• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

As an avowed MacKaye fan, it was appreciated. I didn't think he'd be your bag, to be honest.
It took a while for me to really get into them, but yeah, totally awesome band.

Repeater, In On The Kill Taker and The Argument are too good. I'm not a huge fan of Guy's voice though, I hate how he ends words in that whiny drone. Ian just fucking goes for it, Guy sounds like he can't be bothered half the time.

Edit: sweet, I'll check out that track later.
Fun Discordian Fact #1: YOU are a Pope of Discordia!
Mint!

What do I win?
Salt is lovely. That and hot sauce are my food vices.
Hot sauce makes everything better.

Boring old tin of tuna with boiled rice and veg? Whack a few drops of this bad boy to transform it:

6vdQKt6.jpg

Like god's salty spicy tears.

Blink Me

Repeater, In On The Kill Taker and The Argument are too good. I'm not a huge fan of Guy's voice though, I hate how he ends words in that whiny drone. Ian just fucking goes for it, Guy sounds like he can't be bothered half the time.

Do you like Minor Threat as well?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Edit: sweet, I'll check out that track later.

It's on Repeater so you probably know it. Man, The Argument is the epitome of "all killer, no filler".

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The Argument is my only Fugazi record. What are the other must hears? Repeater?

I nabbed last year's Desaparecidos (Conor Oberst Bright Eyes' punk band) 7" tracks yesterday and have been listening to them non stop. Fuck YES. Love this style of punk, super chunky and loud and really angry. I need more. Fans of them should check out Titus Andronicus, also amazing.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

I nabbed last year's Desaparecidos (Conor Oberst Bright Eyes' punk band) 7" tracks yesterday and have been listening to them non stop. Fuck YES. Love this style of punk, super chunky and loud and really angry. I need more. Fans of them should check out Titus Andronicus, also amazing.

There's a song called 'Margin Walker' which is belting.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Definitely Repeater. Listen to that track I posted above (Blueprint) when you get a chance, it's my Everlong :)

Out of the others, I guess Red Medicine is the really essential one. Warning: it's pretty Picciotto heavy.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, but only in passing. I don't have any of their albums.
It's on Repeater so you probably know it. Man, The Argument is the epitome of "all killer, no filler".
Ah, so it is! I'm terrible with track names at times.

Yes, that The Argument is pretty much perfect.

I'd say The Argument and Repeater are the best records. Never been a huge fan of Red Medicine, but the rest are excellent.

Out of the others, I guess Red Medicine is the really essential one. Warning: it's pretty Picciotto heavy.
And therein lies the problem....

I loved Desaparecidos from the other day, well good!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

I know this wasn't aimed at me but I went through a big hardcore phase. bad brains were my favourite until I found out they were quite the homophobes. Overall tho Dead Kennedys are just way way my favourite of all the punk bands, UK and US.

Blink Me

I know this wasn't aimed at me but I went through a big hardcore phase. bad brains were my favourite until I found out they were quite the homophobes. Overall tho Dead Kennedys are just way way my favourite of all the punk bands, UK and US.

Yeah I've heard that about Bad Brains too and never bothered listening to them. In the past I've tried listening to Dead Kennedys and Reagans Youth but could never really get into them. I like 7 Seconds and Gorilla Biscuits as well who are labelled as Hardcore. But Minor Threat are probably my favourite Hardcore band.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I can't get into old hardcore at all, far too quick and brittle for me, not too much of a groove in there. Hardcore starts for me in 1997 with Refused :p

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I can't get into old hardcore at all, far too quick and brittle for me, not too much of a groove in there. Hardcore starts for me in 1997 with Refused :p

I can't link you up, but have you heard later DKs? It has a wall of punky guitar thing but still a bit angular.

Try 'Moon Over Marin' it's one of my favourite songs ever.

If you like Fugazi and haven't seen Instrument, do so now. I really liked Fugazi before, but watching Instrument made me really appreciate them. I had my mouth open during the live performance of Shut the Door, I was blown away.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
If you like Fugazi and haven't seen Instrument, do so now. I really liked Fugazi before, but watching Instrument made me really appreciate them. I had my mouth open during the live performance of Shut the Door, I was blown away.

I feel the same way about Converge. I appreciate them for their skill and influence but it's a bit too heavy for day-to-day listening. But their live DVD is fucking unreal, it's like watching a sport or something. So impressive.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah his voice is definitely an acquired taste but their guitarist is just incredible.
It sounds like someone is violently shaking him while he sings.
I've heard the Instrument record, I didn't realise there was a DVD. What, is it just a live set? Documentary?
Tesco sushi and tropical juice.
Lunch of kings (who only work near a Tesco Express and not much else)
I've had supermarket sushi once, it was super sweet like it had been dipped in syrup.

Blergh.

But yeah, sushi is rather delicious.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I feel the same way about Converge. I appreciate them for their skill and influence but it's a bit too heavy for day-to-day listening. But their live DVD is fucking unreal, it's like watching a sport or something. So impressive.

In that case, definitely give Botch a listen. I think the guitarist went on to play for/form Minus The Bear (not my bag, but he's a genuinely great guitarist).

Not seen it. It's on the list!

Thing is, I always promised myself that if I ever gave up, I'd simply do it. I used to live in an off-license and both of my parents were on a ridiculous amount of smokes a week (my dad claims 600 but... Hmmm) and they both just stopped, so I have something to prove in that respect.

I'm not sure if a book could "convince" me to stop. Why's it so good?

If you can just stop then good on you, but most people can't. Also you tend to put it off if you think you can just stop.

The book is just very clever, going in to all the reasons we think we smoke, and why we actually smoke, and getting rid of those reasons. Just read it, if you don't stop then no harm done right?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
If you can just stop then good on you, but most people can't. Also you tend to put it off if you think you can just stop.

The book is just very clever, going in to all the reasons we think we smoke, and why we actually smoke, and getting rid of those reasons. Just read it, if you don't stop then no harm done right?

This is all true. Yeah, I'll give it a looksee.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, though; I'm under no illusions that it'll be easy. The idea of stopping is terrifying.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Converge are awesome

Converge are fucking awesome but literally all I need is the first two tracks from Jane Doe. Literally the heaviest, rockingest 4 minutes of music ever recorded, it's absolutely perfect. By track 4 I have a headache though :p

It makes me sad that the Jamie Lenman album is not online anywhere. There is a song called One of My Eyes is A Clock that everyone who likes heavy music needs to hear, it's absurdly heavy.

NinjaBoiX

Converge are fucking awesome but literally all I need is the first two tracks from Jane Doe. Literally the heaviest, rockingest 4 minutes of music ever recorded, it's absolutely perfect.
I just stuck Jane Doe on YouTube, I lasted about five minutes. :/

It started well, nice angular riffage and manic drumming, then the tuneless, nonsensical screaming came in. I just can't get away with it, it's just someone screaming into the mic, I don't get it. It's not as bad as when dudes do that low pitched growl though, nothing will turn me off music quicker. It just comes off as super cheesy to me.

As an embellishment to a proper vocal with a melody and stuff it can really work, but when your whole vocal track is comprised of either screaming or growling, no thanks. If I had to pick, I suppose screaming is better than growling, simply because it sounds more natural. You could almost buy that someone is so angry, all they can do is scream into the mic.

But who the fuck growls? Like, ever?

I've heard the Instrument record, I didn't realise there was a DVD. What, is it just a live set? Documentary?

It's like a documentary but there is also live footage throughout.

EDIT: Yeah I could not listen to a whole Converge record, even though I love a lot of their songs. Good thing about power violence albums are that they are so short if you want something intense.

Converge are fucking awesome but literally all I need is the first two tracks from Jane Doe. Literally the heaviest, rockingest 4 minutes of music ever recorded, it's absolutely perfect. By track 4 I have a headache though :p

It makes me sad that the Jamie Lenman album is not online anywhere. There is a song called One of My Eyes is A Clock that everyone who likes heavy music needs to hear, it's absurdly heavy.

I saw them at Download last year. Didn't have a clue who they were, I was going to see HIM who were on after them, got there early and was just blown away, they are so fucking good live.

It started well, nice angular riffage and manic drumming, then the tuneless, nonsensical screaming came in. I just can't get away with it, it's just someone screaming into the mic, I don't get it. It's not as bad as when dudes do that low pitched growl though, nothing will turn me off music quicker. It just comes off as super cheesy to me.

As an embellishment to a proper vocal with a melody and stuff it can really work, but when your whole vocal track is comprised of either screaming or growling, no thanks. If I had to pick, I suppose screaming is better than growling, simply because it sounds more natural. You could almost buy that someone is so angry, all they can do is scream into the mic.

And this is why you'll never be in to metal

Blink Me

Can't remember, been so long since I seen it, though I don't think so.

They play in a correctional facility though and some dudes start playing on the instruments, pretty cool.

I always found that kind of awesome about Fugazi that they'd stop a show when someone got too violent or crowd surfed. Its annoying when I'm watching some band and some dickhead lands on my head or kicks me in the head. Although at the same time it is fun to watch from a far.

NinjaBoiX

Do threads get autoclosed at 20k?
No, a "rate the avatar" thread recently went up to 400/200 + pages.
Haha, yeah pretty much. It's a shame, because I often like the music.

Slipknot is a good example of a band using growling to good effect, it's sporadic and therefore has more impact IMO.
I always found that kind of awesome about Fugazi that they'd stop a show when someone got too violent or crowd surfed. Its annoying when I'm watching some band and some dickhead lands on my head or kicks me in the head. Although at the same time it is fun to watch from a far.
Yeah, they're really vigilant about stuff like that. Fair play I say.

I'll def check out that Fugazi doc, nice one.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Omg ninja and his adventures in missing the point :p converge's vocal is one of the harshest I can imagine, sure, but that's the whole point. It's like the sound of vocal chords and sandpaper, pure fire emitted orally. Blistering, incoherent, inconsolable. It's like complaining about a snuff movie being too violent :p

But yeah, 5 mins is about all I can manage too!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Omg ninja and his adventures in missing the point :p converge's vocal is one of the harshest I can imagine, sure, but that's the whole point. It's like the sound of vocal chords and sandpaper, pure fire emitted orally. Blistering, incoherent, inconsolable. It's like complaining about a snuff movie being too violent :p

Oi! Listen to Moon Over Marin!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeah, they're really vigilant about stuff like that. Fair play I say.

I'll def check out that Fugazi doc, nice one.

I saw At The Drive-in years ago and they were the same. It was lovely tbh. It's nice to be able to stand near the front and not get shoved.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I saw At The Drive-in years ago and they were the same. It was lovely tbh. It's nice to be able to stand near the front and not get shoved.

Awwww, I'd have loved to have seen them in their hey day. Volta just don't cut it.

I saw them at Download last year. Didn't have a clue who they were, I was going to see HIM who were on after them, got there early and was just blown away, they are so fucking good live.

If you haven't already, check out that Botch track a few posts up the page when you get a chance, it may be right up your street.

Awwww, I'd have loved to have seen them in their hey day. Volta just don't cut it.

If you haven't already, check out that Botch track a few posts up the page when you get a chance, it may be right up your street.

Oh I will as soon as I get home!

So annoying not being able to listen to all the tunes when they’re posted, I’m sure I’ve probably missed loads 

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You just wait two to three days until I get in front of a computer and post a link to some amazing live footage of them.

Seriously though, they were as good as you'd expect.

You're not helping my aching loss here. ;)

Oh I will as soon as I get home!

So annoying not being able to listen to all the tunes when they’re posted, I’m sure I’ve probably missed loads 

Man, I've done fuck all today... Terrible. That's phone work for you, when no one's picking up what can you do?

Lemme know what ya think.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oi! Listen to Moon Over Marin!

Just listened to it, was pretty good, better sounding than I was expecting. Funny how obvious the link is to the Sex Pistols. I have a hard time getting into that up-n-down old skool punk vocals but I do think Jello Biafra is one of those dudes you have to give the benefit of the doubt to

Aw yeah brah, my dick hard. How had I never heard this?! It's like a metal version of Shellac

NinjaBoiX

What a wonderful analogy!

I get that the vocals are meant to elicit a strong emotion, which is why they sound so pained and angry, and in that sense they nailed it. I just don't personally like that style of vocal, certainly not to that extent.

But I loved that Blood Brothers track the other day, and that dude was screaming! But it was still clear what he was saying, and it was interspersed with portions where he was just singing, if somewhat manically.

It's just the relentless nature of certain death/black metal bands assault on your senses, It's just a bit overboard sometimes for me.

It's not like a hate metal full stop, I like plenty of heavier bands. But like any genre, some bands are a little more extreme than others!

TL;DR - I'm just not man enough for black/death metal.
Your boy Josh is the same, he don't take any shit! I've seen him shut down some dickheads in a very embarrassing manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom