• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel | in Space | PC/360/PS3 only [Up: Screenshots]

Naite

I'm probably gonna skip this one. My interest in the series died down heavily halfway through all of BL2's DLC and footage for this game so far doesn't do enough for me.

Finally a thread is up about this. I think the excuse to not have it on "current gen" is ridiculous. How much did Borderlands 1&2 sell on the 360/PS3 anyways? Did it break double digits?

I was a huge Borderlands fanboy and got a significant number of my friends and coworkers addicted to Borderlands 1 back when it came out. This, however, I'm not inclined to spend a dime on.

Mine is an unpopular opinion I'm sure, but the quality of Borderlands since the final Borderlands 1 DLC has been consistently decreasing. The only exception was the out-of-the-box story in Borderlands 2. The gameplay and design of BL2, however, was a significant step backwards in every respect. There were less guns, less overall loot, and less need to bother with gun chests or zone loot crawling. Manufacturers became bland as they went from being derived from a massive parts pool to having weapons which all looked and acted similar. Point builds became fairly cookie cutter regardless of class.Then there was the increased MMO-ification of the game: Adding three secondary currencies (Eridium, Seraph Crystals, and Torgue tokens), converting the game design from a Diablo-like dungeon/loot crawler into a raid boss loot pinata game, and buffing/nerfing gear. Like Claptrap's New Robot Revolution before it, the DLC for BL2 was increasingly outsourced which gave varying levels of quality.

This post summarizes BL2's problems well.

I thought Borderlands 2 was worse that the original in every department. The secondary currencies were an awful idea, and the rarity of rare drops also spoiled the fun of looting.

But the games biggest problem was getting rid of the original's random-part weapon system. Forcing certain manufacturer's weapons to act in the same way diminished weapon diversity and made looting even less interesting.

I also thought the story was awful, with forced events and deaths that made no sense.

Honestly, the only reason I have hope for this game is that 2K Australia could counter some of Gearbox's awful decision-making in regards to game mechanics.

lokeloski

I loved the non-sense action from Borderlands 1 (even if some later levels seemed to be finished in a rush), and I liked very much the upgraded gameplay from Borderlands 2. Everything appeared to be more responsive.

As story-wise goes, BL2 had its moments, but it tried to force too many jokes, where in BL1 they were just... jokes. Also, besides Handsome Jack dialogues, the story of BL2 was awful. BL1 didn't have any story, and I had no problem there.

What really got me tired of BL2 was hearing the same dialogues over and over and over and OVER again. Where in BL1 you can just walk away and start shooting things, in BL2 you HAVE to wait for the npcs last lines before your quest guide updates. It was really annoying and it broke the action sequences for a lot of quests (at least to me).
I just wanted to shoot things.

This pre-sequel seems cool, but I'll wait for more info before passing judgement.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't buy their excuse for no PS4/XB1 versions.

If you have a PC version, then it's likely cheaper to port to PS4/XB1 than it is to port to PS3/360.

They're leaving money on the table and without a PS4/Vita version I won't be buying this. The only PS3 games I have bought this year are Lighting Returns and FFX/X-2 HD.

Silly people.

GamerSoul

Randy implied it might be a discounted game, but that it's Take-Two's decision.

That would be a nice gesture. I hope TT goes through with it. They make it back with random DLC

Here are the full resolution screenshots. They seem to have the texture quality up to what you'd expect out of a 1080p game.

Well, at least it will have a good PC version which is what I was going to be playing on it anyway, even if I don't understand their business decisions.

It looks great. Wow Athena has a shield throw? Man this is making my choice a bit harder.

2k_borderlands_pre_se2psra.jpg

Sciz

I don't buy their excuse for no PS4/XB1 versions.

If you have a PC version, then it's likely cheaper to port to PS4/XB1 than it is to port to PS3/360.

The tools and code already exist for PS3/360/PC. There's no porting involved, it's simultaneous multiplatform development.

Finally a thread is up about this. I think the excuse to not have it on "current gen" is ridiculous. How much did Borderlands 1&2 sell on the 360/PS3 anyways? Did it break double digits?

Yes, around 13 million copies or more.

Borderlands 2 - 8.5 million copies (Pitchford says now it's more than all the Xbox Ones, 3 million, and PS4s, 6 million, combined which would make it more than 9 million)

Borderlands 1 - 4.5 million copies (as of 2011)

Rubius

Look good, like I said, Handsome Jack was the best villain of last gen, so I like that he's your boss in this. I do hope that we get to raid New Haven and that we wont just stay on the moon all the game. I mean the whole point is to send Whilem to destroy New Haven, and you play as Whilem!

Vashetti

Banned
The tools and code already exist for PS3/360/PC. There's no porting involved, it's simultaneous multiplatform development.

Well I think they're going to regret their decision as last-gen sales have fallen down a landslide since after Christmas/New Year.

Even those who don't own PS4/XB1 are buying less last-gen software now.

GamerSoul

In the video, it looked like you could hold it up to block damage, too.

Yea I just watched the preview. Damn that looks fun to use. I like what I'm seeing so far. From the looks of it, your oxygen tank decreases at a pretty slow rate so it does not seem like it will be constantly burden.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The last game left a bad taste in my mouth. I prefer the atmosphere in the first game more than the over-the-top nature of the second.

Gaogaogao

so, I solo the game, which means I used the soldier in bl1 and the mechromancer in bl2, in order to heal/ recharge shields easier. is there a class like that in the pre-sequel?

GamerSoul

The cryo bullets might be extra useful against floating, low gravity enemies.
Nice Shield Overkill lol. Now I wait to see the others.

Yes, around 13 million copies or more.

Borderlands 2 - 8.5 million copies (Pitchford says now it's more than all the Xbox Ones, 3 million, and PS4s, 6 million, combined which would make it more than 9 million)

Borderlands 1 - 4.5 million copies (as of 2011)

But that 13 million is combined. I'm also sure those weren't all day one sales but sales that accumulated over the course of years they have been around.

So when you take into consideration the amount of consoles already in hands, which is 80 million for each - in which their current games aren't even close to selling up to, your telling me, a combined 9 million starting new adopters is not enough to carry this game?

It seems ridiculous and an excuse just to hide the fact that they were already too late into development to create it for current gen systems. I'm interested to see how many people will be here for it when it launches on those systems.

jkanownik

I was a huge Borderlands fanboy and got a significant number of my friends and coworkers addicted to Borderlands 1 back when it came out. This, however, I'm not inclined to spend a dime on.

Mine is an unpopular opinion I'm sure, but the quality of Borderlands since the final Borderlands 1 DLC has been consistently decreasing. The only exception was the out-of-the-box story in Borderlands 2. The gameplay and design of BL2, however, was a significant step backwards in every respect. There were less guns, less overall loot, and less need to bother with gun chests or zone loot crawling. Manufacturers became bland as they went from being derived from a massive parts pool to having weapons which all looked and acted similar. Point builds became fairly cookie cutter regardless of class.Then there was the increased MMO-ification of the game: Adding three secondary currencies (Eridium, Seraph Crystals, and Torgue tokens), converting the game design from a Diablo-like dungeon/loot crawler into a raid boss loot pinata game, and buffing/nerfing gear. Like Claptrap's New Robot Revolution before it, the DLC for BL2 was increasingly outsourced which gave varying levels of quality. ...

My wife and I pretty much agree with you on BL1 vs BL2. I lost my BL2 character mid-way through the season pass DLC and couldn't be bothered to create a new character. I haven't really missed it. I always felt that BL2 just seemed off vs BL1 and I think you've articulated why pretty well.

oneils

Someone please pose that gif of the guy shaking his lead slightly left and right deciding where he likes the news or not .. i guess its from Arrested Development.

I think you mean this one, but it is from Curb your Enthusiasm

ounym.gif

I'm down for the pc version.

I don't know, maybe just me, but the barren moon surface environment is going to get old fast, won't it? That and the oxygen meter has the potential to be a gimmick that ultimately harms the game in my opinion.

Other than that, I seriously hope that Take2 doesn't hold out on next-gen like Japan did on the PS3. The way that one quote was worded makes it seem like if they had their way with things, 7th gen would be an eternal gen.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm probably going to just wait for BL3. The outer-space additions like oxygen and low gravity seem like negatives to me, and space themed characters & levels will probably get old quickly. Plus playing as old non-playable characters doesn't sound terribly exciting. Why make this instead of putting the manpower and resources into BL3?

Also, the most important question....is slag gone?

2k Australia was once Irrational Games Canberra. They made Freedom Force, now they are making a Borderlands franchise cash in.

These are sad times.

But that 13 million is combined. I'm also sure those weren't all day one sales but sales that accumulated over the course of years they have been around.

So when you take into consideration the amount of consoles already in hands, which is 80 million for each - in which their current games aren't even close to selling up to, your telling me, a combined 9 million starting new adopters is not enough to carry this game?

It seems ridiculous and an excuse just to hide the fact that they were already too late into development to create it for current gen systems. I'm interested to see how many people will be here for it when it launches on those systems.

You did ask for Borderlands 1&2.

For their "excuses", which they've already provided, this isn't Gearbox making the next Borderlands. It's 2K Australia. This hasn't taken their time away. I'm sure they're working on something much bigger, which could be Borderlands 3 or a big new IP that they seem to be hinting towards. Or that Brothers in Arms game.

Maybe they weren't given enough money to do a next-gen port, I don't know. Maybe they did the risk/benefit analysis and getting possibly 500K copies extra from next-gen consoles wasn't worth the investment for 2K Australia as of the current install base. I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded statement. That the games didn't sell close to 80 million copies means they should spend more money on tinkering with next-gen console tech to get a next gen port? I'm no developer, so I don't know the process of whether it's easy or hard to make a port just like that. These aren't open or old platforms like the PC where every developer knows how it all works inside and out.

Top Bottom