• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Oof, bad luck dude. Have you thought about deleting it from your system and reinstalling it? Have you definitely got the Beast Claw?

Yeah, I definitely have the Beast Claw. I've repurchased all the weapons from the messenger bath multiple times now too. I'm going to try reinstalling and see if that fixes anything. At least I have my end game save backed up to USB so I can keep experimenting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Heh this is why I love these games, seems like people find different things difficult/easy.

For reference I consider myself 'average' on the scale of 'git gud' to 'got gud' in terms of Soulsborne games but going through your experiences was interesting with regards to which bosses you found easy/difficult.

For me Father G and BSB were absolute brick walls, totally lost count of how many times I tried against Father G (without knowing about the box until after the fact), I really had to learn to play the game 'correctly' then and there. BSB and Amalia were also very difficult for me as I still hadn't fully grasped how to play well.

But later bosses like One Reborn, Wet nurse and Gherman (and the one after him) and DS3 bosses you mentioned as more difficult, e.g the Grundyrs, I absolutely demolished.

Heck even Nameless King I got on my 3rd try as, once again, a self-proclaimed average hunter...

Nameless King destroyed me. It's really fascinating how difficulty level works in Souls games!

VpomRurd

So, I've tried to play Bloodborne twice now but what's stopping me from enjoying it is the navigation aspect (and knowing where to go) of the game. I'm not particularly great at navigating something blind. I don't want to use a walkthrough and when I play it I just don't know where to go. I really enjoy the actual act of playing the game though so my question is should I just try and brute force past these issues or give up with it?

Deku Tree

Can the Chalice Dungeons get any worse/ more boring/ dumber?

Jesus... what a waste of my time.

They are optional end game content for people that want that kind of thing. The chalice dungeons were controversial because a lot of people didn't want that kind of stuff. But you don't have to play them unless you NEED the platinum.

I know a player who has a ridiculously huge number of hours in the game, and loves the chalice dungeons, and has spent a massive number of hours grinding for very rare perfect blood gems in depth 5 FRC chalice dungeons, but doesn't even have the platinum and doesn't even care about it...

... don't do things for trophies that you don't want to do and that isn't fun for you. That's all I can say.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
I started my Platinum run last week. Smashed out NG+ to get the other ending trophies and I've made a start on the chalice dungeons.

I finished the Lower Pthumeru Chalice last night, went to create Ailing Loran but I only have 2 of the 9 Ritual Blood (4) required. I just run to the lever on the last 2 floors of Lower Pthumeru. Should I go back and clear those out or am I going to have to grind for materials anyway?

Also help me decide on what weapon to +10 from ng+ run. I'm a strength build, I went through the majority of the game and DLC with the Kirkhammer and Beast Cutter. I like the idea of the wheel but it's underwhelming without arcane? I know people love the Whirligig but it looks so stupid. The Hunter Axe seems good? Can't go wrong with the Saw Cleaver?

grmlin

After playing DS3 for about 300hrs I think it was time to play BB again. OMG I love this game so much. The combat is so amazing, I really missed it.

Got me the Whirlwig Saw early (after Amelia) and will try a strength char this time.

It absolutely blows my mind, that this game still (after beating it multiple times incl. the DLC) shows me new stuff.

Followed Hemwick Charnel Lane after beating Amelia and, I think because I have 20 insight, Mad One's teleported into the level. That never ever happened to me before. I think I'll save my insight and see what else the game has to offer!

I started my Platinum run last week. Smashed out NG+ to get the other ending trophies and I've made a start on the chalice dungeons.

I finished the Lower Pthumeru Chalice last night, went to create Ailing Loran but I only have 2 of the 9 Ritual Blood (4) required. I just run to the lever on the last 2 floors of Lower Pthumeru. Should I go back and clear those out or am I going to have to grind for materials anyway?

Also help me decide on what weapon to +10 from ng+ run. I'm a strength build, I went through the majority of the game and DLC with the Kirkhammer and Beast Cutter. I like the idea of the wheel but it's underwhelming without arcane? I know people love the Whirligig but it looks so stupid. The Hunter Axe seems good? Can't go wrong with the Saw Cleaver?

Whirligig is extremely powerful, it basically makes the game easy mode. I just finished a platinum run with a STR/ARC build and Whirligig, Beast Cutter and Holy Moonlight Sword were my main weapons. Beast Cutter rules and is great against NPC hunters but I feel like it kind of falls off at later levels because the damage scaling doesn't keep up. I ended up switching to HMS and using it's transformed projectiles for crowd control. The Wheel is ok but if you're going to put points into ARC on a strength build, go for the sword.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Whirligig is extremely powerful, it basically makes the game easy mode. I just finished a platinum run with a STR/ARC build and Whirligig, Beast Cutter and Holy Moonlight Sword were my main weapons. Beast Cutter rules and is great against NPC hunters but I feel like it kind of falls off at later levels because the damage scaling doesn't keep up. I ended up switching to HMS and using it's transformed projectiles for crowd control. The Wheel is ok but if you're going to put points into ARC on a strength build, go for the sword.

Maybe I'll disable auto save upload on the PS4 and give the Whirligig a go, see if I like it and what the dps is like on my build. I dont have amazing gems.

Did you have to farm materials for chalice rituals on your platinum run?

Maybe I'll disable auto save upload on the PS4 and give the Whirligig a go, see if I like it and what the dps is like on my build. I dont have amazing gems.

Did you have to farm materials for chalice rituals on your platinum run?

Hardly at all. If you're only doing the fixed Chalice dungeons, if you fully explore each one you should be ok. I think I had to go back in to farm for Ritual Blood once early on, but after you've done a few you build up a pretty big stockpile. You'll also wind up with some really good gems too.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
So I made use of the save download and tried out Whirligig, Log Wheel, HMS, Amy Arm and Axe.

The only one that really impressed me was the Axe (dat transformed charge R2). The WS damage was not what I expected and although it seems to have a good moveset, it lacks the amazing stunlock potential of the Kirkhammer.

Log Wheel feels slow even compared to KH.

HMS doesn't seem bad at all but I dont have the arcane investment to make it useful at the moment.

Amy Arm could be fun but I'm not good enough to main.

Axe was actually really impressive - it does great damage, has an amazing moveset and the 1h rally potential combined with the +20% rally rune could be a lifesaver in the defiled chalice.

So I made use of the save download and tried out Whirligig, Log Wheel, HMS, Amy Arm and Axe.

The only one that really impressed me was the Axe (dat transformed charge R2). The WS damage was not what I expected and although it seems to have a good moveset, it lacks the amazing stunlock potential of the Kirkhammer.

Log Wheel feels slow even compared to KH.

HMS doesn't seem bad at all but I dont have the arcane investment to make it useful at the moment.

Amy Arm could be fun but I'm not good enough to main.

Axe was actually really impressive - it does great damage, has an amazing moveset and the 1h rally potential combined with the +20% rally rune could be a lifesaver in the defiled chalice.

The axe is definitely great. That spin move can get you out of so many bad situations. It was my starting weapon and the only reason I didn't stick with it is because it's kind of boring visually IMO. It's an axe that transforms into... a bigger axe. Same with the Kirkhammer, it was just not that interesting.

The Whirligig really comes into its own with the use of its transformed L2 and beast blood pellets, specifically against bosses or larger enemies. Rom, The One Reborn, even Ludwig get absolutely wrecked by it, to an almost game breaking degree.

That's the great thing though, all the weapons are viable depending on your build and style of play.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
So I went back to Lower Pthumeru level 3 and only found 1 Ritual Blood (4). Which brings me to 3. Hope there's more on the next floor. Still need 6 to create the Ailing Loran chalice.

Anyway, after clearing out the floor with the Kirkhammer, I don't know why I considered switching to anything else. I love this weapon. The hammer charge R2 and R2 follow up is godlike. The L2 is great for clearing mobs. Those giant centipede things? 2 hits. The only thing I switched to the Beast Cutter for were those red eye dogs. Fuck those red eyes dogs. Seriously.

Weiss

Banned
The Old Hunters is so incredible. Calling it DLC is shortchanging it; it's more of an old 90s style expansion pack.

I'm probably going to get my shit pushed in by Ludwig and OoK tho.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
While still probably harder than any of the main game bosses, I didn't think Ludwig was on the same level as Laurence or OoK. They're absolute savages. Ludwigs first phase has some bullshit but it's manageable and his second phase is pretty easy to learn.

After running all of level 4 of Lower Pthumeru I did indeed have enough materials to create Ailing Loran. I made my way through the treasure room before the first lamp, seemed to be going fine then I ran into that screaming guy with the two sickles. Scared the crap out of me, and killed me. Hope there aren't two many of those guys in here. Seem to be a lot of beasts as well, I wonder if it's worth putting my good gems in the Beast Cutter for this one.

I didn't think Ludwig was as bad as Lawrence or OoK either, but it's such a step up from the main game bosses that he feels insurmountable on the first few tries.

And by few I mean he took me like 15 tries before I got gud.

Weiss

Banned
My very first time I fought him I beat him on my first try and I felt good enough about that that I had to brag about it now.

This took me about 6 or 7, which honestly is pretty good for me, but shit, I can't think of any bosses that inspire such visceral joy and triumph in me than the fight against the Holy Blade.

cj_iwakura

Well I've beaten the game after abour 1.5 month playing it on and off. Never fired a single bullet - so the guns could be not existing for all I care. Please bring back my Greatshield of Artorias in Bloodborne 2 :(

I think it is amazing and incredible piece of ART and GENIUS but it stays 0.05% behind Demon's Souls for me.

What it lacks is the a) variety in the environments b) challenging bosses.

a) I've played this game in the dark and I think I discovered all optional areas:
- Cainhurst
- Upper Cathedral Ward
- Hypogean Gaol

My favourite place in the entire game is the Nightmare of Mensis with one of the best level arcs in the entire game (the Mind of Mensis) even though it is very similiar to dropping down the Hear in Tower of Latria 3-2.

Given the above the game truly feels like being stuck in "city" and "castle" areas. Forbidden Woods is quite different but it is only one area (my 2nd favourite in the game BTW). Yharnam is basically all castles. Then you go to Cainhurst - a castle. Then to Nightmare - another castle!

But would I have changed it? Designed it in a different way? No. The game is super coherent with being what it is and I do not think any additional (non-DLC) areas were needed in Miyazaki's mind.

Well, I love castles. The more the merrier, I just wish we had an outdoor ruin like Shrine of Storms(my favorite area in any Souls game, ever).

b) maybe it is because I've played all other Souls games before but I found the bosses in Bloodborne being unusually easy for a game without shields. They look and act incredible but most of them I saw only once because I killed them on the first try. I made a list actually:

- Cleric Beast - 1st try
- Father Gascoigne - 1st try
- Vicar Amelia - 1st try
- Blood-starved Beast - 3rd try
- Shadows of Yharnam - 1st try
- Darkbeast Paarl - 1st try
- Amygdala - 1st try
- Celestial Emissary - 1st try
- Witch of Hemwick - 1st try
- Rom, The Spider - 1st try
- The One Reborn - 3rd try
- Micolash - 8th try (2nd hardest boss in the game)
- Wet Nurse - 3rd try (only because I was greedy)
- Cosmos Daughter - 4th try (camera issues)
- Martyr Logarius - 4th try (simply tried him too early)
- Gehrman - 8th try (hardest fucking boss in the game)

You did them alone? Because I haven't used online help since Cleric Beast(before my + trial ran out :/ ).

I easily died the most against Logarius or Amelia, mostly because I loved the second fight so much that I didn't mind dying.

I died a whole lot on everything, though, aside from One Reborn. Second try.

My very first time I fought him I beat him on my first try and I felt good enough about that that I had to brag about it now.

This took me about 6 or 7, which honestly is pretty good for me, but shit, I can't think of any bosses that inspire such visceral joy and triumph in me than the fight against the Holy Blade.

Thats because his fight is not unfair and there is no gimmicks involved like Larry or Orphan last phases where you cant even touch them if you follow their fighting style

Melchiah

b) maybe it is because I've played all other Souls games before but I found the bosses in Bloodborne being unusually easy for a game without shields. They look and act incredible but most of them I saw only once because I killed them on the first try. I made a list actually:

- Cleric Beast - 1st try
- Father Gascoigne - 1st try
- Vicar Amelia - 1st try
- Blood-starved Beast - 3rd try
- Shadows of Yharnam - 1st try
- Darkbeast Paarl - 1st try
- Amygdala - 1st try
- Celestial Emissary - 1st try
- Witch of Hemwick - 1st try
- Rom, The Spider - 1st try
- The One Reborn - 3rd try
- Micolash - 8th try (2nd hardest boss in the game)
- Wet Nurse - 3rd try (only because I was greedy)
- Cosmos Daughter - 4th try (camera issues)
- Martyr Logarius - 4th try (simply tried him too early)
- Gehrman - 8th try (hardest fucking boss in the game)

During my three playthroughs, one of them NG+, Micolash never managed to kill me. I'm always surprised to hear it's been that much harder for others. It might be, that I've just been lucky enough to avoid/evade his insta-death attack.

Pretty much the same goes for the bosses of Defiled chalice, which weren't that hard mechanically, just demanded a lot of patience. And a bit of luck to avoid the charge attack of Watchdog of the Old Lords.

Gehrman went down pretty easily on the first time, but surprisingly took several tries when I loaded a backup save to get another ending.
(EDIT: Just checked from the trophy list, and it took about an hour to beat him on the second time)

The hardest bosses for me were...
  • Blood-starved Beast (had to buy the 10k key, get the Black Church gear, and level up for it)
  • Shadow of Yharnam
  • Rom (never managed to beat her on the 1st try, the chalice version was even harder due to the cramped space)
  • Martyr Logarius
  • Ebrietas (had to switch to Ludwig's Holy Blade from the Threaded Cane on the 1st playthrough)
  • Abhorrent Beast (used Poison Knives, and Evelyn with Bone Marrow Ash to beat him)
  • Undead Giant (the one with balls and chains)
  • Pthumerian Descendant (Ihyll chalice, he took me more tries than any other boss)
  • Headless Bloodletting Beast (couldn't beat him with Saw Cleaver and Whirligig Saw, but the trusted whip mode of Threaded Cane did the trick)
  • Orphan of Kos
  • Laurence (still haven't beat him on NG+)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ever since the Old Hunters additions, I'm absolutely in love with how From has implemented an 'easy' mode with the Old hunters summons.

Gaaaah I want to play this again already...

Just waiting to finish Nioh (that I'm sad to say I'm not enjoying as much as the rest of Gaf, but to each his/her own) and for that boost patch to hit us non-beta folks.

Ooh, what's that smell... The sweet blood, ooh, it sings to me!

Deku Tree

I thought the old hunters summons were hard mode because the boss has more health and the NPC hunters are horrible. Well almost all of them are horrible.

Corky

I thought the old hunters summons were hard mode because the boss has more health and the NPC hunters are horrible. Well almost all of them are horrible.

Ah but if you let them act as the meat shields they are then you'll get a proper swing at the boss lol...

Thinking specifically bosses like Ludwig...and since you can summon two of them bosses like Rom with her added minions (any other boss with adds during the fight, can't think of the top of my head?) become so much more easier I feel like.

aravuus

Gets almost everyone on first try, yet Micolash took 8 tries. Was it hard for a lot of people? I wonder if I just lucked through it, cause I took him down on first try fairly easily.

Corky

Gets almost everyone on first try, yet Micolash took 8 tries. Was it hard for a lot of people? I wonder if I just lucked through it, cause I took him down on first try fairly easily.

Well since the fight is a bit scripted it did take me at least a couple of tries in pure frustration to be able to progress it until the point of final battle and then he oneshotted me with a call beyond or whatever that magic attack was called. Or was it Augur of Ebrietas...still damn that was annoying. Took me a few tries to get the spacing right and then it was sleepytime for Micolash.

Corky

If you dont give him space to use A Call Beyond he's a pushover.

But see that was part of the frustration, I was initiallly under the impression that you needed to be up in face for him not to use it or for it to miss but I still got wrecked. Nowadays I keep my distance a meter or two away from him and that's a nice way, at least for my char, to avoid his spells.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think in this game, the hardest bosses for me from hardest to not-quite-as-hard, were NG+ Ludwig (probably like 6+ hours of attempts), NG+ Orphan of Kos (around 2-3 hours), Martyr Logarius (I faced him way early I think - around level 40?), Amelia (I was way too passive and let her heal a lot), NG+ Laurence, Gehrman (I had really gotten used to the cane by the time I fought him, so he wasn't so bad), and Paarl (I was too passive, and fuck that camera).

IIRC Micolash took me like 3-4 tries, mostly because A Call Beyond oneshotted me and I didn't know what to do against it at first.

I still have yet to fight Ebrietas though, so I should get on that. I totally missed that entire area my first time through and I've been meaning to get on that in NG+.

By contrast, I think everything in vanilla DS3 was easier than the Bloodborne DLC bosses. The hardest bosses for me in that game were probably Nameless King > Sulyvahn > Demon King > Dancer.

It's his magical AoE attack - basically OHKO. I tried dodging to the left, dodging to the right, dodging away from him, into him, into him + R1 etc. nothing worked. Everytime he casted that I got hit. When I beat him he casted it only once other times he went crazy casting it again and again and again... Everytime I fought him - 8 times - he casted it. It's crazy how he did not cast it at all for some other players.

Melchiah

By contrast, I think everything in vanilla DS3 was easier than the Bloodborne DLC bosses. The hardest bosses for me in that game were probably Nameless King > Sulyvahn > Demon King > Dancer.

The aggressive DS3 bosses were very hard for me, because I couldn't rely on parrying like in BB. I had to turn to NPC partners for most of them, and summon another player for the Nameless King.

Nameless King > Champion Gundyr > Abyss Watchers / Pontiff Sulyvahn > Old Demon King

Whereas Aldrich and Dancer were pretty easy even on solo, in contrast to how hard they've been to others. IIRC, I beat both of them on the second try.

psyfi

Banned
I dunno if yall remember, but I got stuck after beating Amelia a few weeks ago and was asking for help on where to go next. I was trying to make progress in Hypogean Gaol but was getting my ass kicked by the lightning boss. Well, you all pointed me towards the Forbidden Woods, but I didn't have time to play again until last night and today... And damn, the Forbidden Woods is amazing. Just when I was starting to get bored with this game, it pulls me right back in.

After multiple playthroughs, I find Micolash to be cake now - you just have to stay close to him at all times and he won't cast Call from Beyond and be wary of when he's gonna Auger.

jviggy43

NG +5 Lawerence at level 118 was probably the hardest boss in any souls' game I have played. Playing him on NG was much easier but the pool of life he has at NG 5 plus the fact that nearly every attack one shots you, ruined my life; and I'm one of those ego soul players who refuses to summon for help and has beaten every boss. I almost broke a controller to him. Funny cause most people say he isn't hard at all so no idea why I struggled so bad.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Well, created the Cursed Defiled Pthumeru chalice. I already have the mats to create Great Isz (for the red jelly) so I think I might just run to the boss levers and buy whatever ritual blood (5) I need for the last chalice with blood echoes. I really dont fancy doing 3 whole floors with -50% HP.

I didn't both with the last boss in Ailing Loran, I just cleared the floor and treasure room. Got Beast Possessed Soul first try and Blood Starved Beast on the 2nd. Grabbed the Beast Claw and got the Hunter's Essence trophy so I do just have the 1 left.

Little disappointed that this far down into the Chalice dungeons I'm yet to find any physical gems better than the 18% ones you get from the main game.

Spacejaws

Just beat Maria holy shit what a rush. Went from her beating me down in no time at all to slipping around her moveset. Still a bit sloppy but wittled her down in the end. Not many games make me drop the controller and fist pump the air what a fantastic game.

psyfi

Banned
Should I buy the DLC before or after I beat the main game? I just clear the Moonside Lake and everything's going bonkers.

Cool, thanks! I know nothing about the DLC. Should I just get it now?
Sure. You can access it at a certain point in the game,
after Vicar Amelia
, a new item appears in the Hunters Dream on the steps. It's intended as late game content so expect a challenge! :)

psyfi

Banned
Anyone want to help me out with The One Reborn?

Sure. You can access it at a certain point in the game,
after Vicar Amelia
, a new item appears in the Hunters Dream on the steps. It's intended as late game content so expect a challenge! :)
Awesome, I appreciate the info!

Whales

Banned
talking about bosses, the one I had a fuckton of difficulty on was def orphan of kos

I still remember, I had 1 vial left and almost np HP, he flung up and started attacking a really random spot far away from me ( lol thanks AI fuck up), I healed and rushed in for the kill

He took me so many tries and on the try I finished him I had 0 vials left... My heart was fucking pounding

After multiple playthroughs, I find Micolash to be cake now - you just have to stay close to him at all times and he won't cast Call from Beyond and be wary of when he's gonna Auger.

I killed him on my second attempt by trapping him in a corner by spamming Beast roar then just charging my spin attack into him over and over and over and over
and over

----

Anyway, so I'm at the
Wet nurse
and that was uh...... kind of anti-climatic. Only reason I didn't beat her on the first try was because I didn't have max blood viles going in. Hell I walked into the area not expecting to do well and just die quickly, only to get her down to like 20% health. I expected more of a challenge.

Well, created the Cursed Defiled Pthumeru chalice. I already have the mats to create Great Isz (for the red jelly) so I think I might just run to the boss levers and buy whatever ritual blood (5) I need for the last chalice with blood echoes. I really dont fancy doing 3 whole floors with -50% HP.

I didn't both with the last boss in Ailing Loran, I just cleared the floor and treasure room. Got Beast Possessed Soul first try and Blood Starved Beast on the 2nd. Grabbed the Beast Claw and got the Hunter's Essence trophy so I do just have the 1 left.

Little disappointed that this far down into the Chalice dungeons I'm yet to find any physical gems better than the 18% ones you get from the main game.

Seriously, the Chalice Dungeons are the worst part of the game. I know they are 100% optional but I gotta get dat plat and it is a physical pain going through them. They do not fit in the Bloodborne game at all.

Corky

I killed him on my second attempt by trapping him in a corner by spamming Beast roar then just charging my spin attack into him over and over and over and over
and over

----

Anyway, so I'm at the
Wet nurse
and that was uh...... kind of anti-climatic. Only reason I didn't beat her on the first try was because I didn't have max blood viles going in. Hell I walked into the area not expecting to do well and just die quickly, only to get her down to like 20% health. I expected more of a challenge.

I have to be honest, what that boss lacks in challenge it makes up for in visual splendor if you ask me - such a cool looking/moving boss, and that music...

I'm talking about things as if I'm also in the middle of a run but I think it's been like a year plus since I booted up the game. That's how much every facet of the game stuck with me, no wonder people go crazy and do their meticulous lore investigations and whatnot.

Melchiah

talking about bosses, the one I had a fuckton of difficulty on was def orphan of kos

I still remember, I had 1 vial left and almost np HP, he flung up and started attacking a really random spot far away from me ( lol thanks AI fuck up), I healed and rushed in for the kill

He took me so many tries and on the try I finished him I had 0 vials left... My heart was fucking pounding

My experience was similar to yours; no vials, and only a sliver of health left.

KsqYKUxl.jpg

Here's a video of it: https://youtu.be/T-zSyYDmG5Q

I barely managed to win by getting some of the health back by countering.

I didn't both with the last boss in Ailing Loran,I just cleared the floor and treasure room. Got Beast Possessed Soul first try and Blood Starved Beast on the 2nd. Grabbed the Beast Claw and got the Hunter's Essence trophy so I do just have the 1 left.

Well, if you just run to the boss levers, you're bound to miss rewards like gems. I took it as a challenge, and cleared all the rooms in all the chalices (including Defiled), which rewarded me with higher physical attack gems.

Top Bottom