• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bob and new character Master Raven announced for Tekken 7

mao2

Bob looks OK I guess, though I prefer his default costume in Tekken 6. Hmm... I wonder if we can customize Master Raven to look like Taki from Soulcalibur.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Bob looks OK I guess, though I prefer his default costume in Tekken 6. Hmm... I wonder if we can customize Master Raven to look like Taki from Soulcalibur.

That will probably return through customization. Many other characters have been fitted with their Tekken 6 defaults (and alts) the same way.

Paracelsus

It's funny how some of the absolute best looking female black characters (Ravenko and Sheva) were designed by the Japanese.

Also she totally screams "Tekken Gear Rising" but after Death by Degrees spectacular bomba I wonder. Maybe they should do it as replacement for Tekken Force mode.

bunkitz

So you've only seen two of the new characters in Tekken 7 then? Kazumi, Claudio, Shaheen, Katarina and Lucky Chloe are all unique.

There's about 6 that are legitimately new. Katarina, Shaheen, Claudio, Lucky ...her, Kazumi and Akuma (if you count 3D Tekken Akuma as new). Gigas and Josie share a lot with Marduk and Bruce respectively. Master Raven seems straight out of cloneville + some Tekken 7 updates. Unfortunately, that's the last 3 new characters (plus Akuma) being clones or clone-lites. That's also why I'm not so interested in seeing any more "brand new" characters. They probably don't have the time or budget to invent entirely new movesets for the game at this point, and are just repurposing old characters to make the crowds excited.

Like, "Hey, I didn't like that character before, but now I can add them to my waifu collection!" while the old fans are like, "Wait, what about... oh... okay."

This Tekken has more unique new characters than any other Tekken in the past decade.

I don't know, it's just that when I saw gameplay (I think it was their reveal trailers?) of some of the new characters, their moves looked very familiar. It's not like Master Raven whose moves really are like Raven's, but there was just something about them that looked very familiar to me, which made me think that they're similar to other characters. I'm probably wrong, yeah, but that's just how it looks to me.

Creaking

I don't know, it's just that when I saw gameplay (I think it was their reveal trailers?) of some of the new characters, their moves looked very familiar. It's not like Master Raven whose moves really are like Raven's, but there was just something about them that looked very familiar to me, which made me think that they're similar to other characters. I'm probably wrong, yeah, but that's just how it looks to me.

Only so many ways you can punch someone.

shrug.gif~c200

Someone I swear to God help me learn Tekken when this comes out. I swear to God I need this game so fucking bad (like, Michael Jackson bad, not bad bad). Holy shit.

Get involved with the community. Learning the notation helps too. Got a platform in mind?

And doesn't have straight hair.

Yeah. The dread + plaits combo is a nice touch.

As for raven, meh. As someone who actually played raven, his design was too close to blade and looked silly, even for Tekken standards. Have no problem saying goodbye to him but keeping his moveset.

sasuke_91

Someone I swear to God help me learn Tekken when this comes out. I swear to God I need this game so fucking bad (like, Michael Jackson bad, not bad bad). Holy shit.

Just visit the Tekken OT. We have a lot of very helpful players from all regions.

I like Master Raven simply for the reason that she's a black female in Tekken. Her teleport looks really cool.
Bob... not so much. I always hated him and Lars the most out of Tekken's roster (and Bob/Lars tag team is a nightmare to me in TTT2). I guess it's cool for people who like playing him though.

dabig2

I guess you could count her as black (though I only ever see her portrayed in cosplay [and the live action film] by white people), but she's not particularly dark skinned.

I feel like Japan has a tendency to avoid making women "too" dark skinned in character designs for whatever reason. Much more than men.

Yeah, Tekken 4 Christie was definitely what I would call "blackish". Carribean type brown-skinned girl with some ethnic features, until the whitening started happening over the next few games.

prmOGko.jpg

Hopefully Master Raven escapes the cycle.

Creaking

Yeah, Tekken 4 Christie was definitely what I would call "blackish". Carribean type brown-skinned girl with some ethnic features, until the whitening started happening over the next few games.

prmOGko.jpg

Hopefully Master Raven escapes the cycle.

I will say that she looked darker in Tekken Tag 2, but then in Tekken Revolution they lightened her up and gave her big waifu eyes

Creaking

2 characters and a costume design that haven't been in any previous Tekken games.

My point still stands. I loved ravens moveset, couldn't care less about the character.

Those are just a handful of examples (and I'm counting Alisa too). I didn't want to flood the page. Point is, Tekken 7 has very few standards when it comes to character design. Anyway, Raven would've gotten a new default.

Pachimari

Not... really. Tekken Tag 2 holds that crown. It had the most clones and clone-lites, yeah, but it also had every other character sans Gon, totaling in the most unique characters in the series by sheer bulk. Even with the 6 genuine newcomers, Tekken 7 falls short of that title. I think Tekken 6 might stand above 7 too.

He thinks it makes him look tuff.
But he is talking about unique new characters added to the series. Tag 2 had none. Tekken 6 had how many? 4? I can't remember. Bob, Miguel, Zafina and Leo.

Tekken 7 have Kazumi, Claudio, Katarina and Lucky Chloe. That's 4 too.

finally, Tekken 7's first black character

Um.....Bruce, Eddy, Christie, Raven didn't count? I know they were Brazilian, but still close enough. Even Craig Murduk looked black and even had a dreads customization available if I remember correctly.

I actually think female Raven looks amazing. Love the design.

Creaking

But he is talking about unique new characters added to the series. Tag 2 had none. Tekken 6 had how many? 4? I can't remember. Bob, Miguel, Zafina and Leo.

Tekken 7 have Kazumi, Claudio, Katarina and Lucky Chloe. That's 4 too.

6 also had Lars and Alisa. 7 Also has Shaheen and Akuma, if you want to count him.

Um.....Bruce, Eddy, Christie, Raven didn't count? I know they were Brazilian, but still close enough. Even Craig Murduk looked black and even had a dreads customization available if I remember correctly.

I actually think female Raven looks amazing. Love the design.

Tekken 7 specifically

Staf

She looks cool. Haven't played Tekken since 4 in early 2000s. No idea if fighting games is for me anymore but will probably test it on Tekken.

Creaking

Yes! So happy for Bob! And he looks so good!

I think the Tekken team handles Bob's designs really well. They don't fall into that stupid trap of having his belly stick out or making him a slob (unlike, say, two similarly sized characters from a certain rival fighting game series). He has form-fitting outfits and carries himself with a lot of self-respect. People often see Bob as a "fat American" stereotype, but the Tekken team does a good job of avoiding making it such an ugly thing. Maybe folks think his moves look ridiculous or are annoyed at how good he is, but I think the hate is way overblown and I'm glad they didn't drop him.

I think the Tekken team handles Bob's designs really well. They don't fall into that stupid trap of having his belly stick out or making him a slob (unlike, say, two similarly sized characters from a certain rival fighting game series). He has form-fitting outfits and carries himself with a lot of self-respect. People often see Bob as a "fat American" stereotype, but the Tekken team does a good job of avoiding making it such an ugly thing. Maybe folks think his moves look ridiculous or are annoyed at how good he is, but I think the hate is way overblown and I'm glad they didn't drop him.

Totally agreed. I really like how Bob is confident about his body. His obesity is not a dumb joke like in other such characters.

I just hope they tone him down some, so i don't have to hate his guts anymore.

Paul Phoenix is more of a stereotypical American than Bob.
She's Raven's boss according to Harada. Probably the one he's always talking to whenever he touches his earpiece.
In other words, she was the one who ordered the hit on Heihachi in Tekken 5.

If she's in the story mode she's automatically on Kazumi's side.

ZeroX03

Banned
That's cool. But I was referring to the use of the word master vs. mistress.

Master can be used in gender neutral contexts. "Master" appears to be a rank or title in some kind of clandestine organization in the context of Ravens. Also a martial arts master could be the context. Either/both way/s it makes sense.

Cuddler

Bob needs soft body physics from DOA extreme.
Would be cool, but would be even better if Team Ninja would add a chubby character to the Dead or Alive franchise, it could add 1k/3k to their Japanese sales!
I completely agree with you, he's a well designed character, especially compared to Rufus and Birdie. I think in part he's obviously unrealistic (at the end of the day this is a videogame with a little dinosaur, a devil, an angel, a bear, etc), but we are in 2016 and there are plenty of overweight people that prove that they can dance or fight even if they are overweight (even if not as good as Bob obviously, he can basically fly, lol). Design wise (as in the actual model) the only thing that I think could be better is that there is no division between his chest and his belly, but it's something really not that important, way more important instead would be to have his weight to not be an important part of his story, it was kind of ridiculous in the past. But I'm not complaining, I'm really happy that he's in Tekken 7 and he's not being replaced with Slim Bob.

Mista Koo

They stole my idea for a black kunoichi with afro-textured hair in a fighting game :(
Although her design is too Metal Gear Rising for Tekken (or I guess my taste in Tekken characters).

Current roster:

[...]

• 31 characters
  • Of which 9 are new
Huh, my 2 years old roster of 10 new characters isn't far off. So far I only got 4 returning characters wrong.

I really like Tekken's new character trailers. No teasing, just straight into it. That voice that reads out the character names is great.

Raven looks cool. Bob can just fuck off though.

Yeah, I hate his ass.

Cool that we got another black woman this time, but I just don't like her outfit in this. She feels out of place compared to the rest of the cast. Hopefully her P2 outfit is street clothes or a ninja outfit like Raven's.

Top Bottom