• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
For what it's worth, I'm Jewish and I didn't take any offence from it. The whole topic just seems pants-on-head crazy.

Phew. I don't actually believe it myself, but I find that whole shebang to be just the most fascinating story. And if anything, being part alien makes you even more special :) I've been hashing this all out for a book I'm trying to write and find it just so interesting.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Thanks Sheep. The long term plan is to make it to late middle age without burning out and retire to a country cottage where we can keep dogs, pigs and chickens. In the short term, I'm just glad to make it to the end of the day without tears / getting the sack / swearing at someone.

Oh sploat! If it is that bad day by day, than please do give some thought to getting out earlier. I've done the burnout thing and it is not pleasant, and I burned out just two years before pension entitlement/early retirement kicked in which kind of scuppered the long-term plans altogether. Please don't end yourself up in that situation.

I know bugger all about dogs/pigs etc, but can thoroughly recommend running your own small business in a small town somewhere. With your background all the mechanics of it should be a doddle, and the constant flow of happy customers is a real boost to the soul.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Snowden? Aliens? That'll while away the hours at work.

What is this Adventure Time of which thoust speak?

Adventure time is the most awesome cartoon ever. It's on Cartoon Network all the time, so if you have tivo you can get like 10 episodes a day downloaded. Completely off the wall, very cute. It's like a modern Ren and Stimpy but much more joyful and sweet.

adventure-time-2.jpg

How Jewish are you? I mean, are you Jewish just because you were raised that way but you don't really practise your religion, or do you still believe in it whole heartedly and follow it daily?

This is just a barely disguised penis question innit

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'll get on that Adventure Time stuff then. I recognise some of the characters probably by osmosis.

That Snowden thing: Aliens were behind the rise of Nazi Germany is a major plot point in Mark Millar's Ultimates series, so if the "Tall Whites" are supposedly trying to hide their existence, they really need to get into the comic biz.

theaface

How Jewish are you? I mean, are you Jewish just because you were raised that way but you don't really practise your religion, or do you still believe in it whole heartedly and follow it daily?

I'm not much of a believer and left to my own devices, I probably wouldn't practice much, if anything, at all. I do love some of the traditions/festivals/foods though.

My fianceé was brought up more religious and so for her benefit our house is kosher. We eat whatever when we're out and about though. Like most religions, there's a big old dose of contradictions and selective beliefs!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Oh sploat! If it is that bad day by day, than please do give some thought to getting out earlier. I've done the burnout thing and it is not pleasant, and I burned out just two years before pension entitlement/early retirement kicked in which kind of scuppered the long-term plans altogether. Please don't end yourself up in that situation.

I know bugger all about dogs/pigs etc, but can thoroughly recommend running your own small business in a small town somewhere. With your background all the mechanics of it should be a doddle, and the constant flow of happy customers is a real boost to the soul.

Aw thanks! I'm hoping not to. I thought it would be great to move up the corporate ladder but the higher up you get the more you need to lead things. I know that's not particularly insightful but I'm still adjusting to needing to be all corporate and grown up about these things and speak authoritatively and so on. I generally have a prob with depression / anxiety (my dad is bipolar and generally my famille all got the shallow end of the gene pool) and am coming off tablets so I'm probably just massively insecure at the moment. I'm moaning for no reason really. I probably just need a good nights sleep and some scrambled eggs.

NinjaBoiX

Oh an my vote for next OP subtitle is Jimbor's Nerds, Birds and Turds suggestion. It's poifik
Yeah, this is definitely the best suggestion so far.

I also like "Fuck That Noise" as it's a great phrase, but also as a little gag at the old timers confused and disgusted by all that pounding electro music. ;)

The "future Nigerian lottery winners" one was pretty good, but maybe too specific and cliquey.

What is everyone having for lunch today?
Tuna with steamed veg and rice and a glass of OJ.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'll get on that Adventure Time stuff then. I recognise some of the characters probably by osmosis.

That Snowden thing: Aliens were behind the rise of Nazi Germany is a major plot point in Mark Millar's Ultimates series, so if the "Tall Whites" are supposedly trying to hide their existence, they really need to get into the comic biz.

Indeed, that was the Chitauri or Reptiloids though. The Tall Whites make more sense to me given their Ayrian looks and cold disdain for humanity - read up on them if you get a chance, it's a great story. This airman was apparently stationed with them for months, and the only respected him when he survived being shot through the neck by one of them as the others watched on impassively. They also have very radioactive jetpack style propulsion suits where groups of them will link together to make a kind of chariot for transport. So radioactive it looked like a burning white horse speeding around the nevada flats, so bright that it would blind you for about an hour if you were to look at it. HOW COOL IS THAT?!

Right now my idea is that there were two sides of aliens, each one financing and providing either the Nazis or Allies with tech and knowledge. Allies win, being the first side to get a nuke. Problems to this idea would be why the relatively low level of tech? Which brings me to think that maybe the aliens have been here for a long time and are more of an indigenous species than we'd expect. Perhaps they were living in Agartha, in the Hollow Earth caverns under the Himalayas?

In the 70s the US is reported to have found an underground Grey base at Dulce New Mexico, triggering a brief and brutal war where the humans were quickly obliterated. Not sure what happened next, nobody seems to know.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed, that was the Chitauri or Reptiloids though.

A reptiloid smear campaign?!

The Tall Whites make more sense to me given their Ayrian looks and cold disdain for humanity - read up on them if you get a chance, it's a great story. This airman was apparently stationed with them for months, and the only respected him when he survived being shot through the neck by one of them as the others watched on impassively. They also have very radioactive jetpack style propulsion suits where groups of them will link together to make a kind of chariot for transport. So radioactive it looked like a burning white horse speeding around the nevada flats, so bright that it would blind you for about an hour if you were to look at it. HOW COOL IS THAT?!

Right now my idea is that there were two sides of aliens, each one financing and providing either the Nazis or Allies with tech and knowledge. Allies win, being the first side to get a nuke. Problems to this idea would be why the relatively low level of tech? Which brings me to think that maybe the aliens have been here for a long time and are more of an indigenous species than we'd expect. Perhaps they were living in Agartha, in the Hollow Earth caverns under the Himalayas?

In the 70s the US is reported to have found an underground Grey base at Dulce New Mexico, triggering a brief and brutal war where the humans were quickly obliterated. Not sure what happened next, nobody seems to know.

Oh, man. Is this for your novel? I was going to ask about that.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
A reptiloid smear campaign?!

Oh, man. Is this for your novel? I was going to ask about that.

Yeah, all part of the world I'm building. I still have no story for a throughline though, bugging the shit out of me. But I'm starting to have the cosmology of the world all mapped out from Mesopotamian times through to current day. Did u no that humans were biologically engineered by the reptiloids to covet and hoard gold? All so it can be easily collected when the time comes. Did you know that 9/11 was the worlds biggest bank robbery?

9/11 is a key part of my universe that I've not worked out yet. Possibly it will be an event with many different outcomes for different groups. But it's so complicated still. One day.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
No story? I thought you had one before?

Good grief. Where do you find the time, man?

I kinda have a story but it's a basic conspiracy Enemy of the State type thing which is pretty rote. I want to get to the weird stuff quickly and blow the doors open, because the weirdness is exponential. So do you have a character who knows this stuff already and is explaining it to the reader, or do you have a character who is discovering things, in which case how do you stop them being annoyingly mind blown every few pages?

Or I could just go super wide angle and just have lots of mini stories throughout history, linking together to form a narrative. Stuff like the Nazis finding Agartha and the Dulce Wars and the strange Tall Whites and the Eisenhower accord after the one day invasion of Washington and the 9/11 robbery right through to the Google Brain being swtiched on and being the brain of God/5th dimensional being in our universe... But that seems like real hard work!

Oh an my vote for next OP subtitle is Jimbor's Nerds, Birds and Turds suggestion. It's poifik

Yeah I agree this sums us up pretty well

I'm not much of a believer and left to my own devices, I probably wouldn't practice much, if anything, at all. I do love some of the traditions/festivals/foods though.

My fianceé was brought up more religious and so for her benefit our house is kosher. We eat whatever when we're out and about though. Like most religions, there's a big old dose of contradictions and selective beliefs!

Thanks for answering. I'm massively interested in religion and religious people, and specifically what makes or keeps people religious.

What is everyone having for lunch today?

Sainsburys be good to your self tomato and 3 bean soup, weight watchers lemongrass and ginger biscuits (2). Lots of water.

Day two of Atkins (induction phase), so it's a miserable effort - Some mozarella, some brie, some cucumber, some corned beef, some piri piri chicken. :/

I've never quite understood this. How are you supposed to lose weight eating so much fat?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Reading about the Hollow Earth, how cool is this?

While the entrance to Bhogavati is somewhere in the Himalayas, believers assert that Patala can be entered through the Well of Sheshna in Benares, India. Says William Michael Mott in The Deep Dwellers: 'According to herpetologist and author Sherman A. Minton, as stated in his book Venomous Reptiles, this entrance is very real, with forty steps which descend into a circular depression, to terminate at a closed stone door which is covered in bas-relief cobras.'

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So do you have a character who knows this stuff already and is explaining it to the reader...

I guess that would make the writing too exposition heavy. Characters who are in the know should already kind of know and act like they know, you know?

....or do you have a character who is discovering things, in which case how do you stop them being annoyingly mind blown every few pages?

That's true. Then you'd have to have the character who is in the know explaining stuff to the one who didn't know, which, as I said, is probably a big no-no.

I guess you could make them surprisingly cynical...?

"The world you know is a lie; a carefully orchestrated illusion to shield your fragile human mind from the awful, horrif-----"

"Bored now." *plays Vita*

"Uh..."

Or I could just go super wide angle and just have lots of mini stories throughout history, linking together to form a narrative. Stuff like the Nazis finding Agartha and the Dulce Wars and the strange Tall Whites and the Eisenhower accord after the one day invasion of Washington and the 9/11 robbery right through to the Google Brain being swtiched on and being the brain of God/5th dimensional being in our universe... But that seems like real hard work!

That sounds amazing, but, yeah... a ton of hard work.

Could you not have faux-documentation interspersed throughout the book, like Watchmen. Hell, you could make the whole novel a series of documents (a la Dracula)that, together, create your narrative. again, that's a fuck ton of work.

In any case, I can't wait to see what you do with it, squire.

Blink Me

These used to have me in absolute stitches.

I'm not sure if it's the case now, but season 2 & 3 of Venture Bros. were Region 1 only last time I checked. Mental.

You can get the first three seasons on DVD now in region 2. Most of those shows you can get the first 3 seasons of I think. Also how could I forget Moral Orel. Aqua Teen was pretty hit or miss. Need to watch Metalocalypse.

theaface

Thanks for answering. I'm massively interested in religion and religious people, and specifically what makes or keeps people religious.

I've never quite understood this. How are you supposed to lose weight eating so much fat?

On the religious aspect, you're very welcome. Always happy to answer questions on that topic, as I have a pretty relaxed view about faith/belief anyway, so tend not to take it too seriously.

The Atkins thing is really straightforward to sum up. It's about what you're not eating (i.e. carbs), rather than what you are. By reducing your carb intake to very low levels, your body switches from predominantly burning carbs to produce energy to burning your existing fat instead.

There's tons of common myths about Atkins that seem to be considered as fact, with eating lots of fat and fry ups being one of the most frequent. In reality though, it's just about cutting out a lot of the carbs that we've become absolutely dependent on (bread being a chief example. A good example would be to imagine a normal meal (meat, veg, potatoes) and instead of having potatoes, you might have a bit more veg instead.

Fruit and veg you can absolutely have liberally. As for meat and protein, these are unrestricted from a diet perspective, but common sense has to apply. A nice piece of steam-cooked salmon is always going to be better for you that fried sausages and bacon. Done right, Atkins shouldn't do a person any harm at all. Like all things though, the minority will misinterpret the guidance and assume that a full english for breakfast, lunch and dinner will keep them in tip top shape.

jimbor

Banned
On the religious aspect, you're very welcome. Always happy to answer questions on that topic, as I have a pretty relaxed view about faith/belief anyway, so tend not to take it too seriously.

The Atkins thing is really straightforward to sum up. It's about what you're not eating (i.e. carbs), rather than what you are. By reducing your carb intake to very low levels, your body switches from predominantly burning carbs to produce energy to burning your existing fat instead.

There's tons of common myths about Atkins that seem to be considered as fact, with eating lots of fat and fry ups being one of the most frequent. In reality though, it's just about cutting out a lot of the carbs that we've become absolutely dependent on (bread being a chief example. A good example would be to imagine a normal meal (meat, veg, potatoes) and instead of having potatoes, you might have a bit more veg instead.

Fruit and veg you can absolutely have liberally. As for meat and protein, these are unrestricted from a diet perspective, but common sense has to apply. A nice piece of steam-cooked salmon is always going to be better for you that fried sausages and bacon. Done right, Atkins shouldn't do a person any harm at all. Like all things though, the minority will misinterpret the guidance and assume that a full english for breakfast, lunch and dinner will keep them in tip top shape.

You can't have just any fruit liberally, berries are about the only ones that I would put under that category in Atkins as they're about 5g net carbs per 100g. As you mentioned, Atkins puts your body into fat burning mode (Ketosis). The thing that does blow minds is the fact that you can eat so much fat but thats only because of the flawed information that fat in the food you equals you getting fat. If you stick to natural fats and avoid processed anything (carbs, marg, hydrogenated fats etc) you'll be in great shape.

I've tried a few diets in my life but the one that ultimately fit into my lifestyle was fasting and exercise. Works wonders.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I AM MAN OF FIELD! I AM INHALE EXPERT! I RIDE HORSE BROWN AND HAVE LASSOO PROFICIENCY BADGE!

This made me choke on my coffee!!

MAN OF MOUSTACHE! HAND SHAKES MANY! HAT OF SUN PROTECT!

Am I doing it right...?

Blimey. Poor you. I remember when they were about a fiver.

It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, otherwise there would be nothing stopping me from going on a mad stabbing spree through the office. It's that or Bath Salts, but they're frowned upon.

Cool, I might hit you up with some religious questions in future, I don't really know any jewish people so you can be my go to guy.

Taking out carbs makes sense, I do that anyway when I'm dieting. But I also take out most fat, sugar etc so as well as no bread, pasta, potatoes, I also don't have cheese, fruit, obviously things like cake and chocolate. I basically have porridge, soup, veg, fish, quorn.

Am I doing it right...?

It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, otherwise there would be nothing stopping me from going on a mad stabbing spree through the office. It's that or Bath Salts, but they're frowned upon.

Do you not worry about the effect it will have on your daughter? Even third hand smoke can be bad for her.

If you ever consider giving up I cannot recommend the book enough - Allen Carr's Easyway to Give up Smoking.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Do you not worry about the effect it will have on your daughter? Even third hand smoke can be bad for her.

Nah, she can get her own.

In all seriousness, when I smoke at home I go through a rigourous cleaning regimen before going anywhere near her: a change of clothes, hand santiser and military grade anti-bacterial mouth wash. Needless to say, I smoke a lot less at home than I do at work.

theaface

Cool, I might hit you up with some religious questions in future, I don't really know any jewish people so you can be my go to guy.

With pleasure. Likewise with anything Jedi, I guess?

You can't have just any fruit liberally, berries are about the only ones that I would put under that category in Atkins as they're about 5g net carbs per 100g.

You are indeed right. I've just found in my experience that beyond induction, I get plenty of fruit in my system that I enjoy, with no diet drawbacks. Nothing beats a nice refreshing bowl of strawberries, raspberries and blackberries with cream, and lose weight with it.

NinjaBoiX

You can't have just any fruit liberally, berries are about the only ones that I would put under that category in Atkins as they're about 5g net carbs per 100g. As you mentioned, Atkins puts your body into fat burning mode (Ketosis). The thing that does blow minds is the fact that you can eat so much fat but thats only because of the flawed information that fat in the food you equals you getting fat. If you stick to natural fats and avoid processed anything (carbs, marg, hydrogenated fats etc) you'll be in great shape.

I've tried a few diets in my life but the one that ultimately fit into my lifestyle was fasting and exercise. Works wonders.
Weight drops off me like a stone. I've already lost a load off my Crimbo gut since eating right and getting back to the gym last week.

I've never used a specific diet, just cut right down on your fat and salt intake and eat plenty of veg. I don't really eat sweets anyway, just a half teaspoon of sugar in a coffee.

jimbor

Banned
Weight drops off me like a stone. I've already lost a load off my Crimbo gut since eating right and getting back to the gym last week.

I've never used a specific diet, just cut right down on your fat and salt intake and eat plenty of veg. I don't really eat sweets anyway, just a half teaspoon of sugar in a coffee.

Fat (natural) and salt aren't bad for you, mane. If you haven't got a sweet tooth, that's half the battle, unless you have a savoury tooth and quaff crisps like there's no tomorrow.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Am I doing it right...?

Hahahaha! Yes, spot on. Its like if you imagine a deconstructionist cowboy barking mad stuff.

I OIL PROTECT! GO HOME HAMID KARZAI! I AM MAN OF CIGARETTE!

I sympathise completely. GAF is my cigarette.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hahahaha! Yes, spot on. Its like if you imagine a deconstructionist cowboy barking mad stuff.

I OIL PROTECT! GO HOME HAMID KARZAI! I AM MAN OF CIGARETTE!

You're some kind of mad genius. I love it!

If you ever consider giving up I cannot recommend the book enough - Allen Carr's Easyway to Give up Smoking.

Thing is, I always promised myself that if I ever gave up, I'd simply do it. I used to live in an off-license and both of my parents were on a ridiculous amount of smokes a week (my dad claims 600 but... Hmmm) and they both just stopped, so I have something to prove in that respect.

I'm not sure if a book could "convince" me to stop. Why's it so good?

NinjaBoiX

No Discordians in here? Figures.
Ian McKaye is my own personal messiah.
Fat (natural) and salt aren't bad for you, mane. If you haven't got a sweet tooth, that's half the battle, unless you have a savoury tooth and quaff crisps like there's no tomorrow.
I know salt has nothing to do with weight, it's just sensible to keep your intake down. And it's the nasty fats I try to cut out, whatever they're called. (Trans-fats or something?)

But yeah, put a bag of Sweet Chilli Kettle Crisps In front of me and I'll happily sit there and graze until it's empty.

jimbor

Banned
Ian McKaye is my own personal messiah.

I know salt has nothing to do with weight, it's just sensible to keep your intake down. And it's the nasty fats I try to cut out, whatever they're called. (Trans-fats or something?)

But yeah, put a bag of Sweet Chilli Kettle Crisps In front of me and I'll happily sit there and graze until it's empty.

Didn't mean to imply that it was, merely that it's bad effects are severely overblown and cutting down to the recommended 6g a day max is likely to do more harm than good. You only need to worry about salt intake of you have high blood pressure. If not, salt away!

NinjaBoiX

I'll be honest, I've never heard of it, I just wanted to make the gag. ;)

I'll have a little read, see what it's all about.
Didn't mean to imply that it was, merely that it's bad effects are severely overblown and cutting down to the recommended 6g a day max is likely to do more harm than good. You only need to worry about salt intake of you have high blood pressure. If not, salt away!
My salt intake is definitely low on the agenda, but I'm very aware of when a pinch becomes a fistful. You see some of these TV chefs chucking half a cup in to meals, and it gives me a clutcher just watching!

But life without salt is a bland place indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom