• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Book News: Brandon Sanderson announces release dates of 2 Mistborn Novels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

mistborn-shadows-of-self-bands-of-mourning.jpg

Tor Books is eye-wideningly excited to announce that TWO new Mistborn novels by Brandon Sanderson will be released in late 2015!

The novels will continue Wax and Wayne’s adventures in the world of Mistborn, a trilogy begun by 2011’s The Alloy of Law, which was itself a short story that just kept growing and growing until, well, until it grew into a series of novels!

Sanderson was already hard at work on the follow-up novel to Alloy of Law, when something unexpected happened. Tor Books editor Moshe Feder explains:

If there’s one thing we’ve learned in ten years of working with Brandon, it’s that he almost always delivers more than we’ve asked for and that he loves to surprise us.

We were awaiting the arrival of the previously-announced sequel to The Alloy of Law called Shadows of Self when he did it again, presenting us with not just one newborn novel, but twins! The surprise package was the third Wax & Wayne adventure, Bands of Mourning. The resulting atmosphere around the office was a heady combination of Christmas morning and the first night of Chanukah.

Shadows of Self, the second book in the Wax and Wayne Mistborn trilogy, is currently scheduled to arrive on shelves and ereaders in October 2015, followed by Bands of Mourning in January. Tor Books and Tor.com will announce precise release dates as soon as we have them!

I just started the original Mistborn trilogy, but this comes highly recommended for all fantasy fans. I'm not far into it and I'm already enjoying it.

I highly recommend picking up The Final Empire if you want to dig into it.

51E%2B7V-PDyL.jpg

The kindle edition of the original trilogy set is currently only $5.75 if you read on Kindle.

LINK

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I still need to finish way of kings and then move onto the mistborn trilogy! I haven't seen it that cheap on the Kobo yet.

Kaladin

That's why you're enjoying it.

I'm a big fan of everything else I've read of his (both Stormlight books included) and I see no reason why I won't continue to enjoy Mistborn.

He's quickly become my favorite modern fantasy author over the past couple of years.

zsswimmer

I have the Mistborn triology sitting in my closet collecting dust, haven't even opened it out of the plastic wrap. Is it pretty traditional fantasy stuff?

I just bought the mistborn trilogy on my kindle for $5 last night. Seemed like a good price to see why I keep hearing about Sanderson from folks I know.

This dude is like a book writing machine

Edit: Apparently it sucks based on replies in here. Dang.
Still probably better than the StarWars book I just finished which was rancid.
'A New Dawn' for those curious...

Mumei

I enjoyed the trilogy, but Alloy of Law was boring and I have no interest in revisiting the series at this point.

Kaladin

If you're wondering, he's apparently a quarter of the way into pre-writing Stormlight Archives book 3. He's planned to release it sometime in 2016.

How is Alloy of Law?

I enjoyed the first trilogy (but don't remember much). This is the problem with fantasy novels. Have to reread the previous books before the new one comes out.

Cyan

Banned
That's why you're enjoying it.

Bahahaha. Yeah, the trilogy as a whole doesn't really live up to the impressive beginning. And the follow-up, Alloy of Law, is imo the worst thing Sanderson's written. Hugely disappointing. I'm sure Tor is happy to have two more since he sells so well, but these might be his first novels that I'm just going to straight-up not even bother looking at.

RobotVM

I read the trilogy and The Law of Alloy. I though The Law of Alloy was great. It reads like a steampunk fantasy Sherlock Homes.

Cyan

Banned
When I first saw the headline, I expected the second to be a novella as novellas are big in fantasy right now.....nope, full volume.
For him, this is a novella.

i've never read the books but are the character's names really "Wax" and "Wayne?"
Yes. :/

I have the Mistborn triology sitting in my closet collecting dust, haven't even opened it out of the plastic wrap. Is it pretty traditional fantasy stuff?
Hmm. Yes and no. He falls into some of the standard tropes, but one of the things he likes to do is choose a standard fantasy trope and then find a way to invert or subvert it. The Mistborn trilogy might be the best examples of this.

Kaladin

A little more on the two Mistborn books:

The last half of the year 2014 was dedicated to Shadows of Self, the new Mistborn novel. And I have a confession to make.

I also wrote the sequel.

Now, before you start wagging your finger at me for being a robot, there was a really good reason I did what I did. You see, I was having real trouble getting back into Shadows of Self. I had written the first third of it in 2012 between revisions of A Memory of Light. (I was feeling Wheel of Time overload.) However, it can be very hard for me to get back into a book or series after a long time away from it.

So, jumping into Shadows of Self was slow going, and I found it much easier to go write the sequel to refresh myself on the world and characters. That done, I was able to move back to Shadows of Self and finish it up.

So a week or two back, I turned in two new Wax and Wayne Mistborn novels. They’re titled Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning, and Tor decided to publish them in quick succession: the first in October 2015, the second in January 2016. So, if you have read the original trilogy but haven’t tried The Alloy of Law yet, you might want to give it a look! From the beginning, I’ve planned Mistborn to be a continuum series, showing off Allomancy in different time periods. I think you’ll find the Wax and Wayne books to be fun, quick reads—and they introduce some very, very big things coming in the Mistborn world.

There will be one more Wax and Wayne (early 1900s-era) Mistborn book. Back after I finished The Alloy of Law, I sat down and plotted out a trilogy with the same characters. The Alloy of Law was more of a happy, improvised accident. The follow-up trilogy is meant to be more intentional. So in the end, we’ll have four total. (The final one is tentatively called The Lost Metal.) From there, I might jump to the second “big” trilogy, which is 1980s tech. Or I might dally a little more in something 1940s-era instead. We’ll see.

Amusingly, doing these two Mistborn books together totaled only about half as much writing as a Stormlight book. Perhaps you can see why it takes even me quite a long time to finish Stormlight novels. (And it’s why you might want to lay off Pat Rothfuss a little. I believe The Wise Man’s Fear was even longer than Words of Radiance.)

I must say, I'm intrigued by a 1980's style Mistborn world.

More:
http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-december-2014/

Teriyaki

Mistborn trilogy is a lot like the Matrix trilogy in terms of story quality to me. Alloy of Law is actually pretty solid once you get past the names.

wamberz1

In the middle of Way of Kings, pretty good so far. After finishing Radiance I might look into this.

If you're wondering, he's apparently a quarter of the way into pre-writing Stormlight Archives book 3. He's planned to release it sometime in 2016.

Didn't he release Radiance in 2014? that's ridiculous lol.

Kaladin

In the middle of Way of Kings, pretty good so far. After finishing Radiance I might look into this.

Didn't he release Radiance in 2014? that's ridiculous lol.

Stormlight Archives is a ten novel series with plans to release one every two years.

Finished the trilogy and Alloy Of Law just a few days ago. The first three books are somewhat standard fantasy fare, but I enjoyed AoL more due to its setting. I don't read much fantasy, so a 1900's turn of the century western that has magic and Gods was more interesting to me than the first three novels. That setting would work for a game much better as well. If only Bioshock Infinite were moddable...

Wiktor

Nice. I liked the original trilogy, but Sanderson has hugely improved since then. Alloy of Law was a lot better written and it will be fun to see him returning that setting with all the new skills he learned

Ezalc

Isn't this the guy that finished the Wheel of Time series? How did the books he worked on turn out? I've heard good things about this series but if this guy messed up the ending or whatever then is it even worth reading?

the thing about sanderson though, if yuo've read his books, is that he takes very great care to really write out all the things that are happening. if you like to use your imagination a little, then you might not like his books.

for example, his mistborn writing can sometime be like this

"she uses Iron, which of course pulls on things, manages to pull the iron rod and defends herself. now her enemy, using Steel, pushes on the rod, which flew twistedly through the air and hit her in the face, and of course she's human, her nose gets broken and red blood flew out"

Wiktor

Isn't this the guy that finished the Wheel of Time series? How did the books he worked on turn out? I've heard good things about this series but if this guy messed up the ending or whatever then is it even worth reading?
Much better than the last few books Jordan wrote at least. They're worthy ending to the series.

Pau

Wax and Wayne are his worst characters. So boring. Shame, because I like the Mistborn magic system.

VanWinkle

Awesome. What I've read of the first book so far is fantastic. My brother, who has similar literary tastes to me, thought the books were awesome.

Also love Sanderson in general. Way of Kings and Word of Radiance are my two favorites books I've ever read.

I read the trilogy and enjoyed it but skipped Alloy of Law when I read that it didn't have an immediate tie in. Also the trilogy seemed pretty complete.

Kite

hah what a coincidence, I just started listening to the the first book's audio book yesterday. I'm at the point where the female mc is learning to use the six alloys and just met a creature that is straight nightmare fuel. The magic system is pretty interesting so far.

Mike M

Nick N
I've only read the Stormlight Archive books. They're... Serviceable. I was a little disappointed to find that after all the raving I heard about his world building that it was essentially just tidal zone life on land, but I like ocean life a lot so I still dealt with it. The magic system didn't seem any great shakes, and I was outright put off by the intolerably stupid descriptions of one nationality that grew their eyebrow hair out so long that they combed it over their ears (eeeeewwwww...) and how someone of mixed heritage of different colors of hair had calico patchwork hair color. Eyebrows and genetics don't work that way, god damn it. It wouldn't have bothered me if they weren't explicitly human, but there you have it.

I mostly just dig Brandon for the Writing Excuses podcast. I could only wish to be half as prolific and successful as the dude.

MartyStu

Bahahaha. Yeah, the trilogy as a whole doesn't really live up to the impressive beginning. And the follow-up, Alloy of Law, is imo the worst thing Sanderson's written. Hugely disappointing. I'm sure Tor is happy to have two more since he sells so well, but these might be his first novels that I'm just going to straight-up not even bother looking at.

Impossible. Elantris exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom