• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bundles of Awesome - The Official WiiWare Discussion Thread

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Cheez-It said:
Why not? If it is functionally the same as the PC version, wtf is wrong with the same price?
I'm saying that for the success of the developer. No one will buy a WiiWare game for 2000 points. I know FFCC sold well, but it's Final Fantasy and this is $5 more.

I'm not saying I won't buy it...

Dont know if this has been posted, or if its even legit for that matter, but here goes...

Interview with Luc Bernard - Eternity's Child
http://www.konsolifin.net/juttu.php?site=cube&id=113

Could you give us a short biography — how did you end up making games?

Well I used to do shitty cell phone games for money. How I ended up doing games — I have no idea. I wanted to do movies or cartoons at first, but well I just decided to do games instead. Why? Because most video games are the same, it's either a stupid zombie game or a game with hamsters from mars with a bald guy shooting them. It's the same shit over and over again.

How did you come up with an idea of making a completely hand-drawn game (Eternity's Child)?

I love 2D. As simple as that. I really expected Eternity's Child to be a lot more, I am not happy with the product.

And as a follow-up to the last question: what are your greatest influences in games — or in other arts?

I would say Beyond Good And Evil. And mostly old Disney films.

Do you feel that Eternity's Child is aimed more at serious gamers (hardcore gamers, if you wish) or is it also a good choice for so-called casual gamers?

I don't care about casual gamers.

Have you had enough time for development of Eternity's Child?

To be honest, I am not satisfied with Eternity's Child. I hope that is does well enough for me to be able to do the game of my dreams and not live off noodles.

How do you feel about WiiWare pricing? Is 500 Wii points a price tag you want to see on Eternity's Child?

I think video games are too expensive, and 500 points is enough. I would never go higher.

You certainly speak your mind about things that bother you. I respect that, and it's common in Finland, but what kind of reactions has it caused in the gaming business or with media?

I honestly don't give a fuck, why should I care? I mean for example not many game companies or any really would take me, they all have ignored me in the past, LOL.

So let's put it this way, I don't care about what people think about me. What's important is what people think about the game.

You also have two other titles in development: Imagination is the Only Escape (for DS) and Manufactured Beauty. Is it easy for you to work on many titles at the same time?

It's better for me to do several things that nothing at all.

What can we expect from those titles (Imagination ... and Manufactured Beauty). I understood that you will make IITOE more realistic — in what kind of way?

I cannot comment on that title, it might be dead and reborn as a new title.

What are the first steps for you in game development, after you have come up with the idea for a game?

Finding a publisher that finances and allows me to bring on the right people. Eternity's Child really isn't what I expected or wanted. The reason I hate it, is because well I could not do 2D hand drawn animation or anything — because there was no money for it. So it's really a game that I don't like anymore.

But it's still worth the 500 points, it's just I wanted to do a game that was worth 50 dollars and only sold at 5 dollars.

But if Eternity's Child does well on Steam, it will allow me to become fully independent and set up my own studio and do the games I want to. So let's hope it does well.

How do you feel about Wii in general - since you're an artist, do the technical aspects (e.g. graphical processing) of Wii bother you, when compared to the Xbox 360 or PS3?

HD, its the only thing that bothers me. I'm not a 3D guy. It's just 2D in HD would look a lot better.

What would you like to suggest or tell all the Finnish indie game developers who dream about making games for Wii or DS?

I would say go for Steam on PC.

If you could change one thing in the console gaming business, what would it be?

Me not living off noodles LOL. I could not care more about the industry, I know its a load of shit.
--------------------------------

Well, I...you see its...well...
damn...

rezuth

Is he really an ass or is he just trying to be one?

Edit: What kind of an moron would say his product is worse than it could have been...

What would you like to suggest or tell all the Finnish indie game developers who dream about making games for Wii or DS?

I would say go for Steam on PC.
Is this fo real?

Edit2:
1212882414_lucbernard.jpg

:lol :lol He looks like a damn shemale

Unfortunately I would say there's a good chance Major League Eating goes out tomorrow. No insider info, I just know it was supposed to be ready at launch.

beef3483

Who honestly expects Bernard's game to be good? It seems to me like a game that is more concerned with it's artistic message than with it's gameplay. I think that fact that we really haven't heard much about it's gameplay is telling.

Jiggy

abstract alien said:

To be honest, I am not satisfied with Eternity's Child.

[...]

What are the first steps for you in game development, after you have come up with the idea for a game?

Finding a publisher that finances and allows me to bring on the right people. Eternity's Child really isn't what I expected or wanted. The reason I hate it, is because well I could not do 2D hand drawn animation or anything — because there was no money for it. So it's really a game that I don't like anymore.
Huh. Never thought I'd agree with Bernard twice, never mind twice in a single interview.

beef3483 said:
Who honestly expects Bernard's game to be good? It seems to me like a game that is more concerned with it's artistic message than with it's gameplay. I think that fact that we really haven't heard much about it's gameplay is telling.
Certainly not me, for exactly the reasons you've listed. :/ I've been saying pretty much since day one that I hope this thing bombs.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
AugustDivision said:
Unfortunately I would say there's a good chance Major League Eating goes out tomorrow. No insider info, I just know it was supposed to be ready at launch.

Seems likely, unfortunately. Oh well, we have to get it out of the way at some point.

beef3483 said:

I certainly expect it to be terrible. Bernard seems to have no respect for games, gamers, or the gaming industry. I don't expect anyone with that kind of attitude to turn out a decent game, especially since he doesn't like the game himself. I honestly don't care about Bernard's message, all I want is good gameplay. Unfortunately, Bernard seems more concerned about his message than good gameplay.

Iam Canadian said:
Seems likely, unfortunately. Oh well, we have to get it out of the way at some point.

I certainly expect it to be terrible. Bernard seems to have no respect for games, gamers, or the gaming industry. I don't expect anyone with that kind of attitude to turn out a decent game, especially since he doesn't like the game himself. I honestly don't care about Bernard's message, all I want is good gameplay. Unfortunately, Bernard seems more concerned about his message than good gameplay.

Pretty much. The artstyle is fantastic, and so is the audio(what we've heard), but it really does seem like most, if not all, of the focus is on the artistic representation. Im all for it, i love unique styles, but EVERYTHING comes second to gameplay. Like you and everyone else has said, it doesnt seem like he knows that.

Maybe he has us fooled and he's talented(gameplay wise) but hard on himself......naaaahhhhhhhh....

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
abstract alien said:
You certainly speak your mind about things that bother you. I respect that, and it's common in Finland, but what kind of reactions has it caused in the gaming business or with media?

I honestly don't give a fuck, why should I care? I mean for example not many game companies or any really would take me, they all have ignored me in the past, LOL.
well, i guess the reason why no game company would take him will remain an eternal mystery.. actually, i bet it has something to do with noodles. i've been told smoking them can have this aversive effect on potential employers.

Jiggy

nincompoop said:
Even if the game sucks, it'll still be worth 5 bucks for the soundtrack alone.
I'm all for games that would be worth their price for the soundtrack even if they sucked. To name a couple that are available on Wii, there's Smash Bros. Brawl or Super Turrican. And both of those are actually great games, incidentally (although obviously some people would disagree), but even if they were bad I would have bought them. Here's my sticking point, though: I have to--absolutely must--at least believe in the intent behind a game before I'll buy it. To be a bad game with a great soundtrack is one thing, but a bad game with a great soundtrack (or even a stupendous one!) and with a creative intent that I fundamentally can't believe in or support will never net a purchase from me. Not ever. Times infinity. And so on.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Being a dick is awesome isn't it guys? Makes him look so badass.

To be honest, I am not satisfied with Eternity's Child. I hope that is does well enough for me to be able to do the game of my dreams and not live off noodles.
At least he is honest about his game. I liked the art and the music but it looks like it has no substance at all.

batbeg

Luc Bernard is a cancer on gaming, but I won't go much further than that as I've made my opinion clear in the past (basically think: Jiggy's words, more aggravated swearing).

Cheez-It said:
Why not? If it is functionally the same as the PC version, wtf is wrong with the same price?

It's not the same though, the PC version will technically have limitless levels with level creation and sharing. Though I think it might very well be the same price anyway :-\ At least co-op will be nice, might be enough to make me take it over the PC release.

Jiggy37 said:
I'm all for games that would be worth their price for the soundtrack even if they sucked. To name a couple that are available on Wii, there's Smash Bros. Brawl or Super Turrican. And both of those are actually great games, incidentally (although obviously some people would disagree), but even if they were bad I would have bought them. Here's my sticking point, though: I have to--absolutely must--at least believe in the intent behind a game before I'll buy it. To be a bad game with a great soundtrack is one thing, but a bad game with a great soundtrack (or even a stupendous one!) and with a creative intent that I fundamentally can't believe in or support will never net a purchase from me. Not ever. Times infinity. And so on.

I completely agree. I approach music the same way. There is more to the music than just the music itself, my feelings towards it are also affected by the artist himself.

Anyway...Blue Oasis (Hudson's virtual aquarium) official site has opened. Click on the far right icon to see the promotional movie :

http://hudson-wiiware.com/blueoasis/jpn/j/index.html

Details from the site :

- Customize your tank from scratch, including the glass, the scenery, the lighting, and the type of fishes that will populate it.
- You can choose among 40 species of fishes, and create 6 different tanks
- No advanced technical knowledge required, as there is no disctinction between freshwater fishes and sea fishes, or no need to regulate precisely the water temperature.
- Fish species have different tastes in food.
- You can observe a particular fish under every angle
- Using the Wiimote, you can knock at the tank and see the fishes congregate to interact with you
- Using the Aqua Center, you can learn more details about each species, including detailled history and picture books
- An aquarium's owner can set a special date ("Memorial Day") which the fishes will commemorate by doing a kind of special celebration dance.
- You can send your aquarium to a registered friend (who already own the sofware), and also send greetings on your friends Memorial Day.
- Due out in Japan for June 24th, 500 points.

Looking...pretty nice, actually. I'm personally not particularly into this kind of software, but I can see how this could be very much worth it for someone else.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Stormbringer said:
Anyway...Blue Oasis (Hudson's virtual aquarium) official site has opened. Click on the far right icon to see the promotional movie :
On the Wii Channel view, they should definitely put a status on how your fish are doing. Like it would show "Blue Oasis" and then fade into: "Hungry" or something like that. And I wish it really wasn't going for realism. They should add some fun stuff into there.

wazoo

exactly, real artists are never satisfied. I do not defend this guy, but I see no problems to tell that his game could have been much more with 2d hand drawn animation, it does not mean that the game will be bad or not, just that is the fate of an indie dev, not having the budget of Wario Shake (another Wii game with hand drawn animation). On the other side, you get guys like Itakagi, who are always satisifed no matter what.

And, no problem, with his comments on the gaming industry, which is not different from the music/movie industry.

He looks bad, brrr

Dash Kappei said:

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
So I was going to download "My Pokemon Ranch" just now so I could transfer my pokeymans there and then finally restart my game and then just transfer them back whenever.

So I on the purchase page and along another warning saying you can't trade, battle or basically do anything in this game was this: "If you deposit Pokemon and then start a new game, you cannot withdraw back to that game card."
What. The. Fuck.
Why would they do that? To prevent people from moving pokemon into their game early or something making it easier? why do they even care? This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
I do however like the basically "THIS GAME IS SHIT" warning page though, good going nintendo.

So now I have 1000 points spare, I'm guessing I'll buy LostWinds but I'm not sure, not really into puzzle games so there's not a whole lot left.

Somnid

Look's like Japan is getting TV Show King tomorrow. However they don't have a lineup past that, so officially next week North America will outpace Japan in Wiiware releases.

Updated - Luc Bernard, again...

You previously caused some stir, when you said that you don't "care casual gamers". What exactly you meant?

It's just not my audience, I am not aiming for the people that play Nintendogs or wave the Wiimote. I don't hate them, they just aren't my audience.

- Wiicast had a pretty nice hands-on review of Eternity's Child. People had an impression that you hate the game, but I guess it's not the case.

I don't hate my game, I will always be unsatisfied with my work. All developers are: that's why we do sequels, we always know that we can do better.

Eternity's Child is still the best 500 point WiiWare game in my opinion but I wanted to make it worth 50 dollars thats all.

I'm just a perfectionist.

- Is there some other things, you would like to mention to those, who understood you wrong?

Yes. Just please don't take everything I say so seriously, at least I am honest and I'm not saying Eternity's Child is the best game ever made. I'm not lying with PR and I'm telling the truth, so just don't think I hate Eternity's Child, which is not the case
---------------------
alright...whatever...

truendo

KimiSan said:
So I was going to download "My Pokemon Ranch" just now so I could transfer my pokeymans there and then finally restart my game and then just transfer them back whenever.

So I on the purchase page and along another warning saying you can't trade, battle or basically do anything in this game was this: "If you deposit Pokemon and then start a new game, you cannot withdraw back to that game card."
What. The. Fuck.
Why would they do that? To prevent people from moving pokemon into their game early or something making it easier? why do they even care? This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
I do however like the basically "THIS GAME IS SHIT" warning page though, good going nintendo.

So now I have 1000 points spare, I'm guessing I'll buy LostWinds but I'm not sure, not really into puzzle games so there's not a whole lot left.
I agree with you! I was really mad after I found that out (which was after I bought it). I'm mostly mad because I have D and P and I would like to be able to mass trade between the two. You can transfer at like boxes at a time and it would be WAY faster than doing it one at a time with the long animation scene, especially when you can only have six in a party at once!

I would have bought it reguardless simply because I need space, but this still really pisses me off! I hope they can like a make a hack that will somehow change this (although I highly doubt that would happen).

BooJoh

Something about My Pokémon Ranch is bugging me. I'm probably going to get it, but there are several places in the manual where it says:
Your pictures and Ranch-status info will automatically be sent to your Wii Friends via WiiConnect24.
Can anyone give me more info on this? I don't mind if it sends my Ranch info to people on my Wii Friends who also own My Pokémon Ranch, but I'm not keen on the idea of the game spamming all of my Wii Friends, whether they want me to show them my Pokémons or not.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
abstract alien said:
Updated - Luc Bernard, again...

You previously caused some stir, when you said that you don't "care casual gamers". What exactly you meant?

It's just not my audience, I am not aiming for the people that play Nintendogs or wave the Wiimote. I don't hate them, they just aren't my audience.

- Wiicast had a pretty nice hands-on review of Eternity's Child. People had an impression that you hate the game, but I guess it's not the case.

I don't hate my game, I will always be unsatisfied with my work. All developers are: that's why we do sequels, we always know that we can do better.

Eternity's Child is still the best 500 point WiiWare game in my opinion but I wanted to make it worth 50 dollars thats all.

I'm just a perfectionist.

- Is there some other things, you would like to mention to those, who understood you wrong?

Yes. Just please don't take everything I say so seriously, at least I am honest and I'm not saying Eternity's Child is the best game ever made. I'm not lying with PR and I'm telling the truth, so just don't think I hate Eternity's Child, which is not the case
---------------------
alright...whatever...
Well, I kinda feel bad about calling him a dick. I don't think he's a dick but he needs to be more aware of what he is saying. I enjoy that he is honest, but honesty doesn't mean you have to be a dick which he kind of was.

I think he probably was just in a bad mood or something. Pissed off at what the game was and it didn't come out as he envisioned it.
He means well, I think. Just word your answers better please Mr. Bernard. [Is he reading this right now? :D ]

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
If Pokemon Ranch at least gave you ability to transfer between DS cartridges, I'd buy it. It's pointless and stupid that you can only use it as a storage device for a single cartridge.

BooJoh

Cocopjojo said:
If Pokemon Ranch at least gave you ability to transfer between DS cartridges, I'd buy it. It's pointless and stupid that you can only use it as a storage device for a single cartridge.
Actually I think it said you can have up to 8 cartridges registered to it on one system, but I'm not sure why anyone expected it to allow you to withdraw other trainer's Pokemon. AFAIK all console Pokemon games have disallowed that. As nice as a mass trade tool would be, I wasn't expecting this to be one.

I'm personally enjoying My Pokemon Ranch so far as something that's vaguely similar to Pokemon Snap. The Pokemon and Miis have all sorts of little actions and interactions to watch and take pictures of, and it can save your pictures right to an SD card as JPGs.

mattso

Cocopjojo said:
same here. I was thinking of using it to store some stuff I'd like to transfer to the 3rd iteration of this series (the name escapes me at the moment) if I get that.

Because I'd much rather start with the shiny bulbasaur I have just sitting there because he was the wrong nature for competitive battling.

but since you can't... that sucks.

nbraun80

Cocopjojo said:

well you can store up to 8 cartridges, but you can't give Pokemon from one cartridge to another...

Fantastical said:
Well, I kinda feel bad about calling him a dick. I don't think he's a dick but he needs to be more aware of what he is saying. I enjoy that he is honest, but honesty doesn't mean you have to be a dick which he kind of was.

I think he probably was just in a bad mood or something. Pissed off at what the game was and it didn't come out as he envisioned it.
He means well, I think. Just word your answers better please Mr. Bernard. [Is he reading this right now? :D ]
I really do hope he is listening to you, because so many developers(if not, all) have issues like this, and handle it so much better. Its one thing to say that you wish you could have done or added more, but its a totally different thing to say that "i dont like it anymore". Thats just downright stupid, even if he didnt like it. He complains about eating noodles, then tells you he hates the game that he wants you to buy so he can eat steak and shrimp...what a dumbass...

Ill still check his game out though, because i agree with one thing he said.
"So let's put it this way, I don't care about what people think about me. What's important is what people think about the game." I agree with this, but his attitude still has the power to sway others away.

Top Bottom