• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: House GOP plan to sue Obama Administration over Executive Actions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loakum

Banned
More political theater instead of actually trying to fix any of our REAL problems in the United States. Our political system is too pathetic to even watch. We're literally the laughing stock of the world.

Loakum

Banned
It's already been done on gas
gaspricesobama.jpg

I don't remember gas being that cheap =/
and yet we still give gas corporations billions in tax cuts annually.

Lkr

One simple graph will illustrate their point, the X axis is time, the Y axis is "number of executive orders since January 2009". The graph increases from 0 to 175 by 2014.

Print that on a bunch of public mailers, splash it at the top of the hour every day on Fox News for a week, mention him being friendly to immigrants and GITMO detainees, and suddenly the idea of Emperor Obama seems like a no-brainer.

7RaaX75.png

No idea what I'm doing in Excel, but this might be a decent start. I have no idea how to do a line graph for a set of data like this. The Y axis would be the amount of executive orders, but what would you realistically put on the X axis?

Yeah I grew up in a conservative house/small town as well. The history teacher at my high school literally spent the first 15-20 minutes of class every day discussing what he heard on Limbaugh on his way to work today. My older sister tried and failed to get him fired for skipping Africa sections of the lesson plan for the stated reason that there weren't any black kids in the class. This was also by far the most loved teacher at the school. Sometimes I would argue with him and end up taking up the whole hour trying to stop him from brainwashing the entire class. Unfortunately this ended up with me being labeled a "fag" by a lot of the school because I disagreed with his stupid rants about the dangers of gay marriage.

My mom voted for Obama twice at least after being disillusioned with Republicans and the wars at the end of Bush's term, and she's pretty satisfied with him all things considered. Especially since Obamacare is saving her about $400 a month. She says she can't see herself voting Republican again in the foreseeable future, and has done a complete 180 on stuff like gay marriage, so there is hope for people to change. The problem is that a lot of conservative voters live in these isolated small town cultural enclaves and aren't exposed to other cultures or viewpoints. They mostly watch Fox, like you said, and even when they watch the regular nightly news it isn't much better, because the news doesn't do any reporting or investigating anymore. They just regurgitate the talking points of the day from both sides, then say "you decide." And then people "decide" by going to see what Fox and Limbaugh have to say about the nightly news.

No, there are Republican people. I'm just saying that more people voted Democrat while more dirt/empty land voted Republican.

so let me get this straight, you had a HISTORY teacher who refused to teach about blck centric events in America because no black kids were in your class/school? in other words your history teacher assumed only blck kids needed to know America's black history and if they did he'd be the one to enlighten them. truely insane. where did you go to scgool, or in what state?

kess

It's already been done on gas
gaspricesobama.jpg

I don't remember gas being that cheap =/

lol

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- June 30, 2008

The national average price for a gallon of gasoline climbed to $4.086, according to a daily survey by motorist group AAA. That was up 0.7 cent from $4.079 the previous day, and eclipsed the previous mark of $4.08 set June 16.

average-us-gas-price-2003-2009.jpg

When the economy tanked that September, gas prices dropped like a rock. I remember driving to the inauguration and thinking how cheap the trip was compared to a few months before.

Horns

Sounds like an issue that Republicans will try to use to energize their voters in the 2014 mid-term elections.

7RaaX75.png

No idea what I'm doing in Excel, but this might be a decent start. I have no idea how to do a line graph for a set of data like this. The Y axis would be the amount of executive orders, but what would you realistically put on the X axis?

I was thinking more along the lines of (my 5 minute excel/PP mockup)

Mad+With+Power.gif

mcflyOS

Banned
The attitudes on here seem to follow party loyalty, but in all honesty, Obama does overuse executive orders for things which only his party would support, and which, if polled, the majority of americans would probably not support, he has instructed his justice department to simply stop enforcing laws he does not like... any one who believes in democracy should be offended by those actions.

BouncyFrag

The attitudes on here seem to follow party loyalty, but in all honesty, Obama does overuse executive orders for things which only his party would support, and which, if polled, the majority of americans would probably not support, he has instructed his justice department to simply stop enforcing laws he does not like... any one who believes in democracy should be offended by those actions.
Nice.

linkboy

Anyone who also believe in democracy should also be offended at the Republicans acting like a child who doesn't want to play with the neighborhood kids and took his ball and went home.

So Obama is a feckless president who hasn't gotten anything accomplished, but also an iron fisted dictator who has fundamentally changed America forever. He is the weakest president of all time yet also the most dangerous of all time.

Which is it?

Whichever the narrative dictates at the time.

Executive orders are simply the effect of the House GOP's unwillingness to participate as a rational actor. If you're offended, then at least be offended about the right thing.

riotous

Banned

Honestly curious; which executive orders of Obama's do you take issue with?

I've been looking through the list.. and the majority appear very benign, but I could be convinced if you could link to one's you find problematic.

Horns

Every President does this. He's accomplishing campaign promises, which the majority elected him to do. Many of those issues are supported by the majority. And, that's one long sentence there.

Honestly curious; which executive orders of Obama's do you take issue with?

I've been looking through the list.. and the majority appear very benign, but I could be convinced if you could link to one's you find problematic.

I've read up through 2010 and they all seem like standard "here's a committee to address thing" kind of decrees. But I'm willing to keep going just to see what the hubbub is about, or if this is strictly about DOMA and immigration.

Edit: There's a lot of restrictions with regards to N Korea, Syria, Iran, and Somalia so far. But nothing the GOP would be upset with.
Edit 2: 2011 is pretty straightforward. The DOMA announcement from Feb 2011 wasn't even an executive order.
Edit 3: 2012 is pretty clean. One mention of natural gas regulation
Edit 4: Nov 2013 Climate change uh oh.
Edit 5: 2014 Minimum wage for contractors I guess is kinda controversial.

It'sfuckingnothing.gif

Republicans can fight tooth and nail to reestablish DOMA at the federal level but I don't think it's going to happen in our current political climate.

riotous

Banned
I've read up through 2010 and they all seem like standard "here's a committee to address thing" kind of decrees. But I'm willing to keep going just to see what the hubbub is about, or if this is strictly about DOMA and immigration.

Yeah I can only guess him declaring DOMA unconstitutional and thus unjust for the DOJ to pursue was the "law he didn't like" thing.

Aylinato

how the hell can you overuse something when historically you are one of the least to use the measure?

riotous

Banned
how the hell can you overuse something when historically you are one of the least to use the measure?

He didn't say it generically.. he said "for things which only his party would support."

But didn't really explain what he is referring too.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So Obama is a feckless president who hasn't gotten anything accomplished, but also an iron fisted dictator who has fundamentally changed America forever. He is the weakest president of all time yet also the most dangerous of all time.

Which is it?

The blackest.

KingK

so let me get this straight, you had a HISTORY teacher who refused to teach about blck centric events in America because no black kids were in your class/school? in other words your history teacher assumed only blck kids needed to know America's black history and if they did he'd be the one to enlighten them. truely insane. where did you go to scgool, or in what state?
Indiana.

Jeels

The American people's elected representatives are the ones ignoring the American people.

You keep doing your thing Obama.

It's like ever 10 years the same shit show plays, except the parties are in reversed positions, crying about the imperial presidency, how the filibuster is a horrible undermining of democracy /a time-honored tradition that protects the minority, how military action in ____ is necessary / unnecessary, how outsized national debt is unpatriotic and bad / not a big deal and necessary for prosperity, and so on.

For example: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/30/obama-would-order-review_n_115782.html

Not exactly a lawsuit, but then, Obama wasn't a congressional leader, he was a presidential candidate. And Republicans didn't seem to be so concerned about checks and balances then.

120v

i think the president has a right to circumvent congress when they willingly won't do their job just to demolish his presidency (and in turn ruin the country)

you can say "well both sides do it" but there hasn't been a congress this unproductive since over a century ago

One simple graph will illustrate their point, the X axis is time, the Y axis is "number of executive orders since January 2009". The graph increases from 0 to 175 by 2014.

Print that on a bunch of public mailers, splash it at the top of the hour every day on Fox News for a week, mention him being friendly to immigrants and GITMO detainees, and suddenly the idea of Emperor Obama seems like a no-brainer.

Number of executive orders is a poor indicator. For example, a president could issue 1000 orders that affect only minutiae of executive branch operation. Or the president could issue one executive order that dissolves Congress. In the first case, there's 1000 orders and zero overreach. In the last case, there's 1 order and massive overreach.

i think the president has a right to circumvent congress when they willingly won't do their job just to demolish his presidency (and in turn ruin the country)

you can say "well both sides do it" but there hasn't been a congress this unproductive since over a century ago

Yeah, that whole separation of powers thing is really more of a suggestion that you can follow when the other side does what you want. I believe that "right to circumvent congress" is what...Article II of the Constitution? But who knows, that thing is like 100 years old.

BSsBrolly

Banned
It's like ever 10 years the same shit show plays, except the parties are in reversed positions, crying about the imperial presidency, how the filibuster is a horrible undermining of democracy /a time-honored tradition that protects the minority, how military action in ____ is necessary / unnecessary, how outsized national debt is unpatriotic and bad / not a big deal and necessary for prosperity, and so on.

Filibuster? Huh? That only became an issue when Obama became president. That's when it started being abused by congress. Never have we seen anything like that.

Everything else are valid points.

benjipwns

Banned
I can't find this power in my copy of Article II.

Filibuster? Huh? That only became an issue when Obama became president. That's when it started being abused by congress. Never have we seen anything like that.
The massive spike in cloture coincides with Harry Reid becoming Majority Leader more than Obama becoming President.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom