• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Break Blade (anime) is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
The characters are rather prototypical, but I do like the way they're presenting the story and the relationships. Love the way the mechs are presented as giant armors versus fantastical extensions of the pilot's body, similar to Escaflowne for the most part. I just have an issue with the "guns" though. I see where they're going in regards to being more like a crossbow, but the long range weapons lack that impact. The Alseides Guymelefs in Escaflowne had a much better kick with their long range weapons.

xemumanic

This is one of the best mecha series I've seen. But I get the impression a lot of questions about why things are how they are won't ever get answered......like where the Delphine came from? And why only Rygart can pilot it? And why isn't he able to manipulate quartz like why everyone else? And for that matter, why can anyone do that?

Looks like this series is more about resolving the situation at hand than eventually answering these questions.

xemumanic said:
This is one of the best mecha series I've seen. But I get the impression a lot of questions about why things are how they are won't ever get answered......like where the Delphine came from? And why only Rygart can pilot it? And why isn't he able to manipulate quartz like why everyone else? And for that matter, why can anyone do that?

Looks like this series is more about resolving the situation at hand than eventually answering these questions.
I'm sure the manga has addressed that in some form or fashion.

yencid

xemumanic said:
And why only Rygart can pilot it?
Because its the only person it detects as an ancestor of the makers of the Delphine. None of the ones that can manipulate quartz are recognized as ancestors. There was a line or two in the anime about it.

EDIT:
kuFER.png

NcZB1.png

1stStrike

Banned
They also mentioned how the mech was never designed for long-term use. It was pretty much made for a "one last mission" scenario, kind of like "this is our last hope and we don't expect you to survive the end of it" kind of mission.

X-Frame

So what is the release schedule like for future episodes? How much time in between releases?

And how many episodes will there be?

1stStrike

Banned
X-Frame said:
So what is the release schedule like for future episodes? How much time in between releases?

And how many episodes will there be?

So you didn't read any of my posts in this thread, including the OP? I not only mentioned the amount of episodes in the OP, but I also later posted the release schedule for the remaining episodes directly from the wiki. It's not like this thread is 16 pages long.

X-Frame

1stStrike said:
So you didn't read any of my posts in this thread, including the OP? I not only mentioned the amount of episodes in the OP, but I also later posted the release schedule for the remaining episodes directly from the wiki. It's not like this thread is 16 pages long.

My bad, sorry about that.

yencid

By the way episode 3 was the best episodes by far. The fighting specially. The Delphine stampeding like a bad ass motha fucka, Cleo fighting (hand to hand combat FTW) and other things that i wont mention for the people that haven't watched.

yencid said:
By the way episode 3 was the best episodes by far. The fighting specially. The Delphine stampeding like a bad ass motha fucka, Cleo fighting (hand to hand combat FTW) and other things that i wont mention for the people that haven't watched.
Just saw that episode. Beast Delphine is beast.

1stStrike

Banned
yencid said:

Yeah, "What is that?" BLAM lol. That shit was fucking crazy.

Ashes

Banned
When is the fourth part coming out?

edit: I've never heard op referreing to opening song before...
op:original poster in a forum.
Is this is also correct then?
op: opening song.

hteng

Banned
i watched the first 2 episodes. nothing special really, the pace is slow, lots of moments where character just stands there lost in thought. mecha actions aren't interesting (they shoot pencil leads and some idiot bringing a sword to a gunfight) and the mecha cockpit design is so stupid lol.

the schoolmates become enemies story has been done to death. the main character is borderingly close to being Jesus Kira, the chick is hot, the king is pretty layback, the serious dude is emo...etc.

1stStrike

Banned
hteng said:
i watched the first 2 episodes. nothing special really, the pace is slow, lots of moments where character just stands there lost in thought. mecha actions aren't interesting (they shoot pencil leads and some idiot bringing a sword to a gunfight) and the mecha cockpit design is so stupid lol.

the schoolmates become enemies story has been done to death. the main character is borderingly close to being Jesus Kira, the chick is hot, the king is pretty layback, the serious dude is emo...etc.

Yeah, plot development is boring. They should totally have more non-stop mech action with lasers and nuclear bombs. And the black golem should have wings and a giant gun that can blow up the moon. Totally.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Mecha designs look familiar. Kawamori-san?

Geneijin

1stStrike said:
I mean to ask, especially with the first post, how are you involved with Break Blade? Or are you just a super fan?
Just a big fan of it. I've been shouting about it in the seasonal anime threads here and there. I read the manga, became a fan, and then got excited about it even more when I heard the anime announcement. Plus, I'm also a huge fan of Yoshihisa Hirano (composer), so I feel inclined to enjoy it despite my qualms with the series.

MjFrancis

Downloading as we speak. I haven't checked out a new anime in, I don't know, two or three years? Those screenshots look beautiful, though, and the theme song didn't grate my eardrums as expected.

Hopefully I can squeeze some entertainment out of this one.

1stStrike

Banned
Geneijin said:
Just a big fan of it. I've been shouting about it in the seasonal anime threads here and there. I read the manga, became a fan, and then got excited about it even more when I heard the anime announcement. Plus, I'm also a huge fan of Yoshihisa Hirano (composer), so I feel inclined to enjoy it despite my qualms with the series.

Aha, I see. Well, consider me part of the fan club. I plan on reading the manga this week!

MjFrancis said:
Downloading as we speak. I haven't checked out a new anime in, I don't know, two or three years? Those screenshots look beautiful, though, and the theme song didn't grate my eardrums as expected.

Hopefully I can squeeze some entertainment out of this one.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The characters and story aren't original, but the way everything is presented and put together is well done IMO. They put a lot of emotion in it and the fight scenes are significant rather then just filler.

It has your typical Production I.G. insane animation quality, but the story is quite literally every other anime story ever made. Utterly mediocre in story, the characters are all meh except Sigyn who is fanservice central, and the voice acting is passable but as average as the story. The animation is certainly fantastic and you'll get all the eye candy you can handle but quite honestly the story bored me to tears. The OP is fantastic though, if the actual content was as good as the OP we would be getting somewhere.

Suairyu

Banned
xemumanic said:

Well a lot of your questions aren't important. Rygart is simply born with a genetic (we assume) defect that prevents him from manipulating quartz. The Delphine was a last-ditch super weapon from an Ancient civilisation - it only recognises Rygart because the Ancient people never had the genetic (we assume) ability to manipulate quartz.

It's like watching Clint Eastwood's/Sergio Lione Man With No Name trilogy and wanting to know the backstory for the man with no name. He just is, and any explanation that could be given would be completely superfluous to the story.

It's not like Escaflowne, where the mysteries of what Escaflowne was and where it came from were entirely central to the plot, but the creators ran out of funding so had to cut 10 episodes out of the running time and thus not get a chance to answer any of the questions.

I mean, an episode might make those mysteries about Rygart and Delphine completely relevant and important to the narrative arc of the characters and all that, but right now that just isn't the case.

Ashes

Banned
What would be among the better examples of this kind of anime? I noted somebody said guilty gear before.

And Production i.g., what's generally thought to be their best work(s)?

Max said:
"there's impact to each hit and you can almost feel it when a mech gets smashed to pieces."

Makes me miss Escaflowne. I should probably check this out
Oh God, yes. I never really liked the character design and parts of the story in Escaflowne, but the mech design and fights were awesome.
The first time when Van enters Escaflowne or when he goes berserk ... whoa

I'll definitely check this one out. I like I.G.'s work.

sturmdogg

I'll definitely check this out. The battles in the manga are very confusing, can't make out who is doing what to whom.

Jex

Unknown Soldier said:
It has your typical Production I.G. insane animation quality, but the story is quite literally every other anime story ever made. Utterly mediocre in story, the characters are all meh except Sigyn who is fanservice central, and the voice acting is passable but as average as the story. The animation is certainly fantastic and you'll get all the eye candy you can handle but quite honestly the story bored me to tears.
So what you're saying is that it's Stardust Memories/Five Star Stories (although obviously not as well animated as either of those)?

Wes

venison crêpe
Enjoying watching this a lot. As has been mentioned by others, I found the music and sound effects particularly good.

Grzi

Jexhius said:
Five Star Stories

Whoa Whoa, FSS (the manga) has an amazing story.
The anime is just an advertisement for the manga anyway.

Saw the third episode of Break Blade today, it was decent, definitely the best so far. The action scene was really well done.

1stStrike

Banned
Cloudy said:
Just saw ep 3. Sooooo good. Is the manga finished or ongoing?

It's still ongoing :( I got busy so haven't gotten to read it yet, but definitely over the next couple of days. I get shiny object syndrome every time I sit down on the PC though so it's hard for me to read while I'm on it lol.

And, yeah, episode 3 is fucking amazing. I can't wait for episode 4! *drools*

Jinaar

Well, I watched all three episodes so far. Big thumbs up! Really enjoy the story, even though it is cookie cutter, it manages to break thru that with having a rich backstory with the friendship quadfecta that invests you in the characters.

Great suggestion!

1stStrike

Banned
Jinaar said:
Well, I watched all three episodes so far. Big thumbs up! Really enjoy the story, even though it is cookie cutter, it manages to break thru that with having a rich backstory with the friendship quadfecta that invests you in the characters.

Great suggestion!

Glad you like it! And yeah, as you've said the story so far is cookie cutter, nothing new, but it executes it really well (and this is only the tip of the iceberg, really - there's a lot more in the manga, so many twists yet to come).

While I can definitely respect manga, I've never been able to replicate the excitement I've gotten from watching an anime in motion - and that especially goes for anime like this with mecha. This is something that needs to be seen in action IMO :)

1stStrike

Banned
Geneijin said:
Not going to spoil it, but those who've read the manga, be prepared for the preview of episode 5.

Episode 4 should be out and subbed here soon... so we'll just have to wait on 5 :x

Geneijin

1stStrike said:
Episode 4 should be out and subbed here soon... so we'll just have to wait on 5 :x
Have you caught up with the manga? The preview, not the PV, for 5 is interesting to say the least.

1stStrike

Banned
Geneijin said:
Have you caught up with the manga? The preview, not the PV, for 5 is interesting to say the least.

Not yet, I will eventually. I have like 5 manga's queued.

Oh and thanks for the heads up.

Those that are following Break Blade - episode 4 is out in 1080P. GO GO GO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom