• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel | in Space | PC/360/PS3 only [Up: Screenshots]

ryuken-d

Maybe a bit of hyperbole on my part. I didn't mean that they were on a level playing field. I loved both games, but BL2 was more or less an greatly improved version of BL1. I wouldn't say it did anything groundbreaking other than perfecting the base it was given.

EDIT: as to the second part, well, yeah. If it's like a 4-hour long version of BL, I would expect it to be like...$5.

yeah actually your right its basically a complete upgrade. as for game play it didnt change much besides new charactors. heres hoping this is a complete game. loved tiny tinas DLC but more is usually better.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm hyped so I'm looking forward to play this game. I like the fact that we are going to playing as villains this time. :)

ryuken-d

I think this Oxygen mechanic will limit exploration, or at least make it a pain in the ass.

I'm going to assume the developers thought this through completely and wouldnt dare do something so annoying. I'm also guessing that when you explore you shoot things and when you shoot things oxygen comes out :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I have killed so much time playing Borderlands 2 since it hit PS+. I just keep playing it, bought most of the DLC, letting all other games pile up in my backlog, it's ridiculous.

So good job Gearbox and company, you've got me hooked.

It makes perfect sense. Why? Because this is being developed as a last-gen game. I mean, everything I say is pretty much only assumption, but it's not being developed by Gearbox and looks just like Borderlands 2. Those facts lead me to believe that this game is only being made to tide people over until Borderlands 3 is released (possibly exclusively on current gen systems). If this game was released on XB1/PS4, people would complain that it looks last-gen even though it is a last-gen game. Since there are no generations on PC, people won't be having that complaint.

Yeah, there's surely a marketing angle, where they want to maximize the impact of the next full fledged sequel, and not risk people having diminished excitement after playing a less impressive up-port of a side game.

I'm going to assume the developers thought this through completely and wouldnt dare do something so annoying. I'm also guessing that when you explore you shoot things and when you shoot things oxygen comes out :)

what are you doing

You're supposed to see 'x' feature and just... react. Design implications? shave em down to as simple as you can get them and then act like the developers didn't really think about it, they just 'stuck it in, y'know, just bcause'. Lets you act all cynical and shit over something you realistically know nothing about! and lemme tell you that's a lot more fun than gaming

Volume of port begging? Where? In this thread? There's only 10 million next gen units compared to 150 million current gen units out there (not accounting for replacements). Even if only 10% bought this title, that's still more than 100% of next gen owners.

And yet cross gen games sell better on PS4 and Bone (Thief, MGS GZ) even though PS360 have 160m userbase and cheaper pricepoint for games.

Forsythia

I will buy this day 1, since the first game I'm a sucker for Borderlands. But that oxygen mechanic looks like shit, I don't want to be worried about having enough air all the time. Who the fuck came up with that and thought it was a good idea?

Of course the PS4 and Xbox One versions will happen, but they need to milk the franchise as much as they can. It'll probably drop 6 months after the last gen versions. But when will the Vita version launch? That's the question *snicker*

Lynq

Banned
I haven't even finished B2 so I'll pass. Too monotonous for me, good for couple hours.

Wonder if they'll sell this for full 60$ price.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Will play as Athena. Super hyped for this.

BigDug13

Your logic implies that no 3rd party game should have been released at launch.

I guarantee that all the big 3rd party games had dev kits for a very short period of time and still got the games out.

This isn't a big third party game dev. It's a one-off dev house at 2k. This isn't Gearbox. It's 2k Australia. Do you think they had "PS4/XBO" release in their heads as they made this one-off prequel to a PS360 franchise using UE3?

Aru

If by buttery smooth they mean a game that ran with more frame drops than ever, than sure, that's Borderlands 2 and its engine. I don't know if it's because of PhysX or something else, but using Geforce Experience's optimized settings or my own, I could never have a stable framerate. More like 25-60 constantly fluctuating in battle :/

Anyway, if BL1 and BL2 were definitely good games, I had enough.

BigDug13

If by buttery smooth they mean a game ran with more frame drops than ever, than sure, that's Borderlands 2 and its engine. I don't know if it's because of PhysX or something else, but using Geforce Experience's optimized settings or my own, I could never have a stable framerate. More like 25-60 constantly fluctuating in battle :/

Anyway, if BL1 and BL2 were definitely good games, I had enough.

You should have disabled physx then. UE3 isn't that taxing and you shouldn't have been experiencing 25fps drops if your PC specs were up to snuff. Physx made the game too cluttered to me anyway for a game with so much going on.

impact

Banned
This is gonna flop so hard. Only on last gen and going up against Destiny.

Good luck with that, Pitchford. Last gen is dead.

Nydius

I was a huge Borderlands fanboy and got a significant number of my friends and coworkers addicted to Borderlands 1 back when it came out. This, however, I'm not inclined to spend a dime on.

Mine is an unpopular opinion I'm sure, but the quality of Borderlands since the final Borderlands 1 DLC has been consistently decreasing. The only exception was the out-of-the-box story in Borderlands 2. The gameplay and design of BL2, however, was a significant step backwards in every respect. There were less guns, less overall loot, and less need to bother with gun chests or zone loot crawling. Manufacturers became bland as they went from being derived from a massive parts pool to having weapons which all looked and acted similar. Point builds became fairly cookie cutter regardless of class.Then there was the increased MMO-ification of the game: Adding three secondary currencies (Eridium, Seraph Crystals, and Torgue tokens), converting the game design from a Diablo-like dungeon/loot crawler into a raid boss loot pinata game, and buffing/nerfing gear. Like Claptrap's New Robot Revolution before it, the DLC for BL2 was increasingly outsourced which gave varying levels of quality.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is completely outsourced with Gearbox acting as "consultant". It's going to use the exact same design elements, game assets, engine, et cetera as BL2. It looks like extended DLC and feels like 2K is hurrying to milk the IP while the X360 and PS3 are still relevant.

If this sells for more than $40, it's not worth it. If they try selling it for $60 and a season's pass, they're just bending gamers over in order to - to quote Carlin - "service the account".

impact

Banned
BL2 did really well on PC on launch, and this is likely to do similar numbers if it turns out solid.

Guess I could get it on PC but I'll be busy with Destiny, which is pretty much guaranteed to be a better game. Not only that but I got bored with Blands 2 even before half of the DLC came out. Waste of money on that season pass.

Gaogaogao

Guess I could get it on PC but I'll be busy with Destiny, which is pretty much guaranteed to be a better game. Not only that but I got bored with Blands 2 even before half of the DLC came out. Waste of money on that season pass.

oh man, I hope destiny destroys this game (and has a pc version).

Ourobolus

Banned
the pre-sequel (I cant believe they are calling it that) aspires to be little more than over priced dlc. so good luck with that.
So it's impossible for them to both sell well or for people to enjoy both? Or am I required to irrationally hate one of them?

Gaogaogao

So it's impossible for them to both sell well or for people to enjoy both? Or am I required to irrationally hate one of them?

are you trying to put words in my mouth? you can hope for whatever you want. I don't hate either, but the difference is pretty obvious to me.

Ourobolus

Banned
are you trying to put words in my mouth? you can hope for whatever you want. I don't hate either, but the difference is pretty obvious to me.

I saw "I hope destiny destroys this game," which to me implies that you want this game to fail horribly. Just curious as to why this game's success has such an impact on how much you enjoy Destiny?

I was just a strange comment.

I intend to play and enjoy both.

Gaogaogao

I saw "I hope destiny destroys this game," which to me implies that you want this game to fail horribly. Just curious as to why this game's success has such an impact on how much you enjoy Destiny?

I was just a strange comment.

I intend to play and enjoy both.

they are changing so little about this game that I don't believe it deserves to compete with an original game. unless you are charging less than half the price.

they are changing so little about this game that I don't believe it deserves to compete with an original game.
It's a bit of a stretch to say that this game is meant to compete with Destiny. Will it? Sure, I guess. Is it supposed to be 2K's answer to Destiny? I really doubt that.

Also, I'm sure there are a lot of people who are more than fine with not a lot being changed, but getting some new weapon types, four new classes, and a new campaign. It's hard to hold the game being too similar to past entries against it, because it's just as easy to wind up with people saying it's too different ("It's not the Borderlands I know and love!").

Gaogaogao

It's a bit of a stretch to say that this game is meant to compete with Destiny. Will it? Sure, I guess. Is it supposed to be 2K's answer to Destiny? I really doubt that.

Also, I'm sure there are a lot of people who are more than fine with not a lot being changed, but getting some new weapon types, four new classes, and a new campaign. It's hard to hold the game being too similar to past entries against it, because it's just as easy to wind up with people saying it's too different ("It's not the Borderlands I know and love!").

my issue really comes down to price. if you don't change much, I don't want to pay much either.

I'm assuming they are going to charge $40 for this. Two thirds the price of Destiny.

Don't worry, XB1 and PS4 owners, they'll announce a next gen remaster in 5 or 6 months.

Ugh. I can see this trend getting old real quick.

Kaldea

I'll give it a try. Still haven't bought a PS4 so I couldn't care less about the no next gen issue.

I'm kind of wary about the oxygen thing though.

Top Bottom