• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild Comparison Thread (Wii U vs. Switch)

Peterthumpa

I can't comprehend why, just fucking why Nintendo isn't capable of at least applying some post processing AA method to most of their games. You would think that by using Nvidia hardware they would actually give a small fuck, but no. How hard can it be to add post AA support to the damn engine?

I can't comprehend why, just fucking why Nintendo isn't capable of at least applying some post processing AA method to most of their games. You would think that by using Nvidia hardware they would actually give a small fuck, but no. How hard can it be to add post AA support to the damn engine?
When we are 90 and old Zelda will still won't have any AA solution. Fortunately for Nintendo they might render at 8K at that point so it's a non issue. They will probably sit this weird AA thing out entirely. It's tradition!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Main difference visually seems to be resolution and anti-aliasing. The Wii U version looks like it has practically no AA, whereas on Switch there's clearly at least some sort of post-process AA happening in addition to the resolution bump.

A good example of this is the torches/lantern things behind Link in what I assume is the starting area.

Switch
YYbhjmu.png

Wii U
TE3RQUY.png

Less offensive in motion

https://my.mixtape.moe/nghwlj.webm

To be fair, 900p isn't great for image quality to begin with, and it's possible that the AA solution breaks down in some situations. Based on the videos I've seen though, it looks a lot more shimmery and jaggie on Wii U.

How does it look in handheld mode (720p)?

Oh it's 900p? Thought it was 1080p. It's actually quite sharp in portable mode but I guess that's because of the screen, but still looks like no AA/AF.

I've played it for roughly ~3 hours now on the Switch, and I've run across one of these: https://youtu.be/ALdZyIGxux0?t=204

Tons of stuttering too. It's really baffling now seeing as it shouldn't really be pushing the Switch to its limits? Blegh.

Is it bad that makes me feel even better getting the Wii U version?

If even the Switch version has major stuttering like that even if the Wii U version surely has it much more frequent and worse it isn't like I won't have to deal with framerate issues if I got it on Switch.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Considering this is a Wii U game at heart, it's impressive that it looks better than anything on the PS3 or 360.

russtc3

Neo Member
Considering this is a Wii U game at heart, it's impressive that it looks better than anything on the PS3 or 360.
Is this a real comment?

I think it looks ok and that's about it. It looks dated which is a turn off for a launch game. Yes I know that for a game like this art style is where it's at, but I'm not all that impressed with the color scheme and that's hard to overcome in my eyes.

I want to be immersed in the world, but the lower level of graphics and color scheme are hard to overcome.

M_A_C

Wow, considering this is the only Switch game I care about and had preordered, it's making me want to wait on the Switch and just get this for my Wii U for now.

I mean, besides a few jaggies, they are nearly identical. I was expecting more LoD differences or lighting or something.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Can the game perform better on Wii U if played in Off-TV-mode or does the game still render the game at 720p then?

Can the game perform better on Wii U if played in Off-TV-mode or does the game still render the game at 720p then?
Some people including me THINK its running a bit better. This might be entirely wrong so I will write some homebrew to confirm/debunk this tomorrow

Hoo-doo

Banned
Pre-release, people were swearing up and down that the Switch version was to be 'technically superior in every way'. Seems like that was pretty overblown.

Seems like it doesn't matter one bit what device you play this game on, really. Both look fine.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Identical except for resolution and framerate, as expected.

Pre-release, people were swearing up and down that the Switch version was to be 'technically superior in every way'. Seems like that was pretty overblown.

Seems like it doesn't matter one bit what device you play this game on, really. Both look fine.

They were? Seems like most people expected exactly what happened to happen.

hodgy100

From what I've played if the wiiu version so far there is some pretty bad frame dips near the start when you exit the shrine of ressurection and look across the world. And if you fill the screen with alpha textures ( like getting the trees right up in the camera) you to feels like it dips to 20fps. But other than those specific instances it's been fine.

sazzy

I feel like the game is running surprisingly well on the Wii U. I was actually expecting worse.

Played a bit on TV and a couple of hours on the gamepad.

sirap

I feel like the game is running surprisingly well on the Wii U. I was actually expecting worse.

Played a bit on TV and a couple of hours on the gamepad.

Wait until you reach tropical biomes and late-game towns. That's when the real D̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶S̶o̶u̶l̶s̶ Zelda starts :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Looks like the Wii U version is pretty decent. The main visible difference is the fact that the aliasing is more pronounced on Wii U due to lower resolution, but neither versions seem to have AA applied.

And I guess some differences might be in the framerate, but that should be clarified by DF.

Opa-Pa

Are towns slow motion on Switch too? That and some specific areas/combat have been driving me crazy in terms of framerate on Wii U lol. Performance is pretty disappointing.

scitek

The Wii U version is 720p, which is a perfect divisor of 2160p, so it'll scale better on a 4K screen than the 900p version.

Yeah.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Disc data installed on eMMC certainly seem to load faster than from the Switch cartridges. Disc vs. card is another story though.

I'd like to see the difference between digital Wii U and digital Switch versions installed to their own internal memories as well.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So as I thought they look identical apart from resolution. I'll be getting the WiiU version.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So as I thought they look identical apart from resolution. I'll be getting the WiiU version.

If you don't include framerate in how the game "looks", sure. If you have the option of buying either I don't know why you would ever go with the Wii U version. It seems to perform really terribly in many instances.

spekkeh

Banned

In the way it looks yeah, but I've heard people who play the Wii U version comment that they actually actively avoid the towns because of how awfully the game chugs along there. Admittedly these were probably playing a pirated copy so I don't know how the patched retail version fares. Given that the reviewers don't mention awful frame rates in towns though I'm assuming the switch version is comparatively much better optimized here.

LordKano

Main difference is framerate. It runs way worse on Wii U.
When you enter a village on Wii U, the console is almost dying, while it's fine on Switch.

Guymelef

Resolution and framerate apart they look identical, even same low textures and AF.
Can't believe this isn't 1080p on Switch.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose it's for the best that this game has graphics parity between the two consoles.

I wonder if this game on Switch is suffering in any way from being a port or if it's running as well as it would if the game had been built from the ground-up for the system. I.e. is this the limit of the system's performance for open-world games?

It's really interesting to read about the town framerate issues. I suppose that makes me happy I'll be playing the Switch version.

Skyzard

Banned
There's a gif in some dungeon on the Switch version where the game crawls to halt fps wise (not for as long as JC3 on PS4) but for a few seconds stuttering - does that happen with the WiiU version too? Someone mentioned it might be a memory leak.

I was wondering if this was the case, I asked my buddy yesterday and he said no, it's the same - it's just more apparent when you play on a TV. :S

Obviously just an anecdote, will have to wait for DF hopefully to cover that, but he's pretty good with framerate stuff.

IQ should look pretty good on the gamepad I imagine.

It does! The low detail in the distance doesn't stand out on the gamepad. Blends in well. It looks really good.

When you enter a village on Wii U, the console is almost dying, while it's fine on Switch.

Which village? Any? Will be simple to check the disc version and digital version - in case those impressions are from people running from USB or SD.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why are most dismissing the possible frame rate difference? I mean that should be like the most important thing.

If you don't include framerate in how the game "looks", sure. If you have the option of buying either I don't know why you would ever go with the Wii U version. It seems to perform really terribly in many instances.

Framerate will be discussed a lot once a proper framerate analysis will exists (DF).

Celine

I'm leaning more toward the Switch version because of it.
The resolution bump is nice but it's the more robust framerate what really interest me because it improve greatly the experience.

I suppose it's for the best that this game has graphics parity between the two consoles. It's Twilight Princess all over again from the visual perspective (which I think exclusively offered 480p, IIRC).
The resolution between TP Wii and GC is the same, the Wii version though has progressive scan and a mirrored world.
So it's not the same case this time around.

Genuine question, have you seen village sections running on both platforms?

I feel like the only framerate comparisons I hear about are from the Great Plateau.

Chinbo37

The resolution between TP Wii and GC is the same, the Wii version though has progressive scan and a mirrored world.
So it's not the same case this time around.

The Gamecube version absolutely had progressive scan (you needed the component cables).

Top Bottom