• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: House GOP plan to sue Obama Administration over Executive Actions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting how any of the standard duties the president performs weren't an issue until Obama took office.

including

-talking to school children at the beginning of the school semester
-having White House czars/advisers
-playing golf
-taking vacations (he still isn't close to Reagan or W Bush's totals)
-creating federal parks/land
-going on overseas trips (still isn't close to W Bush's total)

etc

That's the point. This is GOP leadership attempting to placate the far right with half measures and other bullshit they can parade as "accomplishments." They have lost nearly every time they've challenged him since the 2011 debt deal disaster (where Obama caved), and now they want a scalp.

There are republicans who want to start impeachment hearings, yet this lawsuit shit is what they'll get...and it'll go nowhere or be thrown out in court.
And it doesn't matter, because it's red meat to their base: Old, white and angry. The message they are sending is clear. Obama's executive actions have stopped deportation of kids brought here illegally, tried to remove anti-gay discrimination, curbed gun control and most recently revised EPA guidelines on coal. This action is a big giant fuck you to all those groups and people that support them (non-old, white and angry). The good 'ol america they keep talking about is where gays and Latinos don't exist and blacks knew their place.

VariantX

I wonder how much more time and taxpayer money is this going to waste... on second thought, I probably don't want to know.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Obama is such an asshole. How dare he not defend the people's doma and kill jobs with curtailing carbon pollution

Wasn't there an article earlier this week how the house has enough votes for impeachment. If the republicans take the senate next autumn, it's going to be so entertaining for us political junkies outside of USA.

popcorn_yes.gif

They wont , because it they impeach to please the radicals then they can kiss the presidency for the next 8 years good bye

Jarmel

Banned
I wonder how they feel about a woman as president, would it be less or more hatred compared to Obama?

My understanding is worse actually. I would have to dig for the results but there was some sort of poll/study and people would rather have a black man in office than a woman of any color.

linkboy

Wait, Obama is accomplishing too much? I thought the narrative was he that wasn't getting anything done.

The narrative is whatever the GOP wants it to be and their batshit insane cult members go along with it.

My parents are hardcore conservative and I'm pretty sure my grandma is a racist (so glad I escaped that BS). I flat refuse to talk politics with them because it always ends up an in argument.

It's funny (and sad) to sit back and watch people literally slop up what Faux News tells them, like it's 100% true and everyone else is wrong.

There is nothing rational about this other than GOP got some really bad news about job performance and lack of doing anything this Congress. Some smart pollster probably put out in the field, "it's obama's fault", tested which response work best with the base, and that's how we got here today.

Wasn't there an article earlier this week how the house has enough votes for impeachment. If the republicans take the senate next autumn, it's going to be so entertaining for us political junkies outside of USA.

popcorn_yes.gif

You need 2/3 in the Senate to convict. No way that is happening.

HylianTom

Banned
I welcome impeachment proceedings. If 1998 is any indication, 2016 could be a doozy of a year.. blue as far as the eye can see on the electoral map!

It also produced some great comedy. An Obama "I. Am. Bulletproof." moment in comedy would be hysterical.

I'm just wondering what the hell they would impeach him on. Using his presidential powers, and less than most presidents? Or BENGHAZI BENGHAZI?

Also, the amount of terror that strikes me when I think about anyone from that party being elected to lead the country again is huge.

linkboy

I'm just wondering what the hell they would impeach him on. Using his presidential powers, and less than most presidents? Or BENGHAZI BENGHAZI?

Also, the amount of terror that strikes me when I think about anyone from that party being elected to lead the country again is huge.

I can think of a few,

Being a black man (some of their base would support that big time)

Being a muslim, which he isn't (good luck getting some people to believe that)

He's not a natural-born US citizen (that's never fully went away)

They just don't plain like him

He's from Chicago, therefore he's a corrupt politician (even though all politicians are corrupt in some way, shape or form. You don't get the gig without it)

ICKE

Banned
I should have been more specific :), how will they feel about Hilary?

They wont , because it they impeach to please the radicals then they can kiss the presidency for the next 8 years good bye

So republicans lost the presidential election when they went after Clinton?

They don't need the votes in senate, it's all about appearances. If republicans take the senate next autumn, they will bombard Obama with bills he will have no choice but to veto. They can then frame him as an obstructionist, try to impeach and then complain how democrats try to protect their political interests.

Conservatives are loons in many respects but they know how to play the game. Regardless of how badly they mess up, they will come back and the public will forgive and give them another chance.

enten-datalab-forpolicy.png

Protein

Banned
These guys are either mouth-breathing imbeciles or they're just lap dogs sucking on the teat of their local corporate sponsor, or both. First Obama is terrible for not doing anything and now he's terrible for trying to do something. It's even more infuriating that there are millions of ignorant people out there that take their word as gospel. They're a bunch of obstructionist motherfuckers and they know it. A room full of Tiki statues would get more shit done than the current GOP in office. Their whole political platform has been to attack the administration and offer no alternative plan other than the status quo. If they could actually get off their asses and cooperate then they could have accomplished much more. Cooperation, but we can't have that in our government can we? No, the GOP would rather waste everyone's time at the expense of the country, twirling their mustaches to see what other scandal they can fabricate or sit around probably playing fucking tiddlywinks all day for all we know while the country goes to shit.

ISOM

popcorn_yes.gif

The last time they tried to impeach Clinton, it ruined there chance for taking the white house. If they go through with it, they can kiss 2016 good bye.

ISOM

They don't need the votes in senate, it's all about appearances. If republicans take the senate next autumn, they will bombard Obama with bills he will have no choice but to veto. They can then frame him as an obstructionist, try to impeach and then complain how democrats try to protect their political interests.

The bills that republicans want passed have nothing to do with helping the middle class. They are usually bills for taking away abortion rights, gay rights, voter rights, etc. So no they can't just say he's an obstructionist and win.

Verelios

I shudder thinking about the consequences if the GOP are elected into office 2016.

Seems they'll go a long way to 'pay us back'.

Aesius

The GOP is going to completely run out of energy and motivation to do shit like this once another Dem takes the White House in 2016, right?

teiresias

IF they take the Senate they won't have the votes to get anything more passed than the Democrats have due to the filibuster.

linkboy

The GOP is going to completely run out of energy and motivation to do shit like this once another Dem takes the White House in 2016, right?

Sadly, no. They've got the game figured out and they've mastered it to a T.

Between Faux, Limbaugh and the rest of the AM dial, they've got a way to get their message out to their base in a way that Democrats don't really have, and they know how to use it.

You know, I know voting for different parties was supposed to be a 'check and balances' thing, but we've seen in the past few years how this falls apart when people are bitter assholes.

How can we expect any congress to be reasonable when there is such an us vs them mentality? Even good ideas will be smacked down because of party lines. I don't think it's ever been this bad (has it?).

And now there is literally no way to fix it. Though stopping lobbying might help some, it won't fix everything.

Aesius

Sadly, no. They've got the game figured out and they've mastered it to a T.

Between Faux, Limbaugh and the rest of the AM dial, they've got a way to get their message out to their base in a way that Democrats don't really have, and they know how to use it.

So I guess they realize they will likely never hold the White House again based on current demographics and voting patterns, and therefore, the next best option is to just park themselves in the Senate and House and sling mud at the Dem in the Oval Office?

I wonder how they feel about a woman as president, would it be less or more hatred compared to Obama?

same argument, different resentment. you'll hear a lot of "women are less competent than men" arguments that are dressed up in political verbiage and double talk. you'll see what i mean come 2015 when primaries ramp up.

ICKE

Banned
The bills that republicans want passed have nothing to do with helping the middle class. They are usually bills for taking away abortion rights, gay rights, voter rights, etc. So no they can't just say he's an obstructionist and win.

The public does not generally know or care what the bills contain, same applies to European voters. If you appear as the villain, you will lose. And the current opposition is very adept at mud slinging.

They are looking good in the polls right now despite the shutdown and other shenanigans.

I mean partisan nonsense aside don't Presidents get "sued" on occasion during their term?

I'm assuming this shit happens to sitting Presidents every now and then and it'll either stick or slide on down via the court system.

ISOM

The public does not generally know or care what the bills contain, same applies to European voters. If you appear as the villain, you will lose. And the current opposition is very adept at mud slinging.

They are looking good in the polls right now despite the shutdown and other shenanigans.

Dude people are not that dumb. You don't know much about American politics but republicans are not polling well at all. Republicans in congress are hugely unpopular to the general american public. http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_rep.htm

ICKE

Banned
Dude people are not that dumb. You don't know much about American politics but republicans are not polling well at all. Republicans in congress are hugely unpopular to the general american public. http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_rep.htm

It's not about being dumb, it's more about not having the time to study the political field. Why else would the conservatives have the edge on foreign policy again?

The race for senate is dead even at this point, democrats are probably going to lose and it's just a question by how much. NYT gives republicans a 56/44% edge right now.

ISOM

It's not about being dumb, it's more about not having the time to study the political field. Why else would the conservatives have the edge on foreign policy again?

The race for senate is dead even at this point, democrats are probably going to lose and it's just a question by how much.

My point is with the link that I gave you in that post is that people today know that republicans aren't doing anything positive for america that's why they are polling so negatively. They are constantly in the news for the wrong things. It's not that easy where Republicans can just say that Obama is an obstructionist because he doesn't want to pass their bills and that will make them popular again.

Fox Mulder

popcorn_yes.gif

would be interesting to see the Republicans actually impeach the first black president. Their insane opposition and reactions to anything he does is already pretty transparent.

would be quite the backfire to a party that's already going to die a slow death because of demographics and social issues.

So Obama is a feckless president who hasn't gotten anything accomplished, but also an iron fisted dictator who has fundamentally changed America forever. He is the weakest president of all time yet also the most dangerous of all time.

Which is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom