• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakout stars from tv shows. The shockers who did and didn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

dawsons-creek-where_vgh2rb.jpg

Michelle Williams was garbo on this show, and was the last person I expected to break out and have Academy Award nominations.

Don't think he wants to do anything. Only one out of the main 4 who still kicking ass is Julia.

Yeah, Jason tried to diversify the most, but he wasn't as successful. However, if it wasn't for Veep, I'd probably think the same about Julia.

Of course Michael Richards will always have the racism shadow behind him now, but I would've liked to see him in more stuff too. He was pretty great in a little movie called Unstrung Heroes back in the 90s.

Let me add this one as someone who NEVER will be able to break away from his TV show:

Jerry_Seinfeld.jpg

Jerry has done nothing of note outside of Seinfeld, except showing up in other shows as various versions of himself.

Has no need for money... Guy turned down $5million/episode in the last season because he's so damn rich.

Don't think he wants to do anything. Only one out of the main 4 who still kicking ass is Julia.

and she's richer than Jerry lol.

i think for Jerry it's just that he knew he would never make something as big or beloved as Seinfeld so he never bothered trying. i'm sure he could've had other hit series.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Yeah, Jason tried to diversify the most, but he wasn't as successful. However, if it wasn't for Veep, I'd probably think the same about Julia.

Of course Michael Richards will always have the racism shadow behind him now, but I would've liked to see him in more stuff too. He was pretty great in a little movie called Unstrung Heroes back in the 90s.

Also fantastic in VHF the Weird Al movie.

i think for Jerry it's just that he knew he would never make something as big or beloved as Seinfeld so he never bothered trying. i'm sure he could've had other hit series.

That too. She had a other show too which was on CBS that ran for a few seasons.

Glix

George has done good work here and there, both before and after Seinfeld.

Duckman is amazing and criminally overlooked.

70155569.jpg

Bryan Cranston from Malcolm in the Middle. He was 50 coming off that show and the big stars were considered Frankie Muniz and Jane Kaczmarek.

Kevinroc

This could be SNL: The Thread. So many people got their star making role on that show. But sometimes it can be surprising who DIDN'T make it big afterwards.

mclem

Allow me to retell the story of the Jack Docherty Show.

Jack Docherty was a member of the sketch comedy team who produced Absolutely!, and when Channel 5 started up in the UK they were looking to make a regular US-style late night chat show; he'd be the lead, the usual desk-'n'-interviews combo.

As a father he'd take occasional breaks from the show for family reasons, notably during school holiday periods, and so the show would be temporarily rebranded Not The Jack Docherty Show with a guest host.

At the 1997 British Comedy Awards, Jack Docherty was beaten to the 'Best Newcomer' award by one of his own guest hosts. The person in question?

zER4R8t.png

A very young Graham Norton. Who, through various movements from channel to channel, now hosts BBC1's big late night chat show with the huge a-listers, as well as hosting various big Saturday Night shows and Eurovision.

Kevinroc

Cranston was always doing stuff though.

He did some anime dubs, and voiced a few monsters of the week in the original season of Power Rangers.

It's his role as the dentist in Seinfeld that gave his career a real shot in the arm (even though he was only in about five episodes).

John Krasinski starred and directed an indie movie last year at Sundance called The Hollars. It was actually really good and has an awesome cast too. It just came out on DVD the end of last year. If you like Krasinski check it out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Let me add this one as someone who NEVER will be able to break away from his TV show:

Jerry_Seinfeld.jpg

Jerry has done nothing of note outside of Seinfeld, except showing up in other shows as various versions of himself.

Well he's on season 9 (renewed for two more) on a show that isn't Seinfeld, he's maybe one of the top touring standups in the world, and he was the lead in a movie that made $300,000,000 (which he also exec produced), and he had a multi-season reality show which he also appeared on... but sure.

Julia had 4 season of "New Adventures of Old Christine" and won an Emmy for it and was nominated every season.

Plus she had previously been on SNL for years before Seinfeld, and was a regular film actress. Oh, and she's a gazillionaire by birth, she owns a non-trivial amount of a $100 billion a year shipping company. So I think she's doing fine for sure.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Drive (2007)

MV5BMTgyNTExNzUzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODk4MTc3._V1_.jpg

Best Actress winners 2016/2017

And of course the lead in Drive--which got cancelled after like 5 episodes--was this Canadian guy whose biggest previous role was being in a one-season sci-fi western. ... and then he became Richard Castle. LOL.

I always thought Ron was going to be a big star but that didn't end up happening. Anyone care to explain why?

I read his autobiography. He has been a career bit actor until his break out hit in Parks and Rec. So he is not that ambitious. Plus he has a real wood shop to run (again, it shows he is contended with where he is in his life right now.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I always thought Ron was going to be a big star but that didn't end up happening. Anyone care to explain why?

Nick Offerman is a huge huge star at this point. Several best-selling books, his woodworking business is huge, and mostly he spends his time touring with his wife Megan Mullaly (Tammy 2 on Parks and Rec; more famously Karen on Will & Grace). He does a bunch of voice work. And he was in Fargo. I've seen him a few times in the last few years at various events and he seems happy and relaxed!

And this is from a guy who before Parks & Rec was most well known for being an extra in an episode of the West Wing.

Loxley

Mickey Mouse Club has to be one of the top contenders:

sk12sKo.jpg

Timberlake, Gosling, Spears, and Aguilera - among others.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Tim "Fuckin" Riggins aka Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights)

He had his shot. He was basically the Christ Pratt of mid 2000s. Charming, not an amazing actor but good enough, fit, and on the younger side.

Oh all the people to successfully break out from Friday Night Lights, the biggest shocker has to be..

Breaking Bad, Fargo, and racking up some really good indie roles. Michael B Jordan breaking out and doing well was no surprise to me. After Fruitvale Station, I knew that dude was going to be eating well for awhile.

Machine

General Hospital in the early '80s was just crazy for the number of up-and-coming stars it had including:

Demi Moore
John Stamos
Janine Turner
Rick Springfield
Emma Samms
Jack Wagner
Richard Dean Anderson

U.K. Show Skins had a few.

Notably Daniel Kaluuya played a bit part character called posh Kenneth, he's just played the lead role in 'Get out' that has 100% fresh rating on Rt and is also in Black Panther. He could go places.

Also the girl that played Effy is in the new Pirates of the Carribean; a few of the others turn up in Game of Thrones.

LotusHD

Banned
Taraji P. Henson

Only knew her from like Person of Interest and the Karate Kid reboot, then she just blew up as Cookie from Empire, star of Hidden Figures, etc.

taraji-p-henson-on-the-red-carpet-at-the-2017-academy-awards.jpg

Taraji P. Henson

Only knew her from like Person of Interest and the Karate Kid reboot, then she just blew up as Cookie from Empire, star of Hidden Figures, etc.

taraji-p-henson-on-the-red-carpet-at-the-2017-academy-awards.jpg
Taraji's been in the game for a while and has gotten steady work. She even was nominated for an Oscar back in 2010 for Benjamin Button.

Brakke

Banned
General Hospital in the early '80s was just crazy for the number of up-and-coming stars it had including:

Demi Moore
John Stamos
Janine Turner
Rick Springfield
Emma Samms
Jack Wagner
Richard Dean Anderson

And more recently, GH launched James Franco!

Shockers? Pretty much the whole of Lost. But especially I had high expectation for Terry O'Quinn.

Terry O'Quinn has long been a character actor, having popped up in many notable films and TV Shows throughout the years. Lost was never going to do much for his career in the long-run since he's already been working quite consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom