more simple in terms of execution. You don’t have to play competitively to prefer playing this way.
Sure, you can still prefer a traditional D-pad, but what I'm saying is that it doesn't take much to adapt to the Switch one even if it isn't ideal. People managed on the Xbox 360 and that was arguably much worse.

MrCarter

Sure, you can still prefer a traditional D-pad, but what I'm saying is that it doesn't take much to adapt to the Switch one even if it isn't ideal. People managed on the Xbox 360 and that was arguably much worse.

True, but then again I never had a 360. Played mostly on the superior PS D-pads.

Hazama and Racheal are pretty cool picks, I wasn't sure how ASW would retool them to fit into this game's wacky system. Also very cool to get another RWBY reveal, even if it wasn't best girl
Blake.

I was right on the mark guessing PS4, Switch, and PC would be the platforms. With how simple the inputs in this game are, the joycon's directional buttons shouldn't cause that much of a problem (only quarter circles, down-downs, and one tap for dash). I'll still pick it up day 1 on PS4 but I'll probably double dip on Switch later down the line.

Reading what ggx2ac said in the MC thread, this seems like the more logical game to put on Switch than say Central Fiction.

I hope this is beginner-friendly for newcomers.

Weiss looks dope as fuck, I was already of a mind to try and main her (let's be honest she was always gonna be on the roster).

And I'm of two minds genuinely what to get this on, PS4 by default will have a bigger user base, but seeing the Switch up there with it makes me want to test the waters there instead.

ggx2ac

Reading what ggx2ac said in the MC thread, this seems like the more logical game to put on Switch than say Central Fiction.

I hope this is beginner-friendly for newcomers.

It has only three buttons for attacks, that's half of what you get from Street Fighter 2.

You get three attack buttons, one tag button, one assist button.

I don't know if all the characters will have simplified movesets.

What I refer to is that when you compare say BlazBlue to Persona 4: Arena, ASW made Persona 4: Arena more user friendly regarding command inputs such that they were very simple to do.

There's a good chance you won't have to worry about complex commands in this new game.

Edit: Also, there could be a Style mode which is literally an option where you press buttons to do special moves and combos without worrying about performing them properly. That was an option in the BlazBlue games.

So I'm guessing their revealing RWBY in team order so next should be Blake then Yang.

Looks really cool. I'll hopefully have a Switch by the time this comes out but I don't know if I'll go for it or PS4.

1.jpg

The Switch needs a stick designed like an iCade (but better quality). If the Switch is resting in the groove it can plug directly into a USB built into the groove itself.
The Switch just needs a fucking dpad really. Nintendo fuckin up.

Top Bottom