• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel | in Space | PC/360/PS3 only [Up: Screenshots]

GamerSoul

oxygen tank? really?

bottom of the barrel game design

You can use it sort of like a jet pack, to even double jump, or even this.

lotxxuhgibqi35jjwouy.gif

If you notice the O2 bar level, it seems after you kill an enemy it could possible to obtain their oxygen. It goes from 65 to around 100. It might take some getting use to but I wont make judgment on it yet.

Everything is in the preview.
v

http://kotaku.com/the-next-big-borderlands-game-will-let-you-play-as-clap-1560995025

One of the problems I had with the series after spending a significant amount of time with Borderlands 2 is how the environments are static. The world, and everything within it, is fixed. That makes re-playing the game, be it through TVHM or rolling a new toon in a diffferent class, tremendously tedious because you've experienced it all before numerous times. For an FPS Diablo-like, this is kind of problematic. They want you to play and re-play this game, to max out your character, to max out all of the characters, to farm their shitty raid bosses for broken legendary loot that they never bother to fix.

This fixed structure also makes playing with strangers problematic and frustrating because some of these randoms would just run through and open all of the chests because they knew exactly where they all were, take what they want and just leave. Borderlands is a shitty multiplayer experience with strangers.

You can use it sort of like a jet pack, to even double jump, or even this.

lotxxuhgibqi35jjwouy.gif

If you notice the O2 bar level, it seems after you kill an enemy it could possible to obtain their oxygen. It goes from 65 to around 100. It might take some getting use to but I wont make judgment on it yet.

Everything is in the preview.
v

http://kotaku.com/the-next-big-borderlands-game-will-let-you-play-as-clap-1560995025

the 'fun' from being able to jump further around should absolutely NOT be tempered by how you have to watch the same meter to avoid dying.

you already have to monitor your shield and health and ammo.....adding one more to that mix is not wise.

especially if there's an UVHM......ugh....just fucking UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHrgH

Dizzy

Banned
I prefer PC for my FPSs, so will buy day 1! Love Borderlands.
This. I have to admit I too would be put off with a last gen game, but luckily this is a nonfactor on PC. 1080p/60fps.

Hopefully it has physix again. That looked amazing in BL2.

One of the problems I had with the series after spending a significant amount of time with Borderlands 2 is how the environments are static. The world, and everything within it, is fixed. That makes re-playing the game, be it through TVHM or rolling a new toon in a diffferent class, tremendously tedious because you've experienced it all before numerous times. For an FPS Diablo-like, this is kind of problematic. They want you to play and re-play this game, to max out your character, to max out all of the characters, to farm their shitty raid bosses for broken legendary loot that they never bother to fix.

This fixed structure also makes playing with strangers problematic and frustrating because some of these randoms would just run through and open all of the chests because they knew exactly where they all were, take what they want and just leave. Borderlands is a shitty multiplayer experience with strangers.

There's plenty of good loyal strangers out there....and they are tempered by the amount of weirdos who like to speak into a mic but are probably socially retarded. Contradictory as it means sure, but, it's happened to me and my girlfriend while playing a bit too much for our liking.

Hugo!

Neo Member
the 'fun' from being able to jump further around should absolutely NOT be tempered by how you have to watch the same meter to avoid dying.

you already have to monitor your shield and health and ammo.....adding one more to that mix is not wise.

especially if there's an UVHM......ugh....just fucking UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHrgH
Yep, I agree.

RoKKeR

I really don't understand why this is being made in its current state. Watched some gameplay and it is pretty disingenuous to call this a seperate, standalone title. It's an expansion pack with an Oxygen mechanic.

GamerSoul

it adds a little strategy to how you play and it totally fits the moon theme. I would honestly be surprised if there is not a way to increase the tank capacity. saying that I wonder if Claptrap will have it also lol.

and uvhm is another story though. lol.

Sciz

I really don't understand why this is being made in its current state. Watched some gameplay and it is pretty disingenuous to call this a seperate, standalone title. It's an expansion pack with an Oxygen mechanic.

Standalone expansions have been a thing for some years now.

it adds a little strategy to how you play and it totally fits the moon theme. I would honestly be surprised if there is not a way to increase the tank capacity.

Eurogamer's gameplay footage showed off a new equipment slot just for extending the O2 meter and improving its related functions.

GamerSoul

Eurogamer's gameplay footage showed off a new equipment slot just for extending the O2 meter and improving its related functions.

I must have missed it before. It sounds pretty interesting and the added functionality only makes it sound like a notable difference from the other games. I kinda like how their emphasizing the moon premise.

Ark

I'll be grabbing this on PC day-one. Hoping it releases towards the back end of Summer because I need to buy a new computer.

I completely agree and it's also one of the major problems I've had with the games. One of the most important things for any loot-based RPG is randomized maps.

I didn't buy GTA V or the Last of Us last gen because I expected a port to the new gen. I expect the same will be true of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. In addition to that, I've move on from the Xbox to the PlayStation and have let my Gold subscription lapse in favor of PSN+, so I am even less inclined to buy a game with a multiplayer component on my last gen 360 system.

bebop242

I'm not so sure there will be a ps4/xbone port down the line. This just seems to be a stop-gap cash grab as they work on borderlands 3. Sorta like origins was for Batman.

Day 1 for me.

Btw, the OX tank is just for bigger jumps/jetpacking/etc. You don't actually use the OX tank to survive. If you run out you simply can't jetpack anymore. A video on IGN explains this.

*Edit*Just read a preview on some random site and it does say you need oxygen to survive, but there are oxygen generators all over the place. Has any official source actually stated that you die if your OX runs out?

Step

I saw a bandit SMG yes so good. What sort of abilities do the classes have?

So far we know only Athena's shield, and Nisha is dual wielding Jacobs in her reveal art so maybe she will have a sort of gunzerker action skill.

I wouldn't be surprised if Claptrap fakes breathing sounds and the need for air haha It would be so him, the only thing I wish is that they got rid of BL2 stats, I loved BL1 subtle stats increase in weapons, a good weapon was really a good weapon for the rest of the game, unlike in BL2 where you are lucky if your gun works 2-3 lvls later. those stats made useless most of Dahl/Bandits weapons because of their decrease in damage, I rather to see a +30dmg in my new weapons and not a +5000dmg that barely does any difference.

And I'm really hyped for Cryo weapons, Ice is my favorite element in games.

Are they actually calling it "The Pre-Sequel"?

Ugh.

Game takes place between the original and 2. Borderlands: The Prequel would imply it takes place before the original.Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel implies it takes place before the sequel, which it does. Plus that's just Borderland's style of trying to be funny, a lot of that same humor exists in the first two and whether or not you like it is now irrelevant.

Sciz

the only thing I wish is that they got rid of BL2 stats, I loved BL1 subtle stats increase in weapons, a good weapon was really a good weapon for the rest of the game, unlike in BL2 where you are lucky if your gun works 2-3 lvls later. those stats made useless most of Dahl/Bandits weapons because of their decrease in damage, I rather to see a +30dmg in my new weapons and not a +5000dmg that barely does any difference.

When they did that in BL1 they got a lot of complaints that it was impossible to find upgrades.

maouvin

I take it the Clap trap won't need oxygen because, you know... He's a robot.

But don't be surprised if he isn't aware/denies that he's a robot and pass out when his oxygen bar empties (with some 4th wall breaking and all). This is Borderlands, after all.

npa189

Wasn't impressed by Borderlands and I still think the whole series is a fluke, Gearbox is a shit dev. Might buy it on steam sale, but old gen only? that's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen. Bump it to 1080 and call it a day.

Another one for the growing list of PS3 games to buy this year. I really don't understand people that just because a new generation comes up, suddenly the last one sucks and God forbid any games come out, lazy, lazy devs. Might as well buy a PC then, always up to date. Since the PS4 launch, I got a total of 6 games for it, versus 19 for PS3. If the game is enjoyable, don't care much for graphics or fps.

Mistel

Banned
So far we know only Athena's shield, and Nisha is dual wielding Jacobs in her reveal art so maybe she will have a sort of gunzerker action skill.
Thanks for that I'm going to experiment with them all till I find one I like as I doubt there's a Gaige like character in the roster. I too would prefer a scaling more akin to the 1st it is just so much more effective. Gaige with a Tattler or a Slagga that was underleveled was fine but I can't say the same for others.

GamerSoul

Game takes place between the original and 2. Borderlands: The Prequel would imply it takes place before the original.Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel implies it takes place before the sequel, which it does. Plus that's just Borderland's style of trying to be funny, a lot of that same humor exists in the first two and whether or not you like it is now irrelevant.

I originally thought it would take place before 1 but this is far more interesting and gives them the license to have some great cameos in the game and a chance to show us what happen to places llike New haven.

But don't be surprised if he isn't aware/denies that he's a robot and pass out when his oxygen bar empties (with some 4th wall breaking and all). This is Borderlands, after all.

lol true. damn it's going to be hard to pass up a chance to play as clap trap if only for those scenario.

Time to watch that preview.

naw, ill pass on this. I haven even played the last 4-5 DLC for borderlands 2, nor do i have the lastest level cap DLC.

I have around 500 hours in borderlands two, and im just kind of burned out on it. Maybe in a few years when the game is really cheap, and on next gen consoles, I may pick it up if im in the mood for it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
remember when i said a bit back you're going to see even more 'previous gen' versions of games franchises, while seeing separate 'sequel' versions on next gen only?

this is one example I was eluding to.

I like Borderlands so will buy it even though it reminds me a lot about Batman Arkham Origins by shifting to a different studio and re-using assets.

Top Bottom