• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

Teknoman

AgentOtaku said:
Is there anywhere to get the PC version for $50 or less?

There was some D2D 20% post in the official steam topic.

EviLore said:
Games d2d has preorders up for, to use the 20% off on:

-rift
-dragon age 2
-homefront
-crysis 2
-shogun 2*
-dungeon defenders
-the witcher 2
-bulletstorm
-the sims medieval
-brink*
-assbro
-dow2 retribution*
-hunted the demon's forge*

*steamworks, according to this list (witcher 2 and dungeon defenders are only steamworks when bought on steam)

EDIT:

http://www.direct2drive.com/2/10279/product/Buy-Bulletstorm-Download?hph

Sale ends Tuesday, use code hailtothechief. Price drops down to $47.96

Teknoman

AgentOtaku said:
How is Direct2Drive?

I snagged Fallout New Vegas from D2D during a christmas sale and activated it on steam no problem. Was a pretty smooth transaction since they give you a key as well as the option to download the game.

Teknoman said:
I snagged Fallout New Vegas from D2D during a christmas sale and activated it on steam no problem. Was a pretty smooth transaction since they give you a key as well as the option to download the game.

Is the key redeemable anywhere? ala can I buy the D2D version and it will activate on Steam?

-PXG-

I don't know if someone else has mentioned this, but there is no mandatory install on the PS3 version. So, no need to worry about poorly optimized bullshit, taking up space on your your harddrives.

From what I hear, the retail version has slightly better AA and is noticeably sharper than the demo build. But that that work a grain of salk though. Lord only knows how old that demo code is. It's probably ancient.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
AgentOtaku said:
Really?

interesting....

No. The big difference with F:NV is that it uses steamworks for its DRM. It requires steam, so of course its cd key would register there even if you bought it elsewhere. Bulletstorm does not, therefore you will not be able to redeem it in steam. He doesn't know what the hell hes talking about apparently.

Zerokku said:
No. The only difference with F:NV is that it uses steamworks for its DRM. Bulletstorm does not, therefore you will not be able to redeem it in steam. He doesn't know what the hell hes talking about apparently.

That's what I figured. Couldn't remember if NV used Steamworks or not

Teknoman

Zerokku said:
No. The big difference with F:NV is that it uses steamworks for its DRM. It requires steam, so of course its cd key would register there even if you bought it elsewhere. Bulletstorm does not, therefore you will not be able to redeem it in steam. He doesn't know what the hell hes talking about apparently.

Oh...sorry for the misinformation then. Did Batman AA come with a CDkey? Because if Bulletstorm comes with a key, I still say theres a chance that you could activate it on steam. You'd still have to log in to GFWL of course, but still.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
EviLore said:
Teknoman... please stop giving out bad advice.

xD

Teknoman

Here's the case, there are certain titles that are steamworkgames that you activate on steam. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_titles

Then there are other games where you can activate the retail version on steam, it appears that these doesn't neccessarily have to be steamwork titles (?), and here is the short list of those games : https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

Corky said:
xD

Teknoman

Here's the case, there are certain titles that are steamworkgames that you activate on steam. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_titles

Then there are other games where you can activate the retail version on steam, it appears that these doesn't neccessarily have to be steamwork titles (?), and here is the short list of those games : https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The majority of the games in the latter category were launched before Steamworks even existed.

bulovski

Neo Member
S1kkZ said:
question for the guys that used their epic/limited edition code: does it really unlock exclusive stuff or does it just unlock the stuff you can unlock by playing? i can unlock 14 echoes maps, so are there 20 if you redeem the code?
You finished it? The limited edition is only a 110kb download and it's supposed to give 25,000 extra points for MP and some visual upgrade for the leash, carbine, boots. Really really useless. Plus I hate the LE cover as compared to the regular edition cover.

-PXG- said:
I don't know if someone else has mentioned this, but there is no mandatory install on the PS3 version. So, no need to worry about poorly optimized bullshit, taking up space on your your harddrives.

From what I hear, the retail version has slightly better AA and is noticeably sharper than the demo build. But that that work a grain of salk though. Lord only knows how old that demo code is. It's probably ancient.
There's no installation but chapters take a long time to load. Is that the same in the 360 version - can anyone confirm? The game runs fine off the disc though - no stutters. I played the demo on the 360 and have the ps3 retail - so obviously there's a difference in the graphics. Final version looks slightly better - it's hard to make out though when there's so much going on screen.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
brain_stew said:
The majority of the games in the latter category were launched before Steamworks even existed.

yeap pretty much, which is why it's rather rare to find a non-steamworks game that is redeemable on steam.

I'm thinking I won't be able to play this anyways because of GFWL implementation. I'm in Afghan you see and I don't see it on the supported countries list =/

Thanks GFWL!

Lingitiz

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
When do reviews for Bulletstorm come out? I was considering picking it up same time as KZ3, but I've seen no reviews at all for it.

I believe someone in here said the embargo ends on the 22nd.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
got about 3 min into the youtube first 25 minutes video and turned it off. i'm sold, no need to spoiler the game any further.

dyergram

Is it me or did steam prices for new games go up I mean I can buy bulletstorm and crysis 2 for £2 pound and have the boxes and stuff :/

I'm surprised there's been no mention of the usual Ustream/Justin.TV feeds that typically occur the weekend before a game launches.

I know watched about an hour of MvC3 matches last weekend...

S1kkZ

finished it, took me around 8 hours on normal.
fantastic game that really surprised me.

+
-the story is the biggest surprise: its really good, relatively deep and funny. its strange that a game like this cares more about the motivation and inner thoughts of its mass murdering main character than uncharted.
its not the best story (its really simple but i take that over the semi complicated bullshit that most other games have) ever but better than most other shooters out there. its also not as stupid as the trailers make you think.
-lots of variety, in terms of gameplay and graphics.
-the storymode is NOT like the demo. the "kill for skill" stuff is there but its never necessary or forced.
-great bosses but not enough of them.
-great use of quicktime events: its rewards you with xp for quick reaction but it doesnt punish you if you miss or take too long.
-weapons feel great
-combat is fun and rewarding. you can just kill the enemies with headshots but its more fun and rewarding (xp to buy stuff) to use the whip and the other options.
-graphics are fantastic, for the most part.
-echoes mode has 16 maps and is really fun
edit: different enemy types keep the combat fresh. some enemies cant be kicked, some cant be grabbed with the whip and some wear armor. fights can get really tough and you have to mix up your combat style.

-
-sometimes the game tries its best to look really bad (camera too close on the characters in cutscenes, awful looking 2d background)
-some slowdown in the last 2 chapters (the game runs rock solid in all other levels), but there really is a lot of shit going on
-last two chapters are not as good as the rest of the game (the pacing from 1-5 is fantastic): lame setting, too many enemies. it drags on too much.
-you cannot use the weapons you get later on in the earlier levels (also not in echoes). that sucks. i really want to go back and use the drill gun in the earlier levels.
-the non realtime cutscenes look ugly, thanks to awful compression. they better do not use that shit in gears 3. looked like an upscaled vhs tape on my 40" lcd.

great game. cant wait to try anarchy online with friends.

Raxus

Reluctant-Hero said:
I'm surprised there's been no mention of the usual Ustream feeds that typically occur the weekend before a game launches.

I know watched about an hour of MvC3 matches last weekend...
MvC3 had a lot more hype going into it (not to say BS won't do well or will be bad blah blah blah) so pros wanted to get their hands on the game to get to learn the mechanics.

S1kkZ said:
+
- great use of quicktime events: its rewards you with xp for quick reaction but it doesnt punish you if you miss or take too long
- combat is fun and rewarding. you can just kill the enemies with headshots but its more fun and rewarding (xp to buy stuff) to use the whip and the other options.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Just curious, what kind of stuff are you buying in the store? How often can you access the store? Do the things you buy carry over to the co-op MP modes?

Thanks!

Nice, I like those impressions.

Really pumped to play this. Went with Amazon ($20 credit) and got release date shipping, so only a couple more days.

S1kkZ

Reluctant-Hero said:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Just curious, what kind of stuff are you buying in the store? How often can you access the store? Do the things you buy carry over to the co-op MP modes?

Thanks!
you just buy ammo, ammo upgrades, super shot ammo and ammo for the whip.
you can also buy the super shot option for each weapon. the stores (drop pods) are located multiple times in each level.

the things from sp do not carry over to mp. mp has its own system: you can unlock new outfits, skins and weapon skins. the weapon ammo upgrades in anarchy happen in the game itself. you start each round with some credits and have to earn more (kill for skill), which you can spend before each new wave/round.

S1kkZ said:

+
-the story is the biggest surprise: its really good, relatively deep and funny. its strange that a game like this cares more about the motivation and inner thoughts of its mass murdering main character than uncharted.
its not the best story ever but better than most other shooters out there. its also not as stupid as the trailers make you think.
-the storymode is NOT like the demo. the "kill for skill" stuff is there but its never necessary or forced.
-great use of quicktime events: its rewards you with xp for quick reaction but it doesnt punish you if you miss or take too long.
-weapons feel great
-combat is fun and rewarding. you can just kill the enemies with headshots but its more fun and rewarding (xp to buy stuff) to use the whip and the other options.

-
-sometimes the game tries its best to look really bad (camera too close on the characters in cutscenes, awful looking 2d background)
-some slowdown in the last 2 chapters (the game runs rock solid in all other levels), but there really is a lot of shit going on
-last two chapters are not as good as the rest of the game (the pacing from 1-5 is fantastic): lame setting, too many enemies. it drags on too much.
-you cannot use the weapons you get later on in the earlier levels (also not in echoes). that sucks. i really want to go back and use the drill gun in the earlier levels.
-the non realtime cutscenes look ugly, thanks to awful compression. they better do not use that shit in gears 3. looked like an upscaled vhs tape on my 40" lcd.

Thanks a lot. I'll grab it

whatevermort said:
This year? This whole entire year?

Well, FEAR 3 doesn't exactly look like it's going change the world. DNF is meant to be fun but aged. So if those are your only 3 options, I'd go with this.

Those should not be your only three options, though. Brink, Resistance 3, Crysis 2, Rage and X-Com all might end up being more interesting than any of those you listed.
Well, I forgot to mention Crysis 2 isn't part of that list. It's fucking Crysis 2, I'm getting it anyway. :p

Doffen said:
So why not wait for price drops?
That's the plan. I may buy one of those three at full price, though.

Rainier

S1kkZ's review sold me on the game. I was planning on holding off, but damn... sounds like something I could really enjoy.

sam27368

Banned
S1kkZ said:

+
its not the best story ever but better than most other shooters out there. its also not as stupid as the trailers make you think.
-weapons feel great
edit: different enemy types keep the combat fresh. some enemies cant be kicked, some cant be grabbed with the whip and some wear armor. fights can get really tough and you have to mix up your combat style.

-

PURCHASED

S1kkZ

updated my last post a little bit. i say its worth the full price. campaign is great, echoes is fantastic if you have friends on the leaderboards, anarchy feels like horde but the target score forces you to work together, gets pretty tough around wave 5.

Dabanton

“Sending ‘em up!” cries my real-life teammate from the other side of the room. On cue I send my character sliding into a corner, and watch as my friend uses his Lash to whip the ground with teeth-chattering force, sending all of our enemies tumbling into the air to freeze high above us, trapped in temporary slow-motion.

Everyone on our team takes aim and opens fire. For no good reason I pick an enemy directly between me and the sun, and try to draw a bead on his vague silhouette. It’s tricky. Eventually I take the shot, flinging two grenades attached to one another by a length of chain up towards him. It’s a hit, and the projectiles wrap neatly around his head. But something happens as I’m about to detonate them. Instead of falling down, out of the sun, he gets catapulted upwards. Someone else has hit him with the flare gun. Up and up he goes, before detonating in a shower of sparks.

(TEAM) SADIST 100PTS flashes up on the screen. That’s the skillshot for wrapping somebody up with the flail gun, then killing them before the grenades explode. I know somebody else got the FIREWORKS bonus for that flare, too. I’m elated, and I want nothing more than to high-five my teammates into space, but there’s no time. We’ve got 21 enemies (and 21 more creative kills) left.

The four of us were playing Bulletstorm’s Anarchy multiplayer mode, which is both ferociously ill-named and a functional antidote for anyone who claims Bulletstorm’s skillshots don’t change the game. In Anarchy mode you defeat 20 successive waves of enemies, but each subsequent wave only shows up if you got enough points on the round before. As much as you’re playing to survive, the real goal is to rack up points, and that’s a task that got considerably more interesting the moment my team figured out the secret. You can’t kill anybody by yourself.

You see, Skill Shot rewards get multiplied if they were the work of more than one person. It’s a science we didn’t quite figure out in our time with the game, but basically if you slide into an enemy, knock them off their feat, then lash them into a massive cactus or something then you’ll get a inadequate handful of points. But if your teammate knocks an enemy off their feet, then you bat them into a cactus, you’ll both get the bonus, meaning your score is doubled. If two of you neatly shred an enemy by pulling him with the lash from two different directions, that’s great. That’s good work. But it’s only half of what you’ll get if all four of you quarter the sucker by lashing him simultaneously.

So, that’s Bulletstorm. The FPS re-imagined as speed-carving a roast dinner. Simply killing an enemy is the last thing you want to do- that’s a disaster. What you need to do is dispatch enemies using any of the game’s 130+ predefined methods, yet these are still traditional enemies and you’re still at risk of death. As such, the Skill Shot system doesn’t ask the somewhat laborious question of “How can you earn the most points?”, but rather “How can you get the most points from this situation you’re in, right now? THINK, BABY, THINK!” And you think, and you say, “Uh, what if I kicked this explosive barrel over to him and then shot the barrel?” and the game says, “Well done, baby! Here are some points that I will shower upon you like gentle summer rain! Now, what are you gonna do in THIS situation?”

The genius of the Skill Shot system is that it inflates every single enemy with the possibility to either reward or demean you, depending on how many points you get. Because the points do matter. In singleplayer they’re what allows you to buy new ammo, unlocks and alternate fire modes, and in multiplayer the points are the point, so to speak. They’re all you’re playing for.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/10/cuts-tears-in-rain-preview-bulletstorm-impressions/

Sounds delicious.

I think the reviews are going to be very good.

ArjanN

AgentOtaku said:
I'm thinking I won't be able to play this anyways because of GFWL implementation. I'm in Afghan you see and I don't see it on the supported countries list =/

Thanks GFWL!

I'm pretty sure you can just enter a different county of origin.

RPS' impressions of co-op are basically what I was hoping for, even though it does sound like individual skill-level within a group will be a bit of a challenge to work out for progression as a team. Can't wait.

luffeN

What is GAF's stance on buying retail keys? Because I paid 30 Euros for the PC Version. It's an EADM download key and it works (well, it worked on other games before).

Dizzle24

I'll be able to pick up my copy tomorrow afternoon; I can't friggin' wait! Played the demo over and over, but I NEED MORE FREAKS TO DECIMATE!

S1kkZ said:

+
its not the best story (its really simple but i take that over the semi complicated bullshit that most other games have) ever but better than most other shooters out there. its also not as stupid as the trailers make you think.
-weapons feel great

-

I actually laughed out loud when I read that.

I'm buying this and Killzone 3 on Tuesday. February is the month of the shooter.

grkazan12

Quick question: Do communities in GFW games tend to last very long? or are they basically barren? (still don't know what to do)

Zeal

Banned
this is a surprisingly well made, goofy, and all around fun to play game. the laser whip mechanic allows for some really awesome kills.

and the amount of profanity is at the level where it's comical.

Top Bottom