• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild Comparison Thread (Wii U vs. Switch)

Jacce

Banned
Might be pretty tough to find a copy of the Wii U version in a year or so. I doubt Wii U versions will be plentiful period.

Twilight Princess for GCN was pretty much a one time shipment and thats it. There is no reason to expect otherwise here. WiiU is being pulled from store shelves, Nintendo has no reason to keep printing discs for it.

arlucool

This is very interesting. Please test it. I'm wondering if this might be a GTA V situation where the game is optimized for simultaneousness streaming from disc and NAND and actually performs better than a full install.
Will take this into account when my copy arrives. Also, glad to read that version 1.1.0 seems to improve the experience.

Twilight Princess for GCN was pretty much a one time shipment and thats it. There is no reason to expect otherwise here. WiiU is being pulled from store shelves, Nintendo has no reason to keep printing discs for it.

I still kick myself for only buying the 1 gcn Twilight Princess off of the Target clearance shelf (~$10). Not sure if I'll ever open the Wii U version I have on its way.

Chesskid1

Banned
HApywnP.jpg

digital foundry's video is up

A complete breakdown of how Zelda runs on Switch in docked and handheld modes. Performance is certainly eye-opening. And yes, the day one patch is installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpqaTdflkNU

Wii U version it is.

Went to Target to see what they had..they had nothing. Wii U version or Switches.

Went to Best Buy and they had Wii U versions but no switches.

That was it for me..not going to be the 100th person to walk in to every electronics store looking for a switch.

SpokkX

This almost seems like a bug? Unless it is bandwidth related

Anyway they should add an option to prefer performance or resolution in docked. 720p@30 locked would be great

As it stands now i must play in handheld because it performs SO much better

The difference always looked very unsubstantial to me in previous comparisons, but now this looks almost exactly the same. Maybe I won't wait until getting a switch to play this after all. There's a good chance I still might just wait until switch though.

purdobol

Played couple of hours on the Wii U version and...

1. There are ocassional framedrops in open areas. Couple spots but nothing serious.
2. No framedrops in shrines so far.
3. Physics can lead to drops also. Chopped down trees falling from high places can slow down the game for a sec etc.
4. Kokiri Village have serious performance issues. The only place so far that it's actually anoying :/

Game looks great on gamepad, good on plasma TV, awful on monitor (it's expected my monitor is terrible when it comes to interpolating anything lower than 900p).

All in all i think the Wii U version is decent, rough around the edges but good enough to enjoy the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not exaggerating but I wonder if it was caused by something not related to the game or even just an exception. Maybe some download running the background or so? It was pretty much one of my first impressions. I walked outside, picked up the axe and tried to chop some grass. I've played through FF15 and didn't mind the choppy framerate but this was just unbearable.

I played for another hour in handheld mode and the game ran a lot better. I hope it's not the TV mode in general that runs a lot worse.

Unfortunately, that does seem to be the case. The game runs much, much worse in docked mode.

Lylo

I wouldn't be surprised if the game runs at the same clocks when it's docked as when in the handheld mode.

This could explain why it runs so well in handheld mode, because you have a game running at 720p with enough juice to keep a stable 30fps, but not quite enough to sustain a 900p resolution at the same 30fps.

Davey Cakes

Again, I've given games 10/10 despite performance issues. It really depends on overall experience for me. Perhaps I'm not as clinical or calculated as the press. Dark Souls was easily a 10/10. Other games like Mass Effect could've easily been a 10/10 if not for some redundancies in side missions (despite shortcomings in side missions). I'm pretty sure Read Dead Redemption, a game which I achieved "satisfactory completion" on recently, also got close to that 10/10 mark ('d probably give it a 9/10 if not for a few niggling things).

BotW being a hyped Nintendo game predisposes it to high praise but I think when people are blown away with games, they're just blown away, period. Even with flaws, I see no reason why games should not get 10/10 when they are absolutely enthralling to the player in all the right areas. Yes, Nintendo games have an advantage due to pedigree, but the tentpole games usually end up indisputably incredible due to Nintendo's attention to detail.

Anyway, I picked up my in-store purchase at Best Buy today. I let my roommate play the game for the night since I wanted to finish some things in RDR (and he'll have his copy in the mail this weekend, likely, so I figured I'd just give him a preview by using my copy first), but once I start Breath of the Wild myself I'm willing to put aside performance issues, just as I did with Dark Souls, so I can appreciate what could potentially be the best game of the year. I'm hoping BotW lives up to my expectations, even if I'm playing the partially-compromised Wii U version.

Gozert

Played couple of hours on the Wii U version and...

1. There are ocassional framedrops in open areas. Couple spots but nothing serious.
2. No framedrops in shrines so far.
3. Physics can lead to drops also. Chopped down trees falling from high places can slow down the game for a sec etc.
4. Kokiri Village have serious performance issues. The only place so far that it's actually anoying :/

Game looks great on gamepad, good on plasma TV, awful on monitor (it's expected my monitor is terrible when it comes to interpolating anything lower than 900p).

All in all i think the Wii U version is decent, rough around the edges but good enough to enjoy the game.

Hateno Village is also pretty bad.

NimbusD

Having played both versions now the switch is so much better. Yeah it stutters but nothingg like the Wii u which stutters every time you climb a tree. That and 720p on a TV is tough for a Gabe with as much detail as this

arlucool

Came across this video comparing both versions. Really well done, showcasing the differences in textures, level of detail, resolution and shadows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_5qfOO7OKY

As shown in the video, the differences are more apparent when the game is not moving, but when in motion, the cel-shaded look helps in masking everything.

Came across this video comparing both versions. Really well done, showcasing the differences in textures, level of detail, resolution and shadows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_5qfOO7OKY

As shown in the video, the differences are more apparent when the game is not moving, but when in motion, the cel-shaded look helps in masking everything.

Really? I thought the opposite. When things are still I can't tell a difference.

When things are moving you can clearly see the weaker performance of Wii U. Especially in villages.

What I really want is a comparison between villages between versions since that's only really dissapointing thing performance-wise for the Wii U version for me since I love Zelda NPCs.

Amazon might ship my Switch tomorrow or Monday

I am tempted to pay another $60 for the Wii U version just to get my feet wet but I would need to start a fresh game later :(

Well this is interesting. I compared my loading times to Switch Digital now and the Wii U Digital Version is still beating it by quite a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wwc_sbqgLk&feature=youtu.be

Example 1:
Wii U Digital 1.83 seconds faster than Switch Digital
Wii U Digital 3.36 seconds faster than Switch Cart

Switch Digital 1.53 seconds faster than Switch Cart

Example 2:
Wii U Digital ~4.2 seconds faster than Switch Digital/Card

Worst result I got so far was during a game over in a bossfight where the Wii U beat the Switch by 5.25 seconds. Except for New Game and a reset to the main menu neither Switch version ever beat the Wii U

arlucool

What I really want is a comparison between villages between versions since that's only really dissapointing thing performance-wise for the Wii U version for me since I love Zelda NPCs.
Has the framerate freeze the game for you like it happens on the Switch version? My copy arries on monday, so I haven't tried yet, but I would rather have 15 fps on villages than the game completely freezing for a few seconds, :s
Though that wouldn't matter if is also present on WiiU aswell, haha.

Well this is interesting. I compared my loading times to Switch Digital now and the Wii U Digital Version is still beating it by quite a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wwc_sbqgLk&feature=youtu.be

Example 1:
Wii U Digital 1.83 seconds faster than Switch Digital
Wii U Digital 3.36 seconds faster than Switch Cart

Switch Digital 1.53 seconds faster than Switch Cart

Example 2:
Wii U Digital ~4.2 seconds faster than Switch Digital/Card

Worst result I got so far was during a game over in a bossfight where the Wii U beat the Switch by 5.25 seconds. Except for New Game and a reset to the main menu neither Switch version ever beat the Wii U
This is actually fascinating, given how often you can die in the game. I wonder why Aonuma said loadings were faster on the Switch, but it's actually not like that at all?

I wish EAD would spent their time further optimizing both versions rather than being busy working on Dlc :/

Freeman76

Having played both versions now the switch is so much better. Yeah it stutters but nothingg like the Wii u which stutters every time you climb a tree. That and 720p on a TV is tough for a Gabe with as much detail as this

The Switch version is only fractionally better, thats not even a question at this point. You must have some Placebo in effect.

janoDX

I've been playing the WiiU version for 12 hours straight, the game plays and feels great. Stop with the placebos.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I've put about 10 hours into the Wii U version. It's amazing, slight drops on occasion but it doesn't detract from the experience. Breathtaking game!

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Thanks for posting this. I am glad I went with the WiiU and had the willpower to resist the Switch. The differences are marginal.

Game does have some framerate issues but whatever as a lifelong Nintendo gamer, I am used to it.

One thing that kind of pisses me off though is how obvious it is that this started out as a WiiU title. I wish they put the things in that they planned to do with the tablet in the WiiU version.

OverQ

Does the Wii U drop the rendering resolution to 854x480 on the gamepad for off-tv play? The framerate seems smoother.

Skyzard

Banned
Does the Wii U drop the rendering resolution to 640x480 on the gamepad for off-tv play? The framerate seems smoother.

It does seem smoother to me too but I don't know what's going on. It doesn't look that low of a resolution. It looks really good on the gamepad, which may just be masking the framerate.

Zoracka

Having played the Wii U version for approximately 10 hours, the framerate is pretty bad. Sometimes it's steady at 30 when out in the field, sometimes it drops down to what feels like the half. In my experience, it sometimes messes up the combat. It runs fine in Shrines, for the most part. I should probably try playing it on the gamepad.

What I've tried of the switch version (handheld), it seems a lot more stable. I don't see much difference in quality, but in my experience it runs much better on the switch. Admittedly, I've not played much on the switch version.

What really stood out to me, however. The game runs terrible when in the plateu on the Wii U. It improves significantly when you get off it. I didn't experience those problems on the switch.

-MB-

It does seem smoother to me too but I don't know what's going on. It doesn't look that low of a resolution. It looks really good on the gamepad, which may just be masking the framerate.

That i sbecause the gamepad is only 640x480, so a game rendered at that res wont look worse than a 720p one downscaled.
And gamepad streams ARE 480p anyway.

OverQ

854x480 is the Wii U gamepad resolution (I made a mistake in my post and gave a 4:3 resolution). I'm wondering if the Wii U gamepad displays a downsampled 1280x720 image and as you say it's just the display that's masking the issues or if it actually renders the game at 854x480 and has better performance?

I don't actually know how off-tv works but I know there are games that mirror the tv image and others that put a message on the tv and only send an image to the gamepad, again I don't know if there's a difference there.

So far I'm definitely glad I gave my Wii U its swansong but I'll be interested in the results when DF analyse some of the later sub 20fps areas on both systems, those are really jarring on the Wii U at least.

Skyzard

Banned
^That's what I'm curious about too - I don't think so because of how good it looks on the gamepad and switching between gamepad and TV mode is quite fast, but it's possible. Not sure how that's testable though.

That i sbecause the gamepad is only 640x480, so a game rendered at that res wont look worse than a 720p one downscaled.
And gamepad streams ARE 480p anyway.

Not entirely true though, when you have a higher resolution than your screen and you downsample it, you get less aliasing. I wonder if it switches internal resolution, I don't think so.

Digital Foundry have done their Switch VS Wii U Video now::

Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch vs Wii U Comparison + Frame Rate Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yFON2UON3k

Not the detailed analysis I hoped for tbh - but this is sooner than I expected and they'll have a deeper one later, thanks for posting.

Summary of this analysis:

• 720p vs 900p (they're comparing the tv performance of both - undocked switch runs better and at 720fps)
  • Improved audio on Switch is hard to discern, even with headphones
  • Better texture filtering on Switch, every other effect is identical
  • Docked mode and WiiU performance is similar: just in different areas on the Great Plateau* (which is only what was tested here* - both have the drops to 20fps, especially when approaching a new area quickly

*To expand - the video shows the WiiU staying at 20fps as they descend from the first hill you see in the game for a few seconds, while Switch stays at 30fps, as Link keeps going and runs into enemies to attack, Switch stays at 20fps for a few seconds and WiiU is at 30.

Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349802

nOoblet16

Can someone with Wii U and a 4K tv confirm if it is better to set the Wii U in 720p or 1080p for scaling and performance purposes?
Setting it to 1080P means the image will be scaled twice, once by console and once by TV. 720P would mean only the TV scales it...So my bet is on the latter looking better.

JerkShep

Stupid question and not sure if it's the place to ask but whatever: I'm running the Wii U digital version from an external HDD I used for Xenoblade Chronicles X as well (and it didn't give me any problems at all). I could make a bit of space and transfer it on the system memory instead. Is it possible that I could see a slight increase in performance installing it in the internal memory or it doesn't seems likely?

Stupid question and not sure if it's the place to ask but whatever: I'm running the Wii U digital version from an external HDD I used for Xenoblade Chronicles X as well (and it didn't give me any problems at all). I could make a bit of space and transfer it on the system memory instead. Is it possible that I could see a slight increase in performance installing it in the internal memory or it doesn't seems likely?
Load times will be better for sure. So maybe performance as well, but its hard to measure

Belakor

Banned
So did the update fix performance on the WiiU console? Also,does setting the WiiU to 720p or 1080i have any effect on performance?

Top Bottom