• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

MjFrancis

What's borked with Anarchy mode? I've heard some complaints about the game being too dependent on teamwork and randoms spreading their suck around, but aside from that, I'm ignorant on the specifics.

Is Epic cursed? I mean, besides Gears, everything else they've got is in the toilet (how 'bout that last Unreal, huh?), including Bulletstorm. And the fact that Bulletstorm is waaaay underperforming is akin to a crime against gaming humanity, imho.

I know, grousing doesn't help, but still...

Dabanton

Mister Wilhelm said:
Played it up to the second act today.

The action is INTENSE and the production value is unbelievable coming from where it does. I think the skillshots are actually distracting me from having fun a lot of the time, though.

Don't worry about those on a first run through like the best score attack games knowledge of the levels reaps the rewards.

sparky2112 said:
Is Epic cursed? I mean, besides Gears, everything else they've got is in the toilet (how 'bout that last Unreal, huh?), including Bulletstorm. And the fact that Bulletstorm is waaaay underperforming is akin to a crime against gaming humanity, imho.

Has it really done that bad? Thats depressing, it's such a good game. I don't want to live in a world where Homefront outsells Bulletstorm.

MjFrancis

I've got an Echo score of 14685. I can feel my impending success, despite any frustrations I may have.

*edit*

And immediately after, a 14640 and a 14100. I could go on all day like this, but I'm going to top it eventually. I'm just too close - just can't keep screwing up.

Finally: 15320, bitches.

AppleBlade

Just finished it and I really enjoyed it.

The graphics were impressive, I loved all of the color and life the world seemed to have. The character and enemy designs were interesting which is more than many shooters can say. The views/vistas were quite impressive, and really made you stop and look for a minute (I love when games evoke that emotion in me).

I actually enjoyed the story and the dialogue. That really caught me off guard, as I thought this was going to be a weak part of the game. It's difficult to make me laugh out loud, but this game managed to do just that . . . TWICE!

The gameplay is where the game really shines, the weapons were awesome and just fun to use. The leash, charge shots, environmental hazards, and the great guns kept the combat fresh throughout. The game, like many other shooters will throw wave after wave of enemies at you. In other shooters, this is where I tend to get bored and have to push myself to keep playing. In Bulletstorm, when I started getting bored in a big firefight, I would just try to defeat the enemy in a different way to keep my interest (i.e. I'll start ducking behind cover and using my shotgun, then I'd get bored so I'd find a nice spot and start sniping, get bored of that and start using my leash to throw guys into Cactus or human eating plants, etc.).

Ironically enough, I just started a thread on my annoyance with seemingly infinite ammo and the fact that this make ammo count unnecessary. Well along comes Bullet storm which make ammo count relevant again and with an ammo system that rewards you for being careful with your bullets.

As far as the big "action" shooters this gen I've played Killzone 2 & 3, Gears 1 & 2, Resistance 2, Modern Warfare 2 I enjoyed Bulletstorm more than any of those. Keep in mind that I don't play multi-player and I'm not a huge shooter fan in general. I did like Half-life 2 and it's Episodes as well as Bioshock 1 & 2 more than this game, but I'm not sure those games are really in direct competition (well at least Bioshock isn't as it's more of action-rpg shooter).

sparky2112 said:

I don't follow the sales numbers, but I have a feeling that this one will sell well over time.

Tunavi

Banned
I'm hearing reports that the PC demo has been released, but don't let the demo represent gameplay of the actual story-mode

Tunavi said:
I'm hearing reports that the PC demo has been released, but don't let the demo represent gameplay of the actual story-mode

Yeah it's the same terrible demo that was released on ps3/360. I was hoping that maybe we'd get a different one after all that time but oh well. Still getting it on a steam sale.

Teknoman

So has there been any word on whether the PC version will be getting a patch fixing some of the performance issues/aspect ratio problems (small stuff like black bars in 1440x900 if thats possible)?

AEREC

So tempted to buy this after playing the demo on PC...game looks and runs great on my rig.

But I know it will drop to $40 once I buy it at $60...gonna try to hold out.

AEREC

Teknoman said:
So has there been any word on whether the PC version will be getting a patch fixing some of the performance issues/aspect ratio problems (small stuff like black bars in 1440x900 if thats possible)?

This is the closet Ive seen to any kind of official word on a patch:

http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=28050258&postcount=33

Enjoying the game on PC a lot more than I did on the 360 but the letterbox issue and terrible performance on certain resolutions (divisible by 8) are my only issues.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I play it every now and then. It's mostly just aggravating when you need that final finishing killshot but someone runs in and kicks them into a cactus or something. Typically, most teams I've played with seem to get it now but I don't play it too often.

DoomGyver

Rickard said:
Does anybody here still play anarchy?

The lack of competent team mates is driving me up the wall.
Just bought it this past weekend and finished the campaign today, haven't tried echo or anarchy yet though. I can imagine it gets pretty frustrating when people just kill enemies for 10 points and don't bother with the skillshots.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rickard said:
A BULLET KICK IS NOT A BULLET SLIDE FUUUUUUUU

More importantly, your bullet kick can not be finished by your kill. Most dudes seemed to have grasped this on my side, but still. Some will still come in and explode them with the flailgun as we're trying to do it.

Teknoman

Jumped back in tonight since im pretty much done with finals (aside from one more later on) and its just as awesome as when I left it. After having played Gears 3, im surprised Bulletstorm is still much more vibrant, but I guess that comes with the territory.

Still looking forward to some sort of aspect ratio patch...of course the last time someone posted about it was March 25th.

EDIT: Really hope the series at least sticks around for 1 or 2 more entries. The action in this game is about as insane as a Platinum Games creation spliced with Contra.

I bought and finished the game this week as well (PC that is!) and I really really love it. The only thing I do not like at all is the tube levels. Especially when you cannot "jump off" a 20cm difference and you are stuck. DAMNIT!

It's kinda sad that I did not like the other weapons that much. Only used sniper and pistol all the time. They are awesome :)

800 points seems pretty steep for Gun Sonata...But I'll be glad to be playing Bulletstorm again soon with my buddy who is picking it up now. So I'll get to play Anarchy finally.

Abylim

Just picked this up, pretty impressed, but a little frustrated at the lack of new game+. I really wanted to atleast keep my upgrades for the next playthrough!

Genjikage said:
Just picked this up, pretty impressed, but a little frustrated at the lack of new game+. I really wanted to atleast keep my upgrades for the next playthrough!
Yep in fact I would say that is this game's greatest flaw. It's what's held me back from playing it again.

Bgamer90

Banned
Finished the game last night. Great game.

Starts real slow but once things get rolling the game is very entertaining. One of my favorite games of this year.

Jhoan

I beat it on Very Hard yesterday; it wasn't bad at all, as it was pretty fair so I'm done with all the SP achievements. If it had infinte respawning enemies and cheap shots ala this gen's COD games, it would have been frustrating. I've been plowing through Echoes mode now. My favorite guns are the Headhunter and the Bouncer with the Penetrator right behind it but I always use those two in Echoes mode; the explosive bullet is awesome.

I haven't tried out Anarchy mode so if anyone who is waiting till tomorrow to play the Gears 3 Beta (like me) and wants to play Anarchy mode, then send me an invite or a FR with a message so I'll know who you are or if you have Gears 3 GAF added, send an invite to Johan El Fuerte. I'll be on later today if anything.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just saw the Gun Sonata DLC isn't coming to PC. Bummer, since I would buy it and everything. I assume if there's anymore DLC, that'll probably be the case as well.

I blame EA.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
sparky2112 said:

Shadow Complex and Infinity Blade did very good. Top-perfoming games on their platforms.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Snuggler said:
Just saw the Gun Sonata DLC isn't coming to PC. Bummer, since I would buy it and everything. I assume if there's anymore DLC, that'll probably be the case as well.

I blame EA.

They're really pissing me off now.

Bulletstorm
Dead Space 2
NFS HP
Shif 2

All games with paid dlc for consoles and none of them coming to pc ....

MibZ

Neo Member
I downloaded the demo the day it came out, expecting it to be shit.

I always enjoy using pistols in games, so the first thing I did was take out the revolver and try it out, and I hated it. I hate when games have "ironsights" but don't actually have you aim down the sights.

I ignored that and started playing it and I didn't like it at all, I don't see what the fuss is about. My shots didn't really feel like they were connecting with enemies, I didn't like how EVERY melee attack was a kick, and I don't care about shooting someone in the asshole.

MibZ said:
I ignored that and started playing it and I didn't like it at all, I don't see what the fuss is about. My shots didn't really feel like they were connecting with enemies, I didn't like how EVERY melee attack was a kick, and I don't care about shooting someone in the asshole.

k

Teknoman

MibZ said:
I downloaded the demo the day it came out, expecting it to be shit.

I always enjoy using pistols in games, so the first thing I did was take out the revolver and try it out, and I hated it. I hate when games have "ironsights" but don't actually have you aim down the sights.

Dont play the game using the sights, UNLESS you want to score a certain body part shot. Down the sights aiming is only for ultra precise aiming here.

Im biased though, because I dont think just being iron sights are in a game, you shouldnt be able to kill someone with just a normal crosshair.

Whats the fuss about? Do you like Serious Sam, Doom, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Painkiller, Turok, or anything similar to straight up action packed outlandish first person shooters? If not, then the game isnt for you.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Corky said:
They're really pissing me off now.

All games with paid dlc for consoles and none of them coming to pc ....

...and on top of all of that, they're charging us $60 for most of those games, the same price our console bros are paying but we don't get the chance to play any of the DLC that they do.

It's messed up, but thankfully this particular pack probably would have been a rip off.

It is a bit irritating but personally I'm not really bothered as the dlc is mostly anarchy maps. I would like the two extra echo maps but don't think I'd like to pay just for those.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Snuggler said:
...and on top of all of that, they're charging us $60 for most of those games, the same price our console bros are paying but we don't get the chance to play any of the DLC that they do.

It's messed up, but thankfully this particular pack probably would have been a rip off.

Yeah I guess, but I would've killed for that Dead space 2 dlc... :(

grrrrrrrrrrr

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Akkad said:
So is this worth it on PC for $23.90?

Yes.

I paid $60 for it, which is admittedly a bit much for a game that isn't packed with content, but I have no regrets. It's one of the most goddamn ridiculously fun FPS campaigns I've played, there is never a dull moment. Plus, it's gorgeous on PC, I can't imagine playing it without KB/M and 60fps.

it's a no brainer at that price, although I'm sure some people are waiting for that kind of price on Steam before they bite

Olivero

I really cannot tell if this thread is serious or not.

I've been playing through this game on hard. Gunplay is overly simplistic. You literally get 10 one shot kills on the assault rifle. In fact, almost everything is a one shot kill, if not a multishot kill. AI is completely silly. On hard I can take the Pistol, run up beside an enemy, watch him shoot two or three times at my AI partner, and then just line up a head shot and kill him.

The game offers nothing new in terms of Unreal Engine performance, many previous Unreal Engine game sequences make a return:

The end boss from Gears Two (flying in the king raven around a boss) and the vulture sequences are near identical.

A train sequence. The train is on a linear path as a large set piece, essentially a big circle, careens around behind you on it's own linear path. Oh, the mini-gun you have pretty much has unlimited ammo. (That's an interesting point to make because everyone has been raving about how this game doesn't feel like COD with unlimited ammo.)

Large, "epic" moving set pieces are also back.

Dialog is ridiculous. So ridiculous that the characters make fun of themselves,
a) Damsel in Distress, "I'll kill your dicks!"
b) Gray, "That doesn't make sense!"

Despite the fact that almost every line he says relates to dick-tits.

Basically Gaf, WTF? Did I miss something here or what?

EDIT:
REALLY?
To Far Away Times said:
I didn't know they made FPS games that were this fun anymore. Best FPS since Bioshock 1.

Top Bottom