• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BRÜTAL LEGEND official thread of umlauts and schaferian awesomeness

Rez said:
someone spoiler check the video review :)
Didn't seem to be any big spoilers. If you've read Page 1 of this thread and seen a couple of the videos then you've seen pretty much everything in the review.

There's a cameo spoiler. That's about it.

Rez said:
someone spoiler check the video review :)
There are some new scenes and new enemies I haven't seen before. Even sort of another cameo of a certain singer ->
80s ozzy bat
so you may avoid if you want to play it this week anyway. ;)

Mar

Einbroch said:
- I really enjoyed the RTS bits.

How RTS'y is it? This is a deal breaker for me. RTS is my absolute most hated genre. Please tell me it's not a complicated plodding strategy game.

Cant0na

Banned
Mar_ said:
How RTS'y is it? This is a deal breaker for me. RTS is my absolute most hated genre. Please tell me it's not a complicated plodding strategy game.

you choose what kind of minions you want and you tell them to follow, stay, attack

download the overlord demo, its kinda like that but with a little more depth

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
thanks guys!

Mar_ said:

from the IGN review and IGN AU review:
Most of the story missions are real-time strategy battles that find you commanding troops on a battlefield made up to look like an epic rock concert. But the ability to join the fight and deal out a little justice of your own adds some action to the strategy. Outside of story missions the game can be a beat 'em up or a shooter or a racer. The pieces all come together well without any of these mechanics feeling tacked on or inadequate.

Brütal Legend is a tricky game to pigeonhole in terms of genre and gameplay, drawing on three very distinct gameplay elements. Superficially (perhaps dangerously so, in the eyes of the general public), this is a action game in the vein of something like Fable or God of War, in a stretch – though not as extreme as either example. Riggs is a flying-V wielding guitarist, but in the land of Metal, his solos become devastating magical attacks. He also bandies a mean battle-axe and a balls-out attitude – a potent combination.

We say 'superficially' because, while you certainly do hack, slash and blast your way around the massive open world, Riggs gets to test his leadership skills in the second major gameplay element: real-time strategy. Yep – a significant portion of this game puts you in the commander's Doc Martins, waging war against the forces of glam and goth-rock from your concert stage; fans fuel your army's units – and the units themselves are headbangers, groupies, bikies and roadies.

The third and final pillar that comprises Brütal Legend is the adventure game element in itself; given the pedigree of game development from which this game was birthed, it's no surprise that Brütal Legend is littered with incidental dialogue, humour, surprises, secrets and plain, old-fashioned exploration. By breaking out your guitar and firing off a quick and simplistic, button-based guitar riff (think a watered down Guitar Hero meets the ocarina from Zelda: Ocarina of Time), you can summon the 'Deuce' a hellfire-streaked hotrod of glory and awesome. Suddenly, the world opens up and you get a feel for the scale of this creation – and the breadth of the gameplay variety on offer.

keep in mind, the former of these two quotes come from a review which says this:
Tim Shafer is one of the funniest guys in games and Jack Black is one of the funniest guys in movies -- together they'll keep you ROFLing (although the laughs do taper off as you work your way through the game).
oh IGN

MMaRsu

Banned
Anyone have a straight download link to the IGN review? Want to watch it on my TV through the Xbox 360..

Mar

Rez said:
Tim Shafer is one of the funniest guys in games and Jack Black is one of the funniest guys in movies -- together they'll keep you ROFLing

Someone should send that to Idle Thumbs ign.com twitter.

I'm getting the feeling that the RTS elements are pretty tame and much more casual than every other RTS. Hopefully... I'm trying to remain optimistic here.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
check out the video review to see it in action, it might help you make up your mind. the RTS elements seem pretty prevalent, but they look pretty simplified. this isn't base-building, tech-tree memorizing, stuff. It looks very action orientated.

Mar_ said:
I'm getting the feeling that the RTS elements are pretty tame and much more casual than every other RTS. Hopefully... I'm trying to remain optimistic here.

If you're REALLY that worried about it, and don't mind some spoilers considering this might make or break your purchase, go watch the 1 hour Gamespot video that was posted in this thread. The first half is singleplayer, and the 2nd half is multiplayer. Skip the first half, and you'll see the multiplayer which revolves around the RTS elements. Coming from someone who also hates deep RTS style games, this is totally simple. You command a group of specific classes, and tell them what to do. That's truly the extent of it.

Cant0na

Banned
Mar_ said:

the multiplayer trailer basically shows you all the rts elements, since thats what the online part is based on. simple - get fans - choose units - tell them what to do - fight with them

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/...tallegend_trl_multiplayertutorial_100109.html

Mar

Ok, I think you guys have re-sold me on the game. I'm back on board.

Now, the internal debate of whether to pick it up day 1 or not...

Agyar

Mar_ said:
Ok, I think you guys have re-sold me on the game. I'm back on board.

Now, the internal debate of whether to pick it up day 1 or not...

I have been debating said debate myself and concluded that I will be ROFL'ing sooner rather than later.

Batman will have to step aside.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Rez said:
check out the video review to see it in action, it might help you make up your mind. the RTS elements seem pretty prevalent, but they look pretty simplified. this isn't base-building, tech-tree memorizing, stuff. It looks very action orientated.

So true, this is Overlord-style RTS.

Come to think of it, this game is what Overlord should and could have been. Just with Metal added to it. And extra awesomesauce directly from Jack Black and Tim Schafer.

remz

Tim Shafer is one of the funniest guys in games and Jack Black is one of the funniest guys in movies -- together they'll keep you ROFLing
I was on the border but I am NOW TOTALLY SOLD.

with ROFLs like the promised, how can I miss out on this?

Sephon

Ok, so I got the opportunity to see this game in action and try it out a bit. (just don't ask)
Anyway it went from a "meh" to a definite day one!

I don't know how to say it other than it's fun! Great story, awsome music, and FUN!
I hope Tim gets what he deserves so that he keeps pushing out more awsome games!

I tried the demo yesterday, wanted to see for myself which version was superior.
They are almost identical.
The 360 version looked a little better because of the aa,
but the controller of the ps3 is more to my taste and this version has the bonus of being on blu-ray which is bit more scratch-proof than a dvd.

Oh what to do, I want to pre-order this gem but I just don't know what to do.

Why did I buy two systems, life was much easier when I only had a ps2...

MMaRsu

Banned
I GOT IT BITCHES HAHAHAHA

Fuuuuck this game is so fucking awesome guys, I've been playing for an hour now and I've been pretty much smiling the entire time because it's just that great.

Fuck between this and Batman, I'll have a hard time picking GOTY..

MMaRsu

Banned
Rez said:
I hate you.

Well the Netherlands is so much better at getting games before America anyway :p.

But yeah dude the game is totally awesome.. can't play longer though because my ex girlfriend is coming over to chill out in my new house :p.

Game is amazing shit I can't type up a long post right now but it's so good.

glaurung

MMaRsu said:
Well the Netherlands is so much better at getting games before America anyway :p.

But yeah dude the game is totally awesome.. can't play longer though because my ex girlfriend is coming over to chill out in my new house :p.

Game is amazing shit I can't type up a long post right now but it's so good.
A genuine pirate boasting on GAF? Well, I never.

MMaRsu

Banned
So many cool songs on the soundtrack.. I don't know many because I'm not a metal head but I feel I should be with this fucking awesome music and guitar solo's and riffs.

glaurung said:
301qcxt.jpg

neorej

ERMYGERD!
glaurung said:

I'm not surprised over his piracy-boasting, I'm shocked to learn he has a GF. I wonder what forum he picked her up...

MMaRsu said:
You totally painted that yourself, don't lie!
You lucky motherfuckeeeer :D I'll have to wait for the PC version to really play it in my house...Now that's hard!
If you have time (after playing some more) feel free to give some impressions, especially on the atmosphere, environments, music etc! ;)

MMaRsu

Banned
I picked it up from Bart Smit here.. the dude said he already received it last saturday :(. lol :p. If I only knew..

Let's get excited for the 9.0 but not to forget that Psychonauts scored high as well and bombed. I mean Majesco did publish it but yeah..it's a Tim's game. =/

remz

Square Triangle said:
Let's get excited for the 9.0 but not to forget that Psychonauts scored high as well and bombed. I mean Majesco did publish it but yeah..it's a Tim's game. =/
Psychonauts didn't star Jack Black, and wasn't about heavy metal.

Haunted

Mar_ said:

Think Pikmin. Or Overlord. That's the kind of RTS we're talking about here.

MMaRsu said:
So many cool songs on the soundtrack.. I don't know many because I'm not a metal head but I feel I should be with this fucking awesome music and guitar solo's and riffs.

IMGhttp://i36.tinypic.com/301qcxt.jpg/IMG
son of a bitch!

CultureClearance said:
No, it says there is more tearing.

Something's telling me that the way the demo ran and was compressed, you won't be able to legitimately compare anything till after release.
Yeah, that's totally possible. Maybe the retail will run differently. Even so, I only have the two demos to compare for myself and the pre-order decision had to be made before release. Maybe the PS3 version will be up to snuff, but I'm pretty sure I won't get the worse version, at least. :p

Top Bottom