• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: All PS1 Games (discs included) Now Playable on PSP Via Remote Play

Silicon Knight said:
Guys, help me!

I'm trying to connect my PSP to my PS3, but when I select the Remote Play option and my PSP is trying to connect to the internet via my PS3 it gives a DSN error. What's this and how can I solve it?
Help....please?

FabCam

Silicon Knight said:
Help....please?

That happened to me to start with too. I just kept connecting and connecting until it worked. Also, make sure you put your PS3 in the Remote Play screen. It worked for me, but it might have just been coincidence.

sw26

FabCam said:
FF8 won't work.

Do you have the PAL version?

If so, then it's just not PS3 compatible for some reason. I tried it last night a few times (all 4 disks) and it loaded the PS logo and then sat on a blank screen for ages.

jmdajr

man great new feature.

but the lag doesn't help action games.

playing mega man x4 was rather disastrous.

I guess I should stick to RPGs

FabCam

sw26 said:
Do you have the PAL version?

If so, then it's just not PS3 compatible for some reason. I tried it last night a few times (all 4 disks) and it loaded the PS logo and then sat on a blank screen for ages.

Oh I see, yeah that's my problem. It got past the logo, then just sat in a black screen. Oh well, back to FF9.

So just to confirm for someone who hasn't read all 400+ messages of the thread...there's really no setting making it so action/racing/fighting games work well against the lag and response times, even if you bump down the graphics quality and everything???

Elios83 said:
Yes, you just need a WIFI router to do a remote connection over the internet.
Yes it works... And if you use the private network option, you don't use your Internet connection, saving that download quota.

jmdajr

Edag Plata said:
So just to confirm for someone who hasn't read all 400+ messages of the thread...there's really no setting making it so action/racing/fighting games work well against the lag and response times, even if you bump down the graphics quality and everything???

I had lag even connected through my network, not internet.

When you play on the network, you cannot change the speed settings. It's all maxed out.

When you play through the internet you can set the quality lower, but it still lags.

So yeah, play rpgs! Like I said before, the lag basically made my mega man games unplayable.

Gattsu25

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
Can you put FF7 in ANY PS3 and play it from your PSP?

I mean, 20 gig, 40, 60 & 80 gig...any restrictions?
The PS3 has to be able to play it

are there any restrictions on PSX games or do the 40/80 issues only affect PS2 games?

iceatcs

DNS error people, is your router setup IP is 192.168.1.254?

Mine seem that PS3 didn't like 254 at the end when the router was replaced for new ISP. The past 2 routers used 192.168.1.1 which it has no error with PS3 at all.

Baker

Banned
Yeah, this thing turned into a pretty big bust.

I brought the PSP into work today and showed people that I could play Silent Hill on a console at home. The lag was so bad, I couldn't even walk in a straight line.

And of course all the non-gamers were all "why can't you play ps3 games or watch blurays through it?" Arg.

Interesting, my router at home has .2.1 and works fine but here at work it's a .1.254 router which gives me the error... gotta try another one...

Sushen

nofi said:
My PS3 throws up DNS errors all the time, a router reboot normally fixes it.
While it's an excellent news that I can play my ps1 games on PSP via remote play, I wish sony releases USB dongle like Nintendo did with their WiFi-enabled consoles. It's so easy to use and no configuration required, although I have to leave my pc on.

-Rogue5-

I'm very disappointed that people don't know too much about Remote Play. I guess it's Sony's fault for not educating the public about it, but it seems as if everyone does a doubletake when they're finally enlightened and that just shouldn't be the case.

As for lag; It's very dependent on the upload speed of your PS3's net connection. This will undoubtedly increase over the next few years (it has for the last couple of years), so I still think that PS2 and 3 games will be completely playable within this lifecycle. ALSO, the lag doesn't seem to affect movie/music playback -- the quality, even on the highest, is about as good as VHS, but that's still friggen amazing. And I expect the amount of quality options/adjustments to improve with future firmware updates of the PS3/P.

you knwo what would be nice
a disc-changer for ps3 now that there are so many ways to remote-play

ps: i will SOOOOOOOOOO switch to a ps3 with 5-disc changer the moment it hits market

FabCam

I haven't experienced any of this lag that some have. I have around 0.5 secs of lag, and most of the time it's totally lag free. I haven't tried any precision games yet (fighting etc) but so far, my RPG collection is working a treat.

Ramune

-Rogue5- said:
I'm very disappointed that people don't know too much about Remote Play. I guess it's Sony's fault for not educating the public about it, but it seems as if everyone does a doubletake when they're finally enlightened and that just shouldn't be the case.

Same way that there are people who didn't know the PS2 could play DVDs, or that their PS3 can play Blu-Ray disks (or Super Audio CDs in some models). I think Sony has people's attention with their new PS3 ads. Now tell them about the cool things they can do with it in addition to games.

Now to hit Craigslist for a cheap 60GB PS3 eventually.

Stupid question:
I don't know a lot about sony stuff so be nice.
Does this mean that you could play a psone game on anyone's ps3 from your psp?

cool_dude_2049 said:
Stupid question:
I don't know a lot about sony stuff so be nice.
Does this mean that you could play a psone game on anyone's ps3 from your psp?

You need to register your PSP on the machine (with an USB cable) before using remote play. If it's registered, you should be able to use it.

archnemesis said:
You need to register your PSP on the machine (with an USB cable) before using remote play. If it's registered, you should be able to use it.

I see; that makes sense. It would be pretty cool if you could just connect to anyone's Ps3. I can see some sites dedicated to have certain games for people to play, but I guess that is why they have emulators.

dionysus

Yaldog
Some troubleshooting questions on enabling remote start of the ps3.

Which MAC address do you enter? Cable Modem? Router? Or ps3?

Are there any settings on the router you need to disable or enable to allow remote start?

Crovax33

It's definitely a cool feature, but it would be nice to be able to take it anywhere. If that was the case I'd buy a PSP...

tanod

when is my burrito
Crovax33 said:
It's definitely a cool feature, but it would be nice to be able to take it anywhere. If that was the case I'd buy a PSP...

You can. Anywhere there is a wifi hotspot.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So when I try to remote play connect my PSP via Internet I sign in and everything then get to the screen where it says it will take "at most 90 seconds". The I get a connection error after that 90 seconds, anyone know why? My PSP works fine through the private network.

ok, now this reaches gimmicky to a whole new level. The lag is fucking atrocious with every game i tried.

blood omen=unplayable lag
gta 2 = the controls obviously doesn't go hand to hand with the psp.
bushido blade = complete fucking lag
soul blade = nothing but lag
resident evil 2 = OMG horrible
metal gear solid = unplayable

I tried this with mine and my friends ps3s and its the same outcome. If you guys can just burn your ps1 games, i'll recommend the hack a couple of months ago.

navanman said:
Whats the upload speed of your net connection?
How do i look? I mean, my friend have at/t and i have comcast, and they still have the same exact lag problems. The only game that doesn't show constant lag is gta 2. But as usual like the custom firmware version. The controls are atrocious, but thats a gta2 problem, not the remote play problem. I guess i'm gonna stick with the custom firmware versions of the games since this is really a gimmick and really is pointless if you have the custom firmware anyway.

gray_fox224

topsyturvy said:
ok, now this reaches gimmicky to a whole new level. The lag is fucking atrocious with every game i tried.

blood omen=unplayable lag
gta 2 = the controls obviously doesn't go hand to hand with the psp.
bushido blade = complete fucking lag
soul blade = nothing but lag
resident evil 2 = OMG horrible
metal gear solid = unplayable

I tried this with mine and my friends ps3s and its the same outcome. If you guys can just burn your ps1 games, i'll recommend the hack a couple of months ago.

Did you try to adjust the speed on the XMB?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I hope they'll let us rip the discs as well, at one point - at least if this remote play thing doesn't end up working flawlessly after a while.

That said, I just upgraded my dsl line, to up to 20000 kbit/s down and 1000 kbit/s up. Now, I'll have to wait for January, so I can get myself a PSP. Late christmas present for me.

This is definitely awesome, but is there any good solution for the lack of extra trigger buttons? I know you can do the select+L/R thing but it didn't seem to work too well in Twisted Metal 2.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Still can't connect my PSP via Internet. Opened ports, messed with UPnP, re-did PS3 internet connection...still nothing. Is it even possible to connect via internet using the same connection on the PSP and PS3? I haven't been able to try on anyone else's.

Just got this set up, tried out Crash Bandicoot 1 disc. Definitely some input lag, but man this is going to be awesome for RPGs and stuff. So, so cool.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
-Rogue5- said:
As for lag; It's very dependent on the upload speed of your PS3's net connection. This will undoubtedly increase over the next few years (it has for the last couple of years), so I still think that PS2 and 3 games will be completely playable within this lifecycle. ALSO, the lag doesn't seem to affect movie/music playback -- the quality, even on the highest, is about as good as VHS, but that's still friggen amazing. And I expect the amount of quality options/adjustments to improve with future firmware updates of the PS3/P.
Uhh, isn't it just uploading the video signal? Shouldn't it then be the same regardless if it's PS1 or PS2, or [PS3 if set to 480p]?

Gantz

Banned
Baker said:
Yeah, this thing turned into a pretty big bust.

I brought the PSP into work today and showed people that I could play Silent Hill on a console at home. The lag was so bad, I couldn't even walk in a straight line.

And of course all the non-gamers were all "why can't you play ps3 games or watch blurays through it?" Arg.

Told you guys it's a pointless feature especially in America. It may make sense in Japan/Korea but it's going to be long ass time before we get fast enough internet access in the US for remote play to be a useful feature.

Another question I have is can you turn your PS3 off remotely with your PSP?

Top Bottom