• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild Comparison Thread (Wii U vs. Switch)

Guymelef

I've seen Wii U version droping to 0 fps under some circunstances (yep 0/instant freeze) like throwing a weapon to some enemy and destroying it in his face.

Didn't the newest patch today fix framerate on both versions?

Don't know on Switch, but Wii U manteins inconsistent framerate after the update.

Orni's impressions:

The WiiU version is seriously good.

Yes, the great plateau runs at 20 fps in the "swamp forest" area if you activate your runes, but the rest is absolutely playable and decent enough.

Good to know that the Wii U version is not much different. I'm getting the game on the Wii U, else it would be my first Nintendo console without an original Zelda game. It just wouldn't feel right. ;-)

I've seen Wii U version droping to 0 fps under some circunstances (yep 0/instant freeze) like throwing a weapon to some enemy and destroying it in his face.

Don't know on Switch, but Wii U manteins inconsistent framerate after the update.

0fps is stupid. It's called a freeze. But yeah I seen that happening.

sirap

I've had that freeze happen once during the first few minutes of the game. Same scenario too, I accidentally threw (fuck the controls) my weapon at an enemy and it froze for 2-3 seconds.

Hasn't happened again though.

Davey Cakes

I'm REALLY close on deciding either to play the game soon on the Wii U or play later (potentially much later) when I finally get a Switch.

The DF analysis could put me over the fence. If framerate isn't THAT bad on Wii U in comparison, I may pull the trigger.

SpacLock

I'm REALLY close on deciding either to play the game soon on the Wii U or play later (potentially much later) when I finally get a Switch.

The DF analysis could put me over the fence. If framerate isn't THAT bad on Wii U in comparison, I may pull the trigger.

I'm going by what the reviewers (at least the ones I trust) have said, which is basically that any frame rate issues the Wii U version has, isn't substantial enough to pull you from the game.

Sounds like a great way to save $300.00 if you just want some Zelda action.

0fps is stupid. It's called a freeze. But yeah I seen that happening.

I've seen it freeze for a couple of seconds

One would hope it's an actual freeze lol

e: as in yes, it's an actual freeze

I've had that freeze happen once during the first few minutes of the game. Same scenario too, I accidentally threw (fuck the controls) my weapon at an enemy and it froze for 2-3 seconds.

Hasn't happened again though.

Is it basically what happens in the Easy Allies Switch review?

I've played it for roughly ~3 hours now on the Switch, and I've run across one of these: https://youtu.be/ALdZyIGxux0?t=204

Tons of stuttering too. It's really baffling now seeing as it shouldn't really be pushing the Switch to its limits? Blegh.

Those look like freezes to me?

sirap

Okay so I've just finished downloading the Day 1 patch. Running through the same tropical biome and it feels...smoother? Might just be a placebo though...

Is it basically what happens in the Easy Allies Switch review?

Haven't watched their reviews, but if they encountered the same thing it might be a bug. Who knows lol.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah I've seen (online) freezes on the switch too.

Someone mentioned it might be a memory leak (hopefully fixable) but I dunno.

Zojirushi

Wait didn't we have comparison pics a couple weeks ago that clearly showed the Switch version looking better in terms of textures, draw distance, effects and such?

AmyS

Wait, did they downgrade the visuals on Switch for parity with Wii U?

(aside from the difference in resolution).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Freezes sound horrible.

Wait didn't we have comparison pics a couple weeks ago that clearly showed the Switch version looking better in terms of textures, draw distance, effects and such?

That was because those were comparing two different demo versions.

Antagon

Haven't watched their reviews, but if they encountered the same thing it might be a bug. Who knows lol.

In their review they had two freezes (around a second each) when hitting a certain enemy. Not weapon throwing, but in both cases a normal attack against the same enemy type.

There's also some people that have reported a short freeze when gliding a longer distance.

None of that seems to be extremely common though, but I haven't played the game so I might be wrong.

JP

What was going to be complicated with this for Nintendo on a graphical level was that if they look the same then people would complain about that but if the Wii U one looks markedly worse, then people would complain about that too. It doesn't look like I'll be getting a Switch at any point but, as a Wii U owner, I would have really preferred to have seen a marked improvement in the Switch version so this is disappointing for me.

I think if the Switch version had included some half decent antialiasing and everything else was exactly the same then that alone would have been a worthwhile improvement for me. A good quality antialiasing solution would really solidify the art design and not having it can be really jarring in games.

Less aliassing and better performance seems like i will have to wait untill i buy a Switch.

That will be december i guess.

I hope it will look even better on the Switch by then.
Anti aliassing would be nice...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think if the Switch version had included some half decent antialiasing and everything else was exactly the same then that alone would have been a worthwhile improvement for me. A good quality antialiasing solution would really solidify the art design and not having it can be really jarring in games.

Yeah, but the Switch version has its own rare framerate issues already as it is when docked. Probably adding AA would have killed it.

Mifec

Glad I got the Wiiu version, looks like since there are no major graphical differences that the CEMU version will be the definitive one in 4k.

Donnie

Only difference I noticed were some more realistic/detailed shadowing on the Switch version. Other than that and resolution differences they look the same.

The Wii U version is 720p, which is a perfect divisor of 2160p, so it'll scale better on a 4K screen than the 900p version.

Yeah.

Nope. 4k screen will upscale the 720p image to 1080p first then upscale that to 4k. So you get extra input lag as well as the lottery of how well your screen does the upscale, which in a lot of cases ads extra bilinear filtering in the 1080p to 4k part.

Played it for about an hour on Wii U and loved it, my brother has a Switch so will be able to see that on Sunday. That said, there are some pretty horrible frame rate drops in the Wii U version. Flashbacks to Shadow of the Colossus / late PS2 game frame rate shit.

jett

D-Member
I wonder when did they start porting it over to the Switch. Resolution aside they look virtually identical. Which is too bad, would've been nice to see a version of this game with more grass/better grass LOD at least.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nö WiiU game is the "definitive version" on Cemu, every game runs worse on Cemu in many aspects than the original version. But Cemu is good for still photos.

Xenoblade X on CEMU runs definitely better than the original version once you have the shader cache. And at 4k.

purdobol

Thanks for the comparisons.

Wii U can probably shave some additional seconds off if you use a SSD as evidenced by other games. Fortunately there is not much loading in this game

This is false. Wii U has USB 2.0 so max transfer rate is 60MB/s (in reality more like 45-50MB/s). There'll be no difference between quality 5400RPM HDD/7200RPM HDD and SSD.

I wonder when did they start porting it over to the Switch. Resolution aside they look virtually identical. Which is too bad, would've been nice to see a version of this game with more grass/better grass LOD at least.
Aonuma said Switch development started 1 year ago.

I noticed FPS improvements on the WiiU version after Day-1 patch (v1.1.0) too.

aravuus

Nö WiiU game is the "definitive version" on Cemu, every game runs worse on Cemu in many aspects than the original version. But Cemu is good for still photos.

Even if you weren't blatantly wrong, Risk Breaker did say the CEMU version will eventually be the definitive version. It might take weeks, months or if we're unlucky, maybe even years, but I have no doubt BOTW will run perfectly on the CEMU sooner or later.

And 4k will do the game wonders.

With the rumors up till November last year saying the game was looking delayed till summer, I think they really were going to wait that long till release to iron out these kart performance issues... Hopefully that means they'll continue to work them out while working on the dlc.

That's why I said "eventually". In 1 or 2 years it should definitely be fully playable in 4k or any other resolution, which is great news for everyone really.

Top Bottom