• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Book News: Brandon Sanderson announces release dates of 2 Mistborn Novels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed the trilogy, but the first book was definitely the best. It did feel like I was reading a JRPG though

I just hope I'll be able to separate his personal views from his next book thing I read from him.

Savitar

I enjoy his works so I look forward to the new novels. As for how he does them so fast, easy. His professional job is writing novels, know what his main hobby is?

Writing novels.

No joke, it's what he does in his free time.

DieH@rd

Banned
I very much enjoyed the original Mistborn trilogy. Will read this sequels when they are all out.

And I'm still amazed at the pace Sanderson is writing [quality] books. He has incredibly ambitious Stormlight Archive, soon he will release sequel to Steelheart, and now these new Mistborn books. The guy is a machine. :D

survivor

Banned
Not sure if I can motivate myself to read those when they come out. Mistborn trilogy started out pretty well, but then the last 2 books are just bad. Over the years I grew to hate them even more as I compare them to the first book. Alloy of Law was ok, quick page turner, but quite forgettable. Honestly I feel like I'm over Sanderson's writing. Couldn't even give enough of a crap to read the second book from Stormlight Archive.

Wedge7

I enjoyed the trilogy, but Alloy of Law was boring and I have no interest in revisiting the series at this point.

Completely agree. Really liked the first 3 books, and then was really excited when I first heard about Alloy of Law. I loved the triology, really like Sanderson, had a bad ass cover and two cool looking characters, what could go wrong? And then I read the book and was bored out of my ass. Just felt so lacking. Easily my least favorite Sanderson book.

In conjunction with the OP I think that's the fastest I've ever gone from oblivious/neutral...to hyped...to UNhyped.
Eh they're not that bad. first book is fine. Then the series shifts fantasy sub genres slightly. The endings to each of the sequels kinda turned to crap precipitously, but the rides preceding those endings were pretty fun. The only actively-annoying thing about mistborn is the way that the books assume you need reminding of details constantly. The writing would instantly be twice as good if he just trusted us to remember how the magic works. I guess he also sometimes redundantly describes character thoughts or emotions too. One reason I'm looking forward to trying out the stormlight books eventually is because they could be really good with only slight tweaks to his writing style (and the worst case scenario is still rather fun fantasy action that simply feels kind of like a ya book).

Now, elantris, that one's pretty bad. If alloy of law really is Sanderson's worst even compared to it, then i doubt I'll make it through the thing when i give it a shot. Never would have made it through elantris if not for the fact it was my cooking-dinner audiobook for a while.

the thing about sanderson though, if yuo've read his books, is that he takes very great care to really write out all the things that are happening. if you like to use your imagination a little, then you might not like his books.

for example, his mistborn writing can sometime be like this

"she uses Iron, which of course pulls on things, manages to pull the iron rod and defends herself. now her enemy, using Steel, pushes on the rod, which flew twistedly through the air and hit her in the face, and of course she's human, her nose gets broken and red blood flew out"

I don't think that's excessively wordy...When you're describing fights you have to be a little more descriptive, especially for fights as kinetic and wild as the one in Mistborn.

I don't think that's excessively wordy...When you're describing fights you have to be a little more descriptive, especially for fights as kinetic and wild as the one in Mistborn.

it's not that, it's taht he does it every paragraph, as if assuming the reader cannot remember after a paragraph.

maybe every few chapters? sure. not every frigging paragraph. he's doing the same thing in stormlight

Eh they're not that bad. first book is fine. Then the series shifts fantasy sub genres slightly. The endings to each of the sequels kinda turned to crap precipitously, but the rides preceding those endings were pretty fun. The only actively-annoying thing about mistborn is the way that the books assume you need reminding of details constantly. The writing would instantly be twice as good if he just trusted us to remember how the magic works. I guess he also sometimes redundantly describes character thoughts or emotions too. One reason I'm looking forward to trying out the stormlight books eventually is because they could be really good with only slight tweaks to his writing style (and the worst case scenario is still rather fun fantasy action that simply feels kind of like a ya book).

Now, elantris, that one's pretty bad. If alloy of law really is Sanderson's worst even compared to it, then i doubt I'll make it through the thing when i give it a shot. Never would have made it through elantris if not for the fact it was my cooking-dinner audiobook for a while.
Alloy of Law is nowhere near as bad as Elantris. Though to be honest, I can't remember much about it.

From what I have gathered, the next Mistborn books are between his original plan of having a modern day, and far future settings for the series. I can't really imagine what a magic systems could do in timeframes, but I'm on that train already.
Perhaps I'll read Way Of Kings until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom