• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BRÜTAL LEGEND official thread of umlauts and schaferian awesomeness

MMaRsu said:
Yeah let's just keep the demo impressions in the other thread? :p.

but uhh most entertaining demo of the year = no sale?

Highly entertaining dialog and story. Bad gameplay. I made that pretty clear in my impressions.

I buy games to play something great, not story/dialog. This would have been better as an animated film IMO.

MMaRsu

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
Highly entertaining dialog and story. Bad gameplay. I made that pretty clear in my impressions.

I buy games to play something great, not story/dialog. This would have been better as an animated film IMO.

Ok. I really don't see or understand why people say the gameplay is bad though. I just don't see it. I don't feel it when I play it.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
KGKK said:
Just played the demo. Enjoyed the presentation, voice over and dialog a lot, loved the bones part, however the audio sucked in the PS3 version and the combat felt too loose. Glad to see theres gonna be a patch for the PS3 audio. Not a day 1 but might buy around Christmas.
I was wondering about that, the audio mixing seemed really off to me.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Loved the Demo , Deffo Getting this Game also might DL Psychonauts as well when Pay day rolls around

MMaRsu said:
Ok. I really don't see or understand why people say the gameplay is bad though. I just don't see it. I don't feel it when I play it.

I'm with you on this one. And I've played through the demo four times. Its solid imo. It might not be genre defying but shit, really...? does it need to be for people to enjoy it.

I mean lets reverse things for a minute here, would you rather have a game with AMAZING combat,, with average graphics, medicore world and theme, average sound, etc. OR... Would you rather have a game with some basic combat but surrounded with awesome visuals, a unique world, great character, good voice acting, one of the best soundtracks in a game EVER!?

I mean I don't think Brutal Legends is anywhere near a shit pile, but seeing some peoples views on it, you'd think otherwise.

Tokubetsu

DimmuBurgerKing said:
This. My only complaint with the soundtrack is the glam and nu-metal stuff. I'm not too crazy about Dragonforce's presence either, but the rest of it is great.

:lol Well said.

I think it's there for balance and there are other factions in the game like Tainted Coil and Drowning Doom? is that right?

MMaRsu

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
I'm with you on this one. And I've played through the demo four times. Its solid imo. It might not be genre defying but shit, really...? does it need to be for people to enjoy it.

I mean lets reverse things for a minute here, would you rather have a game with AMAZING combat,, with average graphics, medicore world and theme, average sound, etc. OR... Would you rather have a game with some basic combat but surrounded with awesome visuals, a unique world, great character, good voice acting, one of the best soundtracks in a game EVER!?

I mean I don't think Brutal Legends is anywhere near a shit pile, but seeing some peoples views on it, you'd think otherwise.

I don't understand it either dude :lol . The gameplay is solid for me, and it's only the into so there's more depth to it as well ( new moves, commanding headbanging dudes into demons :p ). Sure the gameplay is no GoW or NGII but it doesn't pretend to be and it's not even a game in the same vein. It doesn't even try to be!

I can't figure out what's so bad about the gameplay like some people are saying. To me Eddie controls pretty good, the handling on the car was a little off though. Aside from that it does what it's meant to do. Push buttons to kill dudes.

Yeah, demo gave me a great impression of the game. The car controlled a bit sluggish (and pushing L3 for nitro? really?) but the game itself seems like it'll be solid and fun if they can avoid another meat circus in the end. :lol

feel

Wait, what about the audio on the 360 version? Seemed pretty bad in the demo. Will it be fixed too?

MMaRsu

Banned
Letters said:
Wait, what about the audio on the 360 version? Seemed pretty bad in the demo. Will it be fixed too?

You're the only one I've seen complaining about the 360 audio. No problems there for me or anyone else I think.

bon

MMaRsu said:
I don't understand it either dude :lol . The gameplay is solid for me, and it's only the into so there's more depth to it as well ( new moves, commanding headbanging dudes into demons :p ). Sure the gameplay is no GoW or NGII but it doesn't pretend to be and it's not even a game in the same vein. It doesn't even try to be!

I can't figure out what's so bad about the gameplay like some people are saying. To me Eddie controls pretty good, the handling on the car was a little off though. Aside from that it does what it's meant to do. Push buttons to kill dudes.
It's not necessarily that the gameplay is "bad." It's totally playable. I think it's just that, considering that this is coming out about 4 1/2 years after Psychonauts, and considering the amount of quality and thought poured into the rest of the game, people were expecting the combat to be... a little more than adequate?

The game's still a first day purchase for me regardless.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I mean lets reverse things for a minute here, would you rather have a game with AMAZING combat,, with average graphics, medicore world and theme, average sound, etc. OR...

Yes, its called GodHand and its fucking amazing (although also has an amazing soundtrack). If you don't know how to make amazing gameplay, you shouldn't be making games. Interactivity and fluid action is what makes games enjoyable to play over watching a film. But anyway, maybe the full game will turn my opinion around but I'll be playing it after Uncharted 2, a game which will have brilliant gameplay and brilliant cinematics so I sort of feel sorry for my playthrough of Brutal Legend because I already know the gameplay segements will annoy me in places.

Also if Schafer 'Meat Circus's this games final level, I'll 'Meat Circus' his face.

Firestorm

SecretBonusPoint said:
Yes, its called GodHand and its fucking amazing (although also has an amazing soundtrack). If you don't know how to make amazing gameplay, you shouldn't be making games. Interactivity and fluid action is what makes games enjoyable to play over watching a film. But anyway, maybe the full game will turn my opinion around but I'll be playing it after Uncharted 2, a game which will have brilliant gameplay and brilliant cinematics so I sort of feel sorry for my playthrough of Brutal Legend because I already know the gameplay segements will annoy me in places.

Also if Schafer 'Meat Circus's this games final level, I'll 'Meat Circus' his face.
I had no idea you could control a protagonist interacting with various characters in a movie. But hey, you seem to know best!

Asmodai

Banned
Firestorm said:
I had no idea you could control a protagonist interacting with various characters in a movie. But hey, you seem to know best!

How do you interact with characters in Brutal Legend? Honest question here.

Firestorm

Asmodai said:
There aren't going to be characters to run around and talk to or anything like in Psychonauts? I've been keeping away from as much media as possible. The type of interactions the protagonist can have in a video game are not the same as the ones in movies.

Asmodai

Banned
Firestorm said:
There aren't going to be characters to run around and talk to or anything like in Psychonauts? I've been keeping away from as much media as possible. The type of interactions the protagonist can have in a video game are not the same as the ones in movies.

I asked you first, dammit! :lol

Strangely enough, I am aware of the basic differences between movies and games. What I am asking is if interactions with characters are going to be deeper than in the demo/videos we've seen, ie "trigger cutscene" stuff.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Asmodai said:
I'd be surprised if there wasn't. There is, at the very least, quest-givers and shop-owners (in the form of Ozzy in the underground), but yeah, not sure.

wRATH2x

Banned
Do you guys think I may be able to get this game early? I know a store where I was able to get a couple of games 5 days earlier than the release date, I'm going for Uncharted 2 anyway, I'll see of I can get it early.

MMaRsu

Banned
New gameplay and conference interview with Jack Black as Eddie Riggs ( with a dumb growling voice not resembling eddie's voice at all but ok ).

That's multiplayer footage by the way.

Widge

Menu screen = Great (evokes memories of LBP)
Intro = Great
Environments = Great
Huge weird boss = Great
Gameplay = :(

I just downloaded the thing full of "right lets give this a go then!" enthusiasm and was right into the thing up until the moment I had to attack something. I found the combat slapdash and uninvolving, almost up to a Heavenly Sword standard of disengagement. Heavenly Sword kept me going thanks to the middle chapter set pieces and story, maybe this can do the same. With all the other games coming out at the moment, its got to be a "when it gets cheaper" affair for me.

And no, I'm not a mindless pink robot who is auto-buying MW2 and nothing else eeither.

Widge

momolicious said:
Why do they have the option to remove gore or swearing?

I also thought it was a good comic device! Never seen that pop up like that in a game. Instantly prompted a "oh go on then!" lol moment from me.

MMaRsu

Banned
DieNgamers said:

The hell? I was sure I posted one :lol

Damn I love this screenshot :

n5ftc8.jpg

It's an oldie though :p.

Oh and this one too :

502ixd.jpg

Gorgeous.

ElyrionX

Just tried the demo. It was pretty awesome. The soundtrack is fantastic and I don't recognize 95% of the songs from that list.

The thing is, has there been much said about the combat system and the move list? How do you acquire new moves?

EDIT: Also, I can't believe a game like this even got made.

Kifimbo

ElyrionX said:
The thing is, has there been much said about the combat system and the move list? How do you acquire new moves?

Some are given to you during the adventure, but you are also "buying" some of them.

SecretBonusPoint said:

Your Godhand comment is very subjective. And if we applied your comment marked in bold, we wouldn't get many games, because its RARE for games to have amazing gameplay. FACT! And I'm excited for the release of Uncharted 2 as well, but could you be pushing or gloating any harder over the damn game, shit man. As if Brutal Legends did some sorta nasty back attack or something to Uncharted and tried to claim it was better. Please.

Wiggum2007

Good interview with Peter McConnell, composer for Brutal Legend and past Tim Schafer games, about making the music for the game:

Peter McConnell Interview

I should give out a warning to die-hard spoiler avoiders, there are a couple very minor things in there that I don't think are too big of a deal but some people might consider spoilers.

Really interesting stuff about how they blended the licensed and original music.

Tobor

I'm still trying to figure out which version I'm going to get, but I will be buying this.

I'm not even going to play the demo. It's Tim Schafer, nuff said.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Has there been any recent hints at a PC version? I haven't been keeping track of the game very well, but I really liked Psychonauts on it.

If I hear nothing by christmas, I'll probably just pick it up for the PS3.

It's annoying how there aren't any reviews out yet.
Probably a good thing, considering there's been quite a bit shown already.

And it's great that the fucking game launches the day before I have the biggest meeting that I've probably had in my life. Fabulous.
1019.gif

Nice avatar MMaRsu.

Nicko

So I pre-ordered via the EA store and just got an email saying my order has been shipped!

I also ordered Dead Space Extraction this way and received the game the next day!!

Heck yea!! Time to get BRUTAL early hopefully!

Nicko

MMaRsu

Banned
Buckethead said:
It's annoying how there aren't any reviews out yet.
Probably a good thing, considering there's been quite a bit shown already.

And it's great that the fucking game launches the day before I have the biggest meeting that I've probably had in my life. Fabulous.
1019.gif

Nice avatar MMaRsu.

Thanks but BenjaminBirdie made it for me, so he gets all the props :p.

I just hope I can get it early.. maybe wednesday ( hopefully ).

Vyer

I played a little of the full game today. It was the level where you get the Headbangers. I played a little in the open world/driving section and then started that level. I didn't get to finish all of it.

First off, the game looks pretty good. Yeah it's cartoony, but the graphics looked for some reason smoother and more polished than in the demo. When I was driving around it was an open field kind of area with different little creatures and 'metal' structures around. (I could see a big metal cross it looked liked in the distance). I was running over a few of the small ones and jumped out and fought a big one on the way. I passed a few buildings/structures you could go into - one was something marked 'lab' or somesuch - and waypoints are marked by this big beam of light streaming out of the sky down to where you are supposed to go.

The actual level looked cool. I walked up to a guy to kick off the level and you get a button option to interact with people - talked to him, told him I wanted to save the headbangers 'now', and off I went. It was a big pit in the ground where the headbangers are kept prisoner and forced to 'mine' - by banging their heads into the rock repeatedly. They are all bandanna wearing, long haired dudes with helmets and huge muscular shoulders and necks. :D There was this huge structure in the center where a bunch of them were forced to work and the boss barking orders at the top.

You can talk to the headbangers (it gives you a button option when you walk up to them) so I'd imagine you can interact with other characters during the course of the game.

Anyway, I learned a new 'solo' at the start of the level and used that to free some Headbangers. I talk them into a revolution after we beat down a guard (which is a funny conversation) and then after freeing a few more I tell them I'm going to 'train' them to be warriors. Of course, this is where you learn how to control your 'army', Overlord style, but what was cool about it was that it was in the context of the game, not just a tutorial. He's interacting with them while you learn the controls.

"OK, when I do this, that means you guys stay here, alright? Now I'm going to run over to that statue and when I turn around if I see any of you guys following me I'm going to be very disappointed!"

Anyhow, you eventually move on to the structure and have to fight off some other minions as you free slaves and try to save the guys that are working in the tower. It's pretty hilarious because all the headbangers are talking to each other and giving each other encouragement while this is happening, and the game uses a lot of the audio clues to tell you where to go. (One of the headbangers will yell, 'Dude! They're on the other side!').

And that's as far as I got. Even the brief time I played I laughed quite a few times and the environments I encountered where fun - and of course there was metal music playing in the background the whole time. :) I thought the demo was cool and after playing some of the full game I still want to pick this up.

MMaRsu

Banned
Some guy just told me he unlocked a face melting combat move, which when you play a certain guitar solo melts away the faces of your enemies. How fucking cool is that.

MMaRsu said:
Some guy just told me he unlocked a face melting combat move, which when you play a certain guitar solo melts away the faces of your enemies. How fucking cool is that.

They have mentioned that move a bit in interviews and stuff. They claim its like that one scene, you know from Indiana Jones! The opening of the box. :D :lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
Nicko said:
So I pre-ordered via the EA store and just got an email saying my order has been shipped!

I also ordered Dead Space Extraction this way and received the game the next day!!

Heck yea!! Time to get BRUTAL early hopefully!

Nicko

i preordered via EA store with expedited shipping and havent gotten a shipped email =(

Tokubetsu

MMaRsu said:

First thing I do when I get home is I'm trading in SFIV towards this. Might rob some kids infront of the store too for the extra cash.

RPGCrazied

sweet, they asked my question on the onthespot live show on gamespot.

I asked how long the campaign was, tim said about 15ish.. but way more if you do the side stuff

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RPGCrazied said:
sweet, they asked my question on the onthespot live show on gamespot.

I asked how long the campaign was, tim said about 15ish.. but way more if you do the side stuff
nice, I like me a decent-sized campaign. I mean, I like shorter games, but every now and then it's nice to have a good twenty hour-ish game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
First thing I do when I get home is I'm trading in SFIV towards this. Might rob some kids infront of the store too for the extra cash.

Awesome dude. Yeah SFIV has to go, a new one is coming out sooner or later anyway. Brutal Legend is going to be so sweet. Man I really wish that I can get it like monday or tuesday. Whenever just earlier then the 16th really! Beat those kids up man! Oh and beat this kid up too :

Cant0na said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqCWSeUBws

this guy told me, its the worst game ever.

This guy needs to be punched in the fucking face. What a retard.

jrricky

Banned
Buckethead said:
These retarded YouTube bloggers need to die. The asshole of entertainment right there.
Unless it's Sexman. That guy can stay. He's a homie.
Woah there, :lol . Tis just a game...

Top Bottom