• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeah Yeah Yeahs released an album in 2013. It was... bad.

I thought it might be. I got into them around the time of the first EP (true story I was at their first UK gig and wondered who those White stripes wannabes with the lady dressed as a Native American were) and I still think their EPs (including Is Is) are better than their albums. But when they're good, they're really good. I once listen to nothing but Y Control for a whole day.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
STOP-UH!

Anyone remember the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the Strokes? Having a bit of a 'retro ish' moment. Even though I know they are both still active.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs first album is great. I saw them a few times, once when Dave Pajo from Slint was providing keys and geet. Yes, I squeed.

Strokes are inoffensive. I like a couple of songs but I completely missed the bandwagon on that one.

Also Beck. Where do we stand on Beck? I really like Beck. My favourite album is either Sea Change or The Information and my favourite colour is blue.

I used to have time for him but... scientologist, unfortunately. Sure, separate the Man and the Art/Death of the Author etc. problem is, it's fucking Scientology.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeah Yeah Yeahs first album is great. I saw them a few times, once when Dave Pajo from Slint was providing keys and geet. Yes, I squeed.

Strokes are inoffensive. I like a couple of songs but I completely missed the bandwagon on that one.

I used to have time for him but... scientologist, unfortunately. Sure, separate the Man and the Art/Death of the Author etc. problem is, it's fucking Scientology.

I was on that Strokes bandwagon in big amounts until the third album. Nikolai thanked me from the stage when Julian was thanking all the fans. I wouldn't shut up about it for a long time. They are incredibly handsome men.

You see with Beck, I find the Scientology creep in his lyrics interesting and his music too good to ignore. Some of his lyrics are just amazing - particularly on Modern Guilt. I much prefer miserable lost Beck to happy collage Beck.

The only Beck song I've heard and liked (out of about 4) is Loser.

Orphans!

NinjaBoiX

STOP-UH!

Anyone remember the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the Strokes? Having a bit of a 'retro ish' moment. Even though I know they are both still active.

Also Beck. Where do we stand on Beck? I really like Beck. My favourite album is either Sea Change or The Information and my favourite colour is blue.
Love Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Show Your Bones is the best record, but Fever To Tell is still pretty badass.

Beck is mint too, Midnite Vultures if you're asking.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs released an album in 2013. It was... bad.
It was definitely a bit too electro for its own good but it wasn't a complete write off. I loved Dragon Queen.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've decided to evaluate my life by how good it is compares to Lumines. At the moment life is good, but Lumines is better.

Cmon dudes give me some scores to beat!

Oh and re Beck, I like Midnight vultures too. I like "hey lady, step inside my Hyundai" 😄

SmokyDave

I've decided to evaluate my life by how good it is compares to Lumines. At the moment life is good, but Lumines is better.

Cmon dudes give me some scores to beat!
I'll check mine later. I don't think it's especially good, but I know I completed that world cube level up thingy on my first run through. Kinda bummed me out because I thought it'd be some long running persistent thing.

Come to think of it, I've probably only played Lumines Vita a handful of times. I burned myself out on the 360 version. I should get back into it.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'll check mine later. I don't think it's especially good, but I know I completed that world cube level up thingy on my first run through. Kinda bummed me out because I thought it'd be some long running persistent thing.

Come to think of it, I've probably only played Lumines Vita a handful of times. I burned myself out on the 360 version. I should get back into it.

Yeah. I did too. A bit like Curiosity.

What is Lumines?

It's a little bit like a squares-instead-of-lines Tetris crossed with a rhythm game crossed with FLASHY LIGHTS AND SWIRLY COLOURS. It's from Tetsuya Mizuguchi and has that whole synaesthetic thing going on. With cubes. I love it because of all the aesthetics but also because it's twitchy and score chasey.

jimbor

Banned
I thought it might be. I got into them around the time of the first EP (true story I was at their first UK gig and wondered who those White stripes wannabes with the lady dressed as a Native American were) and I still think their EPs (including Is Is) are better than their albums. But when they're good, they're really good. I once listen to nothing but Y Control for a whole day.

I think the drop off was much quicker with strokes. Amazing first, poop second. Yyy, Amazing first, okay second then downhill. I find most bands suffer from this in recent (20 years+ when I say recent, a stretch but I digress) times, never managing to go from strength to strength.

Thank god interpol are one and done, there's no telling how much they could've sullied their good name after that fantastic first album.

I saw yyy two nights on the trot once. True story.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I think the drop off was much quicker with strokes. Amazing first, poop second. Yyy, Amazing first, okay second then downhill. I find most bands suffer from this in recent (20 years+ when I say recent, a stretch but I digress) times, never managing to go from strength to strength.

Thank god interpol are one and done, there's no telling how much they could've sullied their good name after that fantastic first album.

I saw yyy two nights on the trot once. True story.

Get out! The Strokes' second was better than the first!

And I didn't mind Antics.

But I mostly agree. I don't follow the modern "indie" bands so much anymore but when I did it was always massive hype around a debut and then a trail off. This is pre-Spotify though.

I'd like it if more bands took the approach of The Fall. Just keep recording and don't stand on ceremony trying to make The Joshua Tree (or whatever the Big Album paradigm is now).

jimbor

Banned
Get out! The Strokes' second was better than the first!

And I didn't mind Antics.

But I mostly agree. I don't follow the modern "indie" bands so much anymore but when I did it was always massive hype around a debut and then a trail off. This is pre-Spotify though.

I'd like it if more bands took the approach of The Fall. Just keep recording and don't stand on ceremony trying to make The Joshua Tree (or whatever the Big Album paradigm is now).

Reptilia is better than anything on Is This It, but the album is nowhere near as good. A real classic.

You both need to stop worth the crazy talk.

New York City Cops and Hard To Explain are better than anything else they've ever done.

Re: big hype and then nothing, I think the Arctics have been one of the few to buck the trend, now that I think about it.

The_Poet

Banned
You both need to stop worth the crazy talk.

New York City Cops and Hard To Explain are better than anything else they've ever done.

Re: big hype and then nothing, I think the Arctics have been one of the few to buck the trend, now that I think about it.

Yeh I think Arctic Monkeys have constantly improved album to album.

NinjaBoiX

You guys are all wrong, Trying Your Luck is the best Strokes track.

Y Control is seriously one of my least favourite YYY's tracks, it's kind of limp. It's no Date With The Night or Pin.
Yeh I think Arctic Monkeys have constantly improved album to album.
True story, they've constantly changed up their sound too. From the bouncy, upbeat punk of WPSIATWIN, to the slightly darker more angular punk of FWN, to hazy stoner rock on Humbug, 60's psychedelia on Suck It And See and big, bold, anthemic blues on AM.
Arctic Monkeys are basically George Formby gone electric.
Really really no.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I didn't like AM that much, it had a few good tunes but overall doesn't stand out from the crowd to me. I got to see them perform live over the summer and it was their old stuff that really got people moving. It kind of seems like they are aging into Dad Rock which makes sense given they've all gotten older. I've just always preferred the bite of Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not.

jimbor

Banned
You guys are all wrong, Trying Your Luck is the best Strokes track.

Y Control is seriously one of my least favourite YYY's tracks, it's kind of limp. It's no Date With The Night or Pin.

True story, they've constantly changed up their sound too. From the bouncy, upbeat punk of WPSIATWIN, to the slightly darker more angular punk of FWN, to hazy stoner rock on Humbug, 60's psychedelia on Suck It And See and big, bold, anthemic blues on AM.

Really really no.

Y control is amaze, fool.

But so is on so I'll let you off.

NinjaBoiX

Y control is amaze, fool.

But so is on so I'll let you off.
Really never dug Y Control, it's a proper fan favourite too. It sounds like them treading water to me. It really lacks their usual venom and riotous energy. But then again I love Modern Romance and that's about as sedate as music gets!

I assume you meant Pin by "on", wicked video too:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Pin
Grab yourself a ukulele and play/sing along. Seriously, it's uncanny.
Alex does have a very distinctive regional accent while singing, so I guess there is that!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Psch you guys.

1. Room on Fire is great.

2. The best Strokes song is probably You Only Live Once.

3. Fever To Tell is patchy. It's not as good as the Bang EP or the Machine EP. Pin is good though. Y Control is amazing.

4. Interpol's second album is good.

5. I want to like the Monkeys but I find his melodies really, really samey. They do occasionally do a song that knocks me sideways though (A Certain Romance, Brianstorm, Don't Sit Down, whatever the last song on Humbug was, R U Mine)

Oh and Bowen we've got a bit of a gaming gathering happening tomorrow round at ours now. Excited! Posting in case any other Mancs want to ask for an invite.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Is it bad that I've never heard any of these Strokes songs you guys keep mentioning and probably only know the singles? I should probably correct that.

NinjaBoiX

can't stand how similar the chord progression/rhythm is to black sabbath's war pigs on one of the recent arctic monkeys singles.
It's on Arabella, and it's thoroughly intentional, an homage if you will. They even segue into War Pigs for 10 seconds or so playing it live. It's only two notes anyway, it's hardly like they lifted a whole melody.

And as you've mentioned it, the cadence of the opening line is delicious:

"Arabella's got some interstellar gator-skin boots,"

It's on Arabella, and it's thoroughly intentional, an homage if you will. They even segue into War Pigs for 10 seconds or so playing it live. It's only two notes anyway, it's hardly like they lifted a whole melody.

And as you've mentioned it, the cadence of the opening line is delicious:

"Arabella's got some interstellar gator-skin boots,"

aye but those are war pigs' two notes!
seriously though the arctic monkeys have taken each album as an opportunity to move away from what i enjoyed about them. love their first two releases and appreciate the development but it ain't for me.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Check the UK politics thread. Oddly none of those complaining seemed to be frequent posters in that thread and look as if they turned up specifically to be insulted.

The guy who said 'reported' is joking I think, it is part of his footballgaf persona. He's a good poster. Jimbor got banned for being a dick, which is fair given that that is what he was trying to do.

Mikeside

aye but those are war pigs' two notes!
seriously though the arctic monkeys have taken each album as an opportunity to move away from what i enjoyed about them. love their first two releases and appreciate the development but it ain't for me.

I sort of thought that but it turned out everything after the second album have been growers for me. Love them now.

The_Poet

Banned
The guy who said 'reported' is joking I think, it is part of his footballgaf persona. He's a good poster. Jimbor got banned for being a dick, which is fair given that that is what he was trying to do.

If his persona is not having a laugh and being a snitch, then hes a shit poster

NinjaBoiX

There's a thin line between washing your cock and wanking in the shower.
Haha, I know this shit. You're soaped up and washing away, and then suddenly, there is more cock to wash. :p

I'm terrible for scratching my nuts while I take a piss. Sometimes I'm done, shaked off the drips and all that, yet I'm still stood there for a good minute or so scratching my ballsack.

Simple pleasures.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Do you really want me to harp on about my new big book of modern collage and also the cinema of Robert Bresson? Sorry, le cinema du Robert Bresson.

Pretentious, moi?

I hope Jimbor is back soon. God speed Spanley!

Nerdkiller

Membeur
TRULY THE MOST INTELLECTUAL THREAD GOING
Truly we are enlightened and EUPHORIC! But not by some phony god, oh no.

8084.gif

The_Poet

Banned
Haha, I know this shit. You're soaped up and washing away, and then suddenly, there is more cock to wash. :p

I'm terrible for scratching my nuts while I take a piss. Sometimes I'm done, shaked off the drips and all that, yet I'm still stood there for a good minute or so scratching my ballsack.

Simple pleasures.

I love a good thigh rub myself.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Incredible stuff...

Yesss Five Guys is opening a branch in Market Square. Cannot wait to see what the fuss is about. I swear every restaurant thread mentions that company.

Volotaire

Incredible stuff...

Yesss Five Guys is opening a branch in Market Square. Cannot wait to see what the fuss is about. I swear every restaurant thread mentions that company.

Apparently it pales in comparison to the US branches and the independent burger restaurants.

NinjaBoiX

Incredible stuff...

Nothing, they're pretty bland to be honest. Not awful, probably better than MaccyD's or something, but when you barely get any change out of twenty quid it's hard not to feel disappointed.

Better off going to a Wetherspoons, the burger is far tastier, you get a pint, and it's like a third of the price.

Really? I went in the US and thought it was pretty mediocre.
Yeah, I was thoroughly underwhelmed when I went. The bun was yeasty and a bit stale, and the patty seemed like nothing more than plain minced beef.

Seasoning, what is it?

NinjaBoiX

Owen is dead wrong about 5guys

Amazing burger (get all the toppings) and the cajun fries are out of this world
I agree with Mike, get all the toppings so it actually tastes of something. Maybe ask how long the buns have been out while you're there.

I'll admit the fries are pretty damn tasty, but it's massively overpriced for how thoroughly mediocre it is as a meal. You could have a pretty decent meal in a restaurant for the same price.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I had a pretty good burger from Via on Canal Street in Manc the other day with the boyf. Angus burger with emmental cheese, a bunch of chips and some onion rings.

Yum.

Top Bottom