• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakout stars from tv shows. The shockers who did and didn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anticol

Banned
What about get real?? I remember it was about a family and some crazy dead girl at the end, I am not sure.

images

GCQuinton

I feel like John Krazinski's firmly in "wait and see mode" right now with his Jack Ryan series on Amazon around the corner.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
and she's richer than Jerry lol.

i think for Jerry it's just that he knew he would never make something as big or beloved as Seinfeld so he never bothered trying. i'm sure he could've had other hit series.
She is not richer than Jerry Seinfeld. He's the richest actor in the world.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Julia Louis Dreyfuss' family is worth billions. They're old money. As in Rockerfeller old.

I know this. If this is what the poster meant, it's the wrong way to convey it. I didn't realize it was already corrected by other posters - I'll see my way out.

Zasa

How could you guys forget Michael K Williams from The Wire?

Screen-Shot-2014-12-29-at-10.55.38-AM.png

Went on to have a big role as Chalky White in 'Boardwalk Empire', Freddy in 'The Night Of', etc.

ApocalypseNow_01.jpg

Not a TV show, but I also wanted to mention Laurence Fishburne with his minor part in Apocalypse Now. Pretty unknown he was even in the film. Though his career lends itself more to his biggest TV role early on in 'Cornbread, Earl and Me'.

Abelard

Aaron Paul hit it big with Breaking Bad I believe, and I don't think Bryan Cranston would be enjoying his renaissance without it either.

Everyone on game of Thrones became a breakout star (if they weren't big already like Bean and Dance).

Goggins is in movies. He was secondary/tertiary lead in The Hateful Eight. And the idea that being in movies is "making it" while working in TV isn't "making it" isn't as true as it used to be.

So much this. Movie stars are less important than ever now. For film its all about the IP attached, not who you get to star. TV is where it's at for actors these days. Steady employment with some fantastic roles.

But there is so much TV on that no one can watch it all. So many of the "where are they now" people mentioned in this thread have continued to have very successful careers getting steady work on TV but people just don't realize it because they aren't watching those shows.

blakep267

I really thought Adam Brody would break out after, but I guess he only really has one role to play.

Chris Pratt was on the show for a couple of episodes, and Olivia Wilde probably has the best career out of the semi-regulars on the show, barring Sandy Cohen.
Yeah Brody should've found the niche of quirky nerdy guy. Maybe he was a bit too old. Also I think a big turn was when that Justice league movie fell through and he was supposed to be the flash. Could've been a big break for him

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
What the HELL is that terrifying Chucky-ass creature on the right??

It's called a "white boy." Don't be afraid, that's just how they look at that age. Once puberty hits, they become either a Buscemi or a Hemsworth!

do i have to clarify that i'm kidding? probably.

Would love to see Hollywood stop being racist AF and give Steven Yeun what he deserves...a leading role.

Hollywood reporter does a series of roundtables with directors, actors, comedians, writers, etc every year around oscar time and its pretty fascinating stuff. Last years male comedy actors had Aziz Ansari, Keegan Michael-Key, Carmichael, and others and there was a discussion about typecasting and getting parts and Aziz made a point he has done in other interviews: if most (minority) actors wait around for a part that feels right, they will age right out of the industry. He had to go out and make his own show and make his own parts, and you could see Jerrod Carmichael (Carmichael Show), Keegan (Key & Peele), and Anthony Anderson all agree with him.

It sucks but hopefully Steven Yeun is working mad hard on his own ideas and patterning up with someone like David Yang (Aziz's partner) to make his own success. At least at this point he has the industry cred and background to get meetings with Netflix, Amazon, FX, etc whereas someone new to the industry is going to get a thousand no's for even a single maybe.

The RT in question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Be3MgtXLI

Exodust

Banned
I've watched that show from start to finish 2 times last year and I'm already doing it now. It's hard when you show your girlfriend and show and she falls in love with it, to the point where you're watching up to the theme song.

Crazy to think Kirk went from being a character with no name to Guardians of the Galaxy.

rs_1024x759-140930133748-1024.12gilmore-girls.ls.93014-copy.jpg

Well, he's James Gunn's brother and was in his other movies(Super comes to mind)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom