• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BRÜTAL LEGEND official thread of umlauts and schaferian awesomeness

Eric WK said:
So a bunch of morons whose only intent was to beat (not finish or complete) the game as quick as possible were able to do so in five hours.

Who gives a shit? Is that how you play games?

Seriously. Ignorant gamers latching on some random claim of game being 6 hrs long are just stupid.

jett

D-Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
Isn't that the story with any open world game? You can just blaze through it for the story or take your time and enjoy yourself.

It's not really an open/do-anything world like GTA, is it? Isn't it more like a Zelda game? I just realized don't really know this game works. Are there dungeons and shit?

6 hours IS kinda short/disappointing for the storyline portion of the game though...even by Schaferian standards. Pretty sure Grim Fandango took me longer than that.

If a game has a clear objective in which you play from point a to b, then no matter how open world you make it, players will often just go to point b immediately and ignore the rest.

Friend did do the Fallout 3 thing and beat it in under 9 hours and was all pissed off at how easy it was if you went straight through the main story objectives. I didn't try to do this simply because I figured it was a bad idea and not really possible without leet skills so I did other things to grind and get loot, so I took over 35 hours. But now I see how easy it was and that the game made it way too easy.

If they want the game to seem longer for most people they have to put enough detours when going from point A to B.

Even if there wasn't a single sidequest I would explore every inch of the landscape just to see everything and get all the references. \m/ (In SotC I spent hours just riding through the planes and collect those fruits, if that's saying something... :D ) Or be sadistic and test multiple ways of killing hairmetal guys. :lol

BattleMonkey said:
If a game has a clear objective in which you play from point a to b, then no matter how open world you make it, players will often just go to point b immediately and ignore the rest.

Friend did do the Fallout 3 thing and beat it in under 9 hours and was all pissed off at how easy it was if you went straight through the main story objectives. I didn't try to do this simply because I figured it was a bad idea and not really possible without leet skills so I did other things to grind and get loot, so I took over 35 hours. But now I see how easy it was and that the game made it way too easy.

If they want the game to seem longer for most people they have to put enough detours when going from point A to B.

Then people will complain there is not enough content for side missions in open world game. It's pretty much clear how open world games are going to be in future due to cost and time.

This is becoming more and more common. If you're one of those who goes A to B, stop buying open world games. It will not be as long as you're expecting.

MirageDwarf said:
Then people will complain there is not enough content for side missions in open world game. It's pretty much clear how open world games are going to be in future due to cost and time.

This is becoming more and more common. If you're one of those who goes A to B, stop buying open world games. It will not be as long as you're expecting.

Or it's simply a case that it shouldn't be so simple to let a person go from point A to B. Just because a game is considered open world does not mean that a player should be able to bypass so much of the game and just have it end.

Best example would be with many RPG's, especially older open world settings. You often have a clear cut path to go but you know what? You would likely fail if you just went straight to point B, as you had to work on your character, gather items, do some other quests, etc to be able to have a chance to get to B....

It's more of a failure in the idea that you let the players do whatever they want while having an easy path to take. Many will just take the easy path if it's clearly visible.

MirageDwarf said:

Agreed,

Well, it sure as hell doesn't make it a x hour game becaue you can blow through it in that time.
The game even has multiplayer and people are still bitching.
And please stop the "6 hour" thing...IGN did not mention how long it actually was. It was "a little short." True or not, stop spreading rumors. We will know soon enough how long it really is.

BattleMonkey said:
Or it's simply a case that it shouldn't be so simple to let a person go from point A to B. Just because a game is considered open world does not mean that a player should be able to bypass so much of the game and just have it end.

Best example would be with many RPG's, especially older open world settings. You often have a clear cut path to go but you know what? You would likely fail if you just went straight to point B, as you had to work on your character, gather items, do some other quests, etc to be able to have a chance to get to B....

It's more of a failure in the idea that you let the players do whatever they want while having an easy path to take. Many will just take the easy path if it's clearly visible.

Don't understand the basic concepts of a true open world games, do ya?

One word - freedom. If you exercise it, don't bitch about it. If you willfully try to blow past an open world game, do not bitch about how you blew through it. If you take your blessed time, don't bitch about the game being too long. It's your call.

Kifimbo

While it's hard to say exactly how many hours I played (solo only), I think 18-20 hours is a good estimate and I'm at 96%.

BattleMonkey said:

Depends. In some, probably most, open world games the main quests are way better than the sidequests. Mass Effect is a great 15 hour game if you just go through the main quest.

If Mass Effect forced you to play through the billions of horrible sidequests, it would be an extremely repetitive and tedious 40 hour game. The good parts would be outnumbered by the filler so much that it wouldn't be nearly as good.

That's the good thing about open world games, they let you decide what sidequests you want to do, and when.

CultureClearance said:
Don't understand the basic concepts of a true open world games, do ya?

One word - freedom. If you exercise it, don't bitch about it. If you willfully try to blow past an open world game, do not bitch about how you blew through it. If you take your blessed time, don't bitch about the game being too long. It's your call.

I understand the concept of open world, your just accepting what is being given to you. Open world gaming has been around a LONG LONG time, and just because you are given freedom does not mean you should be allowed to beat a game in a handful of hours.

Fallout 3 is a great example of how they took the classic open world design of an RPG, and just screwed it all up by making it too easy.

If the game truly offered freedom, then it would let me do whatever the hell I pleased but even then these games don't, and put up invisible gaming walls. I can't go to point Z without going through B, C, D, E, etc, so wheres my freedom? The game already puts artificial story walls in front of your progression, so why not put in some more to bolster the games general length and difficulty?

MMOs are a perfect example in which giant open worlds are created, but the player base will simply ignore much of it because they are out for a sense of accomplishment. This is where the idea of carrot on a stick comes in with MMO design as players are used to incentives to get them to do other things in the game instead of trying to rush through it to get to whatever main achievement the game offers.

Vercingetorix said:
Depends. In some, probably most, open world games the main quests are way better than the sidequests. Mass Effect is a great 15 hour game if you just go through the main quest.

Yes but that's still a decent length and even doing other things in the game offered incentive to players that would attract them away from the main quests.

BattleMonkey said:

I get your point but that's where time and cost come in picture. Current state of game development is radically different than old days. That's why we see very few open world games each year with longer main story line + tons of equally interesting side missions.

Point is make informed purchase and save yourself from feeling bad for wasting money. By now people should have general idea about what to expect from current open world games. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about you specifically. Making general statements here.

MMaRsu

Banned
jett said:
It's not really an open/do-anything world like GTA, is it? Isn't it more like a Zelda game? I just realized don't really know this game works. Are there dungeons and shit?

6 hours IS kinda short/disappointing for the storyline portion of the game though...even by Schaferian standards. Pretty sure Grim Fandango took me longer than that.

The game is only six hours if you like rush through it on easy. Who the fuck plays like that.

I'm really taking my time, enjoying the scenery and taking in the awesome music/dynamic weather system and so much more. I've already unlocked a bunch of new combo moves too so yeah..

The game is great, and even though I haven't played that long yet ( a couple of hours ) I still have only played a few story missions so far and I just love the game man. Shit it's awesome.

Just sitting in your car and listening to the awesome soundtrack is cool too :p. How awesome is it when it's fucking raining and thundering orange lightning and you got metal in your car woohoooo

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Swung by a local toystore this evening after work and they got Brütal Legend. In the store window. So close yet so far away...
Will use my lunchbreak tomorrow to pick it up, I'll set it on my desk and whenever someone says "what's that?" I'll scream in a metalvoice "BRÜTAL LEGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEND!!!!!"

I beat Arkham Asylum by rushing through Hard in a little over 4 hours I think and skipping cutscenes. People need to take their tampons out and enjoy the experience first before they do a speedrun or achievement run. Srsly.

My only thought is that they embargo'd reviews to get a hot buzz to undermine Uncharted 2.

Zeliard

BattleMonkey said:

This is a hallmark of some of the greatest RPGs ever, like Fallout 1.

Zeliard said:
This is a hallmark of some of the greatest RPGs ever, like Fallout 1.
Fallout is excellent and the fact that you are trapped suited the story's need of being a vault escapee.
This is a fun metal world, I don't really buy that complaint for this game. Fallout is about survival.

This game is about a fun interactive experience. Would be kinda douchey to interrupt the fun with tons of extremely tough mutants.
Also BL is trying to be more accessible to non-hardcore gamers, RPGs are typically extremely hardcore, niche games for a specific audience.

Zeliard

Buckethead said:
Fallout is excellent and the fact that you are trapped suited the story's need of being a vault escapee.
This is a fun metal world, I don't really buy that complaint for this game. Fallout is about survival.

This game is about a fun interactive experience. Would be kinda douchey to interrupt the fun with tons of extremely tough mutants.
Also BL is trying to be more accessible to non-hardcore gamers, RPGs are typically extremely hardcore, niche games for a specific audience.

Hm? I'm limiting that comparison to what the guy posted, which is that an open-world game should somehow disallow you from quickly going to the end if you feel like it.

That would totally defeat the purpose. Freedom is freedom and freedom is good.

Zeliard said:
Hm? I'm limiting that comparison to what the guy posted, which is that an open-world game should somehow disallow you from quickly going to the end if you feel like it.

Yep, its the whole point of an open world game. Forcing people to do sidequests beats the whole point of sidequests in the first place.

Fable II was pretty bad for this, they padded the main quest by saying "do a bunch of sidequests if you want to continue on the main quest!"

Zeliard said:

If it was true freedom there would be zero limitations or game play standing in the way of a person from finishing the game. No open world game gives you true freedom, they all have restrictions, and even force you to do many things. To what extent greatly depends on the game itself but obviously sometimes games will cheese a person off when they somehow beat it in a couple hours when they thought they were just doing what they were supposed to be doing.

It's up to the player to decide what to do, but as I was saying originally lot of people are just not going to give a damn, they will just go straight to the end, finish, and hate on the game.

And no I'm not saying to force players to do side quests.

Loudninja

MEGamers review 9.2
There were only a few occasional times where the game played up a bit, either stuttering during a cutscene or not properly aligning the camera, but these are mere blemishes on what is otherwise a must-play game. The side missions may give you extra points, but they don’t always offer much originality, so you can give them a skip if you like. But that aside, Brutal Legends is just too good a game to not get a great reception from gamers. The combination of adventure, RTS, and guitar ripping solos make this an absolute must buy when it comes out.

http://megamers.tbreak.com/5606/reviews/brutal-legend-review.html

I think there is a spoiler pic at the bottm of the review.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
to sum up the "hot-blooded gamer" review for the lazy: the reviewer seemed to really like the world-design and everything, but found the RTS and general gameplay to be lacklustre.

if you're not a massive tone/world whore like me, you might want to give it a read.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
megamers said:
But that aside, Brutal Legends is just too good a game to not get a great reception from gamers.

It's Brutal Legend, not Legends.

God damn do I hate pluralizers.

A good chunk of Batman AA was collecting riddler trophies and solving riddles, yet no one gives it any shit and have already hailed it GOTY.

Mass Effect could be beaten pretty quickly if you skipped all the sidequests, yet my first playthrough was about 40 hours.

You can beat Fallout's and Oblivion's main quests in less than 15 hours, yet I personally know people who have logged well over 100 hours in both those games.

Hell, even the benchmark of open world games, GTAIV, only had a few standout side missions.

The optional content is there for people who enjoy the game and wan't to get the most out of it. I can easily see myself spending a good 20 hours doing everything in this game. I don't get how main quest length has suddenly and hypocritically become GAF's barometer for a quality game experience. I understand the complaints about the core gameplay, but I think some people are going out of their way to troll this game.

Nose Master

Yeesh, the RTS "meat" of the gameplay is absolutely fucking atrocious. Everything except the gameplay is pretty superb, however. Open world GTA style, but there's only 5-6 or so side mission types that you repeat at different areas. The main missions are fairly varied, but that also gives them excuse to not be polished at all. Because you're always doing something new!

The best part of this game is just driving around finding shit in the world. I can not stress enough how awful the RTS shit is.

It's definitely a lot shorter than you guys seem to realize. Ten hours would be a fair estimate, including fucking around. It's pretty impossible to die, even on Normal.

MMaRsu

Banned
Nose Master said:
Yeesh, the RTS "meat" of the gameplay is absolutely fucking atrocious. Everything except the gameplay is pretty superb, however. Open world GTA style, but there's only 5-6 or so side mission types that you repeat at different areas. The main missions are fairly varied, but that also gives them excuse to not be polished at all. Because you're always doing something new!

The best part of this game is just driving around finding shit in the world. I can not stress enough how awful the RTS shit is.

It's definitely a lot shorter than you guys seem to realize. Ten hours would be a fair estimate, including fucking around. It's pretty impossible to die, even on Normal.

Not

Who plays on normal btw.. this game is all about Brutal so play Brutal. I've died a couple of times already :p.

K' Dash

I got it, Im playing it and I gotta say, the open world graphics are impressive, of course the game has it's technical problems, framerate drops are when you move the camera fast or there's much shit going on, and pop up too, a little bit of tearing here an there but nothing we haven't seen in this kind of games.

There are power ups for your guitar all over the world, I've found some, you can choose when to do missions so you can enjoy yourself the world or do some side missions, the ones I've done are a la Banjo-Kazooie, little tasks, races and stuff like that, and of course the shop where you can buy stuff and upgrades.

And one of the most original things are
that you gradually get the in game music from some statues you have to awake, the more you awake the more varied will be the music, 1 statue unlocks 1 new track

I tried to be as general as possible without spoilering, please tell me if I have to tag something else.

Nose Master said:

This is what I was worried the game might be like. I was hoping the RTS and melee combat wouldn't be the focus.

Vercingetorix said:
This is what I was worried the game might be like. I was hoping the RTS and melee combat wouldn't be the focus.
I can understand not thinking the RTS would be the meat, but if you left out that and the melee combat, what did you hope would be left to do?

K' Dash

Vercingetorix said:

RTS is VERY simple AND it gets it's aditions as the game progresses, not in the term of instructions, but in another areas, concerning the core game just don't go all linear doing just the storyline missions, EXPLORING the world is very important as is doing side missions, make sure you explore a portion of the world between missions, you'll find it REWARDING.

MutFox

Banned
6 hours?
Awesome!

I love games that are short and not repetitive.
(Hopefully those 5-6 hours are not repetitive)

K' Dash said:
RTS is VERY simple AND it gets it's aditions as the game progresses, not in the term of instructions, but in another areas, concerning the core game just don't go all linear doing just the storyline missions, EXPLORING the world is very important as is doing side missions, make sure you explore a portion of the world between missions, you'll find it REWARDING.

I wish I could find your capital letters reassuring :(

Mar

I hate every single person who complains about a games length. You contribute nothing to gaming other than being whiny ass bitches. You give publishers the retarded idea that they need to fill their games with absolute crap to pad out an awesome game with boring hour upon hour of rubbish.

Please, die in a fire.

Regards,

Mar.

Mar_ said:
I hate every single person who complains about a games length. You contribute nothing to gaming other than being whiny ass bitches. You give publishers the retarded idea that they need to fill their games with absolute crap to pad out an awesome game with boring hour upon hour of rubbish.

Please, die in a fire.

Regards,

Mar.
I bet you haven't played this game! :D

It's still great, just a bit disappointing. If this was mainstream forum I wouldn't complain because I want this game to do well. But here everyone has already made up his mind...

sciplore

dasupremeone said:
who else just got their jack black gamestop call?

Me, kinda creepy and I swore it sounded more like some guy gamestop hired to sound like jack black than the real one.

Still hyped for this game though, I remember Assassin's Creed got a lot of negative reviews but I still loved it.

Doytch

roman2003h said:
I bet you haven't played this game! :D

It's still great, just a bit disappointing. If this was mainstream forum I wouldn't complain because I want this game to do well. But here everyone has already made up his mind...
What the fuck does that have to do with the length? People complaining about length are just what he said, whiny bitches. Sure they could make you do every single level backwards after you just finished it (NOW WITH TWEAKED LIGHTING!), but it's fucking lame and there's no reason for it other than to placate said bitches.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mar_ said:

Please, die in a fire.

Regards,

Mar.
I wouldn't say this game is filler free from what I've seen though.

Top Bottom