• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluepoint Games working on "highly-acclaimed franchise" remaster on current gen

Meneses

Uncharted makes sense to fill in the gap until 4 (if it comes out before it).

Gears is also a good bet.

Actually, Metal Gear Collection Re-remaster could also take advantage of V's hype, but I don't see them having enough time for that.

It's obviously
Shenmue

Yes, they have, but what does that have to do with anything? They're the best port developer in the industry, why on earth would a lack of original work mean they should "leave the development to someone else"? Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
Because I think remaking a game is much more different and challenging than porting a game to other platforms. For example, RE remake and DmC have not only better graphics than their predecessors but also different gameplay mechanics, story plot (for DmC), voice actors, level design, engine... It is just my honest opinion and I just don't know whether or not Bluepoint is capable of developing those game elements. If they did build a their own AAA game before, I would have no doubt and look forward to the new game. But the fact tjst Bluepoint has little experience with making AAA games really bugs me a bit. Again, opinion :)

catmario

If you remember Bluepoint's latest title(Titanfall for Xbox 360), Their new title will be the beast. Their Titanfall port was absolutely awesome product.

But like Tantalus's next gen title port, It's hard to guess what it is. :(

I hope this is Onimusha collection...

foxbeldin

Are the users posting how it's obviously Uncharted not reading the OP or am I missing something?

There are actually 2 parts of the announce giving 2 different possibulities.
-one says ps4 and Xbox one
-the other says on 'a' current gen console (no s)

I personnaly hope it's uncharted but i doubt the mistake is in the first version.

Because I think remaking a game is much more different and challenging than porting a game to other platforms. For example, RE remake and DmC have not only better graphics than their predecessors but also different gameplay mechanics, story plot (for DmC), voice actors, level design, engine... It is just my honest opinion and I just don't know whether or not Bluepoint is capable of developing those game elements. If they did build a their own AAA game before, I would have no doubt and look forward to the new game. But the fact tjst Bluepoint has little experience with making AAA games really bugs me a bit. Again, opinion :)

WTF.
1) DmC isn't a remake.
2) There's no evidence they're working on a remake.
3) Even if they were, it wouldn't be a AAA game. They're a small studio.
4) Who gives a crap so long as they deliver? Silicon Knights had plenty of "AAA experience" before they fucked up MGS The Twin Snakes.

I'm not sure why people are so certain it could be Uncharted, the listing speaks about remastering a franchise on current gen, it doesn't really lock itself to Uncharted seeing as that there are many highly acclaimed franchises that existed between the PS2 and PS3 that could fit this mold. It could be any game released on the PS2/Xbox/PSP/PS3/360 that was a part of a franchise and is need of a remaster. It could be a game from the Dragon Quest series, Onimusha, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, etc. The possibilities are endless. I think it's just convenient that it could possibly be Uncharted, but this project could have been in the works before the delay was announced.

I'm not sure why people are so certain it could be Uncharted, the listing speaks about remastering a franchise on current gen, it doesn't really lock itself to Uncharted seeing as that there are many highly acclaimed franchises that existed between the PS2 and PS3 that could fit this mold. It could be any game released on the PS2/Xbox/PSP/PS3/360 that was a part of a franchise and is need of a remaster. It could be a game from the Dragon Quest series, Onimusha, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, etc. The possibilities are endless. I think it's just convenient that it could possibly be Uncharted, but this project could have been in the works before the delay was announced.

Just because you think the possibilities are endless, doesn't mean they are. Of Bluepoint's six ports/remasters, four of them were for Sony, one was for Konami and one for EA/Respawn. It's not rocket science to guess that they'll continue working with Sony and in that case, Uncharted is the obvious answer and has been since long before the delay.

We can also completely rule out some publishers, like Square Enix. Even if they were willing to hire a western developer to port their Japanese games (which is extremely unlikely), they already own one of the best port developers around (Nixxes). They don't need Bluepoint.

Fargo_Dog

Banned
This feels like a key part:

– Learn and master a proprietary game engine effects pipeline

That probably means it is not Unreal, so you can cross out Mass Effect, BioShock or Gears.

Unless Mass Effect was being rebuilt in Frostbite. Is EA crazy enough to do that?

farisr

As much as I want it to be a MGS collection with MGS4, as that would qualify for the proprietary engine part,. There simply isn't enough time since MGS V is releasing September, and the collection would need to be on both Xbone and ps4 (yes I know porting between the two doesn't take that long anymore, but it still requires fine tuning etc)

Whereas, Uncharted trilogy remaster, can be released in November or December, now that Uncharted 4 has been delayed into spring 2016, and this would only release on the ps4.

Luke_Wal

Unless Mass Effect was being rebuilt in Frostbite. Is EA crazy enough to do that?

I think if they were, it would take Bluepoint longer than 6 months to do it. From what I understand, Frostbite is very hard to learn to develop for, and is part of why so many of EA's games are taking so long. DICE essentially has to train all of their studios on it; doesn't seem worth it for a single contract job.

Would Bamco outsource something like Dark Souls 1? Or do you think they have "moved on" since Dark Souls 2 is about to come out on current gen consoles?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I doubt its Uncharted because I believe ND would handle that themselves like they did with TLOU.

Yeah, it's likely Uncharted. Bluepoint games is already working on a handheld -> PS4 port (probably Uncharted: Golden Abyss).

It makes a lot of sense.

Devil

This feels like a key part:

– Learn and master a proprietary game engine effects pipeline

That probably means it is not Unreal, so you can cross out Mass Effect, BioShock or Gears.

That lists hurts really bad. Probably the few series I would blindly buy remasters of no matter if I'd even have the time to play it.

Nictel

I don't believe it is a modern game. If you read the job description some things stand out:

Responsibilities

-- Create high-quality current generation character models from lower-resolution geometry

-- Model features which were once represented in texture as geometry

-- Maintain original character functionality and animation ability

Also one of the requirements is "Understanding of character skeleton and skinning techniques is a plus".
My guess is that it is an older game using older techniques, so no Uncharted or Mass Effect.
If the description did not mention the Xbox One I would have said Crash Bandicoot.

Ghazi

I don't believe it is a modern game. If you read the job description some thing stand out:

Responsibilities

-- Create high-quality current generation character models from lower-resolution geometry

Also one of the requirements is "Understanding of character skeleton and skinning techniques is a plus".
My guess is that it is an older game using older techniques, so no Uncharted or Mass Effect.
If the description did not mention the Xbox One I would have said Crash Bandicoot.
It could still be Crash for PS4, the description says "a console." I think it could likely be so, too. Maybe Ratchet and Clank?

sn00zer

I don't believe it is a modern game. If you read the job description some things stand out:

Responsibilities

Yeah thats definitely a remake and not a remaster

Just because you think the possibilities are endless, doesn't mean they are. Of Bluepoint's six ports/remasters, four of them were for Sony, one was for Konami and one for EA/Respawn. It's not rocket science to guess that they'll continue working with Sony and in that case, Uncharted is the obvious answer and has been since long before the delay.

We can also completely rule out some publishers, like Square Enix. Even if they were willing to hire a western developer to port their Japanese games (which is extremely unlikely), they already own one of the best port developers around (Nixxes). They don't need Bluepoint.

I couldn't help but read this in Vizzini's voice (Princess Bride) and therefore feel the person you quoted's logic is "Inconceivable"!

Edit: Turning texture into geometry? Character modeling? Definitely MGS.

Shauni

Responsibilities

Crash Bandicoot could still be on Xbox One, it's no longer owned by Sony.

Ushay

Remastered Mass Effect would be sooo good. 1080p 60f with remastered textures and updated visuals,

I'm ready. We all know it's coming.

Edit I just thought of something that would be incredible with updated geometry, but retain all the existing dialogue etc ... MORROWIND!

Zia

Wasting Bluepoint on Crash Fucking Bandicoot would be like the Criterion Collection releasing an Adam Sandler box set.

GeoramA

Hope it's a franchise that ran like crap on last gen consoles, like Fallout or Elder Scrolls. My experience with New Vegas and Skyrim on PS3 still revolts me.

Tigress

Fallout 3 and New Vegas. And since I'm going way out guesses, I'll add in the original Fallouts too! The whole fallout collection.

Oh wait, that's what I would want it to be, not what I think it might be.

Hope it's a franchise that ran like crap on last gen consoles, like Fallout or Elder Scrolls. My experience with New Vegas and Skyrim on PS3 still revolts me.

Fallout New Vegas so far seems to do better on 360 than it did on PS3 (I'm kinda banking that this time I'll be able to actually finish it as PS3 was the worst platform for it). Not that I've gotten far but it certainly loads a helluva lot faster and it really does feel like the draw distance even is significantly better.

Its funny how every game that ended its franchise at number 3, are also the bad games from a franchise that people want to forget. See Dead Space 3, Lost Planet 3.

Fallout 3 wants a word with you (sure, some people, including me, will argue Vegas was better. But I'm pretty sure Tactics or Brotherhood or one of those would be the one that people universelly said was the worst <- can't remember which but it was one of the last old style ones. Not to mention plenty of people absolutely loved 3).

Top Bottom