• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BRÜTAL LEGEND official thread of umlauts and schaferian awesomeness

Sephon

Square Triangle said:
Omg there is no jump button, I didn't notice that in the demo.

I don't want to feel like I'm playing Perfect Dark Zero ahhh!

Didn't even realise that you couldn't jump until I read about it here, so it's no biggie. You can do jumping attacks and have a bad-ass car instead. So there's nothing important lost.

wRATH2x

Banned
Well Saudi Arabia get it around the same time as europe and some times even earlier, I'll be going there in like 5 minutes. Hope I'll find it.

Sephon said:
If you were serious, I'd really want to slap you with a glove.

hahahah... im not being serious, just going to show how stupid it is for people to compare this game to PDZ just because of the fact that you cant jump.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
YuriLowell said:
hahahah... im not being serious, just going to show how stupid it is for people to compare this game to PDZ just because of the fact that you cant jump.

Well it is kind of retarded that you can't bunnyhop across the landscape. I mean, who would want to ride The Deuce when you got jumpjumpjumpjump?

YuriLowell said:

I wasn't comparing the two games at all. I just hated the feeling of not being able to jump in PDZ.

Kifimbo

Oh, IGN...

neorej said:
So true, this is Overlord-style RTS.

Come to think of it, this game is what Overlord should and could have been. Just with Metal added to it. And extra awesomesauce directly from Jack Black and Tim Schafer.

Do not expect as much controls over your minions in Brutal Legend. In Overlord (and Pikmin IIRC), you could move your creatures with the right stick. Here, since it's an open-world game, the right stick helps you controlling the camera.

Omg there is no jump button, I didn't notice that in the demo.

Yeah, at first it's kind on annoying, but the world was created so you wouldn't really need to jump. Anyway, your car is a much better jumping machine.

modeps

Neo Member
I read IGN's review... it seems they left a lot out and really don't talk much about the gameplay. Also, interesting that they posted this today instead of tomorrow like everyone else will... most of the time, IGN writes like 4+ page reviews for their high profile titles, but this one is 2 pages.

modeps said:
I read IGN's review... it seems they left a lot out and really don't talk much about the gameplay. Also, interesting that they posted this today instead of tomorrow like everyone else will... most of the time, IGN writes like 4+ page reviews for their high profile titles, but this one is 2 pages.
then they must be hiding something.

modeps

Neo Member
BobTheFork said:
then they must be hiding something.

Maybe, maybe not.. but I don't get a complete sense of the game from this review (considering I've played it). The score just seems a little high for me as well... but I'm sure that's just personal taste. Maybe Damon is just a huge Schafer fan and will rate it high no matter what?

fireb0x

Neo Member
modeps said:

This is the exact same thing I thought. It seemed so general and vague. Most games they give 9.0+ ratings to get like 4-5 page reviews. This one only has 2 and it was the first thing I noticed. Even IGN AU's is only 2 pages. This, combined with the fact they talk about how the game gets repetetive makes me thing there is some things being left out.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Thought you could trick us into liking your game so easily Doublefine? Well we're not so gullible. We've already uncovered that there's something fishy about the IGN review!!

fireb0x

Neo Member
Zoso said:
Thought you could trick us into liking your game so easily Doublefine? Well we're not so gullible. We've already uncovered that there's something fishy about the IGN review!!

What fishy things will we find next!?

glaurung

DoubleFines hacked the IGN website?

Oh noes, is it the same as Metal Gear Triologies?

*waits for the inevitable 3.8 review from true IGN 'tards.

Kifimbo

BTW, the IGN reviews is terrible. They do not explain the gameplay at all. The RTS sections are not explained at all. You do you attack ? How do you defend ? How many units ? What do they do in battle ? Did they mention Riggs can
fly
in battle ? What about the guitar solos.

Ho doesn't even explained what are the sidequests ?

It almost feels like he couldn't go into details.

Kifimbo said:
BTW, the IGN reviews is terrible. They do not explain the gameplay at all. The RTS sections are not explained at all. You do you attack ? How do you defend ? How many units ? What do they do in battle ? Did they mention Riggs can
fly
in battle ? What about the guitar solos.

Ho doesn't even explained what are the sidequests ?

It almost feels like he couldn't go into details.
Perhabs he couldn't...or he just rushed it, that was the feeling I got...No really details or impressions of certain parts. Just general facts.

YuriLowell said:
I dont see how PDZ relates to Brutal Legend at all.

facepalm-1.gif

Zoso said:
I can't believe it, Tim's evil plan has been revealed! First IGN & now X-play. You won't get away with it this time Tim Schafer!!!
There's one tiny problem. If this message is in the sold copies as well we can't trust anyone who writes anything positive about it...

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
DieNgamers said:
There's one tiny problem. If this message is in the sold copies as well we can't trust anyone who writes anything positive about it...
OH
MY
GOD... can i even trust myself?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
DieNgamers said:

The upside though: we'll all love it no matter what!

Uncle

Kifimbo said:
Do not expect as much controls over your minions in Brutal Legend. In Overlord (and Pikmin IIRC), you could move your creatures with the right stick. Here, since it's an open-world game, the right stick helps you controlling the camera.

I always found the stick control to be a bit annoying. It makes controlling the minions (as well as your character since you can't control the camera anymore) more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Kifimbo

Uncle said:
I always found the stick control to be a bit annoying. It makes controlling the minions (as well as your character since you can't control the camera anymore) more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Do you think the D-Pad is better ?

Uncle

Kifimbo said:
Do you think the D-Pad is better ?

I think that giving commands like "go there" is better than actually having to control the characters all the way. Well I guess it depends on the AI, but I haven't seen any complaints yet.

Damnit MMarsu or whatever your name is. Everyone's getting this game before the Bucket.
I can't wait until the weekend when I can really devote some excellent time in the game, but man do I want to play me more of this awesome game.

Spasm

Has anyone's Best Buy order shipped yet? I'm starting to think that I'm not going to get it on release day, which sucks, but I couldn't pass up the B1G1HO.

LQX

Its kind of fucked up more reviews of the game are not up yet. Not much use complaining though as Amazon already shipped my order so I cant cancel it even if I wanted to.

RPGCrazied

no, just confused.

cuz I asked tim about it a couple days ago(onthespot demo, they picked my question)it would take 15hours, and more if you did other things.

Maybe he didnt want to blurt out 6hours?

Eric WK

So a bunch of morons whose only intent was to beat (not finish or complete) the game as quick as possible were able to do so in five hours.

Who gives a shit? Is that how you play games?

Pachinko

Isn't it a good thing if it's a 5-10 hour awesome experience? That way if you really wanted you could go buy it new to support EA , play through it in a few days and be done with it and finally trade it off for something else if you're that annoyed at the length.

Psychonaughts wasn't exactly the longest game on earth either (maybe 10 hours) but I didn't find the quality was hampered due that fact.

Eric WK said:
So a bunch of morons whose only intent was to beat (not finish or complete) the game as quick as possible were able to do so in five hours.

This happens for many releases, some jackass who pirates the game or obtains it early rushes through as fast as possible just to be the first to say 'i beat it'.

I def plan on savoring this game, especially considering how much work went into the environments and atmosphere

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Eric WK said:

Good or bad, this is how a lot of people "finish" games actually. Before working at Gamestop, I wouldn't have believed it. After? I believe it 100%. Not everyone cares to "savor" video games and will probably accidentally beat it sooner than they thought unless side missions are spoon fed to them (no clue if they are. =x).

I don't know how people can play through games like that...They don't even take their time to experience 60% (or whatever) of the work that went into this game. *shakeshead*

Darklord

Banned
Kintaro said:
Good or bad, this is how a lot of people "finish" games actually. Before working at Gamestop, I wouldn't have believed it. After? I believe it 100%. Not everyone cares to "savor" video games and will probably accidentally beat it sooner than they thought unless side missions are spoon fed to them (no clue if they are. =x).

So to most people Fallout 3 was like 5 hours long? :\

methos75

Banned
fireb0x said:
This is the exact same thing I thought. It seemed so general and vague. Most games they give 9.0+ ratings to get like 4-5 page reviews. This one only has 2 and it was the first thing I noticed. Even IGN AU's is only 2 pages. This, combined with the fact they talk about how the game gets repetetive makes me thing there is some things being left out.

well the Uncharted 2 review is only two pages also, i think IGN is just getting lazy.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Darklord said:
So to most people Fallout 3 was like 5 hours long? :\

I got a lot complaints about it when it came out, yeah. Fallout was odd since you tripped over side missions everywhere though. Fallout 3 had a lot of "rebuys" at my location. People would beat it, go WTF. Come back in later after they heard they missed a bunch of crap and then the xpacs stated coming in.

It's the double edged sword of "open worlds". A lot of people don't give a shit and go from A to B unless said open world slaps them around with quests/missions everywhere.

syllogism

Could it be the optional stuff just isn't very compelling. It's not an RPG so it's easy to see how the side "quests" (sounds like there isn't much variety) might get old quick.

Top Bottom