• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bundles of Awesome - The Official WiiWare Discussion Thread

beef3483

dkeane said:
Any impressions for Family Table Tennis?

Looks really simple but it could be a cool gave to play with friends once in a while. And I like the art-style although the characters look a little lame.

Simple, yet fun. It doesn't have too much depth, but is only five bucks. I enjoyed it. IGN underrated it by quite a bit IMO.

Jiggy

So basically this thread has six people who liked Family Table Tennis, one who disliked it, and one who claims it's the worst game ever. Looks like about as good a time as any to put that "neutral" tag to use. Praise outweighs criticism numerically, but that criticism is really heavy while the praise is relatively low-key.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
[ ] Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People | Telltale | Point and Click | Summer 08
[ ] LIT | WayForward | Action/Puzzle | "Back to School Release"
[ ] Bomberman WiiWare | Hudson | Action | Fall 2008
[ ] SPOGS Racing | Pronto Games | Racing | TBA 2008
[ ] Pirates: The Key of Dreams | Oxygen Games | Action | TBA 2008
[ ] Joysound | Hudson | Karaoke | TBA 2008 [JPN]
[ ] Alien Crush | Hudson | Pinball | TBA
[ ] Blue Oasis | Hudson | Simulation | TBA
[ ] World of Goo | 2D Boy | Puzzle | TBA 2008
[ ] Tetris | Hudson | Puzzle | TBA 2008
[ ] Wordsnake | Alien8 | Puzzle | TBA
[ ] Last Flight | Blobber Team | Action | TBA 2009
[ ] Target Toss Pro: Bags | n-Space | Sports | TBA 2008
[ ] Shantae | WayForward | Adventure | TBA [UNOFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED]
[ ] Rose Princess | Luc Bernard | Adventure | TBA
[ ] Crescendo | Konami | Music? | TBA
[ ] Rolling Bloobs | Blobber Team | Who The Hell Knows | TBA
[ ] Project Bang! | Engine Software | Puzzle | TBA
[ ] Potpourrii | Abstraction Games | Puzzle | TBA
[ ] Plättchen Twist 'n' Paint | Bplus | Puzzle | TBA
[ ] My Pokemon Ranch | Nintendo | Pokemans | TBA 2008
[ ] Midnight Pool | GameLoft | Sports | TBA
[ ] Butterfly Garden | Autonomous | Other | TBA
[ ] Midnight Bowling | GameLoft | Sports | TBA
[ ] Animales de la Muerte | High Voltage | Action | TBA 2008
[ ] Block Buster Deluxe | GameLoft | Arcade | TBA
[ ] Bruiser and Scratch in the Case of the Puzzling Paw | Steel Penny Games | Adventure | TBA 2008
[ ] Cocoto Fishing Master | Neko Entertainment | Fishing | TBA
[ ] Gyrostarr | High Voltage | Shooter | TBA 2008
[ ] Gravitronix | Medaverse Studios | Action | TBA
[ ] Eternity’s Child | Luc Bernard | Platformer | TBA
[ ] Home Sweet Home | Big Blue Bubble | Simulation | TBA
[ ] LostWinds 2 | Frontier | Platformer | TBA
[ ] Major League Eating: The Game | Mastiff | Action? | TBA 2008
[ ] Frat Party Games - Beer Pong | JV Games | Party | TBA 2008
[ ] MadStone | Riverman Media | Puzzle | TBA
[ ] Helix | Ghostfire | Dancing | TBA
[ ] Fresco Beach | Konami | Unknown | TBA

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
blu said:
so how reliable is this?
it's from the VC store. As to how reliable (or what metric) that is, who knows? But those are the same lists you can get from the Wii Shop channel.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
borghe said:
it's from the VC store. As to how reliable (or what metric) that is, who knows? But those are the same lists you can get from the Wii Shop channel.
ah, ok.

Luigison

blu said:
so how reliable is this?
Thanks for reminding me... I was sad when SMB2:LL dropped off the list. Gifted it to several people, but of course that didn't bring it back. I wish they showed more than the top 20 and would open up the results from the Nintendo Channel.

Luigison said:
Thanks for reminding me... I was sad when SMB2:LL dropped off the list. Gifted it to several people, but of course that didn't bring it back. I wish they showed more than the top 20 and would open up the results from the Nintendo Channel.

Why in the Wide, Wide World of Sports would Nintendo release its marketing data (read: trade secrets) to the public and its competitors?

antispin

Just thought I'd share an email exchange with the guys who made Pop -- mine was a congratulation on a good game and an inquiry as to the reception/sales, their reply follows

Thanks for the feedback and we are really pleased you enjoy the game! We have been really pleased with the response to Pop both in sales and user feedback and hopefully this should allow us to commence work on our next game in the near future.

Yours

Nic Watt
Creative Director

Juice

FF:CC rant:

Ugh. Why does FF:CC:MLaaK have to be the same as the original FF:CC in that it's a complete breeze right up until the final part, and then it just expects you to level your guys for days on end until they're able to take on the Dark Lord? Bullshit. Now I don't even want to keep clicking on the spreadsheet

Juice said:
FF:CC rant:

Ugh. Why does FF:CC:MLaaK have to be the same as the original FF:CC in that it's a complete breeze right up until the final part, and then it just expects you to level your guys for days on end until they're able to take on the Dark Lord? Bullshit. Now I don't even want to keep clicking on the spreadsheet

That's a hallmark of games that run out of time in development, leaving latter stages on the drawing boards and not even having time to properly tune the difficulty balance.

That, or the developers are just jerks.

Luigison

Cheesemeister said:
Why in the Wide, Wide World of Sports would Nintendo release its marketing data (read: trade secrets) to the public and its competitors?
I didn't mean all of the marketing date from the Nintendo Channel, just the search function they already promised us. Now, I'd love to see the whole shebang, but I know better than to expect that.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm wondering what development costs for soemthing like Toki Tori or LostWinds is and how many sales are 'good sales' on WiiWare.
We need some numbers.

lopaz

Banned
HAY GUYS! I just looked at WiiWare for the first time in UK and bought LostWinds. It's very pretty but a little dull so far, hopefully it picks up. Are there going to be more games soon? There's like 5 and most of them are ass.

jibblypop

Banned
Well I'm having buyer's remorse now. I absolutely loved Lost Winds so everything was smooth with that purchase. But as my second purchase I grabbed Dr Mario. I don't know. This one doesn't seem like it was worth the 10 bucks. I have just as much fun playing the old version to be honest. Oh well.
I really should have grabbed the Final Fantasy game I think.

Wizpig

jibblypop said:
Well I'm having buyer's remorse now. I absolutely loved Lost Winds so everything was smooth with that purchase. But as my second purchase I grabbed Dr Mario. I don't know. This one doesn't seem like it was worth the 10 bucks. I have just as much fun playing the old version to be honest. Oh well.
Well, think it this way: FF is 15 bucks + DLC.
Dr. Mario is absolutely worth 10 bucks imho... if you play it online.

Cjkorea

jibblypop said:

Dr. Mario is very addictive and because of the replay value, It was well worth the ten bucks... Especially since it keeps my wife happy. She finally has a game where she can beat me on a regular basis.......... (for now)

After playing virus buster it seems like the classic game is zoomed out too far. It is a big difference. Or maybe virus buster is zoomed in too much i dunno... i kinda like it closer myself.

Jazzem

If Actionloop was online I would have bought it, but I'm happy with the excellent DS version as it is so I'll pass.

DavidDayton said:
I'm surprised no one has made any discoveries with the Shop Channel image scraper yet.

Images typically don't get posted early. What would you like to have scanned? I've already checked WiiWare in NA, and only saw this last Monday's titles.

Jiggy

ivysaur12 said:
Hey, random question: Once developers put the game in queue, does Nintendo tell them when they plan to release it?
WiiWare World says no, going by people they've spoken to. Luc Bernard says no. However, Hudson knew the month of its VC releases in advance, and we knew Toki Tori was coming a couple of days ahead of time (though that's not saying much). Taking all of that at face value, it would seem that there's an inconsistency in how Nintendo deals with this.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I plan on buying World of Goo (THIS NEEDS TO COME OUT) and Strong Bad's game next. How much do you think World of Goo will be? It looked like a pretty large game from what I saw.

batbeg

Fantastical said:
I plan on buying World of Goo (THIS NEEDS TO COME OUT) and Strong Bad's game next. How much do you think World of Goo will be? It looked like a pretty large game from what I saw.

PC version is $20. Maybe the same, or maybe they'll lower it to 15 as a showing of pity for lack of user content sharing.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
batbeg said:
PC version is $20. Maybe the same, or maybe they'll lower it to 15 as a showing of pity for lack of user content sharing.
That's what I thought. They better not put it at 2000 points (can they even?). 1500 is probably about right because it look like a large game if it is near the PC version. Also, I remember the Wii version has some kind of co-op as well, if I'm not mistaken.

agrajag

Banned
birdchili said:
my life as a king has a million problems, but still manages to be compelling due to the way they set up: short day, save, get reports and play new day. repeat. i'm currently at about day 50.

the lack of documentation and in-game information means you're spending a lot of time trying to figure out how what you're doing is effecting things. sometimes you can successfully "figure something out" and get the requisite success, sometimes it seems either random, or just grinding that's getting you by.

there's also an illusion that there are more options than there really are: a million points to visit on the map, but you rarely can legitimately go more than a couple of places, a huge city to build, but most buildings are only required (and allowed) once, so you're often in situations where all you can really build is more houses.

i love going through the reports at the end of the day and trying to figure out what worked and what didn't, but i'm often wondering if everything is a lot more simple behind-the-scenes than i wish it were.

i'll definitely get fifteen bucks worth of entertainment out of it. i've already played for hours.

also: for the waggle=button crowd: "ringing" shaking the bell remote to summon chime is more fun than pressing a button:)

Sounds like a gimped Caesar game.

Cheez-It

Fantastical said:
That's what I thought. They better not put it at 2000 points (can they even?). 1500 is probably about right because it look like a large game if it is near the PC version. Also, I remember the Wii version has some kind of co-op as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Why not? If it is functionally the same as the PC version, wtf is wrong with the same price?

Top Bottom