• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel | in Space | PC/360/PS3 only [Up: Screenshots]

Edwardo

Nice. I still havent upgraded to a ps4 / xbox one, so this should keep me occupied until a system seller releases for me.

But that might be Destiny, which is going to be released around the same time as this I think.

RalchAC

This'll probably be re-released on current gen in a year from now.
To wait for the GOTY, or to not wait for the GOTY.

Yep. They could do the same they've done with some Vita games. Port to homeconsoles, add a "more HD" and release it for 30-40€ in a year. More would be greed.

Game name is awful. It seems they wanted to have a "funny name". But they failed, it's awkward and cringeworthy.

Ridley327

Is there a particular reason why Gearbox seems to be doubling down on the appeal of the story recently? Between the Telltale game and this, they seem to have a lot of faith in the canon (such as it is) being a major part of the game's appeal, and I just don't really see that being a major driving force for most players.

BigDug13

Only if the Sony-paid-for port of Boredlands 2 sells well.

Which it most likely won't. Because the system is INDIEZZzzzzzzzzz now. :/

Too bad BOTH the lore and gameplay are terrible.

I wanted a Lootwhore FPS. What I got was boring shooting (second wind and second wind and second wind and second wind...) with too high damage for the enemies and barely usable loot (of course this is a lootwhore genre staple but when I can't even get a decent upgrade for hours...)

Maybe they fixed that in 2 and this Prequel to 2. But I can't care after how unsatisfying 1 was.

Not sure why you'd complain about this game having not even played 2. That's like saying fuck Assassins Creed as an entire series because the first game was boring as shit.

Game sequels aren't like movies. The second game in a series is usually way better than the first because they weren't able to implement all their ideas in the first iteration.

They were all shit so I don't see your point.

I didn't realize this was a "shit on Gearbox and Borderlands series" thread. Carry on then. I'll let all the haters discuss how much they hate this series in a thread dedicated to discussing the next BL game.

doemaaan

Zero interest. Zero. Fucking. Interest. "They want moonbase dlc?" "Lets find a way to sell it $60 to them." Gearbox has just been on a roll lately. And I hope this shit comes out on the same day as Destiny.

Tagg9

Zero interest. Zero. Fucking. Interest. "They want moonbase dlc?" "Lets find a way to sell it $60 to them." Gearbox has just been on a roll lately. And I hope this shit comes out on the same day as Destiny.

To be fair, I suspect it was 2K's decision to make this game and not Gearbox's.

FLAguy954

I can't justify buying a last gen game anymore, BL2 in co-op didn't run smooth on PS3, I don't want to go back to those times.

This. Also playing coop on the Xbox 360 disabled god rays and foliage. We promptly sold off our 360 version and purchased the GOTY version from Steam. Fucking night and day difference. Fuck Borderlands on last gen consoles (PC purchase it is).

nel e nel

I agree. A lot of the next gen port begging seems like whining but the volume of it suggests it's a real issue. When publishers ignore that it's a valid reason why their old gen project might end up selling poorly.

PS3 BL2's frame rate hurts my feelings. I'd rather it be on Vita so it's at least portable. I've committed to buy no more software on PS3 once Wolf Among Us is finished.

Volume of port begging? Where? In this thread? There's only 10 million next gen units compared to 150 million current gen units out there (not accounting for replacements). Even if only 10% bought this title, that's still more than 100% of next gen owners.

Twinduct

Yeah sounds decent, but this honestly sounds like an expansion more than a stand-alone game. Will wait for more media as currently it seems to be nothing more than a new gun type + 4 characters + No grav mod. More in line with something like Blood Dragon.

Would be interesting to see what they charge for this. They would be smart to do this sub 60, although I imagine it'll be 60 heh.

Ourobolus

Banned
Yeah sounds decent, but this honestly sounds like an expansion more than a stand-alone game. Will wait for more media as currently it seems to be nothing more than a new gun type + 4 characters + No grav mod. More in line with something like Blood Dragon.

Would be interesting to see what they charge for this. They would be smart to do this sub 60, although I imagine it'll be 60 heh.

+ new story
+ new skills
+ new everything except engine and assets, basically.

I hated that expansion to DQ2...what was it called... ah, right, DQ3.

Come on people, you know it will launch next summer on next gen with improvements and all the DLC, they will call it Borderlands Definitive Pre-Sequel Edition and cash in on everyone that is sticking it to them by not buying anything last gen.

Pretty much this.

We know this will happen because that XBOX ONE and PS4 install base will have grown and probably double by then. They are a company, and they want money, they like money, so they will go where ever the market goes.

I don't think they want to announce a next gen version, theyd probably wait and then have everyone double dip.

Im willing to bet money they will go the tomb raider route and release the next gen version the following year. We all know that tomb raider sold much better on the newer hardware than the older consoles.

LeBart

"We're not making a current gen version because the install base is too small."

But... Borderlands 2 Vita...

BigDug13

Funded by Sony.

It is preposterous to point to the low install bases though. inFamous sold VERY well recently on just one next gen system. Pretty sure Titanfall did extremely well on the other side too.

Iron Galaxy is making that version and Sony is publishing it.

2K and Gearbox probably thought the PS4/XB1 install base would be garbage
, because of Wii U sales probably,
and they were wrong.

Those high-quality screens only make a lack of a PS4/XB1 version hurt even more.

Twinduct

+ new story
+ new skills
+ new everything except engine and assets, basically.

I hated that expansion to DQ2...what was it called... ah, right, DQ3.

Even Randy called it 1.5 :p

You're example would have been more effective if DQ2 was proceeded with two seasons of DLC. Those DLC packs pretty much brought in everything you just mentioned.

But seriously this has more in common with D2 to D2: LOD than say D3.

Assume you missed the bit where I said that I'm waiting for me more media to make an actual judgement, but don't let that stop you.

GameSeeker

I feel the general problem with the logic Randy is applying here is that while there aren't a lot of next-gen consoles, by the time this game launches we're talking about a userbase of 10 million of the most engaged, highest spending gamers.

This is why PS3/360 sales are falling through the floor for the vast majority of titles. There weren't 170 million active, frequent buyers on them, so a good portion of the people who did buy more than Call of Duty or their annual sports game have moved on.

Really confounding business decision by 2K. I realize there's a cost involved in porting to PS4/XB1 (the biggest cost would likely be time), but I feel as if there is practically zero risk involved.

Borderlands also seems like the kind of game that would scale up extremely well, with almost no need to redo textures or geometry for 1080p.

Poor business decision by 2K. I will skip this game, as I have already bought my last PS3/360 game.

Ourobolus

Banned
Even Randy called it 1.5 :p

You're example would have been more effective if DQ2 was proceeded with two seasons of DLC. Those DLC packs pretty much brought in everything you just mentioned.

But seriously this has more in common with D2 to D2: LOD than say D3.

Assume you missed the bit where I said that I'm waiting for me more media to make an actual judgement, but don't let that stop you.

I saw it. I guess I wasn't really aiming directly at you (you were just the most recent poster) - just everyone jumping the gun. We've come full circle to people having expansion packs from way back when, to getting mad when it became piecemeal DLC, to getting mad again as this goes back to what could ostensibly be called a full-fledged expansion pack. I'm not irritated that people are calling it an "Expansion pack," so much as people bitching that it isn't enough content to justify something outside of DLC to a base game (sure, I have as much info as everyone else, but it at least shows me that it's more than just tacked on story content or a new character shoehorned into an existing narrative). It's clearly standalone.

DQ wasn't the best example, sure. But I'd say this provides a lot more "unique" (can't think of the word I want to use) content than LoD. This is a standalone game, unlike that was.

meppi

Such a dumb decision.
It if was coming to PS4 with all the bells and whistles that we expect from this new ten I would bite day one.
As it's not I'll pick it up on PS3 when it hits sub €15.

Gartooth

Not sure if I'm interested in this game, it sounds too much like a BL2 expansion than a proper third game. The platform choice is also stupid, aside from Persona 5 and DLC for games I already own (Dark Souls 2) I have no interest in buying last gen games.

batbeg

Bought.

And I imagine it will come to PS4One further down the line in some compilation package, like so many HD remasters this gen. Maybe by then I'll have incentive enough to own a PS4.

Twinduct

I saw it. I guess I wasn't really aiming directly at you (you were just the most recent poster) - just everyone jumping the gun. We've come full circle to people having expansion packs from way back when, to getting mad when it became piecemeal DLC, to getting mad again as this goes back to what could ostensibly be called a full-fledged expansion pack. I'm not irritated that people are calling it an "Expansion pack," so much as people bitching that it isn't enough content to justify something outside of DLC to a base game (sure, I have as much info as everyone else, but it at least shows me that it's more than just tacked on story content or a new character shoehorned into an existing narrative). It's clearly standalone.

DQ wasn't the best example, sure. But I'd say this provides a lot more content than LoD. This is a standalone game, unlike that was.

That's Fair. Although outside Blizzard, most expansions weren't priced as fully fledged sequels. Granted we have no info on that yet or any real idea if the price point would match the value of the product.

VanWinkle

This game will sell horribly on consoles. Coming almost a YEAR after the new consoles are out and they are sticking with the old ones? What an utterly bizarre decision. It's going to completely bomb.

If it's not being made by Gearbox I might just have to give it a shot, but definitely never buying a Borderlands game for full retail anymore...probably just end up waiting until it's a PS+ freebie, like with BL2.

Considering I still have PS2 and Gamecube games to finish I'm great with this. I mean this is clearly not a main installment. It's an Arkham Origins situation where another developer releases a prequel and then the main team can release a main entry a year away on PS4/One/PC. Multiple platforms and cuts down on criticism of annual releases.

Ourobolus

Banned
That's Fair. Although outside Blizzard, most expansions weren't priced as fully fledged sequels. Granted we have no info on that yet or any real idea if the price point would match the value of the product.

I'm on the fence about the price point too. Granted, we've no idea what it will be priced, but (and while I'll totally prefer cheaper than pricier) two games sharing a world and an engine don't necessarily mean that they have to be linked via expansion rather than just having two full games. BL2 didn't honestly change a TON from BL1 (and judging by the info we have now, this is probably very similar - less graphical upgrades possibly, though some assets do seem nicer), but I'd say most people would consider it a full game, and most people didn't have a problem with the $60.

The main reason I'd think they'll price it down is due to the last-gen release, though.

ryuken-d

That "every title on Vita" promise didn't last long.

well shit its not even on PS4, if anything I'd think they meant every title on PS4 will be on vita. maybe thats just what I got from it.

also disappointed its not on PS4, might get it if the price is right, or steam it. I still get some PS3 games mostly DLC and free stuff.

Sciz

The quality of Borderlands content developed outside of Gearbox has historically been sketchy, but this already sounds much more interesting and fleshed out than a mere piece of outsourced DLC would be. The addition of aerial mobility sounds like they're planning to expand on the light platforming elements the series already had, which I'm all over. And proper laser guns is something I've wanted for a while now.

ryuken-d

I'm on the fence about the price point too. Granted, we've no idea what it will be priced, but (and while I'll totally prefer cheaper than pricier) two games sharing a world and an engine don't necessarily mean that they have to be linked via expansion rather than just having two full games. BL2 didn't honestly change a TON from BL1 (and judging by the info we have now, this is probably very similar - less graphical upgrades possibly, though some assets do seem nicer), but I'd say most people would consider it a full game, and most people didn't have a problem with the $60.

The main reason I'd think they'll price it down is due to the last-gen release, though.

you cant be serious, BL1 and BL2 are waaay different and BL2 is so much better. pretty much in every way. also it all depends on how big and long it is. full retail price only if its as big as BL2.

Volume of port begging? Where? In this thread? There's only 10 million next gen units compared to 150 million current gen units out there (not accounting for replacements). Even if only 10% bought this title, that's still more than 100% of next gen owners.

Last gen game sales are in quick decline unless it's a gta5 mega hit. BL2.5 doesn't fit the bill. And if releasing on last gen was no issue they wouldn't need to justify it.

Its on last gen only, releasing later this year when current gen will have a bigger install base than it had currently, and in a window with games that could pull attention away from it. I've yet to see any reason why it's a good idea. They goofed, plain and simple.

A DD-only release? I could sort of understand that but it sounds like this was planned a while back under the assumption that nextgen would have a slower start. Releasing next year crossgen would make more sense.

Ourobolus

Banned
you cant be serious, BL1 and BL2 are waaay different and BL2 is so much better. pretty much in every way. also it all depends on how big and long it is. full retail price only if its as big as BL2.

Maybe a bit of hyperbole on my part. I didn't mean that they were on a level playing field. I loved both games, but BL2 was more or less an greatly improved version of BL1. I wouldn't say it did anything groundbreaking other than perfecting the base it was given.

EDIT: as to the second part, well, yeah. If it's like a 4-hour long version of BL, I would expect it to be like...$5.

Top Bottom