• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne (PS4) Playstation Blog Update - New Details, New Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all saw the leaked gameplay teaser... Despite the shotgun, I still want the gameplay to be 'slow' like the Soul Series, that's what made it unique. Don't know if a faster pace will ruin it. Keeping an open mind here though.

I'm wondering about the leaked footage we saw. It seems like like this was a Souls game at one point. At any rate, I hope the environments are quite large.

Deadstar

As has been at the core of our development philosophy since Demon’s Souls, we make true games for people who love games.

Yes, you do. Looks amazing. I can't wait to jump into this world. Also glad to hear it's early 2015.

Do people think this will help move PS4s in Japan?

At this point, any Japanese made game that's semi-big is going to help move PS4's in Japan. In fact, any kind of release is going to help PS4's in Japan. There is literally nothing to get other than cross-gen multiplatform western made games for them.

Also, changing up the combat to more twitch based and aggressive (i.e, kill them before they kill you) approach is great.

Dark Souls 2 was becoming too much of a "get a decent shield" let them attack, watch for the stagger and take em out approach.

Raptor

v05ALWE.jpg

I can't take it!!

BEAUTIFUL!!

14206641977_190463c992_o.jpg

"...while also transitioning from the passive and block-and-attack style of Demon’s Souls to a quicker, more offensive and active combat style with close-range weapons and guns.":

It appears that shields are still in the game, even though it's sort of implied that we will see less of them. One of the enemies on the left side of the bonfire is clearly holding a shield.

todahawk

"keeping the deep strategic elements from Demon’s Souls, while also transitioning from the passive and block-and-attack style of Demon’s Souls to a quicker, more offensive and active combat style with close-range weapons and guns."

My preferred play-style in the Souls games was and is aggressive, no-shield play, so this is pretty much music to my ears.

time to start a no shield character on demon's souls...

I'm wondering about the leaked footage we saw. It seems like like this was a Souls game at one point.

I think it still is a Souls game, tbh. I also think that fog gate we saw in the leaks will be in there. We haven't seen any gameplay trailers yet, so I'd wait on that. With a projected release of next Spring (March? April?), I bet we see a gameplay trailer at Gamescom or TGS at the latest.

Kuro

The "more active but still deadly" combat makes it sound like security blanket shields are gone... Guess we're gonna have to GIT GUD or die trying. I'll probably be doing a lot of the latter.

Yeah I had friends that would tower shield their way through the Souls games.

I inadvertently started playing DSII much more aggressively than I did the previous two games, in both of which I always hid behind a shield. I'm glad I did, otherwise I'd be horrified by the gameplay changes in Bloodborne.

Edit:

Fuck great shields. Smaller shields with 100% physical are the way to go. With a high enough equip limit you can still stay very mobile with a smaller shield and nice armor.

StuBurns

Banned
More enemies in encounters are going to inherently reduce the viability of shields anyway. With staggered attacks in groups, the windows for attacking are much more restrictive.

Kieli

This is absolutely a system seller for me.

I don't know what y'all are talking about, but this is a SYSTEM SELLER FOR ME.

Orayn

More enemies in encounters are going to inherently reduce the viability of shields anyway. With staggered attacks in groups, the windows for attacking are much more restrictive.

Yep, hopefully this will bring some cool new crowd-fighting mechanics as well, like hordes of enemies that break into groups and attack you from multiple angles.

Booshka

"keeping the deep strategic elements from Demon’s Souls, while also transitioning from the passive and block-and-attack style of Demon’s Souls to a quicker, more offensive and active combat style with close-range weapons and guns."

My preferred play-style in the Souls games was and is aggressive, no-shield play, so this is pretty much music to my ears.

Ya this, no shield, rolling and dodging, dual wield or 2 handing a weapon. It's the fastest and most fun way to play Souls, so this is perfect news to hear.

Super fucking hyped.

We all saw the leaked gameplay teaser... Despite the shotgun, I still want the gameplay to be 'slow' like the Soul Series, that's what made it unique. Don't know if a faster pace will ruin it. Keeping an open mind here though.

That leaked video was old.
I told you guys you won't need to worry about the visuals. Game is going to be awesome looking

Haunted

Love the atmosphere, they're nailing that dark and gothic mood.

Also nice to have confirmation that it's really a From developed game - they still can't render fur for shit. :lol

14206641977_190463c992_o.jpg

"...while also transitioning from the passive and block-and-attack style of Demon’s Souls to a quicker, more offensive and active combat style with close-range weapons and guns.":

It appears that shields are still in the game, even though it's sort of implied that we will see less of them. One of the enemies on the left side of the bonfire is clearly holding a shield.

I can't wait to rest there!

shandy706

Cool scenery there.

I'm about as excited for this as I am for the Halo pack.

Which is not at all really. Not really a Halo fan..and find the Souls games boring.

The settings they keep showing do intrigue me though. Previous looks was enough to pull me into the thread just to looks at the pics :).

I can't wait to rest there!

Poor werewolf....you have to set him on fire to rest. :(

squidyj

At this point, any Japanese made game that's semi-big is going to help move PS4's in Japan. In fact, any kind of release is going to help PS4's in Japan. There is literally nothing to get other than cross-gen multiplatform western made games for them.

Also, changing up the combat to more twitch based and aggressive (i.e, kill them before they kill you) approach is great.

Dark Souls 2 was becoming too much of a "get a decent shield" let them attack, watch for the stagger and take em out approach.

really? I had an easier time "rolling all the things" in Dark Souls 2 than in any other Souls game.

Orayn

Love the atmosphere, they're nailing that dark and gothic mood.

Also nice to have confirmation that it's really a From developed game - they still can't render fur for shit. :lol

I accidentally misread this post without "fur" and was about to chastise you and say something about bullshots, but yeah. Fur doesn't look super great, but the overall quality of this game's visuals is phenomenal.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This looks bonkers. Bloodborne will make me get a PS4. Early 2015... Not too far off either.

I love everything about this game: that they're keeping the essence of the Souls games alive, but moreso that it feels fresh and new enough, like a different beast altogether. The new setting, horror style, and different approach to combat are all music to my ears. I love the artstyle/aesthetic as well

Looks great but I'm somewhat concerned about the "faster more action based" gameplay thing. One of my favorite things about the Souls series is how you can approach a fight any way you want. You can choose to go in guns blazing, but you can also hang back and try to get enemies one at a time and take them out slowly and methodically. If this turns into Devil May Cry with 30 enemies attacking you at once while you use your sword to juggle them in the air I'll actually cry.

It's Miyazaki so I doubt it's going to go straight up action, but I'm still gonna at least keep it in mind until I see actual gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom