• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

CougRon

Quazar said:
So odd no one is posting anymore.
having neogaf down for an hour probably had something to do with that. The angry mob probably went to the bungie.net forums to find somewhere to vent. Speaking of which... where'd I leave my torch and pitchfork?

I_D

BakedPigeon said:
I think this thread has had every single possible combination for a reply. Not much more needs to be said :lol

It hasn't turned into a Photoshop-fest yet. ;)

Anywho, when is Microsoft's next big show (is it TGS?)? Hopefully they'll announce whatever this was then.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/07/halo-bungie-e3.html

Turns out that Bungie's latest Halo project was originally part of the program for Microsoft's press conference on Monday, but it was taken out of the lineup at the last minute. Don Mattrick, senior vice president of Microsoft's Xbox games business, said the company decided to pull Halo ...

... to help trim its E3 presentation to under 90 minutes, from 2 1/2 hours, to accommodate attention-challenged reporters. "We had an embarrassment of riches," Mattrick said. "We felt we could do this game more justice with a more dedicated event."

Quazar

Quazar said:
I'm guessing this has been posted....

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/16/microsoft-confirms-bungie-is-developing-new-halo/

"In an interview shot for MTV News on Tuesday, Microsoft’s head of Xbox business Don Mattrick, confirmed to me that Bungie is indeed working on a new “Halo” game of some sort for Microsoft.

Not only did Mattrick say not to worry and that announcements would be coming, he also said that Microsoft is working with Bungie on a “Halo” game.

I asked for clarification, wondering if Mattrick meant Bungie’s project was “Halo Wars” or the long-announced Peter Jackson “Halo” project. Neither, Mattrick said. The Bungie game is something else.

And then, not surprisingly, the topic was changed."

Quoted for the next page. I left out an important bit.

When is Liepzig(sp?)

edit: Nice, sounds like they will hold a whole event around the game now.

CowboyAstronaut said:
Wrong. There would be many more responses along the lines of "Sony getting some payback for FF13 and are going after Bungie! :lol "

Some "insider" would come out and add fuel to the fire and say "Sony has been in contact with Bungie, that is all I'll say"

Considering MS has first rights on publishing wouldn't that be quite a stretch for people to believe?

urk said:

but MS is the evil and pulled it out of spite and as payback

If Matrick is just going to spill the fucking beans anyways by blurting these short confirming remarks about another Halo being announced, why the fuck cant we just hear the real deal from Bungie. People will know it and buy it whether they make it a big announcement or not.

That was a real shitty thing you did to bungie, MS.

frontieruk

Erm wasn't the announcement supposed to be made Wednesday not Monday, that's Microsoft talking shit again... If they decided to pull it monday Bungie would of been told, corporate communications aren't that bad...

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
urk said:

Turns out that Bungie's latest Halo project was originally part of the program for Microsoft's press conference on Monday, but it was taken out of the lineup at the last minute. Don Mattrick, senior vice president of Microsoft's Xbox games business, said the company decided to pull Halo ...

... to help trim its E3 presentation to under 90 minutes, from 2 1/2 hours, to accommodate attention-challenged reporters. "We had an embarrassment of riches," Mattrick said. "We felt we could do this game more justice with a more dedicated event."

Still doesn't explain why they put the kibosh on the B.net unvealing. But at least we've got the reason why it wasn't at E3.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
With Mattrick wanting a "dedicated" event to this news, an X08 seems more and more likely this year, but that means we'll have to wait another two months for more information/unveiling.

Damn it. :(

jacobs34

It looks like both IGN and Gamespot had to divert from their original schedules, I wonder if that had anything to do with the botched Bungie announcement, I know Skip was going to have Luke on 1 Up Yours, but that fell through. Wow, what a terrible job Microsoft has done with all of this. I hope they learn their lesson... but they probably didn't.

The only good thing I see out of this is that we are going to be in for a great show when M-Soft wants to unleash Forza 3, Bungie's new title, and (dare I say it) Ninja Blade on us.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Don Mattrick, senior vice president of Microsoft's Xbox games business, said the company decided to pull Halo ...

I wish that entire block was a direct quote from Mattrick.

EazyB

Banned
urk said:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/07/halo-bungie-e3.html

If they wanted to trim anything off it should've been all that shit in the middle of the conference. Instead of Bungie they had some cheap singer out there for forever.

Domino Theory said:
With Mattrick wanting a "dedicated" event to this news, an X08 seems more and more likely this year, but that means we'll have to wait another two months for more information/unveiling.

Damn it. :(
Well they better let Bungie announce it before or at PAX because it Bungie's PAX plans are ruined I'll be pretty pissed.

jacobs34

What's crazy is that this was their big chance to pimp both of their huge franchises at one event. If they would have started the conference with Gears 2 and ended the conference with the new Bungie product they would have truly walked away from this E3 with positive press from everyone. I still think the FF13 announcement was amazing, but why hold back? Especially if it is only for a couple of months. Ah... this whole situation boggles the mind.

GavinGT

Banned
Another Halo game? Boo. This was no doubt forced upon them by Microsoft....I can't see Bungie wanting to make another one.

It also somewhat extinguishes my hope for a Live-enabled version of Halo, since that wouldn't even require Bungie's involvement.

jacobs34 said:
What's crazy is that this was their big chance to pimp both of their huge franchises at one event. If they would have started the conference with Gears 2 and ended the conference with the new Bungie product they would have truly walked away from this E3 with positive press from everyone. I still think the FF13 announcement was amazing, but why hold back? Especially if it is only for a couple of months. Ah... this whole situation boggles the mind.

Because they still blew away the competition. They didn't need Halo for that, so they saved it for another day.

PhatSaqs

Banned
So now that everyone knows whats coming anyway all this shit looks very, very stupid and could have all been avoided if Bungie just swallowed their pride and not thrown "the publisher" to the wolves.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Why couldnt they cut the casual crap if they had fat to trim.

GIMMIE HALO and THE OTHER BIG KAHUNA.

jacobs34

GavinGT said:
Another Halo game? Boo. This was no doubt forced upon them by Microsoft....I can't see Bungie wanting to make another one.

It also somewhat extinguishes my hope for a Live-enabled version of Halo, since that wouldn't even require Bungie's involvement.

Because they still blew away the competition. They didn't need Halo for that, so they saved it for another day.

I don't think that Bungie is contractally obligated to make Halo games anymore. I could be wrong on this. I can see M-Soft throwing a bunch of money at Bungie to make a new one though.

Proelite

GavinGT said:

Bungie is independent so they can't be forced to make any new game. There are a significant portion of Bungie that can't leave Halo so they're working on 3 projects at once. Microsoft has first right of refusal for all these projects, and they chose to fund the New Halo game. They also own the Halo ip so technically they could let any studio make a Halo game.

nyong

Banned
Well, looks like I gave MS too much credit. Someone somewhere in PR should fry for this one. Not only did they give the fans a big FU, they screwed Bungie by stealing their thunder and announcing the game anyhow in the stupidest way possible. Unbelievable.

No way will this not hurt Bungie and Microsoft's relationship.

S1kkZ

so, instead of a new halo we got: duffy, lips, shitty mii clones and 3 old people playing with a camera.

i have to agree with mattrick here.

Wallach

PhatSaqs said:
So now that everyone knows whats coming anyway all this shit looks very, very stupid and could have all been avoided if Bungie just swallowed their pride and not thrown "the publisher" to the wolves.

Wait, what?

If they don't really care so much about us knowing what's coming maybe they should have let the developers reveal the god damn thing in the first place. It's Bungie's many man hours of work gone to waste regarding this announcement, not Microsoft's.

Either way it wouldn't have avoided the situation whether Bungie had called them out on it or not.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Proelite said:
Bungie is independent so they can't be forced to make any new game. There are a significant portion of Bungie that can't leave Halo so they're working on 3 projects at once. Microsoft has first right of refusal for all these projects, and they chose to fund the New Halo game. They also own the Halo ip so technically they could let any studio make a Halo game.

They are under contract to make two titles to be published by Microsoft. The details are private, so we don't know if these are holdovers from when Microsoft has ownership or part of the bargaining process that resulted in the break, but they are certainly obligated.

I love how Mattrick says he wanted to save the announcement for a more fitting venue where focus could be placed on Bungie's new title, yet earlier today he revealed that the title is indeed a Halo project in the most unceremonious way possible.

Mashing

Bungie should just go to Sony and make the next Halo game for PS3. This is ridiculous.

Edit: but apparently they don't own the IP, so that's out of the question.

Blueblur1

urk said:
I love how Mattrick says he wanted to save the announcement for a more fitting venue where focus could be placed on Bungie's new title, yet earlier today he revealed that the title is indeed a Halo project in the most unceremonious way possible.
Mattrick is my new Jeff Bell.

duk

Banned
Mashing said:
Bungie should just go to Sony and make the next Halo game for PS3. This is ridiculous.

i dont think it'll sell well on a sony console anyways

Mashing said:

as if sony takes better care of thier products . bungie is just egoistic

PhatSaqs

Banned
Wallach said:
Wait, what?

If they don't really care so much about us knowing what's coming maybe they should have let the developers reveal the god damn thing in the first place. It's Bungie's many man hours of work gone to waste regarding this announcement, not Microsoft's.

Either way it wouldn't have avoided the situation whether Bungie had called them out on it or not.
Was MS wrong for cancelling the announcement after all the build up? I guess that depends on if you buy and/or agree with their reasoning. Even if you think it was wrong it still didnt have to go down the road it did. Bungies letter pretty much forced MS to answer questions as to why it happened since they didnt care to mask it with a simple apology and "just wait a little longer please."

Given all that, Mattrick is retarded for saying what it is.

jacobs34

Jtyettis said:
Two big kahunas left eh. Well that is an interesting nugget I would say.

I'd say the two "big kahunas" are Bungie's (still) unannounced project and either Forza 3, or Ninja Blade. Perhaps we should start a pool.

Wallach

PhatSaqs said:
Was MS wrong for cancelling the announcement after all the build up? I guess that depends on if you buy and/or agree with their reasoning. Even if you think it was wrong it still didnt have to go down the road it did. Bungies letter pretty much forced MS to answer questions as to why it happened since they didnt care to mask it with a simple apology and "just wait a little longer please."

Given all that, Mattrick is retarded for saying what it is.

If Bungie had been vague about what happened, it doesn't mean the questions weren't going to get asked, just that those questions would wind up being directed at Bungie themselves instead of Microsoft. Bungie would have had to dodge all of them to avoid revealing Microsoft being the cause, and for what? It's hard to imagine they really feel that any respect was paid to them in the first place given that Microsoft gave them the go-ahead at some point to begin this reveal campaign and just pulled it at the last second with what seems like little or no regard for the amount of work that was put into it.

They deserve to field those questions if they are going to be as ham-fisted as this in their relationships with developers this close to them.

Jtyettis said:
Two big kahunas left eh. Well that is an interesting nugget I would say.

He's talking about the GTA content.
Heres the quote:

So Microsoft's decision to pull Halo from its presentation led to quite a bit of head scratching.

Mattrick put a positive spin on the development, saying that Microsoft had managed to build such a solid foundation that it no longer needed to depend on one or two games to succeed. He noted that the company also left out Grand Theft Auto IV. Microsoft snagged exclusive content for the game that will be made available to its Xbox 360 players this fall.

"Two big kahunas were left out of the show, and we were still able to deliver a strong performance," Mattrick said.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's a smart move. They will talk about Halo and GTA at their own 360-specific event, probably this fall.

So we could have had an epic 150 minute rapefest of the competition, but instead Don Mattrick decides it's ok to just squeeze ahead of the other 2 with FFXIII? I'm sure announcing Halo 4 and GTA: Whatever would have pleased the stockholders just as much as two separate shows, if not even moreso when so easily compared to Sony and Nintendo's showing.

Falagard

So stupid. Microsoft decides not to show Bungie's new game nor allow Bungie to reveal the game themselves, and yet they offhandedly reveal that the game is a Halo game.

The people at Bungie must be fuming right now. We weren't sure it was a Halo game at all until today, and then Mattrick goes ahead and lets the cat out of the bag. Nice work.

Well, I guess we know why Alan Tudyk and the rest of the Firefly gang were in recording new voice work at Bungie recently.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Ether_Snake said:
It's a smart move. They will talk about Halo and GTA at their own 360-specific event, probably this fall.

That's fucking lame. We were supposed to know about Bungie's project 11hrs ago. We were all supposed to be gitty, surprised, amazed, speculative. But that's all gone to a later date just because Microsoft felt what they had was enough.

Yeah, Microsoft, I want avatars and fat chicks shaking their asses over Bungie's project.

Read me like a book.

Falagard

Domino Theory said:
That's fucking lame. We were supposed to know about Bungie's project 11hrs ago. We were all supposed to be gitty, surprised, amazed, speculative. But that's all gone to a later date just because Microsoft felt what they had was enough.

Yeah, Microsoft, I want avatars and fat chicks shaking their asses over Bungie's project.

Read me like a book.

:lol

Me too actually. I dig fat chicks.

Top Bottom