• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Break Blade (anime) is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
kiunchbb said:
Man I just took a long break from anime, thanks for this thread I went back to it.

Yeah Break Blade is awesome, reminded me of the gundam in the good old day without all the teenager with their emotion problems.

I going to hate myself for watching this, since the manga isn't even complete, and there are no guarantee that the anime will catch up once the manga is finish.

If you read the manga it's pretty much done. Volume 51 just needs to be translated (if it's not already) and that should wrap it up, I think.

Also, there's not going to be any more episodes after 6. You'll have to read the manga to finish the rest.

shintoki said:
Actually Blade Break I is complete. Which is a bit baffling since they could have fit everything into these first 6 episodes.

Didn't like the change to Girge at all. No him vs all 4 of their commanders, no sad death saving Rygart. Fuck this shit.

Yeah man. After watching episode 5 and then reading the manga I was just like "holy shit, what a difference!" Made that part so much better after I knew how it was supposed to go down.

Also,
Rygart wearing Girge's uniform in the last chapter was pretty bad ass.

Jerk

Banned
Is this safe to watch?

I have not followed an action Anime in some time, and this looks like it is not completely awful (direction/animation-wise anyway).

1stStrike

Banned
Jerk said:
Is this safe to watch?

I have not followed an action Anime in some time, and this looks like it is not completely awful (direction/animation-wise anyway).

I wouldn't recommend an anime that wasn't worth watching. It's a total of 6 episodes (5 are out currently with the 6th out next month) and they're about an hour a piece. Well worth watching IMO.

Jerk

Banned
Wow, the first episode was actually really good (for anime).

Really, the only thing I had against it was the one fan service scene.

Also, is that Kokia I hear?

1stStrike

Banned
Jerk said:
Wow, the first episode was actually really good (for anime).

Really, the only thing I had against it was the one fan service scene.

Also, is that Kokia I hear?

Yep, Kokia did the OP. The title of the song is "Fate." It's one of my favorites.

I misread the topic title and thought it was a thread about Beyblade here. We just had a Beyblade thread in the gaming section while reminiscing about the awesome Beyblade thread from a few years ago.

Lyte Edge said:
QsQEI.png

Confusing.
That just Goddess Hitomi. Nothing fanservice-y about her.

After reading the impressions in ep. 5, I almost don't want to continue watching. I hate shows with main characters who lack common sense. It's just actions for the sake of drama at the expense of logic. To me, that kills whatever drama that was trying to be built up

Jerk

Banned
Perhaps I sped through the series too quickly, but the stupid 'idiot ball' moments during Ep 5 did not bother me that much.

Then again, I was never really watching this for the script; I am just glad it held back most of its suck until the end.

So I finally got around to watching this and it just reminded how much I hate pacifist main characters. In the first two episodes, I've found no redeeming qualities in him.

1stStrike

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
So I finally got around to watching this and it just reminded how much I hate pacifist main characters. In the first two episodes, I've found no redeeming qualities in him.

He gets over that pretty quickly in the 3rd ep, though he's not a straight up war monger or anything.

Utako

Banned
Just finished this.

The animation was great, but otherwise I was massively disappointed. The first episodes promise a complex plot in a world full of mysteries.

Instead, we see a hundred stereotypical relationships whiz by with barely any development nor resolution. The overall plot is small in scope and doesn't really go anywhere interesting.

The best thing to come out of this is, I'm sure, the Sigyn-Cleo hentai which is probably already coursing through the Internet by the bucketload.

Zyzyxxz

Utako said:
Just finished this.

The animation was great, but otherwise I was massively disappointed. The first episodes promise a complex plot in a world full of mysteries.

Instead, we see a hundred stereotypical relationships whiz by with barely any development nor resolution. The overall plot is small in scope and doesn't really go anywhere interesting.

The best thing to come out of this is, I'm sure, the Sigyn-Cleo hentai which is probably already coursing through the Internet by the bucketload.

Sign me up!

But seriously I should read the manga since it probably has more closure.

Wazzim

Banned
1stStrike said:
Not yet, I will eventually. I have like 5 manga's queued.

Oh and thanks for the heads up.

Those that are following Break Blade - episode 4 is out in 1080P. GO GO GO
Wait, what!?
This anime is 1080P? MUST WATCH

Dynedom

I hope they come back and revisit this property, maybe when the manga is finished.

It still has some of the best mech fights in recent anime. Perhaps even the best. I think it would fare better as a TV series (to help characters and relationships develop) but then you might lose the bigger budget (which most definitely helped the battle scenes and art).

*sigh*

The dub is TERRIBLE. And not "I prefer the original language" bad or "typical anime dub" bad I'm talking worst I've heard in years, maybe ever :(

I picked up the first two episodes on PSN so I'm stuck with it for now. Guess I need to buy the DVDs instead

Otherwise seems like a great show.

1stStrike

Banned
The dub is TERRIBLE. And not "I prefer the original language" bad or "typical anime dub" bad I'm talking worst I've heard in years, maybe ever :(

I picked up the first two episodes on PSN so I'm stuck with it for now. Guess I need to buy the DVDs instead

Otherwise seems like a great show.

This is why I just never do dubs. The quality is inconsistent and never sounds as good as the original.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So how good is this show? Better than say, Cowboy Bebop? Macross Frontier? Berserk? Evangellion? Now Then, Here and There?

1stStrike

Banned
So how good is this show? Better than say, Cowboy Bebop? Macross Frontier? Berserk? Evangellion? Now Then, Here and There?

The manga is better than the anime, but I still really enjoyed the anime. They had to change some things to make it fit into the time span of the anime, but it all (mostly) worked and the story was still good, IMO.

Also, if you enjoy giant robots with more impact and realism than say, Gundam, this would be up your alley.

Suairyu

Banned
Going in, you should realise that Break Blade is pulpy fantasy fun. It has super-clichéd characters, plot routes and sometimes appalling costume design for the sole purpose of fan service. It's most certainly not intelligent and doesn't want to be.

However, it's fun. The animation is good and the real weight and power of the mechs comes across superbly in a manner we haven't seen since Escaflowne.

So as good as something like Bebop? Not in a million years.
But worth your time? Absolutely. Switch your brain off and just lavish in the "omg this is AWESOME" of it all.

Just watched the first episode and liked it.

But I kept thinking that if the Celestial Being was here with their Gundams they would just slaughter everyone and their crappy robots :p
When I first saw the robots shooting I thought they were nails or something expecting some energy blast.

hteng

Banned

no where in league with what you mentioned except Macross Frontier, which is a shit show in the first place anyway, so i guess they are on par. The fights are entertaining i guess, but it's utterly ridiculous how some of the tactics are utilized. edit out lol, i replied to this thread earlier with the same exact impression lol.

the story felt incomplete, the rivalries were never settled, characters seem to just come and go, much of the background info isn't explained as well.

1stStrike

Banned
If you want the full (and better) story experience, read the manga. They had to change things a bit for the anime in order to make it fit into the limited amount of episodes they had. The manga is more cohesive and makes more sense.

Watch this for the eye candy and the mech battles, which blow most anything you'll see in recent gundam shows out of the water.

I just finished the series. Slow start, and the whole deal with the princess and an enemy was a little too much. Other than that, really well done series. The mech battles are brutal and desperate. Supporting characters are well written too.

Wag

I just finished the series. Slow start, and the whole deal with the princess and an enemy was a little too much. Other than that, really well done series. The mech battles are brutal and desperate. Supporting characters are well written too.

This was one of my favorite series of last year. Good stuff.

I struggle to comprehend how anyone could find anything in this show well-written. It's quite literally Anime Tropes and Clichés: The Series: Done Visually Stunning, Like

*shrug.* I took a break from all the award winning Oscar caliber anime, and just decided to enjoy this.

Llyranor

I struggle to comprehend how anyone could find anything in this show well-written. It's quite literally Anime Tropes and Clichés: The Series: Done Visually Stunning, Like
Yeah. Really enjoyed the mecha combat, but the characters/story were abysmal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom