• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodline |OT| Netflix - S1 up now - Chandler, Mendelsohn, Cardellini *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Finished this the other night. I feel like it would've been perfect as a one season "event" series, as I'm not sold on where they'll go next and how it will be sustainable, but I still loved it. Ben Mendelsohn plays a picture-perfect scumbag. All of the actors and dialogue were great, though.

Just finished binge-watching this. Strong show. Quick questions (not spoiler tagged):

Who is Mia Kirshner's character? She's credited as "Woman" on IMDB, and she's pretty clearly a figment of Danny's imagination. The instant reaction is to say she's an aged-up Sarah, but she doesn't really resemble young Sarah at all.

So I'm wondering if she's the mother of Danny's kid? And something bad happened to her which will be covered in season 2?

TripOpt55

Just finished binge-watching this. Strong show. Quick questions (not spoiler tagged):

Who is Mia Kirshner's character? She's credited as "Woman" on IMDB, and she's pretty clearly a figment of Danny's imagination. The instant reaction is to say she's an aged-up Sarah, but she doesn't really resemble young Sarah at all.

So I'm wondering if she's the mother of Danny's kid? And something bad happened to her which will be covered in season 2?

I thought she was definitely supposed to be an aged up Sarah. Other than all the context pointing in that direction, she had the same seahorse necklace if I remember correctly.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Rewatching it now that my mom said she wants to watch it. Almost like it more the second time around. It's a really great show and it's to great / heartbreaking to watch Danny and his siblings make decisions that ultimately lead to Danny's death and the different times that it almost didn't have to happen that way.

I started watching this a couple weeks ago and finally finished today. Wasn't really sure what to expect but was highly interested because of the cast and quickly fell in love with it after the first few episodes. Danny was such a love/hate character. One moment you're sympathizing with him, the next you just wish he'd disappear. Just seeing how this already screwed up family just continues to fall apart each episode and eventually reaching a breaking point kept me hooked.

I think Part 11 when Danny
takes Jane out on the boat and John thinks he's going to do the same thing like with Sarah
was the highlight for me. Just seeing John break and you knew that finally he was going to take things into is own hands. I thought the buildup was great.

I'm interested in seeing just how things will fall apart again. Everyone seems to be back to "normal" but I wonder how
Danny's son
will affect everyone. Such a great show.

BokehKing

Banned
My girl got me to start watching it, she was nice enough to rematch episodes with me

Let me say, those first 3 episodes were kind of really boring to me

But holy crap, Danny is the epitome of scum bag, such a great show. Just finished last night. You know what I would love, but would probably never happen in season 2?

Something like Dexter Morgan and Harry Morgan, like John starts seeing Danny, just egging him on, taunting him, I can't picture the show with out Danny, dude always made me laugh because he was such a hot mess

With that said, will probably re-watch those first 3 episodes again now that I have a better appreciation for it.

THRILLH0

Banned
I'm I the only one who thinks Sissy Spacek is awful in this? I get that she's playing kind of a fractious character but I found her performance especially in the second half of the season pretty weak.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm I the only one who thinks Sissy Spacek is awful in this? I get that she's playing kind of a fractious character but I found her performance especially in the second half of the season pretty weak.

I don't think she's awful, but she's not very good. Her character was not very good anyways imo, but basically John tries to tell her something and she goes "JOHN STAHP"

Nintendad

It's 1 am and I just finished Episode 11. If I didn't work in 4 hours I would've watched the last 2 episodes. Holy shit this show is good.

MattyG

Banned
Just finished it.
It was fantastic, but I can't help but feel that it should've ended with either John sitting on the beach with the boat burning in the background or him being interrogated by the DEA agent and Meg's ex.

Also, this would've been a perfect one season show. I'm just not interested in the concept of a whole season of them running around trying to cover shit up and trying to bring Danny's son into the fold. Hopefully they can pull it off, but I'm worried about the second season.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just finished it.

Fantastic, critics weren't kidding when they called this the best Netflix show.

Just finished it.
It was fantastic, but I can't help but feel that it should've ended with either John sitting on the beach with the boat burning in the background or him being interrogated by the DEA agent and Meg's ex.

Also, this would've been a perfect one season show. I'm just not interested in the concept of a whole season of them running around trying to cover shit up and trying to bring Danny's son into the fold. Hopefully they can pull it off, but I'm worried about the second season.

Agreed, as the show was ending I was wondering what they could possibly do with another season.

Dalek

I'm up to episode 9. What a great show-I love the slow burn and appreciate that Netflix is confident enough to put a series like this out.

And Danny is such an asshole. Holding that shit over Meg's head and having that smug look on his face the entire time. Fuck him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Bloodline Season 2: Ben Mendelsohn Returning as Series Regular

Emmy nominee Ben Mendelsohn will be back as a full-fledged series regular for Bloodline‘s upcoming second season on Netflix, exec producer Glenn Kessler confirmed to TVLine Tuesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

“The DNA of the show is such that the past is always with us,” noted Kessler of the show’s flashback-heavy format. “We’re going to learn more about Danny’s effect on the family and more about his past, and also what his effects are in the present day.”

“There’s a very important story that we’re interested in telling that includes [Danny],” he added.

The decision to keep Danny around was made long before Mendelsohn emerged as the show’s breakout performer. “That was always part of the plan,” maintained Kessler. “When we first hired him, it was for more than the first season.”

Fuck yeah!

Frog-fu

Banned
I still think Bloodline would've worked better as an anthology series focusing on different fucked up families each season, but I enjoyed season 1 so much that I'm fine with a bit more of the same.

Netflix done right by me this year. HoC season 3 was a disappointment, but Bloodline, Daredevil and Wet Hot American Summer were all fantastic, and we've still got Narcos and Jessica Jones to look forward to.

I finishes this a few weeks ago.

I'm not one for dramas usually, but I really enjoyed this. I loved how my opinion if every character, even the dad, changed as the story and characters developed.

Just watched this, gonna suck having a season without Danny, he was the glue. Flashbacks and ghost visions aren't the same, for season 2 im pretty much just in it to see the Rayburns burn to the ground.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Am I the only one that saw strong parallels with the relationship of John and Danny, and the batman and the joker?

Looking past the obvious detective vs. criminal
angle, there are some major similarities. John stood for everything good related to the Rayburn family, and Danny was the offspring of everything bad about the Rayburn family. While John was protecting the whole island (as Robert put it), Danny had been shamed and mistreated by the Rayburn family for so long that he literally becomes an agent of chaos halfway through the season.

At a glance, Danny's criminal actions can be seen as careless activities that are driven by greed and selfishness. But in reality, every single move was part of a calculated equation to bring misery upon the Rayburn family. And in his death, he did just that by breaking John and placing the final piece needed to destroy the Rayburns in season 2. He even lets out audible laughs as John breaks and clobbers him with a branch. In that moment, Danny knew he had won, and he rejoiced in it.

dresi

Great show but there is something that bugs me.
Danny was dead when John sent the text message to Chelsea and made the call to Lowry. I mean the DEA did the autopsy so they must know how long he was dead and that their theory doesn't make much sense right?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Have just started watching this, I am really loving it. takes an age to get into, I just finished episode 6,

The Guy playing Danny is amazing, he makes you sympathise with him one moment then despise him the next, scenes with his father a so good,

at the moment I am on the fence to whether his is a black sheep due to what happened when younger, and deep down all he wants is to be let in/forgiven

or what's happened has messed him up so much he wants to self destruct.

or he really is evil and playing everyone.. the flash forwards keep me on my toes.

andycapps

Have just started watching this, I am really loving it. takes an age to get into, I just finished episode 6,

The Guy playing Danny is amazing, he makes you sympathise with him one moment then despise him the next, scenes with his father a so good,

at the moment I am on the fence to whether his is a black sheep due to what happened when younger, and deep down all he wants is to be let in/forgiven

or he really is evil and playing everyone.. the flash forwards keep me on my toes.

Not going to say anything. I'll totally agree though, it's a very slow burn. The mood and setting of the show had me hooked from the start, even if I didn't understand why I should care about anybody.

Flink

Great show but there is something that bugs me.
Danny was dead when John sent the text message to Chelsea and made the call to Lowry. I mean the DEA did the autopsy so they must know how long he was dead and that their theory doesn't make much sense right?

Didn't they put him in ice? Not sure if that would make a difference or not.

I wonder if that Beth chick who bailed Danny out of jail is the mother of his son.

Or, maybe it was an immigrant, as the son looked a bit mixed? And Danny was really torn up by that immigrant burning situation.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Spoiler
its all three
Mendelssohn really deserved to win the emmy for his role, he keeps you on your toes throughout, switching from being personable and funny to evil and menacing to vulnerable and broken while maintaining a believable character.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Episode 8 and holy crap, wow it's just taken off really really riveting..

Edit had to keep watching, just finished episode 10.
Wow really riveting

Corpsepyre

Banned
One of my favourite new shows. Just ended season one, and FUCK! Tragic, but highly captivating drama. Loved every minute of it. Ben deserves all the awards in the world.

Koozek

Whew. Just finished it and really loved it. The last few episodes were intense. Great cast. Glad Netflix is producing so many high-quality shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom