• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakout stars from tv shows. The shockers who did and didn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alastor3

Man, Linda Cardellini deserved a stronger career.

oh man I like her so much, did she do anything good worth watching?

gilmore1.png

Of all the actors/actresses who would have thought Melissa McCarthy would become the star of the group.

Oh boy, im already missing this show. Did Alexis Bledel made anything good? I saw her list on imdb but it's..... very average.

21-jump-street-johnny-depp-17908894-500-500.jpg

Someone probably said it already but, Depp!!!

oh man I like her so much, did she do anything good worth watching?

Oh boy, im already missing this show. Did Alexis Bledel made anything good? I saw her list on imdb but it's..... very average.

Both had decent roles on Mad Men (Bledel was only on a few eps and I doubt she remembers it)

Oxirane

Someone make list for both Neighbours and 'Home and Away'.

I've not followed them, so I don't know if anyone was considered a breakout star while they were on the shows.

This thread should show folks that acting ain't easy and many of your bigger stars these days have been on the struggle for years before they hit it big.

gallery-1461674447-tv-twin-peaks-billy-zane.jpg

he then went on to star as the main antagonist of the third biggest film of all time, Titanic. And even generously lent his famous presence to Zoolander in a cameo.

Clegg

Martin Freeman's film career is thriving post The Office. The face of a mega movie franchise in The Hobbit and co star in one of the biggest TV shows on recent memory.

In contrast Ricky Gervais hasn't had a great movie career. Although he doesn't really need it. Hosted the Emmys and Golden Globes multiple times, created and started in Extras and started on on of the all time great podcast series. Just hasn't had a bigger presence in cinema.

KahooTs

Someone make list for both Neighbours and 'Home and Away'.
Yeah I don't know if it was their break, but

Home and Away
Isla Fisher
Melissa George
Chris Hemsworth
Guy Pearce
Bob Morley
Heath Ledger

Danii Minogue

Neighbours
Kylie
Natalie Imbruglia
Delta Goodrem
Margot Robbie
Russell Crowe
Guy Pearce
Jesse Spencer

Holly Valance

valeo

Linda Cardellini deserved better. Watching Freaks and Geeks, you really thought she'd be the breakout.

Segal and Rogan were huge surprises imo. Franco not so much.

Any reason why Cardenelli was never really involved with Apatow?

Striker

Don't think he wants to do anything. Only one out of the main 4 who still kicking ass is Julia.

X-Files had a bunch of people too. Vince Gilligan, Cranston, Jack Black and probably more.
Giovanni Ribisi and Seth Green (S1 episode, so that's 1993) too. Though I guess Green was getting tons of work before. Still cool to see him in there.

Slayven

Playing a part in a TV show and then eventually finding fame is not the same as breaking out.

Like someone suggested Ali for the 4400, when it's clear that his work on House of Cards is what has lead to his more recent bigger opportunities. It was an important stepping stone is his career, but nobody really broke out of the 4400.

Half the thread reads like a "Guess which star had a bit part nobody cared about a decade before they were famous" list.

Anyways, I'd add I am surprised Josh Holloway didn't really move on to something more notable after Lost. Seems to be making a solid career, I guess.
This is true
This thread should show folks that acting ain't easy and many of your bigger stars these days have been on the struggle for years before they hit it big.

Even Casper Van Dien had to grind before Starship Troopers

SteveWD40

John Krasinski went behind the camera last year, as well as during the Office runs. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have more ambitions than being an actor.

He mentioned that after he made that flick with Clooney, that George had told him to diversify into directing iirc. Eastwood, Clooney, Affleck, you can make your own opportunities if you can direct.

kurahador

XoxqeKg.jpg

Only Micheal Chiklis ends up doing movie stuff after Shield but sadly it didn't pan out (Fantastic Four). Sad too as the dude is a comic book fan.

gnexus

the-bill-engvall-show.jpg

I watched this show(The Bill Engvall Show), and thought it was silly and harmless, and JLaw just exploded out of seemingly nowhere.

Lupercal

Banned
and she's richer than Jerry lol.

i think for Jerry it's just that he knew he would never make something as big or beloved as Seinfeld so he never bothered trying. i'm sure he could've had other hit series.

Jerry easily has 4 times the money as her. Not counting her family money.
Jerry clears 30+million from Seinfeld every year alone, not counting his side gigs.

pestul

What are you talking about. Niobi, Caesar and Brutus are on tons of UK/period shows. I just saw Brutus in The Night Manager. Lucious got his own show. Athough I haven't seen Mark Anthony in a while.
James Purefoy (Anthony) has been in quite a bit lately. He was a main in The Following. He was recently in High Rise and looks like he has a lot of work coming up.

butalala

XoxqeKg.jpg

Only Micheal Chiklis ends up doing movie stuff after Shield but sadly it didn't pan out (Fantastic Four). Sad too as the dude is a comic book fan.

Goggins is in movies. He was secondary/tertiary lead in The Hateful Eight. And the idea that being in movies is "making it" while working in TV isn't "making it" isn't as true as it used to be.

I came to say Chris Pratt in Parks & Rec. I found him to be the only insufferable character on the show, but he has become a big movie star somehow.

cashman

Banned
I remember Kenneth from 30 Rock being hyped up as a big breakout character in like 2009 and he never really appeared in anything big after that.

David Hyde Pierce from Frasier

latest

Dude was only casted because he somewhat resembled a slightly younger and thinner Kelsey Grammer. He turns out to be the runaway star of the show to the point where the writers are forced to expand on his role throughout the course of the show.

David Hyde Pierce however sort of turned his back on Hollywood and went back to what he truly loved, that being the stage.

kurahador

The tall black cop on the left murdered his wife a few years ago and is in jail, sentence was 40 years to life. I guess that would be more a thread of "you won't believe what happened to this TV star..."
http://people.com/crime/michael-jace-former-the-shield-actor-sentenced-to-40-years-to-life/

Oh shit, totally forgot about this.

Those pants that Chiklis was wearing were never a good idea.

2000's was all about 20" straight cut pants. I lived that life.

gilmore1.png

Of all the actors/actresses who would have thought Melissa McCarthy would become the star of the group.

I've watched that show from start to finish 2 times last year and I'm already doing it now. It's hard when you show your girlfriend and show and she falls in love with it, to the point where you're watching up to the theme song.

Crazy to think Kirk went from being a character with no name to Guardians of the Galaxy.

rs_1024x759-140930133748-1024.12gilmore-girls.ls.93014-copy.jpg

Patryn

David Hyde Pierce from Frasier

latest

Dude was only casted because he somewhat resembled a slightly younger and thinner Kelsey Grammer. He turns out to be the runaway star of the show to the point where the writers are forced to expand on his role throughout the course of the show.

David Hyde Pierce however sort of turned his back on Hollywood and went back to what he truly loved, that being the stage.

I always appreciated how the producers of Hellboy chose to get him to overdub Doug Jones for Abe Sapien because they wanted a name, but after he did it he refused to take credit because he felt that it was really Jones's role (Jones was in the suit on set).

I've watched that show from start to finish 2 times last year and I'm already doing it now. It's hard when you show your girlfriend and show and she falls in love with it, to the point where you're watching up to the theme song.

Crazy to think Kirk went from being a character with no name to Guardians of the Galaxy.

Helps when your brother is the director.

Slayven

I always appreciated how the producers of Hellboy chose to get him to overdub Doug Jones for Abe Sapien because they wanted a name, but after he did it he refused to take credit because he felt that it was really Jones's role (Jones was in the suit on set).

Helps when your brother is the director.[

joxer_400x400.jpg

Rommel

rs_1024x759-140930133748-1024.12gilmore-girls.ls.93014-copy.jpg

I know how it goes. My wife started watching it and guess what was on our nightly netflix cue... About a month straight of Gilmore Girls, I have to admit I can become a sucker for cheesy CW style shows. It was weird watching the Netflix special 10 years after the fact. Everyone got so old. But Lorelai was still a neurotic infuriating mess so there's that.

Ogodei

Yeah, Jason tried to diversify the most, but he wasn't as successful. However, if it wasn't for Veep, I'd probably think the same about Julia.

Of course Michael Richards will always have the racism shadow behind him now, but I would've liked to see him in more stuff too. He was pretty great in a little movie called Unstrung Heroes back in the 90s.

Jason was lucky to get to be George Costanza, otherwise he'd only be remembered as "that guy who tried to rape Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman."

Savitar

I was a huge fan of the Joe Schmo Show, especially season 1. It was a reality show about a guy who thought he was competing on a reality show, except everyone around him were actors. One of the characters was a psychologist named Dr Pat. She was played by Kristen Wiig and it was several years before she joined SNL. I was pleasantly surprised to see her career blossom.

I loved that show. Hard to forget the good Dr. due to the poor schmo having a crush on her, and when he was down they set up a fun sumo suit wrestling event and the guy totally flattened her giving her a possible injury with her having to get checked out. That made him feel so damn bad and the cast and crew felt horrible too, he gave a prize to her for that since he really was that nice of a guy and she was pretty choked up about the whole thing.

Also she voted for the asshole character who gave her repeat orgasms the night before which utterly stunned Joe in the final.

Jarrod38

Kaley Cuoco from 8 Simple Rules and now she is one of the highest paid actors right now. Shame the other actors who played the kids were better than her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom