• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel | in Space | PC/360/PS3 only [Up: Screenshots]

ekim

Bkx0M0uIYAAVgik.jpg

Bkxz-e1IIAAkraY.jpg

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/09/b...uel-takes-the-loot-n-shoot-series-into-space/

Okay, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is the next project from 2K Australia, who began work immediately after wrapping up on their contribution to Bioshock Infinite.
Gearbox is overseeing development, but its main team remains focused on some as yet unannounced next-gen IPs.
Note that the Pre-Sequel isn't coming to PS4 or Xbox One, which may be a source of disappointment for our console cousins, who probably hoped for an uptick in resolution and/or frame rate, but there are no such worries on PC.
The game is being built using the Borderlands 2 engine, which as we know runs buttery smooth at high resolutions when powered by a half-decent GFX card.

The Pre-Sequel tells the story of how Jack came to become the villain of Borderlands 2, with you helping his (initially well-meaning) rise to eventual super-villainy.
In the demo Athena and Willhelm are trying to storm a Hyperion base in order to stop a giant death-ray that's blasting lumps out of the moon.

The lack of atmosphere has a couple of gameplay implications: Firstly you need to keep your oxygen meter topped up by collecting O2 canisters, which drop in the same way as other loot.
Not fun in itself, but you can also vent these to enable double jumps and to power jetpacks. This creates cool platforming opportunities—one massive jump sees the characters land on a pillar of moon rock, below which lava from a laser strike flows—and adds a pleasing verticality to the shootouts as enemies whizz around.
You can also shoot out their helmets to rob them of air. As if being shot in the face wasn't already inconvenience enough.

Tucah

you speak so well
Sounds interesting and I'm always down for more Borderlands. Too bad about no current gen systems though.

GlamFM

Banned
I really hope they find an audience for this. Personally I really had enough last gen borderlands.

I can see this and the VITA version bomb at retail sadly.

I´ll be back for a current gen version though - in the meantime - Destiny.

I can't justify buying a last gen game anymore, BL2 in co-op didn't run smooth on PS3, I don't want to go back to those times.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Someone please pose that gif of the guy shaking his lead slightly left and right deciding where he likes the news or not .. i guess its from Arrested Development.

Portman

Going to pass on this one. Between the two games and all their DLC I've had my share of Borderlands for a while.

Isurus

No next gen? Lame. I've moved on, but I guess I understand that last gen is where the marketshare is yet.

Teddified

Seems interesting, but I'll probably wait to hear if a PS4 version is even possible, and if it's assured that it'll never come I'll grab it for PC.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ohhhhhh yeeeeeah - more PC BL for me!

I assume the oxygen thing will be annoying at the outset but more manageable as you progress.

Hopefully they get some decent class skills this time around.

Why announce next gen now when you can do so later and take advantage of your hardcore, double-dipping base? Until the core gamers realize how much they're getting fleeced these companies will do so. No, I'm not sure this is the case, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

salromano

PC Gamer's story is gone. Looks like they pulled the trigger too early.

Here's the full thing until it returns:

Edit: Never mind, it's back.

This whole trying to flesh out the very basic story with this & the Telltale game series doesn't appeal to me. The universe isn't as interesting or unique as they think it is.

kulapik

Just watched the article and... eh. The only screenshot they have is posted twice (lol) and it looks exactly like BL2. Hope it's a digital standalone a la Blood Dragon.

Silky

Banned
Pitchford on why Bordermemes isn't on PS4/Xbone

"It's not free to build a game for next-gen," Pitchford explained. "So when we decide where to spend our resources, we want to spend all of the attention we can on the game itself.

"If you try to image the set of Borderlands players who have already upgraded, that's not 100 per cent. But if you try to image the set of Xbox One or PS4 owners who do not have an Xbox 360 or a PS3, the difference there is so close to nil you can't make a business rationalisation around that."

guess they finally ran out of Colonial Marines money

Just watched the article and... eh. The only screenshot they have is posted twice (lol) and it looks exactly like BL2. Hope it's a digital standalone a la Blood Dragon.

It's going to be full on retail.

I guess this puts Borderlands 3 for next fall on current gen only.

Ourobolus

Banned
I like the description there of the classes. Athena sounds interesting, and while I'm not the biggest fan of melee hopefully it meshes well with cryo.

Definitely want to see how Nisha turns out.

Top Bottom