• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodline |OT| Netflix - S1 up now - Chandler, Mendelsohn, Cardellini *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the first four eps. I really like it. It's nothing that will shock you or blow you out of your seat, it's extremely slow moving, but I am interested in most of the main characters.

Early on the focus is that they apparently kill their older brother, though we don't know the why or how. You think you're going to root for them to get away with it. However, I really like the fact that after four eps, Ben Mendelsohn's portrayal of Danny goes from pain in the ass to extremely sympathetic. There's no cartoonish villians here, and the deeper the secrets go everybody is ending up flawed and grey. I'm really hoping Danny survives somehow as he is far and away the most interesting.

TripOpt55

I just finished up Episode 5. I really like it. I like seeing the mysteries unravel and trying to piece things together along the way. Great acting too of course. As has been mentioned the pace is slow (which might turn some off), but it really hasn't bothered me. I've been enjoying it. They definitely leave episodes off in places that make you want to watch another too!

Watched the first episode. Very good. Plot is looking very interesting.
Ep1
in flashforward, the person Kyle Chandler carries and then burns, it's Danny right? I know it's him, and dialogue and everything else supports that, but when they showed his face it was a little hard to understand if it was him or not, with wet hair and everything.

maxcriden

Ep1
in flashforward, the person Kyle Chandler carries and then burns, it's Danny right? I know it's him, and dialogue and everything else supports that, but when they showed his face it was a little hard to understand if it was him or not, with wet hair and everyhing.

I had the same feeling, but yeah,
as far as I could tell, it's him.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Finished the first episode, definitely a slow burn, but I think I will like the show. So far, the cast is top notch. The ending has me hooked.

Ep1
in flashforward, the person Kyle Chandler carries and then burns, it's Danny right? I know it's him, and dialogue and everything else supports that, but when they showed his face it was a little hard to understand if it was him or not, with wet hair and everything.

I had the same feeling, but yeah,
as far as I could tell, it's him.

Correct.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Ep. 5:
"Robert Rayburn is dead." Well, I guess Danny was right. That was the last time he'd ever see him. And he never signed the will, I guess. I should stop posting as I'm watching.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Binged the first 6 episodes, but haven't had time to gather my thoughts because it's all been a blur.

One thing I will say is that it is very slow moving, haha.

(Episodes 1-4)
However, I really like the fact that after four eps, Ben Mendelsohn's portrayal of Danny goes from pain in the ass to extremely sympathetic. I'm really hoping Danny survives somehow as he is far and away the most interesting.

Agreed. Ben Mendelsohn's Danny is easily the best character, (ep 1)
so it's a shame they apparently kill him off. I honestly don't know if I want another season (if that's even in the cards - I have no idea if they planned for one) without him in it, as the rest of the cast haven't yet convinced me that they can carry the show on their own. Which is strange, given the fact that Kyle Chandler is in the cast, but so far I think he's actually the weakest character out of the main bunch.

I am struggling to get through the first episode, it's very slow paced and does not feel like anything is going anywhere. I know it's episode one but it feels directionless so far.

Like it a lot 2 episodes in. The
Flash forwards
are very Damages-ey, which (Damages vague spoilers)
make me wonder if there is going to be some twist at the end of it.

styl3s

Watched the first 3 episodes yesterday and really, really enjoyed those episodes however my only gripe with the show is my gripe with Damages and it's that
The first episode shows what presumably is the end of the season and you get those flash forward type deals throughout the episodes. I am not the biggest fan of that type of storytelling but maybe it will pay off
since i am off today/tomorrow i am going to try and finish up the whole season.

shink

Watched the first 3 episodes yesterday and really, really enjoyed those episodes however my only gripe with the show is my gripe with Damages and it's that
The first episode shows what presumably is the end of the season and you get those flash forward type deals throughout the episodes. I am not the biggest fan of that type of storytelling but maybe it will pay off
since i am off today/tomorrow i am going to try and finish up the whole season.
I was worried too
but flash forwarding stops within the first few episodes, instead flash backs are more frequent but used effectively in most cases

shink

Up to ep 11 now, Danny
becomes increasingly more antagonistic and harder to sympathise with his situation

Superficially speaking, i'm getting The Affair vibes from this.
That was pretty good.

only saw the first episode. I don't think any of these characters will be anywhere near as engaging as noah and alison but I get where you're coming from.

coastal community
some behind the curtain fuckery going on

UrbanRats

only saw the first episode. I don't think any of these characters will be anywhere near as engaging as noah and alison but I get where you're coming from.

coastal community
some behind the curtain fuckery going on

Yeah, also the slow burning aspect.
-
Anyway i'll wait for more of y'all opinions.

shink

Just finished it. Not bad overall
Gets more intense by the end of it but seems like it sets up stuff for another season with the kid

Watched the first episode and it was good but not particularly so. I'll be going back to shows that are higher on my priority list and put this one on the backburner.

Finished it. Remains a slow burn until the last few episodes. The difference between this and Damages is that Damages was completely absurd and would lie to you every chance they got just for the sake of a twist. It got to the point where nothing meant anything because the show wasn't playing fair. This is much more grounded, measured, and honest in its approach. Really enjoyed it overall.

rexor0717

This isn't a show I want to binge, but I do want to finish it. Its not exactly heavy but something about it doesn't really beg to burned through.

styl3s

On episode 12 and i take back what i said about
the flashback/flash forward stuff
it's def a show that has a slow-slow burn to it and it's a show i def wouldn't watch week-week.

Works much, much better in binge sessions.

Amir0x

Banned
On last episode, not sure there should really be a second season of this frankly. Not sure how that'd work.

I think the first few episodes are watchable but once Danny starts to become unlikable the show stops being good enough to watch. I don't even want to finish this.

8 episodes in. Am I the only one who notices that these people are constantly drinking. Literally every conversation has alcohol involved.

On last episode, not sure there should really be a second season of this frankly. Not sure how that'd work.

On one hand I agree, on the other, I kind of think just one more season is required.
They've seemingly gotten away with it, but really, a second season with them all being ripped apart by this could be really good.

This is billed (and definitely marketed) as Chandler's show, but Mendelsohn completely owns this season.

I was hoping the twist would be that Danny somehow survived. Continuing the show without him feels like the equivalent of continuing Damages past season one without Glen Close's character. His performance really elevates the whole production. But it became obvious the more unambiguiously unhinged his character became that this series wouldn't be centred on him. Further seasons might be interesting, especially if they don't chicken out on the sibling conspiracy falling apart, but I think they made a real mistake not making this a neo-noir crime drama focused on Danny. There's so much great Florida-set crime fiction to take inspiration from.

Also, Chloe Sevigny needs to be in more things.

Amir0x

Banned
On one hand I agree, on the other, I kind of think just one more season is required.
They've seemingly gotten away with it, but really, a second season with them all being ripped apart by this could be really good.

Now that I've finished it...

<all eps spoilers>

My problem is that Danny was so central to the tension of every moment, so pivotal to the interplay between each character in every scene that I don't know what they do to fill that void. Danny is gone. The vicious cycle that started when Sarah died and the family all lied for their Dad over Danny is finished. Sure, we can witness the deconstruction of this family further... when someone inevitably ties them to the killing, to see Danny's son and the guilt that comes with having murdered the man he's looking for. And sure, we could see the family business collapse, Sarah come to terms that her family was an illusion all along and all of the kids one after another hauled off to prison in handcuffs.

But to me I'm just not sure the character drama works sans that category four hurricane that was Danny at the center of the action. Danny's son isn't going to be able to replace that. I'm sure they can still make some sort of family drama that might work, but I'm just not convinced the show is strong enough on its own to be particularly compelling without that fully loaded gun that made the entire drama feel like any moment it could go off and consume everyone. Danny was the main character as far as I was concerned, and John is no where near as compelling. Meg is OK, but Kenny is basically just bottled rage. He's not particularly interesting even in the first season.

I dunno. I think without Danny, it becomes a typical family drama that might barely work but is probably not going to be worth my future time. We'll see, I'll give it a fair shot but I think this feels like it could have been a one shot show.

styl3s

Do you still feel this way after seeing the final episode because they set it up for a second season.

I agree with most about it not being better then Damages but it's still a great show IMO.

mackaveli

can anyone explain to me what happened to Sarah, like the true story, i watched the first 3 episodes and than don't really want to continue and just skipped to the ending and have the jist of what was going on, but the flashbacks to the story of Sarah and Danny is confusing me. thanks. and I know I should have watched it in sequence etc., but I don't want to waste 6 hours watching the middle episodes as I wasn't that into it. Maybe I'll watch it later down the road.

can anyone explain to me what happened to Sarah, like the true story, i watched the first 3 episodes and than don't really want to continue and just skipped to the ending and have the jist of what was going on, but the flashbacks to the story of Sarah and Danny is confusing me. thanks. and I know I should have watched it in sequence etc., but I don't want to waste 6 hours watching the middle episodes as I wasn't that into it. Maybe I'll watch it later down the road.

MAJOR Spoilers for the ENTIRE backstory:
Danny took Sarah out on the boat to cheer her up since their parents were separating. She dropped her necklace into a crack in the reef and got her hand stuck trying to get it back, thus drowning. In his grief their Dad beat Danny so badly that it broke his shoulder, and the mother told all the children to lie to the police about it. Then they all basically blamed Danny for Sarah's death and protected the father despite his abuse of Danny.

mackaveli

MAJOR Spoilers for the ENTIRE backstory:
Danny took Sarah out on the boat to cheer her up since their parents were separating. She dropped her necklace into a crack in the reef and got her hand stuck trying to get it back, thus drowning. In his grief their Dad beat Danny so badly that it broke his shoulder, and the mother told all the children to lie to the police about it. Then they all basically blamed Danny for Sarah's death and protected the father despite his abuse of Danny.

Thanks a lot man. Appreciate it. That's what I gathered and just wanted to confirm.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
it's def a show that has a slow-slow burn to it and it's a show i def wouldn't watch week-week.

Works much, much better in binge sessions.

I think so too. It's evident that 'Bloodline' was tailor made for Netflix's all-at-once binge model, and I couldn't see myself (or others) being engaged by it when having to wait a week in between each episode.

The pacing is glacial, but being able to jump right into the next episode helps immensely.

I can see where they'd take the show in a second season, yeah, but I have no idea how they could get a full season out of the bits of stuff they teased at the end. Even though I don't think the show (ep 13)
can work without Danny,
I could definitely get behind a 6 episode mini wrap up season or something to that effect. Any more episodes than that though, and I'd be worried.

And I can't even imagine how they could get more than two seasons out of it.

(ep 13)
I was hoping the twist would be that Danny somehow survived. Continuing the show without him feels like the equivalent of continuing Damages past season one without Glen Close's character. His performance really elevates the whole production.

(ep 13)
I really hope they don't think they can make an ongoing series revolving around the remnants of the family. Danny was the glue that held the entire show together - the main reason the show was even compelling at all - and I think that it all falls apart when you remove him from the equation. That final episode was honestly my least favorite episode. Wanna guess why? :/

This is especially problematic because it was the season's finale. The climax of the story. That alone should have been enough to get me riled up, but without Danny in the mix, I found myself struggling to care. What is the show going to do when they're still without Danny but it's not the finale - when the pacing slows way down again? I certainly don't envy the writers should they get another season.

I think they made a real mistake not making this a neo-noir crime drama focused on Danny. There's so much great Florida-set crime fiction to take inspiration from.

That potentially would have been really great.

Also, Chloe Sevigny needs to be in more things.

Yes. She's awesome.

Now that I've finished it...

<all eps spoilers>

My problem is that Danny was so central to the tension of every moment, so pivotal to the interplay between each character in every scene that I don't know what they do to fill that void. Danny is gone. The vicious cycle that started when Sarah died and the family all lied for their Dad over Danny is finished. Sure, we can witness the deconstruction of this family further... when someone inevitably ties them to the killing, to see Danny's son and the guilt that comes with having murdered the man he's looking for. And sure, we could see the family business collapse, Sarah come to terms that her family was an illusion all along and all of the kids one after another hauled off to prison in handcuffs.

But to me I'm just not sure the character drama works sans that category four hurricane that was Danny at the center of the action. Danny's son isn't going to be able to replace that. I'm sure they can still make some sort of family drama that might work, but I'm just not convinced the show is strong enough on its own to be particularly compelling without that fully loaded gun that made the entire drama feel like any moment it could go off and consume everyone. Danny was the main character as far as I was concerned, and John is no where near as compelling. Meg is OK, but Kenny is basically just bottled rage. He's not particularly interesting even in the first season.

I dunno. I think without Danny, it becomes a typical family drama that might barely work but is probably not going to be worth my future time. We'll see, I'll give it a fair shot but I think this feels like it could have been a one shot show.

Agreed Ami, agreed.

Salsa

just finished

thought it was great. netflix continues their roll

I also find it weird and kinda worrisome on how it'll continue, but im honestly really interested in how they'll end up doing it, so im in

Booshka

I'm creeping through it, about halfway through episode 3. I dig it so far, the pacing isn't bothering me, and I agree it seems tailor made for Netflix binging.

Hopefully more people get into it, and Ben Mendelsohn is so good in this show, I knew he would be, but damn.

jond76

Banned
Just finished. Loved it. A great cast made this worth watching along with a great backdrop.

Definitely a slow burn, but it's done right. Danny
was a giant fuck up. He pushed too hard. What a mess he created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom