• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bob and new character Master Raven announced for Tekken 7

NEO0MJ

Or she's younger and and better than the other ravens.

Maybe the raven we played as before is like a jobber raven

This is Tekken, every female master is over 40 but young looking because of reasons.
I could be wrong, though. Guess we'll have to wait for more story details.

They've done that in the past too. Christie took over for Eddy and Panda shared space with Kuma. Although in those cases, the old characters weren't dumped from the game (though Eddy was heavily sidelined and pretty much a secret character until Tekken 6).

No doubt about it, but this is like the fourth time they've done it in 7.

Manbig

Ugh I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw Bob. I barely got over the whole Lucky Chloe and Gigas debacle, but now this fucking albatross makes another appearance. Either he's gonna be a cheap asshole again that people will only use because he's a cheap asshole and not because he's an interesting character, or they will nerf his ass into the ground and he will be a waste of a character slot.

I can't fucking believe they saved this shit for EVO...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not a big fan of this idea of just giving a new character the moveset of a previous character instead of developing a new one from scratch. They've done it a lot in this game.

Tekken has always done it.

Jun Asuka

Baek Hwroang

Kazuya Jin

P Jack Jack ect

I think Harada is very serious about only having one character per style...althoug i think he might make an exception for Jun perhaps?

I'm a newb to Tekken, so I gotta ask: How the hell is this fat dude so fast?

They both look pretty fun btw.

Bob was not always super fat. He actually gained all that weight just to prove that fat could add more power to strikes without slowing you down. In TTT2, there's even his original skinny self you could play as

CSX

I think Harada is very serious about only having one character per style...althoug i think he might make an exception for Jun perhaps?

With that theory jun might be added just cuz her movelist from tag 2 is completely different from her past self which is now basically Asuka.

Dereck

TPGhXkt.gif

Inuhanyou

With that theory jun might be added just cuz her movelist from tag 2 is completely different from her past self which is now basically Asuka.

Well she would have to show up story wise, its basic common sense considering what is going on. I think she will be the last one revealed tho.

Inuhanyou

At this rate, the "smaller roster" promise is about to be thrown out the window lol

eh, 34+ is still good number without going overboard like T6 and TTT2. I say the final roster lands somewhere in between 34 to 38, no more no less. My guess is 35 or 36.

NEO0MJ

Tekken has always done it.

Oh I know, but I feel they're overdoing it this time. It's so disappointing considering that I feel like she and Gigas could have added great new ninja and berserker movesets.

And Jack's thing is to be replaced by a newer model each game. And besides Tekken 3 his design has been rather consistent. Wish they stuck with the more mechanical Gun.

Village

Well she would have to show up story wise, its basic common sense considering what is going on. I think she will be the last one revealed tho.

Not really.

I'm going to be mr sour puss, but I feel like the reason we don't see jun anymore because they were going to do a story thing but gave up on it completely . Like the story could play out with jun and just be fine...

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
No doubt about it, but this is like the fourth time they've done it in 7.

Yeah, part of the reason I wasn't interested in seeing any more new characters. If they're just going to grind up an old character and pour their remains into in a new mold, I'd rather they just use the old character. Makes me feel bad for those whose favorites were repurposed into something no longer appealing to them. I like new characters, but not at the cost of oldies.

I'm making an exception for Master Raven though, as she represents some things that the game was seriously lacking in, and frankly, I kind of like her. I'll be even happier if they include Snipes Raven as well though.

Bob was not always super fat. He actually gained all that weight just to prove that fat could add more power to strikes without slowing you down. In TTT2, there's even his original skinny self you could play as

I love that Slim Bob is so down on himself too. He's much more confident and at ease when he weighs a ton.

Playsage

It isn't, though. She is not particularly needed to resolve the Mishima conflict, nor are her anti-Devil abilities, especially when there's already someone who has them.

Neonep

I dig this Raven a lot. T7 is probably going to be the best fighting game this generation and with Evo Japan happening, it will most certainly be on the main stage there. Any word on when Evo Japan will take place?

I'm hoping they do right by Raven and optimize his/her movelist. If those fools at Namco name a character after me they should at least have the courtesy of making him/her competitive.

jwhit28

Has there been a clear answer on crossplay yet? I haven't played Tekken since 5 but I'd love to hop back in if the PC version is good.

NEO0MJ

Makes me feel bad for those whose favorites were repurposed into something no longer appealing to them. I like new characters, but not at the cost of oldies.

I love that Slim Bob is so down on himself too. He's much more confident and at ease when he weighs a ton.

A friend of mine loves playing as Raven, I feel this will disappoint him.

And yeah, Slim Bob is pretty funny. Aside from his side step isn't he overall a weaker character than regular Bob?

Has there been a clear answer on crossplay yet? I haven't played Tekken since 5 but I'd love to hop back in if the PC version is good.

Only that they wish to implement it. Not sure if they can convince the two parties, though.

Inuhanyou

Yeah, cause i guess he proved his own theory that he was obsessed over correct, he's much happier heh. But i think Julia may prefer Slimbob

Not really.

I'm going to be mr sour puss, but I feel like the reason we don't see jun anymore because they were going to do a story thing but gave up on it completely . Like the story could play out with jun and just be fine...

Harada has already disproved that and has stated over and over that she is specifically MIA for a reason.

With the Mishima fight ending soon, Jun is critical to both Kazuya and Jin's character development i feel.

It isn't, though. She is not particularly needed to resolve the Mishima conflict, nor are her anti-Devil abilities, especially when there's already someone who has them.

Asuka is irrelevant to anyone in the story though outside of her Lili rivalry. Asuka isn't going to be the one to tell Jin to stop pursuing the other members of Mishima, or the one to snap Kazuya out of his Devil obsessed evil side. I think it will be Jun in combination with Xiao to stop Jin, and Jun in combination with Kazumi to stop Kazuya. ANd maybe Kazuya Kazumi and Akuma combo to stop Heihachi

CSX

And yeah, Slim Bob is pretty funny. Aside from his side step isn't he overall a weaker character than regular Bob?

Yes. All clone characters that were added as free dlc characters in Tag 2 like Slim Bob, Miharu, P Jack, etc are weaker than their original counterparts. This was done so that Namco didn't have to worry about balancing them with the core roster.

However clone characters allowed you to basically played two characters with near identical movesets in a tag team which is easier to play than two characters with completely different moves and styles.

Texas's best tekken player is known for playing double bobs back in Tag 2 ;)

Hes also one of the reasons why the tekken community hated Bob in T6 and Tag 2. EVO 2011 Grand Finals never forget

jwhit28

That's a shame. I might just get it for PS4 anyway since Tekken is controller friendly. With each trailer and character reveal I've grown more interested.

Wonder if they'll keep bob top tier like before?

How's the game balance wise this time? Last I heard it's not as broke as previous one, but nothing concrete.

Village

Harada has already disproved that and has stated over and over that she is specifically MIA for a reason.

With the Mishima fight ending soon, Jun is critical to both Kazuya and Jin's character development i feel.

I feel like that's the thing you say when you know some people want the character, but you abandoned that characters arc a while ago. And you kind of don't know what to do with the character

I don't think she's needed for kazuya's or jins development. Particularly jin's considering he has Xiou Yu

Creaking

At the key moment in the story, when Kazuya and Jin are lifting each other by their respective throats, she will return with the takeout that she left to get 6 years before.

Did Christie not count?

I guess you could count her as black (though I only ever see her portrayed in cosplay [and the live action film] by white people), but she's not particularly dark skinned.

I feel like Japan has a tendency to avoid making women "too" dark skinned in character designs for whatever reason. Much more than men.

Man, Tekken 7 looks good. Maybe I'll finally overcome my crippling fear of 3D fighters.

Please support 3D fighters. They are an endangered species. And they're so smooth.

Playsage

Yeah, cause i guess he proved his own theory that he was obsessed over correct, he's much happier heh. But i think Julia may prefer Slimbob

Asuka is irrelevant to anyone in the story though outside of her Lili rivalry. Asuka isn't going to be the one to tell Jin to stop pursuing the other members of Mishima, or the one to snap Kazuya out of his Devil obsessed evil side. I think it will be Jun in combination with Xiao to stop Jin, and Jun in combination with Kazumi to stop Kazuya. ANd maybe Kazuya Kazumi and Akuma combo to stop Heihachi
Kazuya is straight up an evil dude since T4, Devil or not, and he can't be saved.
he could also probably die in this game too
. Defeating the Devil Gene? It seems Claudio's powers are here for the job. Kazumi isn't confirmed to appear during the current events. We don't know what is Jin's role in the T7 storyline and, as of T4, his main objective is getting rid of the Devil Gene instead of actively trying to murder Kazuya and Heihachi.
Also, In T6, Asuka was intentioned in confronting Jin, but because she got a joke ending (like 3/4 of the cast did) she is now irrelevant according to you :/

You are going full head canon here

Inuhanyou

Kazuya is straight up an evil dude since T4, Devil or not, and he can't be saved.
he could also probably die in this game too
. Defeating the Devil Gene? It seems Claudio's powers are here for the job. Kazumi isn't confirmed to appear during the current events. We don't what is Jin's rile in the T7 storyline and, as of T4, his main objective is getting rid of the Devil Gene instead of actively trying to murder Kazuya and Heihachi.

Considering how this game is setting up how Kazuya fell into hatred because his mom died at Heihachi's hand in combination with just being abused by Heihachi over and over, its obviously not going to be as open and shut a case as you seem to think.

And Jin wants to get rid of the Devil gene entirely, that means killing off the rest of his family who want to, or possess it as well, that ends with killing himself, which will obviously have to be shaken out of him.

Azazel was just a detour

bunkitz

"New character," yeah. New character whose named simply has a title before her name and has similar, if not the same moves as Raven. Whew.

So far, all the new characters for Tekken 7 I've seen have similar moves to other characters. It's pretty disappointing.

ZeroX03

Banned
So far, all the new characters for Tekken 7 I've seen have similar moves to other characters. It's pretty disappointing.

So you've only seen two of the new characters in Tekken 7 then? Kazumi, Claudio, Shaheen, Katarina and Lucky Chloe are all unique.

Creaking

"New character," yeah. New character whose named simply has a title before her name and has similar, if not the same moves as Raven. Whew.

There's about 6 that are legitimately new. Katarina, Shaheen, Claudio, Lucky ...her, Kazumi and Akuma (if you count 3D Tekken Akuma as new). Gigas and Josie share a lot with Marduk and Bruce respectively. Master Raven seems straight out of cloneville + some Tekken 7 updates. Unfortunately, that's the last 3 new characters (plus Akuma) being clones or clone-lites. That's also why I'm not so interested in seeing any more "brand new" characters. They probably don't have the time or budget to invent entirely new movesets for the game at this point, and are just repurposing old characters to make the crowds excited.

Like, "Hey, I didn't like that character before, but now I can add them to my waifu collection!" while the old fans are like, "Wait, what about... oh... okay."

Bob is on some next level savage shit. I said holy shit. Multiple times. That's one bad motherfucker. Wife looking at me strange, cause I said "Oh, Bob.", like it was out of the ordinary or something.

The fact that they followed that with that weak-ass Raven reveal makes me feel bad for the new character.

IKizzLE

This Tekken has more unique new characters than any other Tekken in the past decade.

Creaking

This Tekken has more unique new characters than any other Tekken in the past decade.

Not... really. Tekken Tag 2 holds that crown. It had the most clones and clone-lites, yeah, but it also had every other character sans Gon, totaling in the most unique characters in the series by sheer bulk. Even with the 6 genuine newcomers, Tekken 7 falls short of that title. I think Tekken 6 might stand above 7 too.

yeah some of the new outfits a are cool, Hwoarang' is not one of them

like why does he have a eyepatch?

He thinks it makes him look tuff.

Top Bottom