• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Wallach said:
I think it depends on how you look at it.

They're representatives for the community, not the company; a more focused role than the average consumer but in the end they are there to serve the community and not Microsoft. It was a two-way street, with the intention of being beneficial for both parties.

I imagine the feeling is that this is an action that is beneficial to only one party, and detrimental to both the community and the developer. If there is information to the contrary, and these representatives don't have it, then that isn't their fault.

I agree with their decision on this one. There's not any "nerdrage" on my behalf; like I mentioned, I don't get a lot of use out of any of my consoles, mostly PC and handhelds. I honestly was not even paying much attention to this announcement, and have not been a huge fan of thier past games. What I am very much a fan of however is Bungie's attitude toward the community they are involved with. It's very disappointing to see them have to work with people that don't see eye to eye with them on that, and have something like this happen.
Quoted for the new page. Very well said, Wallach.

dancmc

Quite frankly, this situation is likely the result of miscommunication or under communication combined with some clashing egos which is a dangerous combination when talking about business relationships.

What probably should have happened, is that if MS decided to not proceed with the announcement (which as the publisher and financier of the project is their right), that should have been communicated to Bungie with hopefully a reasonable rationale, and together they should have come up with a new agreed upon reveal date (Leipzig, x08, TGS, etc). Then Bungie should have reset the countdown clock on the website instead of putting up the message about the cancellation. Bungie could have spun the previous hints as simply part of a larger tease.

IIRC, bungie made references to both E3 and PAX as potential reveal dates, so maybe both were options for the reveal and MS decided that E3 was not the place but Bungie felt otherwise.

We all scream bloody murder that MS pulled the announcement and dissed Bungie like that, but on the spectrum of unprofessionalism, it is really Bungie that acted more unprofessionally by outing the inner corporate workings of the relationship. By doing so, I really think this reveals some significant insight into the relationship between the senior management of the 2 companies.

JdFoX187

Banned
dancmc said:
Quite frankly, this situation is likely the result of miscommunication/under communication, combined with some clashing egos, and that is a dangerous combination when talking about business relationships.

What probably should have happened, is that if MS decided to not proceed with the announcement (which as the publisher and financier of the project is their right), that should have been communicated to Bungie with hopefully a reasonable rationale, and together they should have come up with a new agreed upon reveal date (Leipzig, x08, TGS, etc). Then Bungie should have reset the countdown clock on the website instead of putting up the message about the cancellation. Bungie could have spun the previous hints as simply leading up to a tease.

IIRC, bungie made references to both E3 and PAX as potential reveal dates, so maybe there were options and MS decided that E3 was not the place and Bungie felt otherwise.

We all scream bloody murder that MS pulled the announcement and dissed Bungie like that, but on the spectrum of unprofessionalism, it is really Bungie that acted more unprofessionally by outing the inner corporate workings of the relationship. By doing so, I really think this reveals some significant insight into the relationship between the senior management of the 2 companies.
Well said man. Very well said.

joey_z

Banned
I don't understand why people are becoming so sensationalist. Ghaleon, there really was no reason to do what you did.

Microsoft cares about the image of the Halo series. It has to. It's a company. It likes profit. If it didn't care about Halo, the announcement would have been made.

The reason I say this is quite simple. MS clearly thought that their other games would be drowned out from a Halo announcement. It's true. No one would give a shit about the Gears of War 2 videos. Everyone would be spending hours trying to dissect the supposed Halo 4 trailer.

Then the other obvious reason. If Halo 4 is to be announced...why not have it take place on a better conference? Why not give it more personalized attention than lumping it with a fucking FF XIII announcement. MS wants the game to be the holy grail of the system.

A premature Halo 4 announcement was never the way to go if the announcement was Halo 4. A frickn countdown? Please.

And for all those that say MS fucked over Bungie. There is some truth to it. A last second cancellation is not very professional. However if the announcement involved some non Halo games then it shows one over looked thing:
MS really believe in Bungie. I mean it has to if a non Halo announcement was pushed to a later more suitable event.

But yes. Companies care about money. That involves proper marketing and if for some reason the execs at MS thought it better to delay the announcement then we can't really blame them. Would you blame an investment banker for his lack of loyalty if he changes companies for a better salary? It's how shit works.

PhatSaqs

Banned
dancmc said:
Quite frankly, this situation is likely the result of miscommunication or under communication combined with some clashing egos which is a dangerous combination when talking about business relationships.

What probably should have happened, is that if MS decided to not proceed with the announcement (which as the publisher and financier of the project is their right), that should have been communicated to Bungie with hopefully a reasonable rationale, and together they should have come up with a new agreed upon reveal date (Leipzig, x08, TGS, etc). Then Bungie should have reset the countdown clock on the website instead of putting up the message about the cancellation. Bungie could have spun the previous hints as simply part of a larger tease.

IIRC, bungie made references to both E3 and PAX as potential reveal dates, so maybe both were options for the reveal and MS decided that E3 was not the place but Bungie felt otherwise.

Great post.

dancmc said:
Eh, there comes a time when it's more important to uphold your own dignity rather than have your principles and community relationships trampled on by the Microsoft machine.

What were they supposed to tell their fans? LOL JUS KIDDING GUISE

JdFoX187

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Eh, there comes a time when it's more important to uphold your own dignity rather than have your principles and community relationships trampled on by the Microsoft machine.
But who did it honestly hurt? Some people here talk about the backlash of delaying the announcement and how it hurt the community. Yet you guys are the ones that are creating all the strife. If it is Halo 4, are any of you not going to buy it because of this? No. You're going to buy it if it turns out to be a great game. Most people will buy it whether it's a great game or not, simply because it's Halo 4. The only dignity lost is in the eye of the forum goers. If everyone here took a deep breath and said "okay, the announcement was delayed, let's just wait until we hear the full story or hear the announcement itself," everything would be okay. But a lot of people are making a situation out of nothing. It's like turning a mole hill into a mountain for no reason.

The Lamonster said:

Maybe just apologize and say the announcement has been moved to a later date without throwing anybody under the bus?

Wallach

JdFoX187 said:
But who did it honestly hurt? Some people here talk about the backlash of delaying the announcement and how it hurt the community. Yet you guys are the ones that are creating all the strife. If it is Halo 4, are any of you not going to buy it because of this? No. You're going to buy it if it turns out to be a great game. Most people will buy it whether it's a great game or not, simply because it's Halo 4. The only dignity lost is in the eye of the forum goers. If everyone here took a deep breath and said "okay, the announcement was delayed, let's just wait until we hear the full story or hear the announcement itself," everything would be okay. But a lot of people are making a situation out of nothing. It's like turning a mole hill into a mountain for no reason.

Do you think the developers of the title were not hurt by this decision? It seems pretty clear to me that the folks at Bungie very much feel slighted by what's happened.

Falagard

JdFoX187 said:

Bungie as a company respects their fans, Microsoft does not. This makes people angry. Is that so shocking?

SPEA

dancmc said:

Damn son. Nice post.

PhatSaqs

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Maybe something a little less fervor inducing such as. "Due to unforeseen circumstances the announcement will have to be postponed. We sincerely apologize blah blah blah but best assured you won't be disappointed. We'll have more on when and where soon."

Edit: what sableholic said.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
sableholic said:
Maybe just apologize and say the announcement has been moved to a later date without throwing anybody under the bus?

Pretty much. We can all blame Bungie, or we can blame Microsoft. As sad as I am in how things turned out, in the end, it's dead and done.

I just wish there was more clarification on when we can hear more.

FrankT

dancmc said:

Got to thinking about that as well today.

joey_z

Banned
Falagard said:
Bungie as a company respects their fans, Microsoft does not. This makes people angry. Is that so shocking?

A company as big as Microsoft can't really bind itself to something like genuine altruistic behaviour in the current games industry and general business climate that it operates in.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
JdFoX187 said:
But who did it honestly hurt? Some people here talk about the backlash of delaying the announcement and how it hurt the community.

Nobody is saying it hurts the title itself. It's simply disrespectful to the community and the studio. If Microsoft made the call to delay the announcement, then they should have stepped up and communicated that with everyone who was waiting and watching for the Bungie announcement that had been hyped for months. Instead, they scratched the studio from the conference schedule, stifled the release of any new information, and then forced the studio to run the damage control.

JdFoX187

Banned
Falagard said:
Bungie respects their fans. You know why? Because of the money. If you're a video game developer and you make a game and no one buys it, would you respect those people who snub their nose at it? Probably not. Now, would you respect all the people that buy your game? Sure. It's how the world works.

Microsoft, unlike Bungie, has more important things to worry about. Bungie's only job is to develop the game and get it ready to go. That's what video game development studios do. It's up to Microsoft to distribute and publicize the game. And since Microsoft has other games other than Bungie's titles, it has to decide whether to showcase the game or whether to keep it hidden until further notice. I don't think anyone is arguing how stupid it was to pull the plug at the last second, but it was still within their right.

Wallach said:
Do you think the developers of the title were not hurt by this decision? It seems pretty clear to me that the folks at Bungie very much feel slighted by what's happened.
Oh I'm sure they're upset. But hurt feelings are nothing. And by the time the game is released, I really don't think there'll be people protesting it saying "you remember back a couple years ago when Microsoft pushed back the reveal?" Everything being said is in the heat of the moment, nothing more.

urk said:
Nobody is saying it hurts the title itself. It's simply disrespectful to the community and the studio. If Microsoft made the call to delay the announcement, then they should have stepped up and communicated that with everyone who was waiting and watching for the Bungie announcement that had been hyped for months. Instead, they scratched the studio from the conference schedule, stifled the release of any new information, and then forced the studio to run the damage control.
I'm willing to withhold judgment and stop the blame game until I find out why it was delayed and what really happened. We don't know that right now. And that's why it's stupid to jump to conclusions.

joey_z said:
The reason I say this is quite simple. MS clearly thought that their other games would be drowned out from a Halo announcement. It's true. No one would give a shit about the Gears of War 2 videos. Everyone would be spending hours trying to dissect the supposed Halo 4 trailer.

This reason makes no sense because these types of reveals are planned well in advance. MS has likely known for a month which games they would show at E3. You think just yesterday they thought "oh Halo4 might overshadow gears!" Nonsense. If they thought that then they would have planned separate showings. They wouldn't have planned showings at E3 if they thought that was a problem.

This was very much a last minute decision.

joey_z

Banned
AndersTheSwede said:
This reason makes no sense because these types of reveals are planned well in advance. MS has likely known for a month which games they would show at E3. You think just yesterday they thought "oh Halo4 might overshadow gears!" Nonsense. If they thought that then they would have planned separate showings. They wouldn't have planned showings at E3 if they thought that was a problem.

Akh! Fuck you're right. Guess fatigue got the better of me while typing that.

Proelite

Falagard said:

Microsoft respects the 10 million fans that plays their console, and not the few thousand forum goers that lives for internet drama everyday. Whatever they did, I believe it was ultimately good for the general Xbox community in which I am a part of.

fin

Blakero said:
I need to bring some common sense into this thread.

You guys... wake the fuck up.

I want to know what Bungie is doing just as much as the rest of you, but calling out MS and trying to convince them to change their minds is not going to do a thing, or make you feel better.

Microsoft is a company. They are paying Bungie to make this game... whatever it is. They have every right to want to announce this when they think the time is right. I don't feel bad for Bungie, their time will come... maybe they should have had better communication with MS (could be a problem on either end).

This is a product in the eyes of MS. They are going to control that product so it makes them the most money. It is clear that MS thought they had enough in their conference, and after seeing Sony and Nintendo, they did have enough.

Now they can save this announcement for a different time in the year and get you all excited about it... all over again. Hell, in the end, you might thank them for it.

I think everyone understands how business works. We are awake.

Say there is this lottery, it's been going on for 3 months. You must get all 7 numbers correct to win. One number is drawn each week for seven weeks. 6 weeks go by and you have all six numbers matching, then 12 hours before the last number is called...

A letter saying that the lottery is cancelled because the the sponsers never wanted to give away the money yet.

Although not as life altering as a lottery
for some :)
, it's still a big kick in the nuts to the community.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
JdFoX187 said:
I'm willing to withhold judgment and stop the blame game until I find out why it was delayed and what really happened. We don't know that right now. And that's why it's stupid to jump to conclusions.

Doesn't change the fact that Microsoft was not out doing any salvaging public relations work. They simply made the call and sent the Bungie crew out to do clean up. All Mattrick was willing to reveal was that he felt the conference was so "loaded" that they didn't need to "get gamers excited." Do you think he was ignorant of the several month build up Bungie was conducting?

EazyB

Banned
Proelite said:
Microsoft respects the 10 million fans that plays their console, and not the few thousand forum goers that lives for internet drama everyday. Whatever they did, I believe it was ultimately good for the general Xbox community in which I am a part of.
Can you give a scenario where MS would see a time that's better for the announcement that Bungie would not?

TDG

Banned
sableholic said:
Yeah, god, poor MS. Bungie should've avoided blaming those poor dears at any cost. Even though, you know, they were the ones who cancelled the announcement.

joey_z

Banned
urk said:
Doesn't change the fact that Microsoft was not out doing any salvaging public relations work. They simply made the call and sent the Bungie crew out to do clean up. All Mattrick was willing to reveal was that he felt the conference was so "loaded" that they didn't need to "get gamers excited." Do you think he was ignorant of the several month build up Bungie was conducting?

I don't understand this. It's not as if the build up has gone to waste. The announcements haven't been scrapped.

Proelite

EazyB said:
Can you give a scenario where MS would see a time that's better for the announcement that Bungie would not?

Maybe it wasn't the smartest choice, but I believe they reasoned they need this for a better time and not because they wanted to spite the developers or the online community.

Nikorasu

JdFoX187 said:
Valve is known as the developer of Half-Life to most people. Team Fortress is a great game, but it doesn't have the appeal that Half-Life does. Portal wasn't even made by the core Valve team originally, the same goes for Counter-Strike. Sure, Valve bought out those teams eventually. But it wasn't Valve that originally developed them.

I don't really like the reasoning that if a company merely bought the property or team and called it their own that it's not really "their game." Staff members come and go all the time, its really no different. The company sees a product with a lot of potential that embodies a similar design philosophy and they 'take it in' so to speak, and polish it up to their own standards.

AndersTheSwede said:

Why do you think they pulled it then?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
joey_z said:
I don't understand this. It's not as if the build up has gone to waste. The announcements haven't been scrapped.

Nothing to understand. Even if you discount the merit of the narrative surrounding the game and its marketing, and disregard the fact that this totally breaks the illusion Bungie was crafting, you should still be able to grasp the fact that the studio was ready to go, as indicated by their message, and that it was Microsoft's call to scrap the announcement. If that's the case, why is Bungie left holding the bag while Microsoft stays mum? Even when pressed, Microsoft won't comment and take responsibility.

soldat7

sableholic said:

Bungie never threw anyone under the bus. They merely expressed 'disappointment' and were 'unhappy' with the way things turned out. And rightfully so.

Oozer3993

dancmc said:

How is Bungie being unprofessional? Microsoft has known, or should have known, about this reveal for at least a month. Yet they wait until a few hours before hand to pull the plug? Something big changed yesterday afternoon. We don't know what that was, and maybe never will, that made MS decide that Bungie shouldn't go ahead with the announcement. The wheels had already been put in motion, though so Bungie had to give some type of reason for canceling the reveal. They'd been teasing it for a months and, being the community sensitive studio they are, thought their fans deserved as a good as reason as they could give us. They didn't out anything. It should be common knowledge for anyone posting in the Gaming section that publishers can control the flow of information about titles they are going to publish.

I don't know why MS canceled it, but I'm not going to assume that it's a stupid reason. We don't know. But since it was done so quick to the deadline, with such large prior knowledge, it can be easy to assume the worst. I won't. I'll give MS the benefit of the doubt, that they were looking out for the game's best interests. And until they inevitably announce it, I will sit patiently and wait.

EazyB

Banned
Proelite said:
Maybe it wasn't the smartest choice, but I believe they reasoned they need this for a better time and not because they wanted to spite the developers or the online community.
So the general xbox community that you speak of would benefit more from a later reveal? I simply don't get it.

Proelite

EazyB said:
So the general xbox community that you speak of would benefit more from a later reveal? I simply don't get it.

Maybe they won't. But I certainly don't believe that MS had acted out of spite or malice. Probably misguided.

The Lamonster said:
Why do you think they pulled it then?

No idea. I've given up trying to fathom the workings of Redmond. But that particular reason doesn't make any sense, and if MS really did cancel it because of that then they are simply incompetent. I hope there is a reason that actually makes sense.

JdFoX187

Banned
urk said:
It's true. The pieces of the puzzle aren't coming together. Which is the very reason why I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Nikorasu said:
I don't really like the reasoning that if a company merely bought the property or team and called it their own that it's not really "their game." Staff members come and go all the time, its really no different. The company sees a product with a lot of potential that embodies a similar design philosophy and they 'take it in' so to speak, and polish it up to their own standards.
Take Portal for example. Valve saw the work the team had did. Wasn't it like some kind of tech demo or flash game? They bought the team and gave them the money they needed to make it into a full-fledged game.

It'd be like me owning a publishing company. I have this friend who is writing a book which could be great, but he's having a hard time paying his bills to write it. I buy the rights to the book and pay off his bills. Does that mean it's my company's work? No, it's the work of the individual (or in this case, group) that originally conceived of the idea and started working.

joey_z

Banned
urk said:
Nothing to understand. Even if you discount the merit of the narrative surrounding the game and its marketing, and disregard the fact that this totally breaks the illusion Bungie was crafting, you should still be able to grasp the fact that the studio was ready to go, as indicated by their message, and that it was Microsoft's call to scrap the announcement. If that's the case, why is Bungie left holding the bag while Microsoft stays mum? Even when pressed, Microsoft won't comment and take responsibility.

That is not entirely true. Don Mattrick did take responsibility for the decision. Bungie wasn't really left holding any bag as such. Mattrick spoke of the reason in interviews. You don't actually expect him to make an official press statement do you? That would kill any illusion Bungie was crafting. And Microsoft won't put the reason up on xbox.com or anything because that sort of doesn't make any sense as a lot of people don't follow this gaming community stuff and might be visiting the site just for general information.

Remember...it has only been a few hours since the cancellation. Mattrick has taken responsibility. I don't understand what you expect in such a short time period.
Whatever Bungie put up on the website was done because they were pissed off and thought the fans deserved to know the reason. But they weren't forced to clean up anything really.

Doodis

sableholic said:

Guess you didn't notice Microsoft's tire tracks were already on Bungie's ass with this one, huh?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
joey_z said:
That is not entirely true. Don Mattrick did take responsibility for the decision. Bungie wasn't really left holding any bag as such. Mattrick spoke of the reason in interviews. You don't actually expect him to make an official press statement do you? That would kill any illusion Bungie was crafting. And Microsoft won't put the reason up on xbox.com or anything because that sort of doesn't make any sense as a lot of people don't follow this gaming community stuff and might be visiting the site just for general information.

Remember...it has only been a few hours since the cancellation. Mattrick has taken responsibility. I don't understand what you expect in such a short time period.
Whatever Bungie put up on the website was done because they were pissed off and thought the fans deserved to know the reason. But they weren't forced to clean up anything really.
What are you talking about? Where did Don Mattrick take responsibility for the decision to cancel the announcement?

dancmc

Oozer3993 said:
How is Bungie being unprofessional? Microsoft has known, or should have known, about this reveal for at least a month. Yet they wait until a few hours before hand to pull the plug? Something big changed yesterday afternoon. We don't know what that was, and maybe never will, that made MS decide that Bungie shouldn't go ahead with the announcement. The wheels had already been put in motion, though so Bungie had to give some type of reason for canceling the reveal. They'd been teasing it for a months and, being the community sensitive studio they are, thought their fans deserved as a good as reason as they could give us. They didn't out anything. It should be common knowledge for anyone posting in the Gaming section that publishers can control the flow of information about titles they are going to publish.

I don't know why MS canceled it, but I'm not going to assume that it's a stupid reason. We don't know. But since it was done so quick to the deadline, with such large prior knowledge, it can be easy to assume the worst. I won't. I'll give MS the benefit of the doubt, that they were looking out for the game's best interests. And until they inevitably announce it, I will sit patiently and wait.

I agree that in the absence of perfect information, we will need to wait and see the timing and venue for the unveiling of this new Bungie project. I have certainly enough to look forward too this fall, that their next project is far enough off that I have plenty of time to get hyped for it. My only point is that if there are good relationships and good communication, that this would have been handled better. I feel that by Bungie posting the note on the website, they publicly aired their frustration. All of this should have been kept behind closed doors. Bungie could have simply stated that the build up was a tease (even their website said "expect delays") and that the true reveal will be at y date.

Oozer3993

To add another crackpot theory on to the heap:

I think MS was expecting Sony to reveal something big during their conference. Rockstar's big PS3 exclusive or something similar (btw, they haven't revealed that yet, have they? It's not LA Noire is it?). Bungie has made it a point to assert themselves as independent so they probably declined having it at the MS conference, instead keeping it for themselves. When Sony didn't reveal the big gun, MS didn't need the big Bungie reveal anymore. They could save it for later, so they scrapped the announcement.

Even more crackpot theory:

MS learned just yesterday that Bungie had met with Sony or Nintendo about producing something for one of their handhelds. This would scoot past the "first refusal" clause since MS doesn't have a handheld and wouldn't publish something for a competitor, and thus would be forced to refuse. MS, hearing about this, retaliated by canceling the announcement.

dancmc said:
I feel that by Bungie posting the note on the website, they publicly aired their frustration. All of this should have been kept behind closed doors.

It could have been, but I think Bungie is just as frustrated as us and wanted some marginal bit of payback. Purposefully saying "our publisher" and then clarifying who they meant was their slight jab at MS. I don't think that's all that harsh a retaliation. They didn't give the specific reason or go into depth about how angry this has made them.

Bungie could have simply stated that the build up was a tease (even their website said "expect delays") and that the true reveal will be at a date.

They'd already teased the "Expect Delays" line in regards to the Superintendent on their forums. Their fans would have known they were being jerked around and just gotten pissed.

the disgruntled gamer said:
Yeah, god, poor MS. Bungie should've avoided blaming those poor dears at any cost. Even though, you know, they were the ones who cancelled the announcement.

They are the publisher, they have the right to cancel the announcement. Bungie however doesn't have to go ahead and say the publisher decided to cancel the announcement. I don't care who decided to cancel it. All they had to do was apologize, say the reveal has been moved to a later date, and let that be that.

soldat7 said:
Bungie never threw anyone under the bus. They merely expressed 'disappointment' and were 'unhappy' with the way things turned out. And rightfully so.

By stating "However, those plans were just changed by our publisher" they basically did. Was that line necessary in the letter? I don't believe it was. They could have expressed their disappointment and unhappiness with the way things turned out, apologized, and said the reveal would be coming later than originally planned all without bringing up MS at all.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
sableholic said:
They are the publisher, they have the right to cancel the announcement. Bungie however doesn't have to go ahead and say the publisher decided to cancel the announcement. I don't care who decided to cancel it. All they had to do was apologize, say the reveal has been moved to a later date, and let that be that.

By stating "However, those plans were just changed by our publisher" they basically did. Was that line necessary in the letter? I don't believe it was. They could have expressed their disappointment and unhappiness with the way things turned out, apologized, and said the reveal would be coming later than originally planned all without bringing up MS at all.
Basically, they should have fallen on the sword for Microsoft?

TDG

Banned
sableholic said:
Who cares? Why would Bungie hide who's responsible for the cancellation? It doesn't make sense at all.

Top Bottom