• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Responds to Recent Feedback on Destiny 2

TyrantII

The lack of enemies is just shocking for a game with this budget. In some ways I feel like they are taking advantage of us. Of course, I put in my time and enjoyed it.

There's 5 enemy factions with about 10 enemy types each. Further they're subclassed into different armor and weapons and AI. Bosses usually have unique abilities, weapons, and AI.

Just because their arc type is easily discernible, doesn't mean they're not different. It's infact the point of the design, that you quickly know what tactics to expect and how to approach an encounter.

Destinys problem isn't not enough unique things to shoot. Nor is it a content issue in D2 (largely fixed since D1).

ZeoVGM

Banned
I still don't understand Bungie's stubbornness about PvP. Who are these diehard Crucible jabronis on staff that don't understand that trying to maintain balance between PvE and PvP is just an ongoing thorn in the side of game itself?

Destiny's Crucible is simply not that fun to play period. Molasses-slow TTK and clunky movement compared to its peers. And I hear that D2 has made it even slower with a focus on group fire? Give me a fucking break. There's no reason for this to still be going on other than Bungie being to stubborn to acknowledge they failed on PvP. Again.

Your opinion isn't "period." I'm enjoying Destiny 2's PvP. I loved it in Destiny 1. I've seen people say it's trash now and I've seen people say it's better.

This is how it will likely always be. A group of people will always hate or love it.

jviggy43

I'll never get over the fact that Bungie has never made a Destiny boss, in D1 or D2, outside a raid that isn't just a large version of a regular enemy. 2 games and 4 DLCs over a 4 year period and not a single one. That's genuinely fucking amazing.

Seriously one of, if not, my biggest hope for the sequel was to finally get rid of this and make these encounters interesting. Instead, theyre worse now given the new weapon system and lack of supers/abilities. Its confounding how they still have yet to evolve these encounters after 4 years. Especially because its almost universally agreed upon that these fights should be more varied.

Bold One

Your opinion isn't "period." I'm enjoying Destiny 2's PvP. I loved it in Destiny 1. I've seen people say it's trash now and I've seen people say it's better.

This is how it will likely always be. A group of people will always hate or love it.
Always been that way. An angry minority will ALWAYS be the loudest. I should know, done a bit of shouting during outages.

Gator86

Seriously one of, if not, my biggest hope for the sequel was to finally get rid of this and make these encounters interesting. Instead, theyre worse now given the new weapon system and lack of supers/abilities. Its confounding how they still have yet to evolve these encounters after 4 years. Especially because its almost universally agreed upon that these fights should be more varied.

I think the strikes in D2 are really good overall. I was surprised at how much I like them.

Unfortunately, yeah, the bosses are always the same dude. Sometimes it's a bullet sponge version of a regular enemy in a room with lava floors. Other times, it's a bullet sponge version of a regular enemy but the floor drops away. Sometimes it's a bullet sponge version of a regular enemy, but he can encase himself in a box and make you stand on plates while fighting adds. In one, you get to fight a bullet sponge version of a regular enemy, but he's invisible sometimes.

It's good they're adding flourishes around the boss to make the encounters more interesting and varied, but the bosses themselves have been comically lackluster for almost half a decade now.

Rise of Iron was probably the master stroke though. Sepiks Perfected was not only a bullet sponge version of a regular servitor, but also just a rehash of the first strike boss in D1 only with a sicker guitar riff. Amazing shit.

My biggest complaint is with the "smart" loot. Getting 10 Iron Banner engrams with two armor pieces and the same weapon 4 times is really annoying.

Always been that way. An angry minority will ALWAYS be the loudest. I should know, done a bit of shouting during outages.
For all the people who hate on PvP, destiny tracker’s daily engagement graphs show that engagement with the pvp and PvE side of the game is about equal. For every PvE diehard there may be a pvp diehard who rarely does anything but crucible.

Bungie wouldn’t be wrong to focus on balancing both.
where are the private matches and more playlists though?

I'll never get over the fact that Bungie has never made a Destiny boss, in D1 or D2, outside a raid that isn't just a large version of a regular enemy. 2 games and 4 DLCs over a 4 year period and not a single one. That's genuinely fucking amazing.
Technically Omnigul wasn’t a large version of a regular enemy.

she was just a regular enemy with a bigger health bar lol

Froxenblade

Neo Member
Wow, if they're thinking about mass deleting shaders that means we lost the battle on that one. The exact opposite approach to fixing shaders that I'd want. Why make a system that requires busy work from the players at all? Consumable shaders make what should be a small, fun part of the game a huge pain in the ass.

Get ready for Destiny 3 where emblems are single use.

For all the people who hate on PvP, destiny tracker's daily engagement graphs show that engagement with the pvp and PvE side of the game is about equal. For every PvE diehard there may be a pvp diehard who rarely does anything but crucible.

Bungie wouldn't be wrong to focus on balancing both.
where are the private matches and more playlists though?

That could be potentially misleading though, as Bungie incentivizes play on both sides, so there could be people playing Pvp solely for the reward that wouldn't play otherwise.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Rise of Iron was probably the master stroke though. Sepiks Perfected was not only a bullet sponge version of a regular servitor, but also just a rehash of the first strike boss in D1 only with a sicker guitar riff. Amazing shit.

Also, it could shield itself. Give credit where credit's due, that was different!

kiaaa

That could be potentially misleading though, as Bungie incentivizes play on both sides, so there could be people playing Pvp solely for the reward that wouldn't play otherwise.

The amount of people who either afk or put in minimum effort should be evidence of that.

Alo0oy

Banned
I could live without random rolls but if they bring it back I'd prefer they streamline the amount of possible options available so the god roll grind isn't so tedious.

Exotic engram drops DO need to be lessened. The drop rate now is MUCH higher than it ever was under the Three of Coins system back in D1 and that is a contributing factor to making exotic gear feel less interesting (the other factor is the watering down of exotic perks, Peacekeepers as an example: I can... passively reload SMGs while wearing this! WOOO, I guess?).

Clan rewards NEED to go. It was a dumbass idea to begin with and anyone who played WoW back when Blizzard put in guild rewards saw this coming a mile away. Back when Blizzard put it in WoW, it led to mega guilds, people wouldn't consider joining guilds unless they were max level or had specific rewards, or only wanted guilds with specific guild wide achievements unlocked for specific reward items. That's already happening with D2 and a quick glance at the official D2 Clan Recruitment illustrates this perfectly: People looking for clans but only wanting higher leveled clans with 3/4 or 4/4 weekly engram completions and clan recruitment posts highlighting their level and weekly rewards rather than their goals or activity types.

It's a silly idea to give people rewards for an activity they might not even play that week and inevitably turns into a small group of clanmates carrying everyone else for free loot. Erstwhile, the tiered clan perks puts smaller, newer clans at a significant disadvantage to recruiting new players who now expect to be rewarded for clan participation. Blizzard realized this system was bad and opted to gut it entirely a couple years after initially putting it in. Bungie will eventually come to the same conclusion.

Edit: I'll join in on the raid power rankings for the hell of it:
1. KF (E2: Seems I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed all of the encounters in KF except for the hive ship jumping puzzle.)
2. WOTM
3. VOG
4. Crota
5. Leviathan

Strongly disagree with the exotic engram rate comment. As you allude to in the second part of that, the problem is Bungie made shit exotics, not that you can get them without grinding for years. No amount of drop rate tweaks will make the Tricksleeves not absolute dogshit.

You're 100% right on the clan thing. It's another example of Bungie designing something in bizarro-world and having next to no idea how actual human beings function. All of its problems are immediately apparent. The severe penalities for small clans are just the cherry on top.

Sorry, I just can't agree on the clan rewards thing, I don't play Trials, I doubt I ever will unless they introduce matchmaking, what's wrong with getting one piece of gear per week? It's not like they're giving away the whole set, it's a consolation prize for the people that can't participate, and I think it's fair.

I can slog through the app to set up a fireteam for the Raid or NF, but I'm not going to do that with Trials.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I've even had exotics drop from Banshee-44 & Failsafe (same as what ive already had..) haven't had anyone else mention it?

Melchiah

Agreed. The problem is that PvE is more robust to disaster than PvP. The shooting, aiming, hit reactions, and such for PvE feel great all the time so there's a high floor for how bad the PvE can be. The same isn't true of PvP so it's more precarious. Getting one-shotted over and over feels terrible. Having a bad meta feels terrible.

This imbalance leads them to, basically, subsidize PvP through design choices damaging to PvE. They design entirely for PvP assuming the strength of the basic mechanics will keep PvE chugging along.

It's bad game design.

That's the most disappointing thing about it for a PVE-only player. It was already irritating in D1, with its PVP-fueled nerfs and the lack of PVE events. Why should I support a game with my money, that treats me like a second class customer?

Maddocks

Clan rewards need to stay, because that is the whole reason to stay with a clan. It is a good system and if that system is taken away, then the point of a clan is now gone and people will just bail on the clan.

Exotic engrams feel like they are in a good place drop wise, I don't like grinding for 4 hours to get 1 exotic, but getting 2-3 exotics in that time feels good, I feel like my time isn't wasted. They drop that to almost zero or 2 times a week, then I'm out for sure.

Foxxsoxx

PVP is pulse grenade city my dude

"Ah right, lets nerf literally every grenade in the game and massively buff only pulse grenades to where they both have the fastest TTK, activate immediately, are an area of denial grenade, and violently shake anyones screen to simulate having an epileptic seizure. This is a great, balanced idea." - Bungie, probably

Guys, you're missing the part where he hasn't even played it for himself. Dont get upset by the trolls

Clan rewards need to stay, because that is the whole reason to stay with a clan. It is a good system and if that system is taken away, then the point of a clan is now gone and people will just bail on the clan.

Exotic engrams feel like they are in a good place drop wise, I don't like grinding for 4 hours to get 1 exotic, but getting 2-3 exotics in that time feels good, I feel like my time isn't wasted. They drop that to almost zero or 2 times a week, then I'm out for sure.

I don't know, I think clan rewards are good, but I think getting a reward for simply being in a clan is kind of bad.

I don't really want to dive into the whole "Warframe is better than Destiny" discussion but the clan stuff they do there is much more compelling. I'm not saying Bungie should do a 1:1 copy of what Warframe does, but the Dojo building and exclusive weapon research encourages people to work together towards a goal. Players can put in resources to research a weapon blueprint in order to allow everyone in the clan access to that blueprint in order to craft it. So it ends up (at least in the clan I'm in) with myself and my friends saying "lets go get materials for (x)" and we go together and do it, essentially cutting down the time to get the materials for that in half because there are 2 people gathering the materials rather than 1. It encourages people in a clan to play together and I think that's great. There are abuse cases or cases where one person can do the large majority of the work, but overall I think it's a better system for actually encouraging clan participation.

I really don't care for the way Destiny 2 has setup their clan stuff. So I get a reward for simply being in the same clan as a friend that cleared the raid. Okay, neat. At that point, I'm being rewarded for simply existing in a clan with somebody else . I think there are better ways that already exist in current games that reward participation much better than Destiny 2 does.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
"Ah right, lets nerf literally every grenade in the game and massively buff only pulse grenades to where they both have the fastest TTK, activate immediately, are an area of denial grenade, and violently shake anyones screen to simulate having an epileptic seizure. This is a great, balanced idea." - Bungie, probably

"You know what else would be great? If their overall damage scales to match even some of the best energy weapons. But we'll give this ramp up only to Titans. Along with turning Warlocks into flying fire hammer brothers! Oh yea... and hunters. I know! We'll give them a Titan slam on their Arc special - you know - to make up for the fact that they are glacial pace fuckin slow now. Also Fuck Hunters." - Luke Smith most likely perhaps.

Gator86

Sorry, I just can't agree on the clan rewards thing, I don't play Trials, I doubt I ever will unless they introduce matchmaking, what's wrong with getting one piece of gear per week? It's not like they're giving away the whole set, it's a consolation prize for the people that can't participate, and I think it's fair.

I can slog through the app to set up a fireteam for the Raid or NF, but I'm not going to do that with Trials.

I'm not criticizing that at all actually. My issue was with the design of it where there's pressure to join only large clans for rewards and that small clans are largely locked out of the smaller perks. None of the clan stuff really does anything to encourage joining clans based on shared activity interest, just joining the biggest one to get engrams.

If Bungie wants to design everything around the idea that people playing their game are desperate to make friends with internet randos, they should design structures that actually encourage that. The current clan implementation doesn't really do that, but it does punish people in small, real-life friend clans.

ElfArmy177

There's 5 enemy factions with about 10 enemy types each. Further they're subclassed into different armor and weapons and AI. Bosses usually have unique abilities, weapons, and AI.

Just because their arc type is easily discernible, doesn't mean they're not different. It's infact the point of the design, that you quickly know what tactics to expect and how to approach an encounter.

Destinys problem isn't not enough unique things to shoot. Nor is it a content issue in D2 (largely fixed since D1).

Doing a quick Google search shows 5 factions, and only 6-7 enemy types each.

Difference between 30 types and 50. But let's be honest, those "30" all look the damn same anyways...

Euler007

At this point in D1 I was playing an hour a week to get the last piece of armor that wouldn't drop to get me lvl 30. Sometimes I logged on to do bounties to lvl up equipment, which felt more and more like a job over the years. Very satisfied with D2, solid base to build on.

GhaleonEB

Doing a quick Google search shows 5 factions, and only 6-7 enemy types each.

Difference between 30 types and 50. But let's be honest, those "30" all look the damn same anyways...

....what? No they don't. A Fallen Vandal does not look the same as a Cabal Phalanx.

There are eight base Cabal enemies:

War Beast
Psion
Legionairy
Phalanx
Incendior
Gladiator
Colossus
Centurion

Nydius

What's wrong with it is exactly what I wrote. It leads to people piggy backing on the efforts of others for free gear. It turns clans into reward structures rather than social structures. People now see clans as a way to be rewarded for simply being in a clan rather than as a group of people working together to accomplish tasks. Again, watched this entire clusterfuck play out in Warcraft - people joining guilds solely to get guild rewards OTHER people had earned, not because they wanted to participate in guild activities.

If you don't want to (or can't; you contradict yourself) do Trials, you shouldn't get Trials gear simply because some other people in the clan got a 7-win ticket. You didn't contribute to it. THAT is what's wrong with it. There are plenty of other avenues for your to gain loot through your own play time without being handed weekly "consolation prizes" of loot for activities you don't play.

TyrantII

....what? No they don't. A Fallen Vandal does not look the same as a Cabal Phalanx.

War Beast
Psion
Legionairy
Phalanx
Incendior
Gladiator
Colossus
Centurion

Also, to a keen eye each named enemy in the game also has its own armor set / texture set / and sometimes different AI / weapons. Otherwise that's reserved for factions such as the Vex in the VOG compared to those in the world.

Really rubs me the wrong way when people try to say all the work gone into these races are just the tropic reskins from Grandma's boy.

Personally, I like that they're world building rather than doing the game-y thing and coming up with totally nonsensical polygons to shoot with increasingly smaller ties to the world.

Arthimura

I don't know, i think people are acting super entitled with Destiny 2. I feel like the content is a fair deal for $60. I already feel i made my money's worth.

The campaign is good, there's good PvE content, weekly raid, there's PvE. It's tooking me a lot of hours to finish everything.

My only complain is about the Iron Banner event, which is pretty bad, it's just Crucible with bonus tokens, except it's control mode all the time.

rezn0r

At this point in D1 I was playing an hour a week to get the last piece of armor that wouldn't drop to get me lvl 30. Sometimes I logged on to do bounties to lvl up equipment, which felt more and more like a job over the years. Very satisfied with D2, solid base to build on.

This is pretty close to how I've been feeling... I'd rather compare Oct '14 to Oct '17, than Aug '17 to Oct '17...

ByWatterson

Same. 80 hours in, 303 warlock, haven't started other characters. I like the feeling of player progression, without grinding.

Juan

War Beast
Psion
Legionairy
Phalanx
Incendior
Gladiator
Colossus
Centurion

From what you quoted, I only really see 3 different opponents:

War Beast
Psion
Big units cabals

Saying there are 8 Cabals ennemis feel really wrong to me, since the last 6 you quoted behave in a very similar way and don't offer much variety from a gameplay perspective. The only thing that change is the weapon they are using and their health bar.

I mean, it's like saying Halo had like 30 different enemies because you had:

Grunt with plasma pistol
Orange Grunt
Red Grunt with Needler
Black Grunt with Full Rod Canon
Jackal with Orange shield
Jackal with Green Shield
Jackal with Red Shield
Elite with blue armor using plasma pistol
Elite with red armor with plasma rifle
Elite with black armor using Full Rod Canon
Elite with gold armor using sword
Hunters
Flood human base form
Flood human form with AR
Flood human form with shotgun
Flood human form with Sniper
Flood human form with pistol
Flood human form with Rocket
Floor human form with plasma pistol
Flood Carrier
Flood Elite form with....

And so on.

And this can be said for every factions in Destiny. They have like 3 variations of their class and behaviors, and some classes for specific species. But they still behave somehow the same way and don't really impact the encounter.

Destiny has variety for sure, but not so much actually if you look at how AI behave and their effect on the battlefield.

jviggy43

Enemy behavior variety is absolutely lacking. The new addition to the cabal are essentially just thralls (warbeasts) and knights with swords (gladiators). They behave the exact same way. And thats true of most of the classes.

I think the strikes in D2 are really good overall. I was surprised at how much I like them.

Unfortunately, yeah, the bosses are always the same dude. Sometimes it's a bullet sponge version of a regular enemy in a room with lava floors. Other times, it's a bullet sponge version of a regular enemy but the floor drops away. Sometimes it's a bullet sponge version of a regular enemy, but he can encase himself in a box and make you stand on plates while fighting adds. In one, you get to fight a bullet sponge version of a regular enemy, but he's invisible sometimes.

It's good they're adding flourishes around the boss to make the encounters more interesting and varied, but the bosses themselves have been comically lackluster for almost half a decade now.

I mean, it's an RPG shooter. What else would a boss be but an enemy with more HP and attack?

It's like saying an RPG boss is just another enemy with more health that hits harder. Its sorta what they're like

I'm down for more mechanics of course, I feel you on that end. But sometimes a boss will be a thing with a lot of health, it's a part of that genre.

I mean, it's an RPG shooter. What else would a boss be but an enemy with more HP and attack?

It's like saying an RPG boss is just another enemy with more health that hits harder. Its sorta what they're like

I'm down for more mechanics of course, I feel you on that end. But sometimes a boss will be a thing with a lot of health, it's a part of that genre.

The Butcher in Diablo 3 is not just a better version of a lesser enemy.

Belial in Diablo is not just some buffed up lesser enemy.

That's the point being made.

jviggy43

Are you serious? These are some serious disingenuous comparisons if youre trying to pretend rpg bosses are all just another enemy with more health. And no its not part of a genre. Most bosses have more health than normal enemies yes, but theyre not just giant versions of regular enemies who walk around brain dead shooting at you and soaking up 15minutes of ammo. I can;t believe were trying to pretend thats all a boss is, in any genre.

CookTrain

From what you quoted, I only really see 3 different opponents:

War Beast
Psion
Big units cabals

Saying there are 8 Cabals ennemis feel really wrong to me, since the last 6 you quoted behave in a very similar way and don't offer much variety from a gameplay perspective. The only thing that change is the weapon they are using and their health bar.

That's crazy reductionist. That's discounting mobility, massive discrepancies in firepower, their tactics, etc. Some are going to rush you, some are going to bombard you, some will set fire to the ground you're walking on. They are the same species and they're built on a vague Roman structure, so it's really not a mindblower that they have some visual similarities.

I do chuckle to myself every time a boss appears though, being a giant version of a regular enemy.

Brannon

And it's been said, but the fallen Walker mini boss...

Fallen Walker.

When have you ever seen it walk?

Not just turn around slowly, but actually walk? Every boss in the game has severe mobility issues, to the point that one would think that Bungie is too scared to let the player have to try to keep up. I want to say more but it's a pain putting in text on mobile.

Olengie

When I read that first post, all I can think about was "we planning on adding stuff to the end game. If you buy the Season Pass. Or the Second Season Pass. xP"

Are you serious? These are some serious disingenuous comparisons if youre trying to pretend rpg bosses are all just another enemy with more health. And no its not part of a genre. Most bosses have more health than normal enemies yes, but theyre not just giant versions of regular enemies who walk around brain dead shooting at you and soaking up 15minutes of ammo. I can;t believe were trying to pretend thats all a boss is, in any genre.

I'm not saying all bosses should be like that, but there are plenty of legitimate bosses who are essentially large chunks of HP with stronger attacks.

The assertion this is somehow an intrinsicslly negative thing is missing the mark. In a game where it's numbers vs numbers like an RPG sometimes you just need an enemy with bigger numbers to fight against.

The idea that they're "bullet sponges" misses that the game is in part an RPG where your damage output is a part of the game. You need enemies and bosses with larger health in such a game.

Moreover I think this may forget some of the mechanics in the individual bosses. Several strikes have bosses that require additional mechanics besides simply shooting it.

Edit: I'd at least agree if this was overused, but I'm struggling to think of a Strike Boss (in D2) that doesn't have some manner of mechanic you need to deal with.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I never really bothered with this thread,
But why in the living FUCK am i forced to play crucible once a week for 10 matches.
I hate pvp i dont want to try it i hate it and if i want to play it,i would go cod or halo 5.
again this shit forces me to hold my controller on left listen to a podcast and not give a fuck .

judge me.

PVE is NOT PVP so stop trying

also people like me ruin the fun for people that actually love pvp

-edit- oh look while typing this thread i went from 20% crucible to 48%

If it wasn't for the Dinklage voice line "glitch", Sepiks Perfected would've been my favorite thing about Rise of Iron.

One thing we have noticed is a lot of discussions about the Endgame and how it can be improved. Right now, these discussions are also happening in our studio. We are listening, but need time to digest everything and draw up the best plans for the future. We will have more to say on this soon. Please stay tuned, and keep the conversation rolling.

if only they had 3 years of experience maintaining a game of this magnitude and knew what people expected of an endgame.....if only....

How in the world would it get past the testers or simply anyone working on the game that you needed a delete shaders in bulk option.... smh... I figured out this was needed after a couple hours of playing the game....

Top Bottom