• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: House GOP plan to sue Obama Administration over Executive Actions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogosox82

I'm just wondering what the hell they would impeach him on. Using his presidential powers, and less than most presidents? Or BENGHAZI BENGHAZI?

Also, the amount of terror that strikes me when I think about anyone from that party being elected to lead the country again is huge.

Their not going to actually impeach him. They will/would use the same executive orders that Obama has used (if not go even further than Obama has). This is merely a means to grandstand and drum up votes for the elections. That's all it is. I highly they will even go through with this lawsuit. This is probably just Boehner throwing this out there. Like another poster said, its red meat to the base, nothing more.

I know exactly what evidence they're going to present!

y6KH2wV.gif

this will never not be amazing.

Also why havent we labeled the republican party as the new Know Nothing party? They share a lot of characteristics...

Slayven

I know exactly what evidence they're going to present!

y6KH2wV.gif

Never gets old.

GOP let me tell you something. There is a black man in the white house, you have had damn near 10 years to accept the reality. Please do, it is beyond sad. While you trying to get revenge on him the Tea Party is eating you from the inside out. Get your house in order. Remember the 80s? You guys were godkings.

My point is with the link that I gave you in that post is that people today know that republicans aren't doing anything positive for america that's why they are polling so negatively. They are constantly in the news for the wrong things. It's not that easy where Republicans can just say that Obama is an obstructionist because he doesn't want to pass their bills and that will make them popular again.
How many stories on The Blaze, Fox News, and Limbaugh say that Republicans aren't doing anything positive? Because those are the sole news sources of a large portion of this country.

ISOM

How many stories on The Blaze, Fox News, and Limbaugh say that Republicans aren't doing anything positive? Because those are the sole news sources of a large portion of this country.

And yet republicans have a higher disapproval rating than approval.

So Obama is a feckless president who hasn't gotten anything accomplished, but also an iron fisted dictator who has fundamentally changed America forever. He is the weakest president of all time yet also the most dangerous of all time.

Which is it?

whycantwehaveboth.gif

i don't actually believe this

I am hardly thrilled with the way he has used executive privilege sometimes myself, but nothing will come of this at all and the GOP is 100% aware of it, just pointless pandering. Which, I mean, congressional support is like -million% or something so they should have figured out this stuff doesn't work very well.

I mean partisan nonsense aside don't Presidents get "sued" on occasion during their term?

I'm assuming this shit happens to sitting Presidents every now and then and it'll either stick or slide on down via the court system.

Nope, huge standing issue.

As to official acts, Presidents have, arguably, the strongest immunity under the law.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I am hardly thrilled with the way he has used executive privilege sometime myself, but nothing will come of this at all and the GOP is 100% aware of it, just pointless pandering. Which, I mean, congressional support is like -million% or something so they should have figured out this stuff doesn't work very well.

He's actually used less executive orders than any other modern president, so yea, he hasn't even used the most. He's tied for least used right now.

And yet republicans have a higher disapproval rating than approval.
Yeah, I tend to think that's more a disapproval of Congress as a whole or "established Republicans" and they find a way to justify voting for republicans for Congress anyway. Congress always has low approval ratings yet also has a low turnover.

Aylinato

Yeah, I tend to think that's more a disapproval of Congress as a whole or "established Republicans" and they find a way to justify voting for republicans for Congress anyway. Congress always has low approval ratings yet also has a low turnover.

Repulicans in HoR lost by 5 million but are still in the majority because of gerrymandering

vikki

If the House GOP can sue the Obama administration, is it possible to hold the House GOP in some form of contempt?

BigDug13

same argument, different resentment. you'll hear a lot of "women are less competent than men" arguments that are dressed up in political verbiage and double talk. you'll see what i mean come 2015 when primaries ramp up.

The difference that time will be only 50% of racist whites will be onboard instead of 100%.

Ponn

Banned
Hey guys, you know that whole VA thing? Think we can concentrate on something useful. You know, instead of wasting taxpayers money.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hey guys, you know that whole VA thing? Think we can concentrate on something useful. You know, instead of wasting taxpayers money.

The problem with that is both sides are just as guilty, they can't attack Obama without admitting they've fucked up massively as well.

kehs

Banned
The house has been trying to so many things about obama for the past six years.

There's a reason they are the lower half of congress.

In fact, that's the reason they are the lower half of congress, cause if they pulled together to do something useful and beneficial, we'd actually have bills that were helping the economy and the country.
If the House GOP can sue the Obama administration, is it possible to hold the House GOP in some form of contempt?

You can't hold someone in contempt from bringing forth a shitty lawsuit, you can just tell them to fuck off.

Ponn

Banned
The problem with that is both sides are just as guilty, they can't attack Obama without admitting they've fucked up massively as well.

Well thats the root problem of the two party political system. "Attacking" the political party shouldn't have anything to do with governing or fixing problems. These people, all of them, get paid alot of money to act like school children and accomplish nothing.

linkboy

Nah, because running the country makes to much sense.

Instead, we need to dick around for 6 years with our thumbs up our ass's doing jack shit and try to blame the president for everything because we don't like him.

Oh yeah, Benghazi

KingK

So republicans lost the presidential election when they went after Clinton?

They don't need the votes in senate, it's all about appearances. If republicans take the senate next autumn, they will bombard Obama with bills he will have no choice but to veto. They can then frame him as an obstructionist, try to impeach and then complain how democrats try to protect their political interests.

Conservatives are loons in many respects but they know how to play the game. Regardless of how badly they mess up, they will come back and the public will forgive and give them another chance.

enten-datalab-forpolicy.png

That graph is terrifying. How the fuck does America forgive the Republicans for Iraq so damn quickly? Fucking hell, memories of goldfish I swear.

The Senate already drafted a pretty competent bipartisan bill by Bernie Sanders and McCain to address the VA problems. Not sure what its status is in the House though.

Aaron

So you're going to sue the president for doing good things that your broken congress can't or won't do? Fuck off, GOP. Start doing the job you were elected for. You're the cancer eating away at America.

old

“The president has a clear record of ignoring the American people’s elected representatives and exceeding his constitutional authority, which has dangerous implications for both our system of government and our economy,” Boehner’s spokesman Michael Steel said. “The House has passed legislation to address this, but it has gone nowhere in the Democratic-controlled Senate, so we are examining other options.”

Sounds like the will of the American peoples' elected Senate is telling Boehner to fuck off.

linkboy

That graph is terrifying. How the fuck does America forgive the Republicans for Iraq so damn quickly? Fucking hell, memories of goldfish I swear.

Actually, I think the goldfish is smarter.

Conservatives only pay attention to what faux and Limbaugh trek then, they're not interested in hearing anything else.

I grew up in a conservative family and I'm in the military (about as conservative Saylor can get). Republicans are very good at fear mongering (just look at how many people think Obama is going to take their guns, even though he legally can't). They're also very good at spinning things, like blaming the government shutdown on Democrats (even though Congress refused to do their job and pass a budget).

Truth be told, I'm not surprised the line has swung the other way, it's a highly motivated group of people who have ways to reach a lot of people and can get their horribly stupid message out.

KingK

Sounds like the will of the American peoples' elected Senate is telling Boehner to fuck off.

No, don't you see. Clearly the land* of America wants to be lead by Republicans because they control the House! Fuck the fact that Democrats have the senate and the they won the White House with a large popular vote and electoral margin!

*And by land I literally mean dirt. Because Democrats got 5 million more votes from humans for the House too, but dirt likes to vote Republican, so they have the majority.

I also think a bunch of shit happening one after the other in rapid succession also contributed to the perception that democrats don't know crap about foreign policy. Syria is a quagmire (Obama's red line thingy), Putin putining with Ukraine, resurgence of militant groups in Iraq, and BENGHAZI. Americans (us) are seriously dumb when it comes to foreign policy. There's no two ways about it. We want US to stay the fuck out of conflict zones like Syria, but blame Obama's foreign policy is not working because people like Assad are bombing their citizens. We want our cake and eat it as well.

No, don't you see. Clearly the land* of America wants to be lead by Republicans because they control the House! Fuck the fact that Democrats have the senate and the they won the White House with a large popular vote and electoral margin!

*And by land I literally mean dirt. Because Democrats got 5 million more votes from humans for the House too, but dirt likes to vote Republican, so they have the majority.
Are you saying Democrats are people while Republicans are dirt?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So Obama is a feckless president who hasn't gotten anything accomplished, but also an iron fisted dictator who has fundamentally changed America forever. He is the weakest president of all time yet also the most dangerous of all time.

Which is it?

EVERYTHING

Link

The Autumn Wind
Let's just call this what it is: straight up treason.

They forgave them for the government shutdown literally a few weeks later. I'm generally pretty cynical, but that seriously left me speechless.

KingK

Actually, I think the goldfish is smarter.

Conservatives only pay attention to what faux and Limbaugh trek then, they're not interested in hearing anything else.

I grew up in a conservative family and I'm in the military (about as conservative Saylor can get). Republicans are very good at fear mongering (just look at how many people think Obama is going to take their guns, even though he legally can't). They're also very good at spinning things, like blaming the government shutdown on Democrats (even though Congress refused to do their job and pass a budget).

Truth be told, I'm not surprised the line has swung the other way, it's a highly motivated group of people who have ways to reach a lot of people and can get their horribly stupid message out.

Yeah I grew up in a conservative house/small town as well. The history teacher at my high school literally spent the first 15-20 minutes of class every day discussing what he heard on Limbaugh on his way to work today. My older sister tried and failed to get him fired for skipping Africa sections of the lesson plan for the stated reason that there weren't any black kids in the class. This was also by far the most loved teacher at the school. Sometimes I would argue with him and end up taking up the whole hour trying to stop him from brainwashing the entire class. Unfortunately this ended up with me being labeled a "fag" by a lot of the school because I disagreed with his stupid rants about the dangers of gay marriage.

My mom voted for Obama twice at least after being disillusioned with Republicans and the wars at the end of Bush's term, and she's pretty satisfied with him all things considered. Especially since Obamacare is saving her about $400 a month. She says she can't see herself voting Republican again in the foreseeable future, and has done a complete 180 on stuff like gay marriage, so there is hope for people to change. The problem is that a lot of conservative voters live in these isolated small town cultural enclaves and aren't exposed to other cultures or viewpoints. They mostly watch Fox, like you said, and even when they watch the regular nightly news it isn't much better, because the news doesn't do any reporting or investigating anymore. They just regurgitate the talking points of the day from both sides, then say "you decide." And then people "decide" by going to see what Fox and Limbaugh have to say about the nightly news.

Are you saying Democrats are people while Republicans are dirt?
No, there are Republican people. I'm just saying that more people voted Democrat while more dirt/empty land voted Republican.

Vlad

Sadly, no. They've got the game figured out and they've mastered it to a T.

Between Faux, Limbaugh and the rest of the AM dial, they've got a way to get their [b\message out to their base in a way that Democrats don't really have[/b], and they know how to use it.

The problem is that, from the very small amounts of Fox News I'm able to stomach, I can't imagine a Democratic equivalent that would work. The GOP has basically turned the Gish Gallop into a political platform, and the comedy shows seem to be the only ones doing any work to try to refute their claims.

KingK

Let's just call this what it is: straight up treason.

They forgave them for the government shutdown literally a few weeks later. I'm generally pretty cynical, but that seriously left me speechless.

Yeah, that was pretty crazy. I didn't think that would carry all the way to the midterms, but I did think it would hurt Republicans a lot longer than it did.

I also think a bunch of shit happening one after the other in rapid succession also contributed to the perception that democrats don't know crap about foreign policy. Syria is a quagmire (Obama's red line thingy), Putin putining with Ukraine, resurgence of militant groups in Iraq, and BENGHAZI. Americans (us) are seriously dumb when it comes to foreign policy. There's no two ways about it. We want US to stay the fuck out of conflict zones like Syria, but blame Obama's foreign policy is not working because people like Assad are bombing their citizens. We want our cake and eat it as well.

Right, this is what pisses me off. I can't tell you how many people I've heard bitch and moan about "America being the world's police" and then turn around and bitch about "Obama letting Syria and Ukraine go to shit." This really shouldn't be too hard a concept to fucking grasp. If you don't want America involved in every foreign conflict in the world, then don't blame the President every single time something happens in any country. A 4 year old has enough logical capabilities to grasp this, FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom