• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild Comparison Thread (Wii U vs. Switch)

Cday

Banned
There are a few areas where the framerate is awful. They seem to be areas with big buildings, multiple npcs, fire effects. They're not areas where you'll be have to be doing combat (so far).

You can play this with either a Pro Controller or Gamepad. You will need a Gamepad for certain parts that use the gyro control method. It will tell you to switch controllers.

Outside of those few locations the game ruins reasonably well. It's worth it to get this on whatever you can.

Jacce

Banned
So the real answer for a definitive edition seems to be Wii U version + Wii U emulator.

16xAA and AF, 60fps, etc

CEMU wont run this game as smooth as Switch anytime soon. Nor can a emulator play this natively on a handheld. Switch is objectively the superior version, not to say one can't enjoy the WiiU one but to try to claim it's definitive is just not true.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
CEMU wont run this game as smooth as Switch anytime soon. Nor can a emulator play this natively on a handheld. Switch is objectively the superior version, not to say one can't enjoy the WiiU one but to try to claim it's definitive is just not true.

I technically never said it would do it right now. My post is mainly for those who'd rather wait about a year or so and enjoy a better version of the game with no framerate or AA issues. That version will eventually be the Wii U version because that emulator is further along than the eventual Switch emulator.

purdobol

Well it was measured and proven so you are wrong: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=942130

In this instance a SSD saved a whopping 3 seconds over NAND while HDD was the same. Maybe the NAND is even slower? Would not look good for the Switch game cards of course

Just turn off energy saving for HDD to avoid spinning down the drive and done.
If it's quality HDD that can reach 60MB/s there'll be no difference... period.

Just turn off energy saving for HDD to avoid spinning down the drive and done.
If it's quality HDD that can reach 60MB/s there'll be no difference... period.
Then it still means that the internal NAND has worse read speed than 60 MB and the switch game cards are even below that, which is interesting

general draw distance appears the same. Level of detail (LoD) is not the same.
Any comparisons for us? Looks about the same for me

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I read quite a number of tweets and comments that are saying that the framerate on Switch is also quite unstable. At least it doesn't seem to dip as much as the Wii U version at its worst.

Level of detail (LoD) is not the same.

Are you sure it's not because of the resolution?

I technically never said it would do it right now. My post is mainly for those who'd rather wait about a year or so and enjoy a better version of the game with no framerate or AA issues. That version will eventually be the Wii U version because that emulator is further along than the eventual Switch emulator.

You're looking at weeks and maybe months, rather than a year.

dan2026

If the framerate is so unstable in both version why is this not reflected in the reviews?
I find it weird that framerate matters so little to people.

If the framerate is so unstable in both version why is this not reflected in the reviews?

Exactly my thought. Played for just 10 minutes or so and the frame rate dropped to 15fps or less on the Switch. A game shouldn't be awarded a 10/10 if it has major technical issues. I haven't played too much yet but I really hope this gets better. :(

Angel_DvA

like I said on the OT, the game looks and run like shit, what a eyesore lol but the game is pretty good so far, please play it on the tablet or just don't, terrible experience on my TV, especially after HZD on a 4K screen.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
So the real answer for a definitive edition seems to be Wii U version + Wii U emulator.

16xAA and AF, 60fps, etc

If after all this time xenoblade x isn't the definitive edition on Cemu then don't hold your breath thinking Zelda will. A game that is the only real comparison to Zelda in size and world on the Wii u. At this time xenoblade x is trash on Cemu.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If after all this time xenoblade x isn't the definitive edition on Cemu then don't hold your breath thinking Zelda will. A game that is the only real comparison to Zelda in size and world on the Wii u. At this time xenoblade x is trash on Cemu.

That's straight up false. Xeno X is perfectly running now on CEMU using the shader cache. At 4k no less.

And I don't understand this tendency to piss on emulator. I mean the same thing happened also with Dolphin, it ended up being the best place to play some game. And there's nothing wrong with that. Get over it. (and I have a Switch and a Zelda for it)

Schnozberry

I played the game for about 2 hours last night after getting home, and I had one instance of a frame drops that lasted 5 seconds in the same place GameXplain did their frame rate comparison video. After that it hasn't dropped once. I just completed the first two shrines, though.

Necro900

16xAA and AF, 60fps, etc

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath for 60fps. The game is capped at 30fps and that's it.

BUT, it will probably be FAR more stable than how the game is currently running on either WiiU and Switch. Plus all the emulator's bells and whistles, so higher res, AA, AF and all that.

That's straight up false. Xeno X is perfectly running now on CEMU using the shader cache. At 4k no less.

And I don't understand this tendency to piss on emulator. I mean the same thing happened also with Dolphin, it ended up being the best place to play some game. And there's nothing wrong with that. Get over it. (and I have a Switch and a Zelda for it)

Also this.

It's like the third thread where I see people basically shit on Wii U emulation while not being educated at all on the subject.
The emulator made enormous progress over the course of a short span of time, that's true, but that's not an excuse for not knowing that right now some Wii U games run flawlessly on PC at 4K, provided you apply a complete shader cache.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

"Note that it is very difficult to generate a 100% complete shadercache for large games and therefore this will not definitely completely eliminate stuttering"

The stuttering might not bother you but it annoys me and I have used a 100% shader cache for Wind Waker HD and the game still stuttered. Gave up on playing it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
uuuh, one of the best game of the last two gen just launched and people discuss about CEMU!? :\

weird to me.

btw Wii u version is inferior, but if someone is interested only in zelda and already has a wiiu should play it there. game is fantastic.

Dunkley

Glad the WiiU version isn't lagging too far behind, my copy should be arriving tomorrow and I can't wait to play and eventually dump it to play the game in CEMU.

Davey Cakes

I'm typically a framerate whore for games, but I make exceptions where necessary. Just recently came off of the Xbox 360 version of Dark Souls which is a 10/10 game for me, but had horrendous framerate at times. I wish it wasn't a necessary concession for a Nintendo game but with something as grand and ambitious as Breath of the Wild, I'll have to deal.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Exactly my thought. Played for just 10 minutes or so and the frame rate dropped to 15fps or less on the Switch. A game shouldn't be awarded a 10/10 if it has major technical issues. I haven't played too much yet but I really hope this gets better. :(

I hope you're exaggerating, or that issues this severe are very rare. Otherwise this is gonna be a terrible experience. Temporary drops to 20? Awful, but I can live with it I guess. But 15fps? Simply unacceptable.

Necro900

"Note that it is very difficult to generate a 100% complete shadercache for large games and therefore this will not definitely completely eliminate stuttering"

The stuttering might not bother you but it annoys me and I have used a 100% shader cache for Wind Waker HD and the game still stuttered. Gave up on playing it.

I find it hard to believe, since TWWHD is far more linear that it appears. Was it really complete? Have you deleted your old cache in the precompiled folder before using the new one in the transferable folder?

Also what you're saying now about stuttering is quite a far cry from "XCX on CEMU is trash".

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
uuuh, one of the best game of the last two gen just launched and people discuss about CEMU!? :\

weird to me.

The discussion is related to the comparison and game's issues. I don't see the weirdness here.

Strings

The Easy Allies review received a ton of angry dislikes for giving the game 4.5/5. Iunno. The game is phenomenal, but the fps is super distracting.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just don't see the point in the switch at all with such a minor increase in performance, it's just a reinvented Wii-U at best, this game should be running 60 fps locked @ full HD on the Switch, really poor show from Nintendo.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just don't see the point in the switch at all with such a minor increase in performance, it's just a reinvented Wii-U at best, this game should be running 60 fps locked @ full HD on the Switch, really poor show from Nintendo.

If the Switch was the next home console from Nintendo it probably would (or at 30 with noticeably upgraded visuals). But it's not, it's their next handheld.

sirap

I played the game for about 2 hours last night after getting home, and I had one instance of a frame drops that lasted 5 seconds in the same place GameXplain did their frame rate comparison video. After that it hasn't dropped once. I just completed the first two shrines, though.

You haven't reached the areas where the game starts to chug then. Trust me, it'll happen no matter the version you play.

The Easy Allies review received a ton of angry dislikes for giving the game 4.5/5. Iunno. The game is phenomenal, but the fps is super distracting.

EZA's score is definitely the one I'm most happy with. BOTW is a phenomenal game but the bad performance should definitely affect the score.

Just started up the Switch version and
the Sheikah Slate is totally just a Wii U Game Pad.
My favorite system done dirty for a crossgen launch.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
If the Switch was the next home console from Nintendo it probably would (or at 30 with noticeably upgraded visuals). But it's not, it's their next handheld.

I made a thread stating that I believe the Switch is a handheld first but got shot down by many people on here, that being said it was quite a while ago so maybe opinions have changed a little now, the thing is though Nintendo is pitching it as a console first so expectations are there for it to perform like one, If I bought this system to be used primarily in the house as I imagine most will be I would be sorely disappointed.

Teletraan1

Banned
Downloading the Wii U version now. Can't wait. I wasn't going to get a switch till the holidays and was considering waiting but I am not going to play in handheld mode, only docked and the performance seems bad there too. Plus I can possibly play this in CEMU soon so it will be the definitive tertiary version.

Roarer

Been playing the Wii U version for 3-4 hours now. Loving it so far. Yes, the frame rate takes a dive occasionally, but not to the point where I find it distracting or annoying (I'm mainly a 60 fps PC guy, so...).

It's a 720p game and has the IQ of a 720p game.

Still think it looks gorgeous and I find myself stopping to just look at the world and take in the atmosphere.

Definitely don't regret NOT spending $300/3600SEK on a Switch. I'll pick one up eventually, for sure, but for BotW I'm perfectly happy sticking with the Wii U.

Teletraan1

Banned
I made a thread stating that I believe the Switch is a handheld first but got shot down by many people on here, that being said it was quite a while ago so maybe opinions have changed a little now, the thing is though Nintendo is pitching it as a console first so expectations are there for it to perform like one, If I bought this system to be used primarily in the has as I imagine most will be I would be sorely disappointed.

This whole Chunky soup like debate is pretty tiring. The device is both, it is a hybrid. Its name indicates as much. It is being marketed as both. It should perform equally as well in both modes. The poor performance in docked mode is worrying and I hope they can sort it out going forward.

I hope you're exaggerating, or that issues this severe are very rare. Otherwise this is gonna be a terrible experience. Temporary drops to 20? Awful, but I can live with it I guess. But 15fps? Simply unacceptable.

Not exaggerating but I wonder if it was caused by something not related to the game or even just an exception. Maybe some download running the background or so? It was pretty much one of my first impressions. I walked outside, picked up the axe and tried to chop some grass. I've played through FF15 and didn't mind the choppy framerate but this was just unbearable.

I played for another hour in handheld mode and the game ran a lot better. I hope it's not the TV mode in general that runs a lot worse.

MilkyJoe

reading-ikea-intructions-big-lebowski-confused.gif

You must have accidentally posted the same version each time...

Harp

Been playing the Wii u version for a few days and pretty much anytime your interacting in a group larger then 3 there is slow down. Games is great but at the same time remove the Nintendo logo and change the name of the game to something other then Zelda. And it's not getting a 10. Due to performance. It's a sad double standard.

mcfrank

Just played for 30 minutes on the switch not docked and it was buttery smooth and looked great. That seems to be the best way to play.

Teletraan1

Banned

weird to me.

btw Wii u version is inferior, but if someone is interested only in zelda and already has a wiiu should play it there. game is fantastic.

They are discussing the very real possibility of running one of the best games of the last two generations better than Nintendo's own hardware does. Nothing weird at all.

Been playing the Wii u version for a few days and pretty much anytime your interacting in a group larger then 3 there is slow down. Games is great but at the same time remove the Nintendo logo and change the name of the game to something other then Zelda. And it's not getting a 10. Due to performance. It's a sad double standard.

Yes, every single games journalist on earth is biased towards Nintendo. That must be it.

Wow. Well I guess I'll be getting the Wii U version and waiting until we see what the new Mario game is like for the Switch.

Going to wait a while though since I'm playing Horizon now and it would be painful to play Zelda right after that from a graphics perspective.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The Wii U version is 720p, which is a perfect divisor of 2160p, so it'll scale better on a 4K screen than the 900p version.

Yeah.

Only really if its nearest neighbor scaling (which almost nothing natively uses or has the option for unfortunately.)

Otherwise, its still gonna scale near the same, and 900p will look marginally better since it'll have more samples. I've got an example of this on my home PC from Resident Evil 5 I can post later if wanted.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Might be pretty tough to find a copy of the Wii U version in a year or so. I doubt Wii U versions will be plentiful period.

Top Bottom