• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (3DS) - Demo Vol1 on 2/29, demo series announced

Wiz

I'm still waiting for my Theatrhythm import to ship. >:/

I think the "Final Fantasy Dimensions" title is more likely for Theatrhythm than Bravely Default though. Unless "Final Fantasy Dimensions" turns out to be a heading for multiple titles like "Crystal Chronicles" has.

I still want a Crystal Chronicles game that's similar to the original Crystal Chronicles on GameCube. You hear me, Squeenix?!

Lucky you. It's times like these when I wish there wasn't any region locking. :/

As for the title. I think Theatrhythm would make more sense based upon what type of game it is, while FF Dimensions might end up being an entirely different project.

I was forever alone in Crystal Chronicles so I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

angelfly

Really looking forward to this. I'm glad that after what the Theatrhythm demo did, SE is realizing the power a demo can have on sales.

I really am not concerned about this game getting a US release; one way or another they'll slap the FF name on it and put it out here.

Theatrhythm doesn't actually need to be renamed for US release, though (given that they already put Dissidia out here without a title change) whereas Bravely Default does. And "FF Dimensions" is a perfectly suitable and descriptive title for a game that's a turn-based RPG but very much not for a game that's a music/rhythm game.

In this case, naming the game Bravely Default did not make sense.

Why's that?

Right now Final Fantasy has this stigma attached to it where most people think all the games are inherently bad and leads to whining of "oh another final fantasy". I feel pretty confident that if Bravely Default came out as is and was called Final Fantasy ______ it would be hated more by GAF just because it has final fantasy slapped on it.

Boney

Banned
Why's that?

Well for starters I think it's smart for SE to be able to groom out a new series in the states. It certainly gives out that's the intention for japan, who knows if they'll succeed or not.

It'd also get rid of any localization baggage this particular game or the series might have, having to alude to elements from the FF franchise whenever possible.

I mean, it's not detrimental for my purchase or anything, but it'd be nice for it to be able to stand on it's own legs instead of relying on the FF name. Plus, if it's introduced as a spinoff, that might put a sales roof on it.

Man it's not the early-to-mid 90s anymore, consumers can accept a JRPG with a batshit dumb name instead of calling it "Final Fantasy But Not Really."

Bullshots?

I would love for the game to have anywhere near that level of AA.

Either way, these screens look much better than the last ones I've seen. I must say I'm eagerly anticipating this game, and importers' impressions.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Surprised people are worried they won't bring it out over here. Square's usually pretty good about that stuff, and they don't have much representation on the 3DS currently.

I mean, ffs, they put out that crappy Lords of Arcana game on PSP over here

Eusis

What was the last JRPG not called Final Fantasy that did 250k in the US?
Dragon Quest IX. However, Square Enix has notably NOT renamed anything to Final Fantasy since the early 90s, it's harder to pass off an unrelated game as being FF now than it was then, and frankly even the FF name doesn't guarantee it'd break 250k or whatever arbitrary number you use, only hyped mainline installments do that. Most likely the name will remain the same or be changed to something no one expects, like Dewprism to Threads of Fate.

Toth

Dragon Quest IX. However, Square Enix has notably NOT renamed anything to Final Fantasy since the early 90s, it's harder to pass off an unrelated game as being FF now than it was then, and frankly even the FF name doesn't guarantee it'd break 250k or whatever arbitrary number you use, only hyped mainline installments do that. Most likely the name will remain the same or be changed to something no one expects, like Dewprism to Threads of Fate.

Well to be fair, DQ9 did so well here because Nintendo heavily advertised it.

sfried

This is done by Matrix Software right?
4f4b1ac8_Bravely-Default-Flying-Fairy-Agnes-%20Oblige-Artwork.png
Hot but still respectable. Glad it doesn't have "Nomura" finished to the character design.

KingK

This game looks great. Hopefully it ends up being good, because I'm really hoping the 3DS and Vita end up being JRPG heaven like the DS and PSP were.

around his back in a old man pose

This may be off topic, but do you create levels in LittleBigPlanet? I seem to recall playing some awesome levels by a person named "jump_button."

Well, naming it that specifically didn't make sense in any context, but I do think the idea has something to it that in Japan the weakness of the FF brand is worth fighting by making a "new IP" while in the US it's still better to leech off the brand.

What was the last JRPG not called Final Fantasy that did 250k in the US?

Dark Souls? Lost Odyssey? Dragon Quest IX? Persona 3? Star Ocean 4, even?

The Last Remnant

Nope.

it's harder to pass off an unrelated game as being FF now than it was then

Let's not maintain the polite fiction of this being an "unrelated game" now. It's the sequel to Final Fantasy: 4 Warriors of Light; it's got an "FF" in the title to hint at it; it only has a different name in the first place because Square-Enix recognizes that the FF brand is in a rut in Japan.

duckroll

Ah. Gamasutra doesn't specify and Kotaku say sales... Misleading.

They're sales for Square Enix. They sell them to retail. Publishers are less interested with actual consumer sales, but what they can sell to retailers since that's their business.

Did it not reach 250k or was it not the last one to do so?

It definitely didn't reach 250k. Last time we saw any data on it in the US it wasn't close to that, and Square-Enix overshipped in every region to hit that 580k worldwide.

Though I guess it's always possible that they sold somewhere between 50,000 and 150,000 copies of the game to US customers on Steam at $40-50 a pop, lulz.

Emitan

It definitely didn't reach 250k. Last time we saw any data on it in the US it wasn't close to that, and Square-Enix overshipped in every region to hit that 580k worldwide.

Though I guess it's always possible that they sold somewhere between 50,000 and 150,000 copies of the game to US customers on Steam at $40-50 a pop, lulz.

I own it on 360 and Steam. I'm sure everyone did the same!

KuroNeeko

They're not changing the title. As far as I know, they debated it when the initial criticism came out on announcement, but I'm pretty sure the people with the authority to change the name like it as is.

As far as I know, the team that made this is not the same as the one that made 4WOL.

hatchx

Banned
All this talk of names.....Bravely Default was starting to grow on me.

If I interpret 'default' as if failing to make payment (ie: default on a loan), it starts to make sense.

Bravely default. I'm going to bravely default on my bank loan....

....and fight a bunch of dragons and stuff too.

Eusis

Let's not maintain the polite fiction of this being an "unrelated game" now. It's the sequel to Final Fantasy: 4 Warriors of Light; it's got an "FF" in the title to hint at it; it only has a different name in the first place because Square-Enix recognizes that the FF brand is in a rut in Japan.
Admittedly avoiding calling it Final Fantasy in Japan is the only way I could buy them deciding to rename it here, in which case it's more of a Japan rename. Still, it's not as if FF is in the best of places here either, and depending on how distanced they keep it in-game I can see them not wanting to call it FF anywhere. Maybe the intent even IS to create a not-Final Fantasy, something that goes back to a more traditional fantasy style than where the series went in the PS1 then PS2 days.
They're not changing the title. As far as I know, they debated it when the initial criticism came out on announcement, but I'm pretty sure the people with the authority to change the name like it as is.
And the name's more of an issue for outside of Japan (which they haven't announced anything for just yet) than there. Most likely they considered it, immediately wrote off renaming it in Japan, and plan for a new title for international release.

StuBurns

Banned
The only thing Final Fantasy really means is a game from Square Enix with more polish than their second tier stuff. It's not an identifier of content or genre.

The name for this game is so terrible that it would hurt sales, and I'd be surprised if the game is so bad SE don't feel it 'deserves' the name.

StuBurns

Banned
This is going to sound racist, or like a bad joke. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's meant to be 'Bravery' and they get the l mixed up.

Eusis

The only thing Final Fantasy really means is a game from Square Enix with more polish than their second tier stuff. It's not an identifier of content or genre.

The name for this game is so terrible that it would hurt sales, and I'd be surprised if the game is so bad SE don't feel it 'deserves' the name.
Well, there's traditionally chocobos, returning monsters, a specific magic naming system... They vary so wildly that what you say IS essentially true, but you dump enough of those and it's just another SE RPG at that point.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, there's traditionally chocobos, returning monsters, a specific magic naming system... They vary so wildly that what you say IS essentially true, but you dump enough of those and it's just another SE RPG at that point.
Are there chocobos in 4WoL? I don't remember any. And it's not like they're only in FF either, they're in the Mana games too. I don't think they're an indication of a Final Fantasy, they just appear more frequently in them.

StuBurns

Banned
Agreed.

The designs that Final Fantasy has these days are dumb as hell looking. The Bravely Default designs are classy, yet still sexy.
It's stunning that default Serah is so bad a girl from a pop group can design a better outfit.

I do like all the Versus and Type-0 designs though.

Top Bottom